Sharing is caring

Could anyone shed a bit more light on 'Sharing is caring'? I've played for about 30 hours, finished the main story and a tonne of side achievements but haven't been able to get this one. I've done the whale and the convoy one I just can't find a chest anywhere?

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could anyone shed a bit more light on 'Sharing is caring'? I've played for about 30 hours, finished the main story and a tonne of side achievements but haven't been able to get this one. I've done the whale and the convoy one I just can't find a chest anywhere?

It's random, the other night I was finding a social chest on every little patch of land in the sea, since then I've had nothing.

It's random, the other night I was finding a social chest on every little patch of land in the sea, since then I've had nothing.

Surely if I've put in around 30 hours I should have seen at least one by now :(. Do they appear on the map at all or you just kind of stumble across them?

I'm not sure if sharing is caring is for just sharing a single item or sharing one of every item, while in the sea you should have come across white whales - those are always shared, and occasionally you'll come across blue (not white) convoys which are shared, chests you'll find at random on islands I've personally only seen 2 of them, so when hunting for animus/chests on the tiny islands that don't have names you should find at least one.

From what I've heard you have to open the chest for it to count (but why wouldn't you open it anyways), same with hunting and convoy attacking but I can't confirm this as my first reaction is to attack these things for all the money they hold.

I'm not sure if sharing is caring is for just sharing a single item or sharing one of every item, while in the sea you should have come across white whales - those are always shared, and occasionally you'll come across blue (not white) convoys which are shared, chests you'll find at random on islands I've personally only seen 2 of them, so when hunting for animus/chests on the tiny islands that don't have names you should find at least one.

From what I've heard you have to open the chest for it to count (but why wouldn't you open it anyways), same with hunting and convoy attacking but I can't confirm this as my first reaction is to attack these things for all the money they hold.

I must have got about 10 chests and 2 white walls in a few hours of playing, all on one section of the map no less. Since then I haven't found a whale, convoy or a chest.

I'm in the same situation as Nercay on this one.

I've played the game for about 30 hours now, have explored virtually every location at sea and haven't seen any of the whales, convoys or chests yet. I'm starting to wonder if I'm doing something wrong or I've been extremely unlucky.

I know this one is luck based but surely I should have seen something by now. I'm at sequence 6 in the story btw.

I also have that white wifi symbol in the corner of my screen if that helps and my uplay passport has been activated if it even matters.

Really hoping I see one of these things soon lol!

I actually just got this after wondering what to do too. You have to make sure the icons on the map are blue and not white and the ones at sea have to be viewed through the spying glass. The game will tell you to hold down on the d pad to view it in which case I shared the white whale and naval convoy ones.

I've played 60 hours now. I've had several convoys appear, a handful of whales and a handful of social chests in the 1st 50 hours. ... fast forwarding to the past few hours ... Today I hit the social jackpot. I've opened about 10 blue chests and seen many blue convoys.

It seems quite random to me, but perhaps story or % completion progress factors into it.

I've played 60 hours now. I've had several convoys appear, a handful of whales and a handful of social chests in the 1st 50 hours. ... fast forwarding to the past few hours ... Today I hit the social jackpot. I've opened about 10 blue chests and seen many blue convoys.

It seems quite random to me, but perhaps story or % completion progress factors into it.

So weird, I've seen plenty of whales and convoys but not a single chest in now 35 hours. Worried this one will never pop.

So weird, I've seen plenty of whales and convoys but not a single chest in now 35 hours. Worried this one will never pop.

I recommend collecting all the ordinary chests on the small islands/sandbars at sea. I often encountered a blue chest at these locations, when I was actually a few meters away from them. For the blue chests, I found that you have to be pretty close to them for the blue icon to appear on your map.

I also found a couple of blue chests in the underwater caverns (deep sea diving missions). Others popped up on the beach of the larger islands.

I recommend collecting all the ordinary chests on the small islands/sandbars at sea. I often encountered a blue chest at these locations, when I was actually a few meters away from them. For the blue chests, I found that you have to be pretty close to them for the blue icon to appear on your map.

I also found a couple of blue chests in the underwater caverns (deep sea diving missions). Others popped up on the beach of the larger islands.

Agree. All my blue chests appear suddenly on uncharted islands or smuggler den.

Also, I can confirm the achievement unlocks immediately after seeing the chest. There's no need to open it. The Social Chest was my last Sharing is Caring item, and before I realized a chest spawned the achievement popped.

Another thing, yesterday two R. Convoys appeared within 30 mins for me, and two white whales showed up almost consecutively, while the other day nothing showed up even after sea roaming for hours.

I found a Blue Chest last night while wandering around in Nassau, now my biggest question about this is do I have to have a friend online at the time I find these things or since I'm always online and it automatically shares it, does the aforementioned friend online thing nothing to worry about?

I found a Blue Chest last night while wandering around in Nassau, now my biggest question about this is do I have to have a friend online at the time I find these things or since I'm always online and it automatically shares it, does the aforementioned friend online thing nothing to worry about?

Don't need a friend online thankfully as no one on my list has the bloody game!!!

How are you getting them to appear at all? I have been playing about 50 hours, have my uplay passport active, social network sharing allowed, and the white wi/fi symbol white. But I have not seen any one of the blue social discoveries even once! Someone anyone please tell me how to fix this!

How are you getting them to appear at all? I have been playing about 50 hours, have my uplay passport active, social network sharing allowed, and the white wi/fi symbol white. But I have not seen any one of the blue social discoveries even once! Someone anyone please tell me how to fix this!

I think the servers are currently down, if the servers are down then they won't appear.

One thing that I read which I tried and worked for me was to reset my password and change a bit of my profile on the Uplay site itself. I was stuck with 3 Royal Convoys showing on my map although they really weren't there and no new white whale locations or social chests popping up for me.

After reading the Ubisoft forums one of the users suggested this. I tried it and although I didn't see any changes immediately, about 20 minutes after I did it I had a new royal convoy spawn up near me. After I defeated it I traveled to Abaco island where a social chest was supposed to spawn and it also popped up there which gave me the achievement. I was able to go to a few different places and get a few more social chests to pop up which gave me the 3 that I needed for the Abstergo Challenges also. I still have the original glitched royal convoy icons stuck on my map though (as of yesterday morning).

So you might try to make these changes to your account and see if it has any impact for you.

An easy way to get this achievement is to have quite a few people on your friends list who play the game around the time you usually do since sitings have time limits. Two people and myself were all sailing around and we kept sharing sitings. Every time I received one I would sail there and site it myself adding to my count as well. In about 2 hours of playing my count was 1 social chest, 2 naval conveys and 1 white whale plus half the time I was doing other things. Hope this helps.

I'm only at sequence 3, have just reached Nassau today. I already got a chest in Havanna and one on the small island you visit just before Nassau. I also saw several royal convoys around there (I had one friend playing the game online if that matters).

Question: do I have to do anything when I see a royal convoy? Someone mentioned activating the spyglass with RB, is that necessary?

Well I'm about 30 hours into the game, only in Sequence 7 or 8 of the main story but I have all of the map open and every location is gold except 5 of the sunken ships, and I have yet to see a single social event, and I've probably fast traveled maybe 5 times total while playing. I sail everywhere and haven't seen a single one. Every time I see a blue dot I get excited and then realize it's just a stupid ally ship.

So for the social chest I'm pretty clear, it's a blue chest that appears on your map when you're pretty close to it, and I'll hope for one when I go around to collect all of the Uncharted collectibles.

For the white whale, does it just pop up on your map when you're close, and does it look like the other sea animal harpooning areas? Is this thing massive and therefore likely more prominent in the bottom half of the map? Likewise for the blue royal convoy, will it just pop up randomly on my map, or do I have to be sailing close to it and suddenly it's there? Cause I've done a ton of sailing and destroyed maybe 4 or 5 royal convoys (their loot normally sucks so I don't bother), and never have seen one.

I noticed the last 3-4 days that I've gone on to play, it says at the bottom of the screen that the Ubisoft servers are down and to try again later. I assume they have to be up for these to pop up.

Maybe we can just start a thing on this thread where people post social events as soon as they find them, with their location and how much time is left before they're gone, and that way others who apparently haven't been lucky enough to stumble across one or even be playing when the servers are up can still manage to get this stupid achievement. So if someone can please post a social location as soon as they see one, that'd be much appreciated by probably a lot of people on here.

I'm only at sequence 3, have just reached Nassau today. I already got a chest in Havanna and one on the small island you visit just before Nassau. I also saw several royal convoys around there (I had one friend playing the game online if that matters).

Question: do I have to do anything when I see a royal convoy? Someone mentioned activating the spyglass with RB, is that necessary?

I can't remember, but is it an Abstergo Challenge? You could go in there and see if it counted, if you didn't use the spyglass.

Also, do you recall how long ago you got the chests and where they were and how much time was left for them?

I can't remember, but is it an Abstergo Challenge? You could go in there and see if it counted, if you didn't use the spyglass.

Also, do you recall how long ago you got the chests and where they were and how much time was left for them?

Well, the chest in Havanna should be gone by now. But the other one on Abaco Island could still be there. They stay for 3 hours when you discover them, and I found that one about 2 or 2 1/2 hours ago, same goes for the convoys.

edit: I think I can recall that the convoys I saw were shared without using the spyglass. There was this message that popped up saying it was shared...

Edited by KiDDo