Why don't they use actual car manufacturer names?

daardu

Sorry if it's already been explained but I don't understand. Correct me if I'm wrong but GTA and Midnight Club are both published by Rockstar games, yet Midnight Club manages to name their vehicles genuinely. I have thought that maybe it has to do with the developers because GTA is Developed by Rockstar North and Midnight Club by Rockstar San Diego/London. This is just a little matter I can't seem to comprehend.

They've always used fake names because getting the license to use the real manufacturers was very expensive and uncommon when GTA1 game out.

I'm positive they can afford it now but they may keep the fake names for nostalgia.

This and plus it's just more fun when they come up with a name for a car. If it saves money for them and doesn't affect the game or ruin gameplay then it's understandable.

imo the name isn't important, only the car design is, like how that new car that is essentially the Audi R8 is going to be the Audi R8 to me no matter what.

Exactly, If you know what the car looks like.. you shouldnt really have a problem if the name is different. I think its fun looking at cars and guessing what the car is suppose to be in real life

Sorry if it's already been explained but I don't understand. Correct me if I'm wrong but GTA and Midnight Club are both published by Rockstar games, yet Midnight Club manages to name their vehicles genuinely. I have thought that maybe it has to do with the developers because GTA is Developed by Rockstar North and Midnight Club by Rockstar San Diego/London. This is just a little matter I can't seem to comprehend.

Do you have any idea how much it would cost to pay all the licensing rights to all these car names? EA (Need for Speed) and Microsoft (Forza) can but Take2 doesn't have that kind of money. It's either get all licensing or none of them.

Plus, there's more originality and irony/sarcasm (which GTA is mostly about) with coming up with "fake" names.

They've always used fake names because getting the license to use the real manufacturers was very expensive and uncommon when GTA1 game out.

I'm positive they can afford it now but they may keep the fake names for nostalgia.

I doubt they could afford it. They would need to license so many different names that they'd piss away half their budget on licensing fees.

How many car companies or any retail manufacturer for that matter would want to be associated with GTA. I'm not trying to put he game down or anything, I love the franchise but I really doubt that they would even be able to get licensing for most of the companies just because they don't want their image used in a game like GTA.

Plus, there's more originality and irony/sarcasm (which GTA is mostly about) with coming up with "fake" names.

This.

Part of the GTA franchise was taking the piss out of as many companies as possible without getting in any sort of legal shit.

Personally, I think those who started at 4 or San Andreas are missing the point. GTA is sticking with a sort of consistency that shows through what the GTA image is all about.

• 4 weeks later...
I don't think car companies would want it licensed in this franchise because of the notoriety involved like "promoting" vehicular manslaughter to now drinking & driving

I saw this thread in recent posts and I was coming to post what you just said.

The likes of Mazda, BMW, Nissan, Toyota and any other car manufacturer already deal with bullshit in the real world. By associating themselves with Grand Theft Auto, it draws a bigger, negative picture of the company.

Imagine is a 22 year old Toyota driver was speeding and he/she ended up killing herself in a car wreck, then the media put out a story that he/she had a Toyota parked in her garage in the game? I know, it sounds stupid, but car companies do not want nor do they need that type of publicity.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You know what I missed in GTA IV that wasn't in previous games, was that each license plate had it's own number too. Every single one in GTA IV just said Liberty City, it felt so boring. I always enjoyed trying to make them out in previous GTA games. I was happy to see that small feature return in GTA V. Too bad they don't take it one step further and add comedy to them like how some plates have comedy to them.

Like my neighbors plate said HUGABUG. That would be comedy gold if R* did that with the car plates. You get in a car and drive off only to crack up laughing at the plate you just saw.

You know what I missed in GTA IV that wasn't in previous games, was that each license plate had it's own number too. Every single one in GTA IV just said Liberty City, it felt so boring. I always enjoyed trying to make them out in previous GTA games. I was happy to see that small feature return in GTA V. Too bad they don't take it one step further and add comedy to them like how some plates have comedy to them.

Like my neighbors plate said HUGABUG. That would be comedy gold if R* did that with the car plates. You get in a car and drive off only to crack up laughing at the plate you just saw.

You never know, Rockstar and their attention to the tiniest details they may just add custom plates to say..the more prominent characters personal cars that may or may not just be seen in cutscenes. I can only imagine. :p

• 2 months later...