Why does everyone like this game?!

marty da stooge

Edit: That video posted above is really terrible. Please don't let it ruin your impression of this game. Machinima is just a machine that churns out unfunny shit on a daily basis.

So hey, if you're anything like me and have heard so much about this game yet you really don't want to play it yourself but still want to experience it, there's this really amazing Let's Play that was done over at the Something Awful forums. I had heard about the Let's Play and while bored at work I decided to give the first video a try. Before I knew it I had marathoned all the videos in 3 days. It really is an amazing series.

The guy playing, supergreatfriend, it loves the game and treats it with the respect that it deserves. If you know nothing about the game, especially how the case unfolds, this series he made is real treat and will have you hooked in a few episodes.

I'll post the first episode here and I suppose if you like it, you can find the rest on his channel.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFpYKx9m3NU&feature=channel_video_title]YouTube - ‪Let's Play Deadly Premonition p. 1 - Agent Smug (1/3)‬‏[/ame]

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I love it, despite it's awful controls and shooting mechanics, it's like playing Twin Peaks, just everything has a different name. I really don't mind the graphics at all, it's a really old game so it shouldn't matter. It's not a game you just pick up and put down, you've got to play it for a long time and invest time into it. There's a reason why Jim Sterling gave it a 10.

I don't expect everything when the Xbox360 was first launched to look like what it's capable of today.

Seriously, watch Twin Peaks, play deadly Premonition, then maybe Alan Wake, because that's pretty Twin Peaks too.

I love it, despite it's awful controls and shooting mechanics, it's like playing Twin Peaks, just everything has a different name. I really don't mind the graphics at all, it's a really old game so it shouldn't matter. It's not a game you just pick up and put down, you've got to play it for a long time and invest time into it. There's a reason why Jim Sterling gave it a 10.

I don't expect everything when the Xbox360 was first launched to look like what it's capable of today.

Seriously, watch Twin Peaks, play deadly Premonition, then maybe Alan Wake, because that's pretty Twin Peaks too.

Quote, i've to watch Twin Peaks.

• 1 month later...
I rented this game knowing nothing about it. I saw it on the shelf while browsing at Blockbuster, thought it looked like it was worth a shot, and went for it. I gave it a solid hour of play. This is my timeline:

Opening cutscene: Wow, these are some clunky graphics. Is this a rerelease? *check back of box* 2010!? Holy shit, indie games on XBLA look better than this, they weren't even trying! Ugh, these voices are terrible, hopefully the main character is tolerable...

Given control: This looks like David Lynch and Killer 7 had sex all over Nobuhiko Obayashi's "House". Oh GOD, those two brats are back. Just go over here...if I can just...fuck, this guy controls like a forklift. *pray there are no fast moving enemies*

ANOTHER opening cutscene: OH BLEEDING EARS, the voices keep getting worse! Oh look, our hero is a schizophrenic. Five bucks says we never learn who Zach is supposed to be.

Finally, the game part of the fuckin game: Of course we're stranded in the dark woods. These games can never start in, say, a hotel lobby. That would be too original. It doesn't look like the game is about to tell me what I'm supposed to be doing, either. The hell? There's no way out of this clearing... *try every item I can figure out how to activate* God, this is just bad design...Can't get out. *consult gamefaqs* Oh, I can shoot the barriers down? Well, ain't that the pinnacle of obvious. Not. *Finally escape the damn clearing*

First encounter: What. Just, what. These things all have Joker makeup. They didn't even try to hide it. It's just Joker makeup. There goes any "horror" part of this alleged "survival horror".

Finally reach the road: Okay, I'm done. No more. Back to Blockbuster you go, never to darken my hard drive again.

I think you can gather that I hated it. I've heard since that there's a good story, blah blah blah, but I'm just not willing to slog through what amounts to blatantly amateurish gameplay just to learn who Zach is. I am willing to sort through flaws for an overall good game, see Psychonauts or Hydrophobia, but if the story is the only saving grace, I'd rather read a book.

Sorry ALL I GATHERED FROM THAT SYNOPSIS WAS YOU MADE SAME MISTAKE AS THE OTHERS. PUT THE GAME DOWN AFTER AN HOUR.....im downloading it now from XBLM for 20$ well 10 because i have 10 n my acct already. So to me 4rm vids i seen and articles i read.

IF YOUR NOT GONNA GIVE THE GAME A COUPLE HOURS TO GROW ON YOU...then don't waste the gas/or downloading space to play it

if u get the game because it seems like R.E series or a SCARRYYY ALAN WAKE type game. You will be disappointed 4rm the start.

instead heres my plan

FOLLOW THIS AND YOU SHOULD ENJOY IT!!

UNDERSTAND GOING INTO IT THAT THE SMALL DEVELOPER DOES NOT HAVE

the engines or financial backing of a major market title.

Know the controllers r clunky and gameplay mechanics have a learning curve (THIS GAME WAS NOT MEANT TO HAVE FPS STRONG POINTS)

Instead embrace the cast of characters

(of course i have not started game but researched it alot be4 spending the lil $$ on it). But embrace the cast. The voice acting , and the overall diversity of what a good story telling game should be Main pointed

and thats simply the characters make / or break the game. If they saddled every guy/girl npc on the game with dry voice acting and even more dry side quest. I could see the game being bitch worthy

but all the endless bitching about grahpics and controls is annoying

U take games like this 4 what they're worth. If your a guy whod rather mind numb wave after wave of bad guys and watch shit explode. in slo-mo

and could care less about a good story / good characters

then DON'T BUY THE GAME.

BUT PLEASE DON'T COMPLAIN ABOUT THINGS THAT NO INDY DEVELOP. CAN PERFECT. makes people sound less intelligent when all they do is reply to a post using what others have said to base their opinion. Then check there games and they did not even complete first episode HAHA

RED DEAD REDEMPTION PISSED ME OFF FIRST 20 MINUTES....IM like how much longer do i gotta rope horses in a desert for missions?? lol 28 hrs of gameplay later and i 100% red dead. That just showed me how i should never drop games without giving everything they have to offer a chance

GONNA START PLAYTHROUGH SOON...WOULD U WANNA WATCH MY PLAYHROUGH WITH LIVE COMMENTARY ?? SO U CAN KNOW MY OPINIONS AS I GO THROUGH if ud watch my playthru on youtube please mesage Bluntz4breakfas on xbx live n tell me u would

Sorry ALL I GATHERED FROM THAT SYNOPSIS WAS YOU MADE SAME MISTAKE AS THE OTHERS. PUT THE GAME DOWN AFTER AN HOUR.....im downloading it now from XBLM for 20$ well 10 because i have 10 n my acct already. So to me 4rm vids i seen and articles i read.

IF YOUR NOT GONNA GIVE THE GAME A COUPLE HOURS TO GROW ON YOU...then don't waste the gas/or downloading space to play it

if u get the game because it seems like R.E series or a SCARRYYY ALAN WAKE type game. You will be disappointed 4rm the start.

instead heres my plan

FOLLOW THIS AND YOU SHOULD ENJOY IT!!

UNDERSTAND GOING INTO IT THAT THE SMALL DEVELOPER DOES NOT HAVE

the engines or financial backing of a major market title.

Know the controllers r clunky and gameplay mechanics have a learning curve (THIS GAME WAS NOT MEANT TO HAVE FPS STRONG POINTS)

Instead embrace the cast of characters

(of course i have not started game but researched it alot be4 spending the lil $$ on it). But embrace the cast. The voice acting , and the overall diversity of what a good story telling game should be Main pointed

and thats simply the characters make / or break the game. If they saddled every guy/girl npc on the game with dry voice acting and even more dry side quest. I could see the game being bitch worthy

but all the endless bitching about grahpics and controls is annoying

U take games like this 4 what they're worth. If your a guy whod rather mind numb wave after wave of bad guys and watch shit explode. in slo-mo

and could care less about a good story / good characters

then DON'T BUY THE GAME.

BUT PLEASE DON'T COMPLAIN ABOUT THINGS THAT NO INDY DEVELOP. CAN PERFECT. makes people sound less intelligent when all they do is reply to a post using what others have said to base their opinion. Then check there games and they did not even complete first episode HAHA

RED DEAD REDEMPTION PISSED ME OFF FIRST 20 MINUTES....IM like how much longer do i gotta rope horses in a desert for missions?? lol 28 hrs of gameplay later and i 100% red dead. That just showed me how i should never drop games without giving everything they have to offer a chance

GONNA START PLAYTHROUGH SOON...WOULD U WANNA WATCH MY PLAYHROUGH WITH LIVE COMMENTARY ?? SO U CAN KNOW MY OPINIONS AS I GO THROUGH if ud watch my playthru on youtube please mesage Bluntz4breakfas on xbx live n tell me u would

- All I need to say here is amen and respect, to you.

Nothing is perfect

Good games just like good things need (Patience).

Play through and than give your opinion.

REGARDLESS though!!***** Just started playing and all I am going to say is; I've finally found the game I've been looking for.

Not FEAR

Not Condemned 2 Bloodshot,

but this, this is, ahh intriguing.

;) Enjoy! (Bluntz4Breakfas) and everyone else who gives the game 'patience'.

• 3 months later...

Okay. i heard so much good about this game that i bought it (for 12€).

i knew in advance it would be ugly, and with a gameplay close to the one from resident evil 4.

I did however start it with the best intentions, but after 6 hours, i just can't take it anymore, i quit.

i hate not finishing a game i started, but it's just too much.

so, graphics, like most people said, it does look like playstation 2, apart from some faces which look a little better. graphics don't do everything of course, but it still tends to make my eyes cry :)

the gameplay. that's really one of the 2 things that got me in the end. limited sprint, ok, but not when the characters sprints THAT slowly. when in town, it's ok, but whenever you need to explore a couple of remote locations that can't be accessed by cars, you have to do it on foot, and it just takes way too long just to collect a piece of bone. The shooting is really basic, but i might have been able to withstand it a bit more, if the shooting scenes were not as shitty as they are. I mean, take the 6 first hours of the game, if you take out these so called action scenes, which are pretty useless since it's all in the schyzophrenic character's head, it would be a lot better. the investigation in itself is intereseting, but as soon as you get in the other world, you know you have nothing to do except just make your way back, shooting the same guys moonwalking with their heads low. ok for a couple of minutes, but 3 times 15 mn, is already way too much for me. had they taken out these fucking scenes, i would keep playing the game. but unfortunately, it does seem that for every scene you play, you also get one of these shitty combat scenes.

now, the dialogs are great, ok, but the story takes way too much time to progress. i prefer to have 10 interesting hours, than 20 hours, during which half will just make me feel like i am doing it just for the sake of the game being considered as having a good duration. 10 mns between 2 spots because the car is so slow, and the map so poorly done that i took a wrong turn and had to go all the way back, it's also a pain in the ass.

i kinda liked the soundtrack apart from the fact it is really repetitive, and the music totally covers some of the dialogs at times (volontary???).

apart from the pretty funny lines about b movies, the fbi agent always talking to his imaginary friend does get on my nerves too. same goes with the fact that the shitty action scenes so far are only in his fucking head. he's the psycho who should be locked up, not profiling.

now as i said, i really had good intentions, but the pros just got crushed by the cons for me in this game.

besides, the "david lynch-twin peaks" inspiration part is really not my cup of tea, since apart from dune, i never like his films because it was never with a clear story.

now for a good investigation, and with a good gameplay as well, i m just gonna replay L.A. Noire to repair the brain damage i've sustained after 6 hours of deadly premonition.

same goes with the fact that the shitty action scenes so far are only in his fucking head.

Who said they were in his head? ;)

I can understand why a lot of people hate this game. The first time I played it I struggled to get through it. Controls are bad. Map is terrible. If you want to give this game a try then you MUST get the radio early. Your enjoyment of the game will improve dramatically if you don't have to drive everywhere. I also think the achievements are part of the problem on this version. I just got the PS3 Director's Cut a couple of months ago and not only do you only have to play through it once, with slightly improved controls, but every side mission has a Trophy attached to it making it a lot funner for us Trophy/Achievement hunters.

• 3 months later...

This is one of those games that really caught me by surpise, as I did not at all expect to adore the game as much as I ended up doing.

Initially the game felt like some sort of video game equivalent of the movie "The Room", meaning that I enjoyed it in a sort of so-bad-it's-good kind of way. I still can't get over York multitasking in his car on his way to Greenvale, or the stock sound effects on the squirrels shortly after, which kinda sounds like monkeys.

After a few more hours of hilariously mismatched sound levels (regarding dialogue and background soundtrack), graphical "eye candy", and York discussing movies in his car..........I just stopped getting "ironic" enjoyment out of it though, and actually started to thoroughly enjoy the mystery and related investigation. There's some great gameplay mechanics and other neat details to be found, just small things like there not being any rain on the windshield of the car when inside of a tunnel etc. What I enjoyed the most, other than the story and presentation, would have to be the fact that many of the important characters actually had daily routines. You could go to the Milk Barn (grocery store) and run into the other characters as they went about their merry business. Or perhaps someone was stalking around a crime scene, prompting a mini quest.

My biggest shock was what happened when I lingered out on the cemetery after midnight........enough said without spoiling anything.

Another major thing for me, being an unapologetic Alan Wake fanboy, was the fact that Deadly Premonition was in a way what AW was conceived as; an open-world mystery game. The two games are different in execution of course, but I still enjoyed the similarities they shared.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
i hope its as good as i hear as im about to start playing it lol

Just started playing myself.. think im almost done with chapter 1.. and i am really really enjoying it... i cant put the controller down.. i wanna know more :p

at first i was like.. meh.. just another B class silent hill wanna be game but gave it a chance and loving it! :D