Going back to allready visited places?

Ashmira

Can you go back to earlier visited places before you finished the game once, or do i have to play it through atleast 1 time before i can travel freely through the game ? i'm just a couple of hours into the game and at Tiamat now, but looking at some guides i allready missed a couple of items.

Piggybacking on this, I'm at the same place in the game as the OP. When do you get the ability to travel via the serpent holes? I did a quick search of this forum and didn't see anything listed.

If I remember right it's just after you beat tiamat. (fairly early in the game)

you can go back to MOST places...but you can't go back to the Black Throne and to the level immediately after.. (don't want to spoil anything).
Ya you can go back to black throne.

After you beat the game you can go back to all areas where there are chests and collect everything.

To Mister binky,

I defeated Tiamat last night, and you get the serpent holes ability shortly after. Makes sence if you think about it as Tiamat is supposed to be the first 'real' boss in the game.

Tonight im going to get more usefull items i hope, just before Ulthane now.

I know that, but what I'm asking is do you only get it in that first area where you meet Vilgrim, and then loose it?

And then get it again somewhere else?

Or did I do something wrong?

You don't technically 'lose' the ability to see chests. It's a special scenario only applicable to the starting area to demonstrate the use of the hoardseeker item; a tutorial of sorts.

I'm not sure why Vigil decided to showcase it in the first area as there are no hoardseekers in the world map only in the actual dungeons.