Games on Demand - Yay or Nay?

ThePumpkinKing

Now, before anyone starts talking shit about the high prices of GoD. We all know all about them. And if you were to mention MW2, Everyone would certainly agree that Activision is anally raping anyone dumb enough to buy it. But with price drops now occurring on a weekly basis. The service is starting to make more and more sense.

Let's consider the advantages, both obvious, and not so obvious, to games on demand. First, obviously, is that you never have to change discs. Everything is a few button presses away. Next, and this is really the more important, and definitely less widely known. Is that games that run solely from the HD, run leaps and bounds better than anything off of a disc. And in most cases, even games installed to the HD. Perfect examples of this are GTA IV and Fable II. Two games that suffer from terrible lag even when you've installed them to the HD. I've purchased both via GoD, and they run flawlessly. No lag. Even more recent releases, like Red Dead Redmption and Alan Wake which are optimized for HD installation, see better performance and load times in GoD.

Now, the disadvantages. You don't have anything tangible. No case, no disc, no instruction manual. Some people really don't like this. But I personally just view things like this as taking up space I could put to better use. The next, and bigger issue, is that many feel that the service is over-priced. Before I purchased my first title from the service, I felt the same way. And in several cases, I still do. MW2, along with other CoD titles, are the worst offenders. Hell, Activision in general doesn't seem to understand that the value of their products diminishes significantly as the years go by. With CoD2 still being $29.99, this is ridiculously obvious. But a counter to this argument are publishers like EA and 2K games. Which seem to be on the forefront of price drops. With games like Borderlands, Bioshock 2, and Dante's Inferno recently dropped to just $19.99. It's also worth noting, that both publishers have several more games available on the service for the same price.

Now, here comes Reach to the service. Gotta say, I was not expecting to see it on the service this soon. Which begs the question: How much will they charge? Now, if the current retail price is anything to go buy, it'll end up being $39.99. If that's the case, I'll buy it. But, there's always the possibility that microsoft will attempt to bend over gamers, similar to the way Activision does, and try to charge $59.99. If it is, I'll skip it. But I'm not at all expecting this to be the case. On the contrary, it seems like Microsoft, and many publishers, are finally starting to understand that these games will not sell unless they're competitively priced.

So there you have it. I'm mostly (but not all) for Games on Demand. My reasons: Better overall performance, less clutter, easier accessibility. And finally, competitive pricing.

So, what do you think? And more importantly. Why?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've really wanted to purchase a few games from on demand, but in the end the prices just keep me from doing so. IMO everything needs to get cut by about 30-40%, after that I'd be more open to purchasing.

So, you're saying that they need to priced the service based on the used market? That'll never happen. Since they aren't selling us used games.

I should also add, that a large part of the reason I'm generally for the service is because the nearest used game dealer is a 25 minute drive away for me. So, if the service has something, like say Borderlands, for only $3.00 more than the game store 25 minutes away, it's makes more sense economically for me to buy it on demand. It's also worth noting that I don't have to worry about getting a scratched up game. Which seems to be a growing problem in the used games market. At least in the circles I travel in.

i didn't even have to read your OP.

NO.

why would i pay for overpriced GoD that doesn't even give me a hard copy? i could get a game that's on GoD for like $15 brand new, whereas on GoD it would cost like $30 or some shit. it's the biggest rip off ever.

So, you're saying that they need to priced the service based on the used market? That'll never happen. Since they aren't selling us used games.

I should also add, that a large part of the reason I'm generally for the service is because the nearest used game dealer is a 25 minute drive away for me. So, if the service has something, like say Borderlands, for only $3.00 more than the game store 25 minutes away, it's makes more sense economically for me to buy it on demand. It's also worth noting that I don't have to worry about getting a scratched up game. Which seems to be a growing problem in the used games market. At least in the circles I travel in.

get it online. no driving, you get a hard copy, and you get it cheaper. problem solved. you're basically saying that it's a great deal to buy GoD because it doesn't come with a disc? do you toss your discs around like a frisbee?

Edited by Vanilla Coke Zero

NO.

why would i pay for overpriced GoD that doesn't even give me a hard copy? i could get a game that's on GoD for like $15 brand new, whereas on GoD it would cost like $30 or some shit. it's the biggest rip off ever.

Well, you should've read the post. Because this response is about the most ignorant one I would've expected.

And please, by all means. Tell me what DECENT game out there retails ANYWHERE for $15. Because the last time I checked, the only games you can get that cheap are the games that scrape the bottom of the barrel.

Me and my girl have purchased a few and i love it..

I sold MW2 a few weeks before black ops hit.. Really Tired of black ops.

well we bought MW2 from GoD recently..Nothing different about it. Just conveneince of not having games that can be scratched lying around and not having to switch discs.. Plus i hate having Junk! if i can download all games at release on my console.. i would!! I have enough junk in my house.. I dont need it our room!

Other games ive bought are Dead Space 1, Mass Effect 1, NFS Most wanted, and Bad Company 2.. i do admit i could have saved probably 60 bucks if i bought these titles off ebay.. and then i could have bought a brand new game with the savings.. but like i said i hate junk! that is the reason i stay away from special edition game offers even if they include a game DLC thats exclusive (Reach Flames and Blops WaW zombie maps).. I just wont buy them as they come with useless junk to clutter my home.

A problem i do hate.. I can't resell the things.. I suppose i could if i downloaded all those GoD games on a separate account each time and then sold the account on ebay (probably would be flagged immediately) and then showed the buyer how to do the liscense transfer for the GoD on Xbox.com so his real account could play the game.

but for now, Im just gonna buy games that have replay value.. MW2 and Reach for online.

BC2 is a good online game but i will not continue to play it once i get the achievements for it.. As well as NFS Most Wanted and DS1, and ME1. So i would have been much better off Buying actual disc copies of these games so i can resell them.. but i was eager to try out GoD =/ Ill know better next time =]

The prices do need a bit of adjusting.. but alot are reasonable.

Edited by StillTIPPIN187

My friend recently purchased Bad Company 2 on GoD for £30 and it didn't even come with a VIP code, which I find ridiculous and a piss-take. I don't care much for digital purchases let alone ones that exceed High Street prices as I'd rather take the cheaper option. Also installing to my HD is enough for me.

get it online. no driving, you get a hard copy, and you get it cheaper. problem solved. you're basically saying that it's a great deal to buy GoD because it doesn't come with a disc? do you toss your discs around like a frisbee?

And wait a week to two weeks for it to reach me? No thanks. There's a reason the service is called On Demand.

And I never once said that it was a great deal because it didn't include a disc. It's definitely more convenient not having a disc, though. Especially if you're the type of person that could care less about having a disc, case, and manual. Which I am.

And wait a week to two weeks for it to reach me? No thanks. There's a reason the service is called On Demand.

And I never once said that it was a great deal because it didn't include a disc. It's definitely more convenient not having a disc, though. Especially if you're the type of person that could care less about having a disc, case, and manual. Which I am.

I agree.

It all depends on what you want.. If you like the boxes and game disc for collection purposes then you'll probably hate GoD games.

Or if you are big on reselling games then you'll hate GoD games..

But if some games i like to keep and i hate game boxes and stuff.. Just more junk to sit around my TV.. then ill buy a GoD game.

My friend recently purchased Bad Company 2 on GoD for £30 and it didn't even come with a VIP code, which I find ridiculous and a piss-take. I don't care much for digital purchases let alone ones that exceed High Street prices as I'd rather take the cheaper option. Also installing to my HD is enough for me.

This is true!

and VERY STUPID!

BUT, You can talk to EA online chat reps and have them give you a code.. I know its wrong.

I had to do the same thing when i bought the game.. which was a big mistake for me as i didn't plan on keeping this BC2 game.

This is true!

and VERY STUPID!

BUT, You can talk to EA online chat reps and have them give you a code.. I know its wrong.

I had to do the same thing when i bought the game.. which was a big mistake for me as i didn't plan on keeping this BC2 game.

Yeah, he didn't read the small print properly with the game info BUT he did buy it because of limited availability where he lives and he wanted it 'on demand' but it still doesn't excuse MS. I'm not sure why the GoD version isn't deemed as brand new. Seems silly to me.

This is true!

and VERY STUPID!

Thing is, it doesn't specifically say that the VIP code is included. So why you'd assume it's included is a mystery.

I see your point, though. And this is something they need to work on. I'd never buy a game from the service that requires an online pass. But as Still pointed out, have your friend get into a chat with an EA support rep. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that they'd give you a code no questions asked. Unorthodox solution, yes. But it works.

But again, like I said, they need to fix that.

Well, you should've read the post. Because this response is about the most ignorant one I would've expected.

And please, by all means. Tell me what DECENT game out there retails ANYWHERE for $15. Because the last time I checked, the only games you can get that cheap are the games that scrape the bottom of the barrel.

you can get ACII brand new or in like new condition in that price range. how much is it on GoD? like $20? $30? GoD is a rip off, no matter which way you slice it. it's just another way that MS steals your money. i hope we NEVER get to the point that everything is digitally distributed.

hey, it's your money, i can't tell you how to spend it.

you want to buy overpriced GoD that doesn't include anything except the bare bones? be my guest. me? i'll save my money and get my games cheaper. and BTW, if you're a university student, you can get amazon prime for free. that means you get a game in 2 days, tops. and i usually get my games in less than a week when i buy them off ebay. i have other things to do besides game. i'm not all "MUST, PLAY NOW! CAN'T WAIT!"

Edited by Vanilla Coke Zero

At the moment there are far too many problems with GoD:

-Requires a large amount of HD space and with them being proprietary (and only in certain sizes) this will quickly be a major problem if you download all your games.

-ISPs will likely cap your internet connection for the rest of the day if you download 5-6GBs of data.

-Overpriced titles that can be bought new cheaper online (also places like ShopTo do next day delivery as standard).

-Most titles can be bought pre-owned significantly cheaper than GoD prices, most shops offer free disc cleaning & a generous returns period if the item is faulty (usually up to a year depending on the store).

-Zero resale for GoD titles, which combined with unrealistic prices to start with, really hurt the service.

Edited by sm182

At the moment there are far too many problems with GoD:

-Requires a large amount of HD space and with them being proprietary (and only in certain sizes) this will quickly be a major problem if you download all your games.

-ISPs will likely cap your internet connection for the rest of the day if you download 5-6GBs of data.

-Overpriced titles that can be bought new cheaper online (also places like ShopTo do next day delivery as standard).

-Most titles can be bought pre-owned significantly cheaper than GoD prices, most shops offer free disc cleaning & a generous returns period if the item is faulty (usually up to a yeat depending on the store).

-Zero resale for GoD titles, which combined with unrealistic prices to start with, really hurt the service.

excellent post. this thread is over.

NO.

Agreed. Much rather have the disc and all of it's packaging than just a download taking up space on my hd.

You might have to wait for shipping but if you REALLY wanted any of these games that are on the games on demand service you probably would have had them already.

Looking at the list, it seems most of the time Amazon is a bit cheaper anyway:

Red Dead Redemption, Bad Company 2 - $39.99 G.o.d. - $36.99 Amazon

Modern Warfare 2 - $59.99 (???seriously???) g.o.d. - $32.27 amazon

halo 3 - 29.99 g.o.d. - 18.98 amazon

I'm sure the list goes on and if you shop around on ebay you can get em even cheaper.

So no to games on demand for me. I'll continue to shop Amazon for my new games and ebay for my used games and keep building my collection.

I should also add, that a large part of the reason I'm generally for the service is because the nearest used game dealer is a 25 minute drive away for me.

In that case I can see why this is more economically viable for you. In the end it just depends on a persons situation. My situation is that it's better for me, financially, to buy new games from other places like Amazon... at half the price I'm willing to wait a few weeks. I also have 4 stores within 2 miles of me that I go into as well. With all that said, on demand for me is just a waste of space. But for those that have very few retail options around them, and don't want to wait on mail, I can see why on demand works best.

Just FYI- you can get a new copy of Borderlands for $18.70 on Amazon right now. I can't access xbox.com where I'm at now but suffice to say I would expect on demand would be about $30. For about $40 you can get Borderlands GOTY on Amazon.

Edited by JAW LV

Apart from some other reasons people have mentioned, I don't really like GoD because at least when I'm done with a game I can get rid of it for some cash as with GoD I can't or I can at least let my friends borrow the game if they don't have it.

I don't particularly care for GoD, myself, for a couple of reasons. The price is one reason and taking up a lot of room on my hard drive is another.

I would rather have it sit on my shelf until I want to play it. I can then put the disk into my drive and play. With GoD, you take it off your drive and then if you decide to play again at a later date, you will have to redownload it.

Reasons I don't use GoD:

-Too expensive - Yeah yeah yeah, I know what you are saying, how they can't charge as much as used and etc, but really I would rather go to the store or online and look there for better prices

-No hard copy- I also prefer having hard copy of the game, for reasons states above: you can sell it, borrow it, do whatever you want with it. And in my case there is no HD space to store any retail games. PC games are a bit of an exception, sometimes I will buy digital because, let's face it, Steam kicks ass. Oh yeah, and I don't like downloading big files, especially if internet connection drops, it can be a pain. You buy a disc, you pop it in and there it is.

-No good selection - Personally, I am picky when it comes to games, I'm not a fan to big titles like, let's say L4D so I would rather go in person and get a hands on look to see if there's anything worth buying.

I can see how it is a convenient and useful service, but GoD is just not something I would look into.

I'm not at all interested in it personally. Like others have said they take up far too much HDD space and are often very overpriced. I've seen older games on there for up to four times as much as you could pay for a hard copy in some places.

I get where the appeal for some would come from though, especially in terms of convenience. The biggest factor for me would be that I love having the real thing in my hands to unwrap and look at, and stick on my shelf with all the others. My game library is one of my best collections and if digital distribution were to become the norm it'd be a bit gutting to be honest.

What happens when you try to play a GoD title on your hard drive, but in a friend's console? Does it do anything similar to Arcade games and not work unless your gamertag is signed into Live?

The only title I'd ever consider buying on GoD is SSF4, because even though I installed it when I bought the game the disc still managed to become scratched over time in other friends' consoles and my installation of it doesn't work if its my HD in a different console. Even then, I'd only buy it if I could do so via Microsoft points and not pound sterling because I'm not going to buy it via debit card- to my knowledge they still haven't made this possible, have they?

Not actually possessing a physical copy of a game wouldn't bother me at all as I have plenty of room on my drive, but I'm not the target audience for GoD because I only play the one game really- everything else would get less than 100 hours gameplay, and as such rental services are the logical choice forward even if GoD titles had a significant price drop.