Tips for Perfecting Dance Moves?

Necrophage33

So I just got this game and I'm going through Perform It! on easy and now I'm having trouble with Soulja Boy. I played through over and over and I just can't get 5 stars. The only move that seems to be giving me problems is the Lean & Rock. This is, I feel like I'm nailing it. Not only that, but I rarely see any body parts glowing red when I do it, yet I still seem to constantly get a "yellow" rating on each one. Sometimes I'll get a "nice" here and there, but it always ruins my combo. I've even tried doing the move in front of a mirror to see if I look like the character on the screen, and it looks ok to me. Obviously I don't look as natural as the character on screen but I can't see anything I'm specifically doing wrong.

So my question, what did anyone else do to perfect moves they were having trouble with, specifically when they weren't sure what exactly they were doing wrong? Did you have someone watch you play to try to pinpoint what the problem is?

I'd appreciate any help, since it's obviously only gonna get worse for me from here.

I bet a lot of us wish we had answers to that. I don't really have the luxury of having someone else to check my form. I've tried asking on message boards. I think I got an answer on at least one move like that, but I think I kind of wore out my welcome a little bit. First thing I generally do if I can't figure it out though is usually try to find a split-screen video of someone doing it on youtube. Then you can compare what they're doing to what the onscreen dancer is doing and to what you've been doing. If you're nailing it in practice but not during the song, it's possible you have a part of your body out of position from a previous move and haven't been realizing it, like an arm you failed to lower. Sometimes, though, it really does take noticing something on the tenth look at it that you didn't notice at first.

If all else fails, SuicideXSqueeze's channel on youtube has tutorials for a few of the moves and a place for requests. It's the only reason I have a youtube account currently, though I may start taping myself eventually. I imagine making your own split-screen video where you can compare your own movements directly with the onscreen dancer would be about as powerful a tool as you can get.

As for the move in question, I know what I was always doing wrong. Are you doing the proper movements with your arms when you sit?

I bet a lot of us wish we had answers to that. I don't really have the luxury of having someone else to check my form. I've tried asking on message boards. I think I got an answer on at least one move like that, but I think I kind of wore out my welcome a little bit. First thing I generally do if I can't figure it out though is usually try to find a split-screen video of someone doing it on youtube. Then you can compare what they're doing to what the onscreen dancer is doing and to what you've been doing. If you're nailing it in practice but not during the song, it's possible you have a part of your body out of position from a previous move and haven't been realizing it, like an arm you failed to lower. Sometimes, though, it really does take noticing something on the tenth look at it that you didn't notice at first.

If all else fails, SuicideXSqueeze's channel on youtube has tutorials for a few of the moves and a place for requests. It's the only reason I have a youtube account currently, though I may start taping myself eventually. I imagine making your own split-screen video where you can compare your own movements directly with the onscreen dancer would be about as powerful a tool as you can get.

As for the move in question, I know what I was always doing wrong. Are you doing the proper movements with your arms when you sit?

Haha that's the thing...I FEEL like I am. Maybe I'm not. I can certainly have someone watch me. I noticed every time I'm watching a friend play for the first time I'm yelling out "your left arm shouldn't be.." and random things like that. Hopefully whatever I'm doing is noticeable.

By the way, are you the only person on this forum anymore?

It seems that way sometimes. :)

I think I just spend too much time on message boards. I'd often check when coming downstairs for water and resting. I'm currently giving DC a couple nights off though. For some reason, one of my muscles in my lower back has been really tightening up.

• 4 months later...
So I just got this game and I'm going through Perform It! on easy and now I'm having trouble with Soulja Boy. I played through over and over and I just can't get 5 stars. The only move that seems to be giving me problems is the Lean & Rock. This is, I feel like I'm nailing it. Not only that, but I rarely see any body parts glowing red when I do it, yet I still seem to constantly get a "yellow" rating on each one. Sometimes I'll get a "nice" here and there, but it always ruins my combo. I've even tried doing the move in front of a mirror to see if I look like the character on the screen, and it looks ok to me. Obviously I don't look as natural as the character on screen but I can't see anything I'm specifically doing wrong.

So my question, what did anyone else do to perfect moves they were having trouble with, specifically when they weren't sure what exactly they were doing wrong? Did you have someone watch you play to try to pinpoint what the problem is?

I'd appreciate any help, since it's obviously only gonna get worse for me from here.

i have def. had this same prob and i find that for some moves its best not to try and perform it just as the player does. i go all out and try to match it just right and get yellows and then i got my sister who plays lazily and gets flawless for barley moving. so just try making more basic moves. it would also be good to tune ur kinect every so often so that the game picks up ur movements better( like if u change ur hairstyle or are wearing more/less clothes)