Precious Medal Guide

agentnnc

This guide has the best strategies for each song reported by the community, it might take many tries for some songs. The reason for this is that while overdrive phrases will be in the same spot each time, power up notes are not and appear at random.

General strategies:

Dealing with long sustains on keys:

Keys, they can suck, they can rock. When all you have are sustains that last forever before the next checkpoint it can wreck your progress towards higher multipliers and keep you from raking in the points. A good strategy for bringing the keys multiplier up is to do vocals and keys simultaneously. You see the window for Blitz is significantly larger than the 40 millisecond windows for Rock Band. This allows you to hit a note on one lane, switch to the adjacent lane and still hit the note that meant to be played at the same time. So be there to hit the sustain on the keyboard a little in advance, hit the sustain and immediately move over to vocals and keep going. Keep at it until both vocals and keys are at the top of the multiplier bar then move on to the other instruments.

Bottle Rocket Spamming:

Devola came up with a great strategy that seems to work on many songs to get gold stars with relative ease. There is a video tutorial below the quote.

My power-up combo is Bottle Rocket / Blast Notes / Super _____. I change super instruments according to song, usually by which part is the most difficult. However sometimes that is not always the case and I will switch to an instrument that is consistently playing throughout the song. I also like to use Super Vocals a lot because it keeps me close to the keyboard which I tend to forget about. Plus vocals are pretty prominent in every song. My strategy is to build up my multipliers instantly (obviously) and go for overdrive and blast notes. I use my Bottle Rockets as soon as I can so I can jack up my multipliers before the first check point. Once all the multipliers are maxed I start hoarding overdrive and stick to the track I have super instrument on, only leaving to get overdrive (if I'm full I shoot off a Bottle Rocket before finishing the phrase so I stay maxed) and Blast Notes. Once I pass a checkpoint I stick to my super instruments lane and go crazy on Bottle Rockets, still making sure I collect overdrive and hitting blast notes when possible. You can raise all your multipliers pretty quick when spamming Bottle Rockets. Then once your maxed again you go back to hoarding and wait for the the next checkpoint and repeat. Sometimes this works perfectly and you never have to leave your super instrument lane and others you may have to do a little maneuvering for some extra star power or manually go to a track to finish it up.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6AxRQpCWoA&feature=player_embedded]Rock Band Blitz - Basic Bottle Rockets Strategy Tutorial - YouTube[/ame]

Specific Song Strategies:

If you do not wish to remember gold star cutoff values, beat your rivals until The Duke shows up. He is a fake player that represents the gold star cutoff value. Beat his score to get gold stars. Cutoff values are the lowest reported by the community. Use them as goals to aim for when playing the songs.

Always - Blink-182

Cutoff: 270,000

Power ups: Jackpot - Blast Notes - Super Drum

Spread yourself across the lanes and feed them all about equally to just one below cap, intentionally heading for every blast note to ensure they all met the level cap before checkpoint. When lanes were fully capped, horde Jackpot and activate it in Drum Lanes. Towards the end of the song it's possible to manage jackpots for about 40-60k in this manner by full comboing the drum lanes.

OR

Power ups: Bottle Rocket - Blast Notes - Super Guitar

See the Bottle Rocket Spamming method in the general strategies section.

Bang Your Head (Metal Health) - Quiet Riot

Cutoff:400,000

Power ups: Jackpot - Blast Notes - Super Guitar

One important note, you can only get vocals up x2 on whatever your meter is before the second guitar solo (the vocals will go 'ahahaha' as indication) so don't worry if you can't find out why you can't max out here.

You'll need to do a lot of switching, going for blast notes whenever possible, and hording overdrive, use it on Pro Guitar path whenever it's full after getting all instruments to max before the gate, in that regard you should focus on guitar last for this reason.

Before the end, stay with Super Guitar, if you have energy from the solo don't use it until after the trills to get the points from the sustains here. Do not be tempted to go over to bass, it's not necessary.

Edited by agentnnc

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cult of Personality - Living Colour

Cutoff: 369,000

Power ups: Road Rage - Blast Notes - Super Guitar

When you're ready to deploy road rage go in the drum lane so it starts from vocals giving you more points for each use. Make bomb notes a priority to get multipliers up quickly and to rake in points during high density sections. If you're in blitz mode and are afraid to lose it to hit a blast note do not chance it, especially if you're on guitar because all other multipliers are maxed out.

Death on Two Legs (Dedicated to...) - Queen

Cutoff:236,000

The intro is somewhat tricky to decide which path you should go for, avoid Guitar unless it's the only track remaining after getting keyboard up to x4. Bass and Drums don't have many parts and you need to be with almost all the notes to reach the max multiplier before the first gate.

Use Road Rage before the guitar solo, you'll get enough energy during this part to use Road Rage again when it ends. After the final gate (you'll probably need to note when this is), stay with your Super instrument, only go for the energy notes if they're next to your track. You'll need to get those extra points, the instrument bonuses should get you above the score as long as you're near the cutoff (with 229k or so).

Bottle rocket spamming with super guitar also works with a significant amount of leeway as there are so many overdrive notes you wind up shooting bottle rockets just to make sure none of it goes to waste.

Diamond Eyes (Boom-Lay, Boom-Lay, Boom) - Shinedown

Cutoff: 432,000

When the song stay on drums until keys kick in. Jump back and forth between keys and guitar. Go out of your way to hit blast notes that involve bass and guitar. Once the "ooooooo" section finishes max out vocals, then guitar. You'll be cutting it close to max out your multiplier before the first checkpoint.

Save overdrive for the "Boom-lay Boom-lay Boom" sections. As soon as it starts, so to keys and deploy road rage. This will give you enough overdrive for another go. Go to the instrument with the lowest multiplier during the "One push is all you need" and then jump back to keys and deploy road rage for the second Boom-Lay section.

Keyboard/vocals are pretty consistent throughout so you can go for those after bass/drums. Getting 20k bonus on the guitar solo isn't required to get the cutoff, but it's pretty easy once you get the double strum in mind.

Right before the first solo there will be a section with long keys sustains and no vocals for a good chunk on it. During

you can just hit the keys sustain, release it and jump over to guitar to hit a note or two before going back to keys as shown in the video. Vocals will kick near the checkpoint in so emphasize vocals and keys to max out the multipliers. For a better explanation check out the general strategies section on how to manage keys sustains.

For the final section, grab as much energy (max if possible) while staying on guitar.

Give It Away - Red Hot Chilli Peppers

Cutoff: 280,224

Power ups: Bottle Rocket - Blast Notes - Super Vocals

Focus your attention on keys as it's mostly sustains. Get overdrive when you can to fire bottle rockets. Try to save them for the chorus. You should 100% the first solo. You can fire a few bottle rockets for the denser sections if you want to try 100%ing the second solo, but it's not necessary. After the last checkpoint jump back and forth between guitar and vocals.

I'm Still Standing - Elton John

Cutoff: 235,000

This one is easy to do with the bottle rocket spamming method which is explained in the general strategies section.

Jessie's Girl - Rick Springfield

Cutoff: 172,000

Try to deploy road rage while maxing out your keys multiplier for maximum effect.

Jungle Boogie - Kool & The Gang

Cutoff: 162,000

Power ups:Bottle Rocket - Blast Notes - Super Guitar

See the Bottle Rocket Spamming method in the general strategies section. You shouldn't have any problems getting gold stars.

Kids in the Street - All-American Rejects

Cutoff: 323,000

Power ups: Bandmate - Blast Notes - Super Drums

Always, always, always slap the bandmate on the drums. And at the end ignore bass entirely on that one guitar, vocals keyboard section because there is not enough notes to raise up to 3x anyway and you're missing out on being able to rack up the other instruments. That was killing me.

OR

Power ups: Bottle Rocket - Blast Notes - Super Drums

Bottle rocket spam with super drums if you can keep blitz mode with the harder sections. See the general strategies section for more details.

A Little Less Sixteen Candles, a Little More "Touch Me" - Fall Out Boy

Cutoff: 159,000

Power ups: Bottle Rocket - Blast Notes - Super Guitar or Bass

See the Bottle Rocket Spamming method in the general strategies section.

Moves Like Jagger - Maroon 5

Cutoff: 206,000

Drums are scarce in this song, so try to learn where the fills are to max out multipliers faster. Keep in mind that keys play the whistling part so that's also a good place to max out keys. Always try to shoot bottle rockets during the more dense sections like the chorus. See the general strategies section for more details bottle rocket spamming.

OR

Keep the same locations in mind as the above strategy. Prioritize blast notes to help you level up the multiplier faster. Don't worry about losing blitz mode so you can hit a blast note. Don't worry about maxing out all of the multipliers before a checkpoint once you hit 9-12X multipliers as by that point you main focus should be using jackpot on guitar but at least try to have the cap increase by 1.

Once Bitten, Twice Shy - Great White

Cutoff: 379,000

Get acquanted with the checkpoints, specifically the ones where bass isn't present but jumps in later and the one where keys start at a really fast tempo and slow down. Stick to the bottle rocket spam strategy but emphasize getting overdrive and bomb notes.

Try to save your overdrive for the chorus but don't let any go to waste. This is when the bass jumps in during the checkpoints I mentioned earlier. During the part where keys start of quick make sure you are there to play them while shooting bottle rockets.

For the first guitar solo use up enough overdrive to have just under half. That way you should have about full when coming out of it and ready to spam. I recommend trying to get 100% on it. For the second guitar solo use up all of your overdrive/bottle rockets before it starts. Save the overdrive you do get for the more dense sections. If you get all the notes you'll be granted two or three shots during the entire solo.

Edited by agentnnc

One Week - Barenaked Ladies

Cutoff: 116 000

Use the bottle rocket spamming method outlined in the general strategies section and you should be able to get gold stars with time to spare. Vocals in this song are in huge supply which should allow you to rack in at least 20 000 with the super vocals power up. I tended to wait until I passes the sections I destroyed with Bottle Rockets before launching another one.

Pumped Up Kicks - Foster the People

Cutoff: 196,325

Power ups: Bandmate - Blast Notes - Super Vocals

Same thing as Raise your Glass.

Raise Your Glass - P!nk

Cutoff: 144,462

Power ups: Bandmate - Blast Notes - Super Vocals

For these songs spread yourself across the lanes and feed them all about equally to just one below cap, intentionally heading for every blast note to ensure they all met the level cap before checkpoint. Blast notes tend to level cap lanes very easily if you prime them to one or to below cap and play damage control as necessary. Unleashed bandmate on Vocal Track on a regular basis.

OR

Bottle Rocket spamming works great with super vocals. See the general strategies section for more details.

Shine - Collective Soul

Cutoff: 295,000

Power ups: Road Rage/Blast Notes/Super Guitar

Try to use road rage from the drums side while vocals are in play, especially during the parts with distortion as there are a lot of notes. Soon after the solo there is a section with guitar, bass and drums. Ignore them and stick with guitar as you won't have enough time to bring up the multipliers.

Shout - Tears for Fears

Cutoff: 489,000

At the beginning you want to get vocals up to x4 then focus on drums and bass to get the x2. Before the keys solo you want to use jackpot as much as you can, i found the most useful instrument is drums. Using jackpot on the keys and guitar solo also helps with the points and you should get the 20k for 100%. Max out your energy and at the chords for guitar use it. I got between 60 and 80 thousand points doing that which adds up.

For a visual representation of this strategy, refer to the following video: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldKFqClraRk&feature=player_embedded]Shout - Gold Stars[/ame]

Sing - My Chemical Romance

Cutoff: 297,000

Stay with bass/keyboard as much as possible, as they both tend to get breaks before chorus sections.

At the end, head for the drums, keep playing and make sure you know when to head straight to keyboard to hit the sustain note at the end.

So Far Away - Avenged Sevenfold

Cutoff: 298 000

Note: This strategy requires a good deal of accuracy.

You'll want to be switching between paths for overdrive energy, as always. Always stay near the keyboard when it shows up, jumping to vocals when a long note appears on keyboard. Always use Road Rage whenever possible when all instruments are in play, you'll get some track multipliers which gives you more room to spare jumping from keyboard to drums.

After the second solo, both the drums and keyboard will show up. Go for keyboard as soon as possible, play every note until the bass shows up, play bass up to max multiplier, switch back to keyboard straight after. Use Road Rage to get the drum notes, while you switch between keyboard/bass and then quickly run up to drums. After this, continue as normal, but keep to your Super instrument about 40 seconds before the end. You'll probably need to milk as many points at this moment, and track multiplier should not be a concern if you're playing effectively.

Spoonman - Soundgarden

Cutoff: 323,000

Power ups: Road Rage - Blast Notes - Super Bass

Use Road Rage before the bass/vocal harmony that starts before the guitar solo. On the drum solo, you need to hit the note at the gate right before the bass solo to get 20k bonus, do not hit the extra notes after the gate.

Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You) - Kelly Clarkson

Cutoff: 189,000

Use the Bottle Rocket Spamming Method outlined in the general strategies section but try to conserve rockets for when the keys, bass and guitar go crazy like at the beginning. The song ends with a section like this so try to keep two bottle rockets for that if you can.

These Days - Foo Fighters

Cutoff: 331,000

You should be able to manage to not miss a note before the first checkpoint, as you only have to deal with vocals and guitar. Remember to deploy road rage AFTER you pass the checkpoint to make sure the multipliers go up. Try to have full road rage for the sections that have a lot of bass and guitar and be sure to deploy it from either the guitar or vocals track to ensure maximum points. There's a small section towards the middle where you only have guitar for a few seconds, take note of it and leave guitar for last during that checkpoint.

OR

Bottle Rocket spamming works too but there's less margin for error. See the general strategies section for more details on Bottle Rocket Spamming.

We Are Young - Fun

Cutoff: 197,000

Power ups: Bottle Rocket - Blast Notes - Super Drums

See the bottle rocket spamming strategy in the general strategies section. Before the first checkpoint start with drums, then when vocals and keys kick in max out those before going back. After that bass and guitar aren't always present, so focus on those first before maxing the others out. After the last checkpoint focus solely on drums and jump to vocals when they cut out.

The Wicker Man - Iron Maiden

Cutoff: 395,000

Try to save road rage for the chorus when the drums have a lot of notes. Deploy it from keys or vocals.

Edited by agentnnc

Here's some updates on what need to be changed and/or added in what you have so far.

Once Bitten Twice Shy

Powerups: Road Rage/Runaway Notes or Blast Notes/Super Guitar

Shine

Powerups: Road Rage/Blast Notes/Super Guitar

Sing has a gold star cutoff at 294,000. Confirmed.

Powerups: Bottle Rocket/Blast Notes/Super Guitar)

Strategy:

Stay with bass/keyboard as much as possible, as they both tend to get breaks before chorus sections.

At the end, head for the drums, keep playing and make sure you know when to head straight to keyboard to hit the sustain note at the end.

Spoonman has a gold star cutoff at 325,000. Confirmed.

Powerups: Road Rage/Blast Notes/Super Bass)

Strategy:

Use Road Rage before the bass/vocal harmony that starts before the guitar solo. On the drum solo, you need to hit the note at the gate right before the bass solo to get 20k bonus, do not hit the extra notes after the gate.
Death on Two Legs has a gold star cutoff at 236,000. Confirmed.

Powerups: Road Rage/Blast Notes/Super Guitar

Strategy:

The intro is somewhat tricky to decide which path you should go for, avoid Guitar unless it's the only track remaining after getting keyboard up to x4. Bass and Drums don't have many parts and you need to be with almost all the notes to reach the max multiplier before the first gate.

Use Road Rage before the guitar solo, you'll get enough energy during this part to use Road Rage again when it ends. After the final gate (you'll probably need to note when this is), stay with your Super instrument, only go for the energy notes if they're next to your track. You'll need to get those extra points, the instrument bonuses should get you above the score as long as you're near the cutoff (with 229k or so).

Shout has a gold star cutoff at 495,000. Confirmed.

For the 'Diamond Eyes' strategy I mentioned before:

Bass is important after the intro, and at one other part (can't remember where).
This part doesn't make much sense, and the bass at the intro should be pretty easy to get to max multiplier regardless as long as you're playing with the usual techniques most people will suggest.

The extra info you added to that part with the video I linked to which allowed us to examine further makes more sense, thumbs up to that.

Any score that isn't rounded up to xxx,000 will still need an exact cutoff, so use those as rough ideas of what your score should be, but of course you'll earn the cutoff before the aforementioned score.

Thanks for keeping this guide going dude, if I can suggest just one thing, for strategies that I or others have provided, change any 'first person' references (like 'I did this') and make it sound more general. Other than that, good work!

Thanks for keeping this guide going dude, if I can suggest just one thing, for strategies that I or others have provided, change any 'first person' references (like 'I did this') and make it sound more general. Other than that, good work!

Thanks. I re-read my post and I think I got all of the first person. I'm trying to contribute but unfortunately I seem to be cataloguing your words while adding in a few of my own here and there. I figured I used to gold star on RB3 like it was nobodies business (life happened, I got rusty, now I five star pretty much every sight read) I thought Blitz would be second nature. This isn't the case. I keep running out of coins and I can't seem to grasp the mechanics. I'm hoping I can add something to the guide which will facilitate things. I'm working on a power ups section as we speak.

Does anybody have an alternate strategy for Spoonman? I've been at it the past few days and I've used Blast Notes/Super Bass combo and tried combining it with just about every Overdrive Power-Up, but I can't get anything of them to work. The best I did was with Jackpot which was around 305, but usually I get around 285-295. Anybody have any other ideas?

Does anybody have an alternate strategy for Spoonman? I've been at it the past few days and I've used Blast Notes/Super Bass combo and tried combining it with just about every Overdrive Power-Up, but I can't get anything of them to work. The best I did was with Jackpot which was around 305, but usually I get around 285-295. Anybody have any other ideas?

Bandmate - Blast Notes - Super Bass works if you can micromanage the bandmate.

Thanks. I re-read my post and I think I got all of the first person. I'm trying to contribute but unfortunately I seem to be cataloguing your words while adding in a few of my own here and there.

It's alright, really. I'm only pulling from memory what I did on some songs where I was able to come up with a method that worked more in my case over other ideas while I was running through for gold stars. I did use some methods that you, Devola and russianfork came up with also, which defiantly helped in the long run. So Far Away however is one of the few exceptions where you really need to pay attention to where you are, since the cutoff is pretty strict, and there's not much room for mistakes.

I figured I used to gold star on RB3 like it was nobodies business (life happened, I got rusty, now I five star pretty much every sight read) I thought Blitz would be second nature. This isn't the case. I keep running out of coins and I can't seem to grasp the mechanics. I'm hoping I can add something to the guide which will facilitate things. I'm working on a power ups section as we speak.
To be fair, both games play completely differently from one another, I took drums as second/backup instrument after getting more proficient with playing, but when you're pushing buttons to hit drum kicks, snares and so on, it just feels wrong somehow. It's the same for every instrument. Pushing buttons to a 'metronome' rhythm isn't the same as mirroring what the song should sound like. Getting gold stars on RB3 is an accomplishment, on Blitz it's just a cat and mouse chase for the most part.

Cult of Personality - Living Colour

Cutoff: 369,000

When you're ready to deploy road rage go in the drum lane so it starts from vocals giving you more points for each use.

I can't get to 369k /w the above description. Does anyone have more advice then above? My best score at this song is at 327.688 - and that's in 25+ plays. =/

I can't get to 369k /w the above description. Does anyone have more advice then above? My best score at this song is at 327.688 - and that's in 25+ plays. =/

I've gotten to 345K using it with almost no points coming from blitz mode. You want to FC the first solo and use road rage at full power with a ton of notes. I'm looking into alternate strategies for some of these but it seems that many songs require a good deal of luck for bomb timing and a ton of accuracy. A good example was stronger where I got no bombs during a key section and I missed out on maxing out my multiplier before the checkpoint while on another a got a ton of well placed bombs that help me destroy my high score.

I did it with that set up, got about 75k from Road Rage, 30k from Blast and 60k from Super Guitar. Took quite a few tries, but I beat it by almost 15k when I finally did it, so there is room for error, but it's not easy.

Ok so i got shinedown down and id like to add, even though you stated either or, it really seems like i got a significant amount of points when i activated road rage on the keys instead of vocals, i got 30k on one of them.

Once bitten twice shy seems to be the standard Road Rage/Blast Notes/Super guitar for the win. i just maintained all my tracks went over to the keys and did road rage when at least over half energy and pretty much just stayed to the guitar when everything was maxed, aside for going after energy and blast notes.

Ended with 409,510 #138 ATM

Edited by TheBiohazard187
Added/ Finished A7x

Im stuck with shinedown and a7x atm :(

A7X is really frustrating. My high score is 297,548, just under 500 points of the cutoff. That is using the RR/BN/SGuitar method. I'm going to try SVocals tomorrow. While there are two parts of the song that have solo guitar, I'm always on vocals and keys because of the rarity of the key notes during certain sections.

I think they need to rework a little bit of the math behind the scenes for notes required for checkpoints when its a really low note count.

I had virtually 0 problems with any of the songs in the game for gold star (1-3 tries max) with Bottle Rocket (switch for jackpot if doesn't work the first time) Blast notes and whichever instrument has the most notes.

EXCEPT FOR SHOUT... this song can burn in hell.... I must have played it at least 50 times, and almost destroyed my controller due to frustration. The way i found worked best for me was to go with jackpot, guitar boost and use jackpot right after the 2nd checkpoint. after that, just stockpile it till you reach the guitar solo and make SURE not to miss anything, you can get an unholy amount of points from the held notes... after the solo there will be another section near the end where you can get a ton of points with jackpot off more held guitar notes, make sure to use it there as well.

this was the ONLY problem song in the game for me... but not i just have to grind out the 300 songs.

EDIT: I notice it says the cutoff for tears for fears is 595k, this is about 100k too much. I have 501k and i have it gold starred.

Edited by Robert999220

The way i found worked best for me was to go with jackpot, guitar boost and use jackpot right after the 2nd checkpoint. after that, just stockpile it till you reach the guitar solo and make SURE not to miss anything, you can get an unholy amount of points from the held notes... after the solo there will be another section near the end where you can get a ton of points with jackpot off more held guitar notes, make sure to use it there as well.

Works beautifully and helped me get the last gold stars I needed. However in addition to what he wrote I would suggest using Jackpot in the keys solo and immediately after the guitar solo since you'll have some extra overdrive from the tail end and the sustains will give you a tiny bit more as well. Then hop around the tracks to gather as much overdrive as you can and focus on the guitar lane only.

The cut-off is roughly 490k.