Only $35 when you trade in ME2

StC EliteKiller

I went to Gamestop to trade in my copy of Mass Effect 2 since i have already done the story [3 times], and got all the achievements [except "Insane Difficulty"] :locked

So i traded in and they tell me its only $35, That is the biggest rip off considering it just came out a week ago :mad:

I'm glad that i didn't have to use my money to buy this game but for it to be only $35 is B.S to anyone who has bought the $60 game :(

Try using ebay next time instead of wasting your time and money. Gamestop will just turn around and sell it for $55, which you could have sold it for on ebay.

Yea, i am gonna sell it on Ebay

How come you traded it in? Is this not your kind of game, or you just became bored? You could have tried out Insane, or at least waited for awhile until more DLC came out. I wouldn't have traded it in for $35, personally.

i liked it but after beating the story and other stuff, its pretty much gonna collect dust when the new games come out [like Bioshock 2]

i find it amusing that you claim 35 bucks is a rip off, to me thats a friggan deal, considering every new game that was hyped/anticipated that i ever traded into gamestop/gamecrazy always gave me 25 bucks and here you got 10 dollars more and are complaining? damn yo

i wish i had your gamestop, XD XD!

aside from all that, i stopped buying games along time ago couldn't afford 60 bucks for every game i wanted, so i got gamefly and now everything is good, for pretty much 40 a month i get any 4 games i want to play and and send back for more

heck, 35 dollars now that i think about it.. hrm, check this out a piece of email i got back from gamefly actually.

Army of Two: The 40th Day Keep It Now for Only $37.62!

Save $22.37 off the retail price of $59.99

• Use your GameFly Rewards and save
  • Original case and manuals included
  • FREE shipping and handling
  • Act Now - Offer expires 2/3/2010!

Army of Two: The 40th Day (Xbox 360) Our Regular Price: $44.99 GameFly Rewards 10% Discount: -$4.50 GameFly Dollars Coupons: -$5.00 Tax: $2.13 Shipping & Handling: FREE Your Price: $37.62

the final price alone amuses me. in short im paying 2 dollars and 62 cents more than what gamestop offered...

gamefly has alot of deals and now that i think back, who knows maybe gamestop isn't ripping people off in trade-ins (just a thought a passing one at that)

and before anyone gets the idea of omg, they are used games.. think about this, you put on your q the game you want to get before it comes out officially then when it does you are sent the copy(brand new) you are the first to use it outside of someone at gamefly putting them into the mailing sleeves to send to you, you are getting a brandnew game and the offer to keep it for a USED price with major discounts as shown above.

of course games that have been out for awhile will be used but you knew that already right? :D

Well apparently people still dont undestand how you giving the game back is only $35 when all they are gonna make is a $20 profit there. I guess you expect them to buy it back for 45-50 and make a great profit of 10 dollars or such, really people. >.>

Well apparently people still dont undestand how you giving the game back is only $35 when all they are gonna make is a $20 profit there. I guess you expect them to buy it back for 45-50 and make a great profit of 10 dollars or such, really people. >.>
while that is true, it will always be a stupid system and anyone who trades in there is a dense sap. No offense :p Why would you give it to them for so little when you can get 40% more on Ebay or Craigslist. My friend has a really rare PSP game he got at PAX for 50$. He went in to trade in and they offered him .30 cents because the game was old, even though it's like 35 on ebay.

Honestly I'm surprised they even offered you that much. Gamestop is the biggest ripoff around. If you must trade your games, do it online through somewhere like Goozex, CheapAssGamer, or eBay. It's not instant store credit/cash obviously, but you'll get a much better deal for yourself.

I only use GameStop for Pre-orders and when I go bargin bin shopping (Achievement whoring is another way of saying it). Besides that, they screw you out of a lot of new release trade ins. $28 bucks for Batman: AA two weeks after it was released

I just use Craigslist.org to sell my newly purchased reject games for $55. It's nice because it's local and you get cash in hand on the swap. That, or I say "Will trade for X game(s)", and sometimes I make out like a bandit. I remember when 7-Eleven broke the release date on Gears of War 2 and I got it two weeks early.

Within a few days after its release date I was fed up with it (I love GoW1 to death, but hated the sequel MP like no other), and I put it on Craigslist. This guy didn't want to pay $55 bucks but he was willing to trade Bad Company AND Army of Two for it. I said hell ya, turned around and sold them both for a profit.

while that is true, it will always be a stupid system and anyone who trades in there is a dense sap. No offense :p Why would you give it to them for so little when you can get 40% more on Ebay or Craigslist. My friend has a really rare PSP game he got at PAX for 50$. He went in to trade in and they offered him .30 cents because the game was old, even though it's like 35 on ebay.

Selling a game yourself through Craigslist or Ebay is the same as selling it to a store that will just end up trying to flip a profit. The Gamestop trade-in values aren't usually $35, which is honestly a really good deal from them. Most games i.e. Darksiders and Bayonetta were $25 store credit 3 days after they came out. You can't expect to get near new retail value for a trade-in.

i remembered something an employee at gamestop told me years ago,

it's not about the game being new so much as how well it sells.

then he broke it down even further

pretty much saying if they get a brand new game in and 50 people wanted it and 25 of those had preordered but only 8 pick them up and they sell `12 from walk in's then the value of the game goes to shit.

this is how they work their system. so the more people come in and buy a game the higher the trade-in value because it's in demand, if the game isn't in demand the lower the trade-in value

in the end it's not that they are totally ripping you off its just you can't expect to buy a brand new game open it play it then bring it back trade it in for 59.99. that's just stupid.

and it's not gamestop/gamecrazy alone it's selling as a whole that isn't online related, think about it for a moment... for those who can or have gotten a brand new car or even a new fridge try trading it in for money and see how much you really get.

I could('ve) bought it from you for a much better price. I wouldn't mind buying this game for a friend as a gift. I want to share its AWESOMENESS.

Hands down the best video game I've ever played. I personally think it's dirty sin to get rid of this game... HAHA

Wanna be my friend?

To the OP, don't like it, don't trade it in, Gamestop is there as a last and fast resort, I wouldn't use it unless I was fleeing the country..

As to why, it has pretty much been summed up already in this thread. But yeah, trading in Mass Effect 2? :mad:

No one mentioned the Cerberus Network DLC so far.

So when you sell the game used it has to be more than 15$ off so that you actually spend less money on buying the game used + cerberus network DLC.

But otherwise I could imagine Gamestop ripping off people that aren't that much into gaming and don't know about this whole DLC politics going on anyway.

Wanna be my friend?

HAHAHA sure we can! :)

Although I actually meant I'd buy ME2 for a friend if he/she doesn't already own it :p

No one mentioned the Cerberus Network DLC so far.

So when you sell the game used it has to be more than 15$ off so that you actually spend less money on buying the game used + cerberus network DLC.

But otherwise I could imagine Gamestop ripping off people that aren't that much into gaming and don't know about this whole DLC politics going on anyway.

A very excellent point!

But it's general knowledge to conclude that Gamestop/EB Games are whores when it comes to buying games from customers. They rip you off like crazy, that's why I'll never go to them when it comes to selling used games. (Though I'll never ever ever ever ever sell my Mass Effect 2: Collectors Ed. NEVER! Haha)

You're better off at Futureshop (well... in Canada anyway. eBay/Craigslist for all around the world).

TC: Of course GameStop only offered you $35. GameStop is the king of ripping you off. Never go there to trade in your games.

in the end it's not that they are totally ripping you off its just you can't expect to buy a brand new game open it play it then bring it back trade it in for 59.99. that's just stupid.
Bullshit. GameStop expects customers to buy their gutted display copies, which are also brand new games which were opened and most likely played by an employee, for $59.99. So why shouldn't they offer the same deal for games we sell them? Sure, they need to make a profit, but they always swindle you, whether you're buying or selling. If they at least tried to be fair with things like the gutted copies (offering them for the used game price instead, because let's face it, we all know it's used after they open it), it would be different. But GameStop cares only about GameStop, never the customer. So shaft them right back: don't bring your used games there, go to eBay/Amazon Marketplace/Craigslist/whatever and sell it for $55 or so yourself.

And before someone posts "if you don't like it don't shop there" at me, I already don't which should have been obvious.

Lol...Thats funny. My girlfriend and I was talking about this last week. I just sold Bayonetta on ebay lastweek for $45. Vs gamestop who was only going to give me 18 dollars for it. WTF?? 18 dollars? SO in short...ebay is the way my friend. Wouldnt know about craigslist cause Ive never used it. But Im sure its just as good as ebay.

I'm the last person who would be backing Gamestop, but I gotta believe (please world) that everyone realizes that GS is a business. They are in the business to make profit. They have employees, bills, & other such costs to account for. Their bread & butter is in the used game market. When you sell/trade it in to them they are trying to give you a modest/fair amount back for the game while still maintaining a decent profit ratio for themselves.

Of course selling it on Ebay/Craigslist will garner more money for you, because you are selling it to a person who is just going to play the game and not try to resell it for a profit.

GS is not "ripping you off".. you can only get ripped off when you buy something... in this case... you're essentially selling the game to GS and they offering you X amount of dollars for the game... you either accept their offer or you look for other offers.

Done.