Game freezing after leaving vault 101

entropyMaker

Hopefully some of you still play and see this post and can offer some insight.

Recently started the game back up. Started a fresh character, went through vault 101. As soon as I leave I crawl down the hill from the vault entrance the game freezes. Everytime. Without fail. I did manage once to get a "the game disc is unreadable" error.

Here's what I have tried so far...

Deleting all saved and downloadable content and uninstalling the game from the hard drive. I purchased a new disc, thinking it might have been a problem with the old disc. Still got the same error. I tried playing the game with and without the game being installed on the hard drive. Same thing.

If any of you ladies or gents have dealt with this and know a solution please let me know. I'm dying to return to the wasteland.

Thank you - entropyMaker

Well bud...call 1-800-4MY-XBOX. Assuming you're in the states that is. But my personal opinion is there's clearly something up with the system itself. Maybe something can be done. If not, oh well, it's just one game that has the issue. But thank goodness there's more than one Fallout game. ;)

Edited by Fear Hal Jordan
grammar, spelling.

Is this the only game your having issues with?

It is fortunately. I am really puzzled as to why this is happening. It almost seems as it is happening as it is trying to build the draw distances as I move forward in the environment and it is getting stuck trying to retrieve that information. This may be why I can play through vault 101 without problems.

It is fortunately. I am really puzzled as to why this is happening. It almost seems as it is happening as it is trying to build the draw distances as I move forward in the environment and it is getting stuck trying to retrieve that information. This may be why I can play through vault 101 without problems.

Maybe lightning has struck twice and you've somehow gotten two bad discs? I agree, it may be your console, though, if you have any compressed air you could try using that in and around the disc drive, maybe there is some dust on the laser. Beyond that I have no idea, Fallout 3's freezing tends to be more random as others have said... Actually, where do you have your save stored? Sometimes you can get unreadable disc from your save location, not the actual disc, this would happen to me sometimes when I had my save on a cheap USB drive, which stopped when I moved it back to my HDD.

Hey Divine,

It does happen both playing from disc and from HDD. I have not tried clearing cache. I will try that tonight and see what happens. I happened to redownload my gamertag a few days ago. I have not tried playing while disconnected from Live. I will give these all a try. Thank you and everyone else who has replied so quickly. I truly appreciate all your help. I'll keep ya posted. Thanks again guys and gals. - entropyMaker

Quick update -

Cleared cache and re-downloaded the patch. Works great now! I guess something just got lost in the translation when I patched last time?

Anyway big thanks to Divine Infekt, WOLFkraut, OrionSatsume, and FEAR HAL JORDAN. I really do appreciate all your input and help, and I hope each of you had a great Thanksgiving (if you live in the States) or otherwise great holiday coming up.

Warmest Regards - entropyMaker

• 1 year later...