Worth 1200 MSP?

13ip0lar

I think it's well worth it. I've played about halfway through on normal difficulty (beating normal unlocks nightmare) and it hasn't gotten repetitive at all, you're constantly unlocking new traps and skills for your character, each map is quite different and can be approached successfully in multiple ways. It's one of my favorite arcade games of the year...I tried the demo and bought the full game when the free part ran out...give it a shot, I'm really happy with it.

I like how they balanced the traps vs killing enemies yourself bit, I thought Sanctum was leaning too much towards killing enemies yourself and focusing on weapon upgrades rather than building towers.

Haven't played Trenched yet since it's not out where I live, so can't compare to that.

I bought Orcs Must Die but now after playing it a while it seems to lack some depth, also some traps feel utter useless. Another thing that annoyed me were the layout on some of the maps, where it was hard to actually build effective traps because of the crammed space or stairs/columns in the way, making the Orcs just waltz into the rift.

I'd say if you're on the fence after trying the trial, wait until Dungeon Defenders comes out. Might be a bit deeper with xp and item drops and so on.

We'll see, I'll give that a go once it comes out as well.

That said, Orcs Must Die is by no means a bad game, I'm enjoying it so far but it could definitely be better if they had added a bit more depth (like separate currency for talent upgrades or refundable skulls from upgrades you didn't like).

Edited by shadowfeeder

I'd say if you're on the fence after trying the trial, wait until Dungeon Defenders comes out. Might be a bit deeper with xp and item drops and so on.

We'll see, I'll give that a go once it comes out as well.

That said, Orcs Must Die is by no means a bad game, I'm enjoying it so far but it could definitely be better if they had added a bit more depth (like separate currency for talent upgrades or refundable skulls from upgrades you didn't like).

To hell with this, I hadn't even heard of Dungeon Defenders and popped over into that sub-forum and see it's coming out on the 19th. Has co-op and like you said is more in-depth RPG wise. I think I'll definitely just save my money for that, and more than likely pick it up. I'm sure this game is a good distraction, but I want something that I feel is worth every penny, and DD seems like it might just be the type of game I'm looking for.

It's a nice game, but in my opinion gets too hard too early on, still it definitely doesn't get repetitive, quite the opposite :Bounce:

Also I don't know what to spend my upgrade skulls on! If I use them now I might feel it was a bad decision, but then again if I don't upgrade I can't seem to get past a certain level!

Honestly, it just seems to be another game MS refuses to bend the 1200 MSP rule for. I think the game is worth $10, but $15 is a bit much. I liked that in the trial you were able to play 3 maps, when most games would have probably cut you off after the first map. While I don't doubt the game gets better as you progress and harder on Nightmare, I can't imagine it gets much more engaging then what I was doing, which is comboing traps, and headshotting while strafing. That's all I did in the 3 maps played. Placed some traps alternating between tar and spikes, and then later on, arrows on the wall, all the while strafing with my crossbow to get headshots. I didn't once use my melee weapon. So to reiterate, I think the game's o.k., but not worth $15. The gameplay doesn't seem to warrant it. I'll just hold out another week for Dungeon Defenders. :3

To hell with this, I hadn't even heard of Dungeon Defenders and popped over into that sub-forum and see it's coming out on the 19th. Has co-op and like you said is more in-depth RPG wise. I think I'll definitely just save my money for that, and more than likely pick it up. I'm sure this game is a good distraction, but I want something that I feel is worth every penny, and DD seems like it might just be the type of game I'm looking for.

I have dropped at least 10 hours into Orcs Must Die between 5 starring all War Mage levels and doing Nightmare (6 levels left on nightmare). It is EASILY worth 1200 MSP

I'm still enjoying OMD, I finished it out on apprentice, had some issues with a couple levels at first. I've finished it on Warmage as well, still working on the five stars on every level and working on Nightmare, which is truly hard. You don't get the breaks like you do on the other two difficulties, you're forced to place your traps on the fly, which makes freezing enemies with the ice spell and shattering them with your blade very handy, as well as using a lightning cloud to defend yourself while getting stuff placed. Is say its anything but boring.

As for Dungeon Defenders, I've been playing it on my iPhone for months and I can't wait to play the 360 version. The co-op works brilliantly on the phone, so I can't wait to see how they improve it on console. The graphics look great on the website, I'm hoping the depth of equipment stays the same or better and that they either do all new levels or add some extras...it's definitely going to be a great candidate for DLC map packs and possible new characters.

• 4 weeks later...
I have dropped at least 10 hours into Orcs Must Die between 5 starring all War Mage levels and doing Nightmare (6 levels left on nightmare). It is EASILY worth 1200 MSP

I agree! At first I was skeptical when I bought it, but now I'm hooked! Currently making HD videos for Nightmare 5 skulls :) Also actually trying to get high on the leaderboards. I have a few top 5s, would love to see some friends on my FL that have this game to get more competition going!

Have people found that the game has become boring yet? I'm thinking about how much everyone said L.A. Noire was great and then after the 10th case it got boring despite how it looks.

No! I think its more exciting as the farther you get when the levels get really hard and you are trying to find that perfect 5 skull strategy. The early levels are all pretty similar, but 2nd act they get MUCH more difficult to manage.

I think this game is def worth 1200, although it could use more maps....There is DLC coming out soon :)