What were they thinking with the ending? (Spoilers)

intheshallow

I was loving this game up until that point. It put you up against a couple of bosses and some mini-bosses. You'd think there would be something at the end. Hell, how about explain who the fuck even runs the Authority? Is it just one person? Is it maybe a massive computer? Someone or something has to be telling the Authority about the certain Arc causing havoc. But they must have gone in a meeting one day and said, meh fuck all that boss shit, let's just toss in Mutants with guns and call it a day. I stocked up on everything for the battle I was waiting for only to be let down in a BIG way. You should know damn well when the game is about to end. Not go, oh is that it? Well fuck, that sucked.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The ending was a complete fail-another similarity to borderlands then(although BL at least had the decency to put you up against a boss)

I was a bit put out by the whole second disc to be honest-the world was smaller, contained about 5 "dungeons" (which were some of the better ones though), fewer job board missions and fewer story missions.

id totally dropped the ball with the last level-for a start one of RAGE's greatest achievements was the quality of its world with no two parts feeling recycled yet here was a series of grey recycled corridors.

It was also ridiculously easy-so easy that I didn't use much of my "fun" ammo e.g.mind-control bolts, BFG rounds, pop-rockets, because I simply assumed things were going to really kick off at any moment and I would then need to use all this stuff.

but having no boss battle to send the game out in style was the biggest kicker-no giant authority mutant?

• 2 weeks later...

i never saw the end cos i thought the whole game sucked tbh, stopped playing after about 10 hrs. so the end was just the same as any other mutant battle in the game? that does sound like a let down, glad i didnt bother now! it cant be as big a let down as the end of Fable II, that was a joke!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah the final mission really sucked, especially after wandering around sewer town and hearing two guys talking about something "really that big?".

I spent all my cash stocking up on BFG ammo, used it once to see what it was like, then planned on saving the rest for the boss battle at the end of the game with what I assumed would be a giant mutant or something. Not that I really used many weapons throughout the whole game except my pistol and my shotgun... (and sniper rifle when forced to do so)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Well the ending is a typical 'iD Software Ending'.

I would typically agree, but Doom at least had a giant rocket-arm demon to contend with. Rage just had some monkeys with plasma guns. I loved this game, even though I had heard of the terrible ending beforehand. So, having that knowledge, the ending wasn't as big a letdown as for some of these other folks.

My only issue is, even if a sequel is planned, that is no excuse for a complete lack of closure or something big to shoot. You gave me lots of neat toys, and no one to use them on! Unforgivable.

@ Jet1337: They should go back to Doom-style endings where it's a wall of text.

LOL! Can you imagine the posts that would LITERALLY be on fire if they did that? With headings like "Text ending on a next gen game! What is this, ZORK?!?!"

Edited by Dark Ronin

They should go back to Doom-style endings where it's a wall of text.

I second this. Hell, they need to go back to Doom-style GAMES! Who cares about the general public, it's the true gamers who want to see gaming restored to fast-paced, level-clearing, key-finding, MAYHEM! Come on id, PLEASE I BEG YOU, do this for Doom 4!

I thought the ending video was fine, but having no boss battle was lame, expecially, as someone else mentioned, after hearing a couple authority talking about seeing something big.

Although I guess if you played the Scorchers DLC last you get a bit of a finishing boss, although it's out of place with the rest of the story.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I do agree with many of the sentiments above - the ending was lacking. I actually said "huh?!" when the achievements starting popping. The game as a whole was fantastic, IMO. People are saying Borderlands was better, in which case, I'm probably going to love Borderlands (own the first 2, haven't touched 'em yet). As a few people mentioned, that last level wasn't too bad, and I literally didn't even use the BFG once, fearing that I'd need it against the last boss, which I figured would be Cross. Hopefully, a sequel is actually happening that will make us forget about this thread :)