PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion > The Sports Bar
Subscribe    Donate

Old 04-19-2014, 10:19 PM   #421
bigbear2face

bigbear2face's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildmn34 View Post
Bollig won't be suspended. that hit happens fairly frequently. It really wasn't knee to knee. It looked more like thigh to thigh and a charlie horse type thing. 2 min penalty and Sobotka was back quickly, he was on the ice for the 5 on 3.

Seabrook, as far as I know, doesn't have a history of being fined or suspended. Typical suspension would be 3-5 games on a hit like this. In past playoff suspensions the NHL has always held the belief that 1 regular season game is not "worth" the same as 1 playoff game.

So I'd guess 1-2 game suspension. The hit was made worse with the back of Backes' head hitting the dasher.

Now, as you said... time for OT hockey. we are what day 4 into the playoffs and I can't remember them being this good for a long long time.

Yeah, I don't think Bollig will get anything. It looked worse at the time then it was.

Based on past occurrences I think you are mostly right about Seabrook's time. I expect 2-3 games but I strongly feel the only reason it will be that short is because the NHL still isn't taking this stuff seriously enough. It really will take a fatal on ice incident before they do.

Edit: Yes!!!!!!

Justice.

Prior to Thursday home teams that trailed as late as 18:14 in the 3rd were 33-446 all time in playoff games. Make that 35-446 now.

I don't like the idea of making a deep playoff run without David Backes. I find it hard to believe he plays again this season with how dazed he looked. It has to be a major concussion.

Alea Iacta Est
MAL

Last edited by bigbear2face; 04-19-2014 at 10:27 PM.
bigbear2face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 03:49 AM   #422
Wildmn34

Wildmn34's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear2face View Post

Based on past occurrences I think you are mostly right about Seabrook's time. I expect 2-3 games but I strongly feel the only reason it will be that short is because the NHL still isn't taking this stuff seriously enough. It really will take a fatal on ice incident before they do.
Here's the thing though. i think the NHL as a league takes the headshots and what not seriously, the thing that a lot of people overlook is the CBA and what the NHLPA wanted included in that. Until the NHLPA stops protecting the John Scott, Zach Rinaldo and the like there's not much the NHL can really do.

Just look at what the NHLPA demanded. Most first offence fines are $5k then $10k, then $25k. To most NHL players that's nothing. Look at Lucic nutting two guys in the past month. Suspensions, anything more than 5 games requires a hearing and can be appealed. And, in almost every case if a player does not have a "history" of supplementary discipline then a suspension has to be lighter.

It's easy to blame the NHL but the NHLPA has just as big, if not bigger, part of this.

Completely different note. Congrats to Columbus for winning their first playoff game in franchise history!
Old 04-20-2014, 04:20 AM   #423
bigbear2face

bigbear2face's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildmn34 View Post
Here's the thing though. i think the NHL as a league takes the headshots and what not seriously, the thing that a lot of people overlook is the CBA and what the NHLPA wanted included in that. Until the NHLPA stops protecting the John Scott, Zach Rinaldo and the like there's not much the NHL can really do.

Just look at what the NHLPA demanded. Most first offence fines are $5k then $10k, then $25k. To most NHL players that's nothing. Look at Lucic nutting two guys in the past month. Suspensions, anything more than 5 games requires a hearing and can be appealed. And, in almost every case if a player does not have a "history" of supplementary discipline then a suspension has to be lighter.

It's easy to blame the NHL but the NHLPA has just as big, if not bigger, part of this.

Completely different note. Congrats to Columbus for winning their first playoff game in franchise history!

That is an excellent point. I hadn't really considered it from that perspective.

Alea Iacta Est
MAL

Old 04-20-2014, 04:37 AM   #424
yourbreakfast99

Breakfas's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)
Columbus Hype! But seriously if they don't beat the Penguins hopefully they can at least wear them down.
yourbreakfast99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 04:01 PM   #425
bigbear2face

bigbear2face's Gamercard

While most 'Hawks fans are smart enough to acknowledge how bad Seabrook's hit was...it amazes me to see how many 'Hawks fans seem to think that's a clean hit. Some of the comments I've seen in news articles are mind blowing.

Edit: USA Today updated their online article about his hearing to say he has received a three game suspension. However, they are the only source I see saying that right now.

Edit 2: ESPN.com now has the news on a 3 game suspension.

Alea Iacta Est
MAL

Last edited by bigbear2face; 04-20-2014 at 07:29 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:34 PM   #426
ThunderingLefty

Two years ago...

Torres got a 2 minute minor and no suspension, with a prior history 10 pages long.

Two weeks ago...

Orpik got no penalty, no suspension.

For those of you who think it was a clean hit. His skates ARE down, I'll give you that, but initial contact is the head.

----------------

In both videos, neither player had the puck, and both were hit with initial contact to the head.

All the NHL has done is said that it's ok for the Blackhawks to be hit but not ok for them to hit the same way.

ThunderingLefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:39 PM   #427
Wildmn34

Wildmn34's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderingLefty View Post
In both videos, neither player had the puck, and both were hit with initial contact to the head.

All the NHL has done is said that it's ok for the Blackhawks to be hit but not ok for them to hit the same way.
Right... so nobody that hits a Chicago Blackhawk ever gets suspended, is that what you're trying to say?

It's so hard to have good conversations with people when they have blinders on. That's not a dig at you Thunder, it's just too often people only want to see things from one small perspective and not the larger picture.

Based on the video I just posted, can't we argue that Seabrook was on the receiving end of a bad hit, so he should be one of the ones that never does it. That's not even taking into account that he hit Corey Perry in the head right before he got hit... and he wasn't suspended for that. So, one video from me shows that Blackhawks have gotten away with hits to the head AND other teams get suspended for hitting Blackhawks with hits to the head.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:05 PM   #428
ThunderingLefty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildmn34
That's not even taking into account that he hit Corey Perry in the head right before he got hit... and he wasn't suspended for that. So, one video from me shows that Blackhawks have gotten away with hits to the head AND other teams get suspended for hitting Blackhawks with hits to the head.
Please. Who's wearing blinders? Seabrook's hit on Perry was shoulder to shoulder and barely a glancing hit.

You also ignore the rule changes. In 2010, Seabrook's hit on Perry was 100% legal; shoulder, receiver put self in bad position. It was barely little more than a push. Wisniewski's hit on Seabrook was 100% illegal; head, leaping, forearms up, clear intent to injure.

The rule changed before the 10/11 season and again for the 11/12 season.

ThunderingLefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:31 AM   #429
PyreBall

Send a message via AIM to PyreBall Send a message via MSN to PyreBall Send a message via Yahoo to PyreBall

Biggreen719's Gamercard

It did my heart good to see the Bluejackets win game two. Also, yeah, there's been a lot of gnarly hockey here. This is an unusual amount of nastiness for round 1.
Soul Calibur IV, Soul Calibur V, Tekken 6, Super Street Fighter IV, MvC3, Puzzle Quest, Halo: Reach, Madden 10, Left 4 Dead 2, Borderlands, Gears of War 3,, Modern Warfare 3, Rock Band, MvC2, Battlefield 1943, Castle Crashers
PyreBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:24 AM   #430
bigbear2face

bigbear2face's Gamercard

You make my biggest argument for me Thunder. I constantly complain about the inconsistency in how players are punished for dangerous hits. Wild knows this.

The problem isn't that Seabrook got suspended. The problem is that players who deserve suspensions often don't get them. Only a fool thinks Seabrook didn't deserve 3 (and probably more) games. Posting videos showing that other players haven't gotten suspended doesn't change this in the slightest.

If you want to keep playing that game I could post dozens of hits on Blues players that deserved suspensions and didn't even get penalized in game. Much less a post game review. Heck, two years ago when 'Hawks fans were up in arms over the Torres hit on Hossa in the playoffs there was a game in the same round where a Kings player made a much worse hit on a Blues player (I think it was Brown on Pietroangelo). No in game penalty. No post game review.

By the way...Seabrook's hit on Backes was as bad, if not worse, then Torres' hit on Hossa and Torres got 25 games for that. 25 games. Seabrook got 3 games. 3 games. I guess the only difference between 25 and 3 is a past history. Which is stupid if the NHL is serious about ending these hits. Differing punishment like this could even lead to serious litigation and maybe even government oversight.

There is no secret that the NHL is terrible about evenly applying this crap. That doesn't change the fact that Seabrook clearly put a dangerous hit on Backes and deserved a suspension. If anything he got off light. Seabrook has a sterling reputation and as such I'm not demonizing the guy. But he made a mistake and should be punished.

Alea Iacta Est
MAL

Last edited by bigbear2face; 04-21-2014 at 01:41 AM.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:47 AM   #431
Wildmn34

Wildmn34's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderingLefty View Post

The rule changed before the 10/11 season and again for the 11/12 season.
I'm not ignoring any rule changes. I was just going off your statement before, where you said the NHL has proven it's ok for teams to hit the Blackhawks but they can't hit back.

Quote:
You make my biggest argument for me Thunder. I constantly complain about the inconsistency in how players are punished for dangerous hits. Wild knows this.

The problem is that players who deserve suspensions often don't get them
(mostly playing devil's advocate)

This is where one team's fans get caught up in their thinking, and Bear and I have discussed this before. One team's fan see there player get suspended for a hit. They then search through their memory and find a hit that in their minds is similar, alike, or worse than the hit that their guy got suspended for and say "That's not fair what about this hit..." and then post a video.

The thing is, none of us know the entire process that goes on, what's said between people talking about the hit, reviewing the hit, or the hearing for the hit that results in the suspension/fine/talking to of a player. None of us know what a players file looks like or includes. Sure we can guess at what's in it and for the most part make reasonable assumptions but we don't know.

You can't look at one hit from a game and directly compare it to another hit. It's the natural reaction to want to, but you can't. There are so many variables that go into the ultimate decisions that we don't always see/know about. Like I mentioned above, the NHLPA has to stop protecting the players that do stuff like this time and time again. I honestly don't understand how they can look out for the interests of everyone when they have both parties (the guy that got hit and the guy that hit him) under one banner. That's a big reason why people think it's unfair at times.

In my opinion the NHL does a great job at education fans, and players, about why decisions are made. Look at the NHL videos, they are pretty transparent no other sport has that. The NHL has finally started over the past couple years to be willing to discipline based on injury - not always, but it's a start.

It still boggles my mind how two (or more) people can see the same play/hit - from the same view points - and each of them have a different opinion of what happened. That factors into everything too. I've read a lot of posts about this Seabrook hit and several people have said "it wasn't late" "the puck was right there" "it wasn't to the head" etc.

Did any of that make sense? lol

Side note: Good lord Kings what the hell are you doing? They've been absolutely spanked now. Can't believe tonight's score.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:51 PM   #432
bigbear2face

bigbear2face's Gamercard

I think my main problem with the process is the prior record part. And even then I'm conflicted.

Part of me agrees that guys like Raffi Torres should be punished more then a guy like Seabrook even if it can be shown with no doubt that the hit was identical.

Another part of me thinks it's dangerous to treat hits differently for any reason other then the severity of the hit itself. I even have some problems with treating some hits differently. A dangerous hit is a dangerous hit. If you really want to put an end to them you have to have severe and even punishment across the board.

I also feel like the NHL and NHLPA need to be more proactive because they are potentially exposing themselves to future litigation (somewhat similar to some of the lawsuits brought on the NFL). If we start seeing an up tick in things like early on set dementia in retired hockey players not only could you face lawsuits from former players but you could see the Canadian and US governments get involved. A sports league losing it's anti-trust exemption and the benefits that brings can be financially crippling.

Alea Iacta Est
MAL

Old 04-21-2014, 04:05 PM   #433
PyreBall

Send a message via AIM to PyreBall Send a message via MSN to PyreBall Send a message via Yahoo to PyreBall

Biggreen719's Gamercard

Quote:

The problem isn't that Seabrook got suspended. The problem is that players who deserve suspensions often don't get them. Only a fool thinks Seabrook didn't deserve 3 (and probably more) games. Posting videos showing that other players haven't gotten suspended doesn't change this in the slightest.
I have been saying this for years. I'm still irate that Lucic was not punished for his headshot on Miller. Hopefully with Shanahan stepping down the discipline will be more consistent.
Soul Calibur IV, Soul Calibur V, Tekken 6, Super Street Fighter IV, MvC3, Puzzle Quest, Halo: Reach, Madden 10, Left 4 Dead 2, Borderlands, Gears of War 3,, Modern Warfare 3, Rock Band, MvC2, Battlefield 1943, Castle Crashers
Old 04-21-2014, 06:00 PM   #434
Grizzled Gamer

Screwju's Gamercard
Quote:
I think my main problem with the process is the prior record part. And even then I'm conflicted.

Part of me agrees that guys like Raffi Torres should be punished more then a guy like Seabrook even if it can be shown with no doubt that the hit was identical.

Another part of me thinks it's dangerous to treat hits differently for any reason other then the severity of the hit itself. I even have some problems with treating some hits differently. A dangerous hit is a dangerous hit. If you really want to put an end to them you have to have severe and even punishment across the board.

I also feel like the NHL and NHLPA need to be more proactive because they are potentially exposing themselves to future litigation (somewhat similar to some of the lawsuits brought on the NFL). If we start seeing an up tick in things like early on set dementia in retired hockey players not only could you face lawsuits from former players but you could see the Canadian and US governments get involved. A sports league losing it's anti-trust exemption and the benefits that brings can be financially crippling.
This is why I can't take anything the PA does seriously. On one hand they whine and cry and advise their members to sue after their careers for a quick cash grab, and on the other, they fight tooth and nail when the league tries to implement safety measures (ie: visors) citing "it should be up to the players individually".

They are the only union (sorry, association of independent contractors ) on this planet that doesn't advocate for their member's safety.

The hell with them. Let them get their teeth cracked out, their eyeballs carved from their skulls, and their brains turned into hamburger for our entertainment. They are the ones doing it to themselves.

Until they start respecting each other with the safety aspect, why should anything change?

Bring on the blood!

My Battlelog:

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/user/Screwju/
Grizzled Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:10 PM   #435
bigbear2face

bigbear2face's Gamercard

A radio personality here in town compared the Seabrook hit to illegal hits in football today. He compared the head hits on defenseless receivers to the hit on Backes. I'm not sure it's a fair comparison. However, if it is...how can you argue that an action that could bring a fine or suspension in the NFL is something that belongs in hockey?

I know that this is an apples and oranges argument here but it does provoke some thought about the general concept of illegal hits in hockey.

Alea Iacta Est
MAL

Old 04-22-2014, 05:00 AM   #436
Wildmn34

Wildmn34's Gamercard

Man, great game by the Wild tonight. That first period was crazy. Not sure when the last time I have ever seen a team absolutely dominate a period like that. 22 shots in the first period alone. Varlamov stood on his head, wow he was good. Wild win in OT, should have been 4-0 at the least without Varly.

Downside, Matt Cooke. He was doing so well since 2011. But, I don't like that hit on Barrie at all. Now Barrie is out 4-6 weeks with an MCL injury and Cooke only got a 2 min penalty. Seeing it at game speed it didn't look terrible, looked like an errant leg with a player trying to juke around him. Ok, 2 min penalty, I can see that. Seeing it again though, from the end zone view... ugh it looked bad. He should have gotten a 5 min penalty for kneeing and done for the game. (and this coming from a Wild fan)

Now, he gets an in person hearing with the NHL where... the NHLPA will be defending him for hurting another member of the NHLPA. If I was an NHLPA member I'd be pissed about this process.

Being that the NHL thinks playoff games are "wroth" more than regular season games, and according to how the rules are written - Cooke is not considered a repeat offender - I'll say 3 game suspension, unless they want to make an example out of him and try to quell the growing stupid stuff in the first round then he will get 5 or 6 games.

Regardless what happens with him a young promising D-man is done for 4-6 weeks and that's a shame.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:12 AM   #437
bigbear2face

bigbear2face's Gamercard

How is Cooke not considered a repeat offender? You type his named in youtube and it's a practically endless series of illegal hits...has he never been suspended? Hell, it was his hit on Savard that practically started this whole new program...

I'm happy for the Wild for their win. Did all the teams down 2-0 in the West win tonight? I know Chicago pulled out a huge win in a game in which they were largely dominated. Crawford was absolutely great.

Alea Iacta Est
MAL

Old 04-22-2014, 05:19 AM   #438
Wildmn34

Wildmn34's Gamercard

Quote:
How is Cooke not considered a repeat offender? You type his named in youtube and it's a practically endless series of illegal hits...has he never been suspended? Hell, it was his hit on Savard that practically started this whole new program...

I'm happy for the Wild for their win. Did all the teams down 2-0 in the West win tonight? I know Chicago pulled out a huge win in a game in which they were largely dominated. Crawford was absolutely great.
He's not a repeat offended because they only use the last 2 years for repeat offended status. Great NHLPA logic there right? That was one of the thngs they pushed for because they didn't want unfair suspensions for players who had "changed".

Yeah, all the 2-0 teams that played tonight won. Dallas, Chicago and Minnesota all won. :-)
Old 04-22-2014, 04:31 PM   #439
PyreBall

Biggreen719's Gamercard

Man, poor Columbus. That's a heartbreaking way to lose.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:34 PM   #440
[Ku-Ga] MasonCooper42

MasonCooper42's Gamercard
Right a) seabrook hit was bad, but b) the boards did most of the damage. C) i dont think it was too bad, bad but not chara on habs into stanchion bad.

All in all right decision was taken all round.

I read backes may be back by second round

Madden 06, 08, 09. Fifa 06 Road to world cup + world cup 06, Avatar The Burning Earth and Fight Night Round 3.

Completed Arcade Games,

1 Vs 100, Battlefield 1943, Harm's Way

http://gamer-issues.blogspot.com/
[Ku-Ga] MasonCooper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:35 PM   #441
[Ku-Ga] MasonCooper42

MasonCooper42's Gamercard
Columbus man! All u needed to do is park the bus.

Now just go and sit with the leafs.

Madden 06, 08, 09. Fifa 06 Road to world cup + world cup 06, Avatar The Burning Earth and Fight Night Round 3.

Completed Arcade Games,

1 Vs 100, Battlefield 1943, Harm's Way

http://gamer-issues.blogspot.com/
[Ku-Ga] MasonCooper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:49 AM   #442
Rapture639

Rapture639's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Fight Club Challenge Club - Tier 2   Fight Club Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - KillerBEA   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Talk about screwing up in a really bad way:

Be a Hunter, not a Hater.
Keep Calm, and Achieve On!
MAL
Rapture639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:49 PM   #443
bigbear2face

bigbear2face's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture639 View Post

I've seen worse. But not in the playoffs...

Alea Iacta Est
MAL

Old Yesterday, 07:01 PM   #444
PyreBall

Biggreen719's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture639 View Post

Heck yeah, Bluejackets! Might be time to bench Fleury. He is not the goalie he once was.
Old Yesterday, 07:51 PM   #445
yourbreakfast99

Breakfas's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)
I bet my friend $20 the Blue Jackets would at least go to 6 games, smart bet know.
yourbreakfast99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:27 AM   #446
Wildmn34

Wildmn34's Gamercard

Wild win 2-1.

What a game, Granlund ws absolutely huge. Had a great game, but the last 40 seconds Wild had a penalty so it was 4 on 6 and Granlund had 3 huge shot blocks all without his stick. Amazing finish.

Also Wild allowed a franchise low 12 shots the whole game. Just awesome defense. What a game fun to watch.

side note: Cooke suspended 7 games for his kneeing penalty. A little more than I expected, but I can't argue at all with the explanation either.