Just a Flesh Wound Guide

pwningyoursoul

After more than two hours and about $250, I finally got this achievement. So to save some of you biutiful people some time and much-not-needed frustration, I'm going to tell you how you can beat this son of a bitch with minimal mental turmoil.

WHERE IS THE GAME?

Five finger fillet can be played by finding Abbott in the Second Chance Bar near the entrance to Wellspring. This is the first place where you can play, however you might be able to find another place to play later on in the game. If anyone knows if you can play it somewhere else, let me know and I'll add it in this guide.

HOW THE GAME WORKS

Five finger fillet in RAGE is all about timing. When you start the game, your character will swoop the knife back and forth in a half oval motion across his fingers. A red orb shows where the knife will come down when you press :abut: to stab. Your goal is to press :abut: when the red orb is in one of the six glowing sections between your fingers. The six sections are:

1: The section underneath your thumb.

2: The section between your thumb and index finger.

3: The section between your index finger and middle finger.

4: The section between your middle finger and ring finger.

5: The section between your ring finger and pinkie.

6: The section to the left of your pinkie.

http://p.twimg.com/AbBCmgYCEAApCWp.jpg

For the achievement, you have to finish all five rounds. You are allowed three mistakes, or "strikes," per round. Three strikes and you're out, forcing you to start back at Round 1.

Here's how to unlock the achievement:

ROUND 1:

Round 1 is a piece of cake. The knife moves slowly back and for across your fingers and the sequence is easy. Round 1 goes as such:

1, 6, 1, 5, 1, 4, 1, 3, 1, 2, 1

ROUND 2:

Round 2 may or may not be any faster-paced, I can't really tell. What you really need to know, though, is the sequence. Here it is:

1, 2, 1, 3, 1, 4, 1, 5, 1, 6, 1, 5, 1, 4, 1, 3, 1, 2, 1

ROUND 3:

Round 3 has the same sequence as round two, but the knife move a bit faster this time around. It might take a strike or two to get the timing down, but it's not too bad. Here's the sequence again:

1, 2, 1, 3, 1, 4, 1, 5, 1, 6, 1, 5, 1, 4, 1, 3, 1, 2, 1

ROUND 4:

Round 4 might take a few tries to get. Not only does the knife move faster, but the sequence changes up and is quite difficult at first. Timing and sequence memorization are key here. The sequence is:\

1, 2, 1, 3, 1, 4, 1, 5, 1, 6, 2, 6, 3, 6, 4, 6, 5, 6, 4, 6, 3, 6, 2, 6, 1

ROUND 5:

This is where all your patience must come into play. See, id Software decided to make this round have completely random sequences. There are no patterns, so there's no way to tell which section will light up next. But AHA!, there is a way to outsmart the game. Here's how it works:

While the countdown is going for the round to start, keep your right thumb on the :abut: button while placing your left thumb on the :start: button. The first section to light up is 1 every time, but after that is when the randomness starts. Try to time it so that the red orb is in the middle of the glowing section, then press :abut: AND :start: AT THE SAME TIME. This will pause the game and also make the next section you must stab inside of light up. Take a deep breath, prepare yourself and then unpause the game. Repeat this until you finish the final round and grab yourself 15:gsicon:!

I hope this saves some of you out there some time, money and mental stability. Good luck out there in the Wastelands!

Edited by pwningyoursoul
Left out information

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hm, I always press A while the red dot is still on the table, yet he stabs himself in the finger?

Bullshit for sure

Edit: I just recorded an attempt, watched in on the PC and saw why it is happening.

The shadow of the pointer finger counts as finger!!

So anyone attempting this, focus on the area directly above the thumb or else .. you'll hurt yourself.

Edited by T0b3

Wow some of you people go ape s**t over cheevos....sad.

I'm sorry, but it appears like your troll didn't succeed.

Anyhow, I'm currently on this uncalled-for achievement as well and I'm PRETTY SURE that I've encountered the same scheme on the 5th round thrice. Nonetheless, I screwed up but it's interesting that it is - in fact - not entirely random, the game just picks a premade scheme randomly.

I'm sorry, but it appears like your troll didn't succeed.

Anyhow, I'm currently on this uncalled-for achievement as well and I'm PRETTY SURE that I've encountered the same scheme on the 5th round thrice. Nonetheless, I screwed up but it's interesting that it is - in fact - not entirely random, the game just picks a premade scheme randomly.

Im sorry...are you one of those clowns who threathens to destroy his Xbox or do bodily harm if you dont get a cheevo...Yea your one of them.Fallback son!!!

Thanks for the help. You may have saved me from breaking my controller.

I remember doing something like this for another game. Think it was Way of the Samurai 3. Had to get a counter kill count of 100 and you did this by starting the cycle and then pressing A,X,Y, or B. Luckily someone posted that you could pause the game after each kill to see what the next quick action would be.

Im sorry...are you one of those clowns who threathens to destroy his Xbox or do bodily harm if you dont get a cheevo...Yea your one of them.Fallback son!!!

Sorry but this achievement is just downright bullshit. I spent AT LEAST 2 and a half hours trying to do this legit. Here is why I think its bullshitting.

1. They build this mini game up by having not one BUT FOUR specific patterns based on memory and reflex.

The fifth level is random. That wouldn't be that big of deal if you didnt have to play the first four levels every fucking time. So not only does the minigame bash in your brain a pattern, but if you fail the last round you get to repeat it again and again.

So for me, when got there, my brain and reflexes were shot because unconsciously I still had the patterns in the back of my mind. So for method achievement became more luck based rather then skill based because of the way they set it up. I hate luck based achievements. :uzi:

Sorry but this achievement is just downright bullshit. I spent AT LEAST 2 and a half hours trying to do this legit. Here is why I think its bullshitting.

1. They build this mini game up by having not one BUT FOUR specific patterns based on memory and reflex.

The fifth level is random. That wouldn't be that big of deal if you didnt have to play the first four levels every fucking time. So not only does the minigame bash in your brain a pattern, but if you fail the last round you get to repeat it again and again.

So for me, when got there, my brain and reflexes were shot because unconsciously I still had the patterns in the back of my mind. So for method achievement became more luck based rather then skill based because of the way they set it up. I hate luck based achievements. :uzi:

Taking in-between breaks will also help.Why sit there for 2 hrs getting pissed off? :p

Taking in-between breaks will also help.Why sit there for 2 hrs getting pissed off? :p

I did. I even tried to walk away and wait ten minutes before pressing A to start the fifth round.

My brain just doesn't work the way it has this setup. Think of say, Guitar Hero or Rock Band, which I do play. Notes don't change unless you change difficulty. It's very much a reflex and memory based game.

My problem with the RAGE mini-game of 5 Finger Fillet, is that the first four rounds build into my memory and muscle relexes to a point where the last level is unjustly harder then it should be. I would have must prefered the entire game be random.

I could get far in round five, not sure how close I ever got, but it couldn't have been more than a couple notes. But I literally never saw the same pattern twice. So the entire time I would get around 5-6 correct, and then it would throw something that I wasn't expecting and there went a strike. I would get past that point than fail again.

Seriously, the game doesn't do a good job getting you ready for round five. Round 1 is so slow it's sad. Rounds 2 and 3...ARE THE SAME. Seriously, it's the SAME thing only round 3 is faster. Round 4 is the same only with some added hits at the end. So as I go through rounds 2,3, and 4, I have this pattern I cannot shake from my mind.

Could I have gotten it without using the trick? Probably. Did it save me a headache from putting myself through more time on a mini-game? Yes. Do I feel I cheated the system? No, I feel the mini-game is unfair. Make it all random. Don't build me up into a pattern then snatch it away at the hardest moment.

this is fuckin bullshit. i cant even get a single fucking hit on the table no matter what i do i stab myself. what the fuck am i doin wrong here?

EDIT - oh it glows where youre supposed to stab... lol. whoops

Edited by KevinCa316

:D dude i freaking love you thank you so much . Im for sure going to get all the achievements on rage i love the game but this one was driving me crazy . I mastered round 1 2 3 and 4 i even did all of them with out any strikes a few times but with over 4 hours of playing last night i failed on round 5 every freaking time . I just tryed what you said and got it first try no strikes thank you !

Some people just aren't very good at Simon Says. I found this achievement to be extremely easy.

I don't know if anyone else had this problem with round five but (going by the way the hand is numbered in the video) I had two hours of 1 6 5 6 5 6 5 2 1 1 5 4 with veal like that there was no time to react properly.

I was working at this damn Achievement for about 2 hours last night and 1 more this afternoon... Then tried this Pause trick and it worked like a charm! Got it on my first go... I felt like an ass for not thinking of it myself.

If I could buy you a beer I would! :drunk

Edited by Vulx