is it worth buying?

DecadentBeaver

Howdy folks. I'm getting some big cash for xmas, so along with internet to get back online again, I'm looking at gettin some games.

Decided on Gears of War 3, and looking for one more that's not CoD. I've heard a buzz about the game from 1 person who has it, and was wondering if you fine people would recommend it?

I have some back up ideas if not, but it does look pretty. Thanks in advance.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are looking for a great game to accompany' GoW3 at crimbo then I'd have to say Skyrim.

My crimbo games are....

1. Elder Scrolls V : Skyrim (played at my mates)

2. Dead Island

3. Assassin's Creed Revelations

4. Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary

5. RAGE

6. Batman Arkham City

7. Saint's Row The Third

8. Forza Motorsport 4

9. Lord of the Rings: War In the North

So, yeah I'm gonna be a very busy man for a few months after crimbo :woop::woop::woop:

I bought it two days ago, haven't found a single fault with it yet, whereas most games I'd have found something to complain at by now :p

If you live in the UK you should be able to get it from Asda for £25 new as well, glad I picked it up.

£25 on GAME.co.uk at the moment, got it ordered but have to wait till Dec 25th :mad:

This game is awesome! Checked it out from gamefly and can't put it down. It reminds me a lot of borderlands (wasteland, fighting bandits, & job boards) but without the rpg style and sort of like call of duty (graphics and when you get hit the screen turns red and your guy breaths hard). I really recommend it although I've only played it for about 4 hours.

sort of like call of duty (graphics)

Not trying to slag you or anything.. But no.. CoD's graphics aren't even *close* to this, so I am not sure how it reminds you of CoD graphically. CoD looks PS2tastic next to Rage.

OP: This is a great game, a little low on substance, but great. The eyecandy is probably the best we will ever see on the 360, the voice acting is top notch, controls are great (in vehicle and out) and it runs at a buttery smooth 60fps.

That said, I found it lacking in a few places. Story for one, once you get to disc two it feels like they wrap it up way too fast. It is like they had more story for us but had to leave it on the cutting room floor. You can almost feel that gap in the story. Some of the missions feel forced. By that I mean, it is the same as the one you did before, just in reverse. You will see what I mean. I really wish they had cut out the multiplayer in favour of a longer campaign, but it is what it is.

I would recommend this game for sure. But do not set your bar too high or you may be disappointed.

Edited by CouchOrnament

I did not like the demo at all but still picked it up on black Friday on the cheap. I am really enjoying it, I wont go for the full 1000 as a hate any achievements now that are just time consuming but its definitely worth a playthrough. Nightmare difficulty actually is not that hard to boot.

Keyword being "sort of"...COD was the only FPS game I could think of that came closest.

Again I say, CoD is not even close. Not even Battlefield 3, which has gfx better than CoD, is even close.

My point was, that you are devaluing the graphical prowess of Rage by comparing it to any other FPS out there. Rage is in a class by itself in the graphical department. But that is about all it stands out in.

Edited by CouchOrnament

Again I say, CoD is not even close. Not even Battlefield 3, which has gfx better than CoD, is even close.

My point was, that you are devaluing the graphical prowess of Rage by comparing it to any other FPS out there. Rage is in a class by itself in the graphical department. But that is about all it stands out in.

Hmmm I played the shit out of Bf3 and I'd say the bf3 graphics look better imo. But I do agree Rage is worth the buy. Its $30 at Best Buy right now (reason I grabbed it). Im a few hours in and so far its really fun and entertaining, and does have really good graphics.

22GB to Install is a BITCH though!

Hmmm I played the shit out of Bf3 and I'd say the bf3 graphics look better imo. But I do agree Rage is worth the buy. Its $30 at Best Buy right now (reason I grabbed it). Im a few hours in and so far its really fun and entertaining, and does have really good graphics.

22GB to Install is a BITCH though!

Hmm, I was actually thinking about going there with the BF3. But I was afraid of the CoD Fanboys. LOL. Honestly though, I found that they are different art styles completely. Aside from that, Rage felt to me, like it had far more depth graphically. BF3 looks amazing, do not get me wrong, it just didn't seem to pop. Sure the people looked more realistic in BF3, but aside from that I found that ID Tech 5 outdid Frostbite 2. Partially that could be because of the sense of realism 60fps puts out that you just don't get with 30fps.

And yeah, 22GB install is freaking insane!!!

Personally, I bought it for full price and then returned it after a week or so. It was a very good game at first and I was really enjoying it, but eventually you realise that you are doing the same thing over and over:

Go to this location and kill all the enemies

Go to this location and find this item by killing all of the enemies

Go to this location and kill this boss after killing all of the other enemies

Sounds fun, right? :|

Personally, I bought it for full price and then returned it after a week or so. It was a very good game at first and I was really enjoying it, but eventually you realise that you are doing the same thing over and over:

Go to this location and kill all the enemies

Go to this location and find this item by killing all of the enemies

Go to this location and kill this boss after killing all of the other enemies

Sounds fun, right? :|

This completely, the story is a really interesting idea, however the actual missions are just exactly like this guy described.

It's pretty short as well, I've done a fewside missions and I've completed the game with around six hours game time, which is pathetic, especially for a game so hyped up as Rage was.

I would rent the game if I were you, it's definitely not worth paying anything more than around £20

• 2 weeks later...

hello,

This is a great game. It is similar to borderlands and I love borderlands.

However the game disappoints me in one aspect. There are not enough missions. The game definitely does not have the scope of borderlands or oblivion (and presumably skyrim).

Having said that the game is great in every other aspect.

It is totally worth buying if you enjoy RPG / Shooter / Action-Adventure type games! From the gameplay to the amazing graphics, which by the way looks like a "launch title for the Next Xbox" that would come out :eek:

I found it for only $19.19 US on amazon. One of the greatest purchases of my life. Seriously, the replay value for this game is high above.