Got any tips for winning ranked races?

MattNoChance

I know this is a stupid question and you will all answer, drive faster and come first lol but i'm really struggling to win a ranked race of any type.

I've come 2nd sooo many times and it's pissing me off now, you usually get one guy is something like rank 50 and wins everytime. I'm level 21 now and just can't see how this is possible to have not won yet. i even swear sometimes the opponents' cars crash into you even when they are ghosts on the rally stages on multiplayer.

if you have all the ranked win cheeves what game type\race did you do it on?

share your experiences and knowledge!

cheers :)

Always do one with collisions enabled. Then, just hope many collide on the first corner and you somehow swerve through, whilst the others try and get back on track.

When you regain 1st place, try to keep focus on the corners and hairpins - don't over-do it and lose control. Don't look back too wondering where cars are - that'll only take your focus away.

You've got to get to like level 30 for an achievement, so just keep playing. You're bound to get lucky at points where you win.

Don't worry MattNoChance if you haven't won a race yet, I got my first win yesterday at level 27 and my second win followed soon after.

For me I do best with Last Man Standing with the Toyota Truck, when no one else has one. It's a matter of getting through the first corner melee in first or close second and then concentrating on your race and not making mistakes. As someone else mentioned don't worry about whats happening behind you.

Having trouble with this one too and I'm LV30. It seems that there is always "one" better person in the room who will never leave. Collisions or not all the same BS applies. I can't tell you how many times I've placed 2nd cause some dirty whore waste of life son of a goat herder pits or slams me on the last lap.

I didnt win a race till around lvl20 but after that i was winnin quite alot.

I did alot of xrally and raid stuff and just held back and let everyone smash up on 1st corner and then just hope u get through and keep 1st......good luck.

Edit: Oh and i know when i first started playin i would always try not to hit anyone and kind of pussy around and that would cost me a win or 10, dont be too nice if the only way past someone is through them then do it, whats more important How someone who u dont know and probably never will thinks of u or gettin your 5 wins:).

Im not saying be a dirty little fucker but if needs must do what it takes.

And dont always go for the fastest vehicle, look for good handling especially in raid events or anything on dirt.

Edited by DLStChad II

dead easy do the elimination/domination races at about 6-8am and wait for someone to join make him crash and voila he usually retires easy win

Nice one fella. :mad: Or you could actually race seeing as there's only 2 of you and see if you have any skill whatsoever? 50:50 chance not good enough?

IMO, stay away from the full-contact races--you are almost completely at the whim of the demolition derby crowd who think it's more fun to play bumper cars than race. Usually the ones that make it out of the first turn clusterf*ck are the ones who are going to end up on the podium. Best workaround for that is to wait a second or two at the start before you hit the gas and try to go around the crash that will happen nine times out of ten.

You are better off staying with the timed events (trailblazer and rally) that are 100% dependent on your own skill. That being said, I believe the only way to get better is rubber on the road. You can't be competitive on a track that you do not know every inch of when you are racing against guys (and girls) that do, it's just that simple. The more you practice on a track, the more confident you will be on every turn; when to brake, when to hit the gas, when to start your slide, if you can hit that long turn at full throttle or if you have to let up on the gas just enough, etc. Once you do that, then the rest will just come naturally. You can be the best natural driver in the world, but it doesn't mean much if you don't know the road you're on.

I will be the first to admit that I'm not even close to the best racer out there, but the more tracks I get more comfortable on, the better the result. Though I only have 10 wins to my credit for 160-odd races (didn't get my 5 win 'chiever till level 29), at level 33 my overall stats are a touch better than a podium finish every three times out--with most of the podiums coming out of the last four or five levels.

The most important thing is to learn the tracks you are racing and dont crash. If you have a clean run, you'll be top 3 every time, i can just about guarantee that.

Pick a car you like, learn how it behaves and try to stick to it. I like the evo X lancer myself.

Learn the braking points. Brake early for the first corner while everyone else goes flat out into it, (usually way too wide) then just cruise past them. Learn the racing lines. Learn where the bumps that upset the car are. Learn to take hairpins properly. The scandanavian flick works really well in this game if you can master it. Learn how to launch off the line, dont just sit on the limiter and dump it. If you find youself understeering out of a corner, a quick tap of the hand brake or back a gear usually gets you back on the line faster.

I find the Evo X gets off the line nicely when youre raising the revs to a little over 6 grand by revving it in time with the lights. By the second last light, you should have hit the 6k mark. then between that light and the last light, by the time you give it another rev to the floor you should hit the 6 - 6.5k by the time the light goes green, keep into it, then one bounce off the limiter to keep the revs and boost right up, then straight into second. (its a lot easier done then said!)

Dont go flat out, foot to the floor the whole time. Go slow in, fast out at the tighter corners. (some 3s - 1s)

Even though its rallying on dirt, try to keep the car straight whenever possible, not sideways, because you will lose too much speed through wheelspin.

Drive manual - its quicker if you keep it off the rev limiter and allows you to balance the car into the corner, and come out of it in the right gear without the car bogging down. kicking back a gear rather then braking is always quicker in the flowing corners (4's - 3's etc)

I use the wheel myself as i find i have so much more precision over small adjustments, like bumps on the straights. the downhill part at the start of the ladang mine run comes to mind as a spot where really fine adjustments are needed to keep it on the track straight and to get the right line into the jumps.

You can cut a LOT of corners in this game to make up time too, particularly in trailblazer, just watch out for rocks hidden in the grass. On some corners, the co-driver evens tells you to cut it.

And try to stay out of the water if possible, you lose a lot of speed when you hit it. especially if you are sideways when you do.

Sorry for the long post, its a little quiet at work today and i have nothing better to do :)

Edited by sneh

I can give some tips for Rallycross. Most people think its the place where you always will be bumped no matter what. Not true. Ive won about 50 to 60 out of 70 races in Rallycross. Now I do get one of the fastest lap times in Rallycross in the world (top 20) but its vital to know what to do.

Cars: There are only a few reasonable cars for Rallycross. The best of them are the Colin McRae R4 and Ford RS200 Evolution. If you unlocked the Ford (by doing Rallycross world tour) I would suggest using the Ford. But if you dont have it yet, the McRae R4 is great too. It has good acceleration and probably the best drivability for all Rallycross cars.

Corners: Rallycross is played on city tracks, therefor, you cant cut corners. But in order to set good lap times you really have to take risks. When taking a corner, drift through the corner just stay away from the inner corner wall by a few inches. This often is the fastest way through a corner and will save you seconds on each lap, making a comeback likely if you crashed.

Avoiding Crashes: It depends on where you start. If you start in the first row try to keep as much speed as possible so others behind you have no time to hit you. Its better to screw up the corner then to get rammed. If you start in the middle rows, go to the outside immedately at the start and just try to avoid the big pile of cars when they all crash into eachother. People in the last row can just stay back and overtake people when they crash. People that ram you often do it because they are shit a racing and cant win the fair way. If you know one of them is behind you, do a very late brake and drift through the corner, make it so that the person behind you cant follow unless he brakes (in other words, make sure you already are 'round the corner when you brake, so there is not a ''straight line'' from the person behind you, to your car) To overtake other people without crashing, wait for them until they are driving towards the inside corner. If they are driving towards the inside corner they will have problems with braking, wont brake at the corner but more at the outside corner and they will lose a lot of speed. When you see someone doing this go to the outside yourself and overtake them in the inside corner. Since you have more speed you will have enough speed to fully overtake them.

To cause others to crash (which can be useful) put a lot of pressure on them. Give them the feeling that you are about to overtake them in every corner. They will eventually screw up and crash, or make a mistake and you can overtake.

But most important, first practice on the tracks! Try to take more risks by driving closer to the wall and do this until you cant improve your lap time and until you dont make any mistakes. It took me some time to get the hang of Rallycross, but now I go around walls/blockades by only a few inches at full speed. It gives me an advantage over the others as I can take some corners faster because I take more risks, for example on Shibuya, after the first corner where there is this little wall where most people will just brake.

Edited by Rifle Elite

lol I'm shit at this game online aswell, level 11 and not even a single win yet :( practie is the only option in reality, all events are near enough the same so luck, time and a bit of skill is the answer! :)

well a bit of skill.....

If its was mainly about luck I wouldnt win 80% of my RallyX matches and I wouldnt win less then 10% of my Truck matches.

1) First try to get a good lap time, fast enough to make sure you should finish in the top half of most online races

2) Just explore online mode a bit. in the beginning stay back and just learn the driving styles of most people that play online. Play ''safe'' normally doesnt rewards you with a 1st place, but you should finish at a reasonable position most of the time.

3) When you get more experienced start to take more risk. Dont wait for other people to crash, but overtake them and build the pressure on them. You might get bumped a few times but if get more experienced you will know what to do to avoid getting bumped.

-Never try to overtake someone in a corner if you cannot fully overtake them

-If someone drives like shit ( nearly crashing after bumps/jump etc.) dont take too much risk at trying to overtake them. just build pressure on them and they will screw up eventually

-If someone has a bad driving rating (red skull) avoid them at all cost. 90% of the time they really are people who bump everyone off the road

Stick to rally & trailblazzers online. THere are so few tracks that if you pick one or two you are comfortable with and practice at them offline until perfected you should be good to go as they'll come up online pretty often. Never underestimate how terrible many people are at this game so if you are in a lobby with some of the great players and all you are after is 5 wins and not some competition racing, then simply quit the session and search again.

I reccomend one of the sprint circuit trailblazzers in China, its flat out the whole way with no beaking necessary (something only the good players seem to have figured out), aside from the hairpin cluster in the middle of the course, this is where the race is won or lost IMO for the best players, get a good entry, flow and exit to these corners are you can win everytime. For me, im best in Croatia, i have those 3 circuits (2 really) down to an art and have never lost a race there, even against people who are above online level 100.

Also i would avoid choosing UTAH as your practice till perfect level as TBH there are far to few opportunities to screw up on it, meaning everyone is good at it, thus making it harder to gain a wining advantage.

Rally/Trailblazzer is definitley my niche area and i do class myslef as one of the better players (around top 10-5%) based on the fact that i have around a 50% win ratio and 90% podium ratio. Ii guess this is me bragging a bit too but i hope i've given some of the players stuggling to get their 5 wins a good few tips that'll earn them some achievements

Edited by pined5551

I was finding this difficult until last night - I had a 50/50 rate in terms of getting on the podium but just couldn't get first place.

Up until last night I always selected a specific race style but hit the old problem of one or two people being just to good. Because I wanted some variation I chose 'Totality' last night and by the time i logged off I had 7 wins from 40ish races. The 40 races also got me from level 12 to 25 so just 5 more to go.

Lots of people have high rating's but it seems that is just down to time online rather than great skill.

Give it a go - it worked for me :woop:

My best advice is to practise the courses, put the hours in, you'll learn where to break, when to accerlate, and you'll just feel as if you're getting faster natrually, trust me.

Try to find a niche or speciality, something that'll give you a little edge, and practise that, such as Domination and Landrush in my case.

Oh and if in a Skirmish Playlist, don't be so aggressive and hasty at the start, it may just balance out in your favour. ;)

It's why I'm Level 31 Online with 39 Online wins. :p