A few quick tips for a Dead Rising Noob

Feonyx

When I first started playing this game I was really frustrated with the learning curve so here are a few tips for any other noobs that might have picked up the game.

1) You are going to die A LOT, but this game is all leveling up and going for the achievements it's not about completing the game (that comes later)

2) Stuff respawns when you leave and come back. Like that sword/gun? leave and come back and get another.

3) A Samurai Sword is on a ledge next to the orange juice in Columbian Roasters.

4) Pie + OJ in a blender = invincibility for a few seconds. All three are in Columbian Roasters. Stock up on OJ every time you go.

5) Go for the Zombie Genocide achievement first. Crazy talk you say? Set aside 2-3 hours. Then run out to garden area, run over to the flowers area, run into the tunnel, grab a car and drive down into the maintenance tunnel (I list it here because I had to search around to find it). Now watch a youtube video of the Zombie Genocide course (pretty much drive left run over the group of zombies, get in van drive to the other car in the SE corner, drive said car back out of the tunnel and repeat). This will get you a bunch of levels which will make the game easier and easier.

6) Oh and one last thing... jump everywhere you go. Zombies can't latch on to you when you are jumping so move throw spaces and jump.

Those six tips should help most noobs get a good start at the game and give it a good shot. It becomes a lot of fun later on.

Feonyx

Edited by Feonyx

When I first started playing this game I was really frustrated with the learning curve so here are a few tips for any other noobs that might have picked up the game.

1) You are going to die A LOT, but this game is all leveling up and going for the achievements it's not about completing the game (that comes later)

2) Stuff respawns when you leave and come back. Like that sword/gun? leave and come back and get another.

3) A Samurai Sword is on a ledge next to the orange juice in Columbian Roasters.

4) Pie + OJ in a blender = invincibility for a few seconds. All three are in Columbian Roasters. Stock up on OJ every time you go.

5) Go for the Zombie Genocide achievement first. Crazy talk you say? Set aside 2-3 hours. Then run out to garden area, run over to the flowers area, run into the tunnel, grab a car and drive down into the maintenance tunnel (I list it here because I had to search around to find it). Now watch a youtube video of the Zombie Genocide course (pretty much drive left run over the group of zombies, get in van drive to the other car in the SE corner, drive said car back out of the tunnel and repeat). This will get you a bunch of levels which will make the game easier and easier.

6) Oh and one last thing... jump everywhere you go. Zombies can't latch on to you when you are jumping so move throw spaces and jump.

Those six tips should help most noobs get a good start at the game and give it a good shot. It becomes a lot of fun later on.

Feonyx

Very good tips, in fact going for Zombie Genocider immediately will get you quite a bit of leveling. Also it's worth mentioning that survivors deal A LOT of PP, so if you still need some levels after completing ZG, start going for the Survivor Achievements and you'll be set at 50 probably in 1-2 additional runs max.

Here's what I did and I got to Level 36 in one playthrough!

- Take pictures at the start, sure it might only get you a couple thousand or less PP but still, every bit helps.

- As soon as you get to the Entrance Plaza outbreak, RUN to the stairs. Ignore everyone (they die in like two-three hits anyways from zombies).

- When you can go in the vent, head to the right towards the elevator and pick up the survivor here. Run to the other side of the roof and you'll spot a woman, reunite these two and as they hug each other, snap a picture. You'll get a high PP score off of this. Bring the two back to the safehouse...these are two of the only survivors you'll be saving.

- Make your way down to Paradise Plaza, go immediately upstairs towards the food place and head back on the other side of the counter. Pick up two orange juices (3 if you're confident with the next item) and head across from this food place to the sports store. Pick up 1-2 skateboards (depending on your inventory). DO NOT USE THEM UNTIL YOU'RE OUTSIDE.

- When you arrive outside (from the first floor), hop on your skateboard and check your map...you're going to want to head to the far left into a service parking lot. Just look at the outline of the main park area, it's the area that extends off between Wonderland and North Plaza. AVOID ALL OBSTACLES, IT'S NOT THAT DIFFICULT TO NAVIGATE WHEN YOU HAVE A HANG OF IT. Do not hit zombies with the skateboard, you might break it.

- Grab the red sports car and turn left through the pile of zombies, make a turn around the parking spaces and go towards the maint. tunnels.

- When in the tunnels, turn right immediately and drive through the zombies. Take your first left...follow this down in a right, left formation until you see a first turnoff to go right. Don't take it. You're going to want to take the right just before the white car (it's at the end of this long path). The reason for this is so you can get more zombie kills in with your red car before it's screwed. So drive down here about to the median and turn around over the median and drive back. If your car is in good condition (or not dark grey smoke), do one more cycle and come back towards where the white car is.

- Take the white car and drive back all the way towards the entrance of the tunnels (so go forward and take a right, left, right until you're at the entrance). Drive passed the entrance and keep going down, then turn left at the bend. The white car is more durable than the red sports car, so mow through the zombies, back up and turn around through the zombies...then drive back down the tunnel until you're at the bend again. Turn around and drive back (the reason for this is that it will respawn the large mass of zombies by the truck). Do this until your car is just about through and switch to the truck.

- In the truck, drive all the way down to the bend, go passed the entrance and just keep going straight down this long tunnel smashing large groups of zombies. Take a left at the deadend and go until you see a circular (use your map) part. Take the second left (meaning enter the top part of the circle) and circle all the way around and turn right back into the main big tunnel. Smash through the remaining corpses and when you reach the entrance, drive up.

- Run straight through the zombies in front of you and turn towards where the red car is...smash DIRECTLY into the POLE right beside it so you can get out of your car quickly (since the breaks are horrible on this thing). Rinse-repeat everything.

I hit 53, 594 zombies with about...30+ hours left on the clock. When you reach your goal, you can take two choices:

A.) Continue mowing through the zombies, you can likely get close to a 100,000 kills this way. With 20,000 PP per thousand zombies and 500PP per 50 zombies, you're looking at a total of 25,000PP each run through PLUS if you manage to get more than a 1000 zombies per run through (I was averaging (1200-1500), you may end up going up TWICE in just one runthrough, thus getting roughly 45,000PP (if say you killed 23,895 and then by the end, you would receive 20,000PP for hitting 24,000 and 20,000PP for hitting 25,000 in the same run, along with the additional 5,000+). It's very likely you'll surpass 40+ levels if you keep at it.

B.) After hitting 53, 594...just go do something else in the game. Case 1 is always active, no matter what...so you can go help Brad out and get a nice PP bonus for beating your first psychopath. And if it's on Day 2, you'll likely see cultists so that's 500PP per death from them. If you want you can try for survivors but...the AI is terrible. I only ended up saving 2 more after that couple on the roof...2 of the 3 folks holed up in the gunstore on Day three. The girl, Alyssa, had the absolute worse AI I have ever been disgraced with before. She would constantly stand still despite might orders to tell her to get moving, the other two weren't that bright either (one of the guys ended up dead) but she was unforgivable. She constantly would either stand still, or if she saw a zombie she'd go all "Amazon" on it and it pissed me off. Then the zombies would bumrush her and I'd have to save her idiot ass. She ran like she was messed up in the head, she sometimes refused to do ANYTHING while standing their crossing her damn arms. And "FRAAAANKK, FRAAAAAANK, WAH-HAAA-HAAAAA...T__T"...oh...my...god. I should have, I should have left her to the zombies...but...I got 120,000 PP for saving those two (would have had more if she didn't get her bald-headed friend killed).

Ahem...anyways, I had roughly...12-14 hours left and I went back to the tunnels. I killed a total of about 74,800 something zombies...it's easier to get that number in the first game than the second! And there are more zombies in that game, wtf!!

• 2 weeks later...

I high recommend for anyone who is starting on level one. Go to the bookstore across from the where you leave the warehouse to first enter the mall in actual play and grab the book that increase exp and the one that increase exp for zombie kills. then do the zombie genocider achievement, this will level you up really fast so you can start the game from a higher level next time.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't much care for the title, but on a side note I had this game two years ago, bout to get it again Monday for 10$, I didn't die alot in the beggining. But that is a good tip the Zombie genocider first, not only does it get rid of the hardest achievement in the game but it nets you the games most powerful gun, which can be used against the phychpaths and to clear zombies out of you way when you are doing the survivor achivements.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Don't go after the Genocider achivement first. You will miss out on what makes this game challenging (not hard,well towards the end it gets HARD,but anyway) Just take a bunch of pictures and when you meet a survivor keep that camera on them as much as you can,they will do a ''PP moment'' were the PP is above them then just snap a picture. Always save the two survivors near the Safe room. Jeff and Natalie. Jeff is in front of the vent on the roof,and Natalie is on the otherside. Get Jeff to follow you and then lead him to Natalie. When they get close to each other and hug snap a pic quick. That will net you 5,000-10,000 PP fast. Take them to the safe room.

Saving survivors is a great way to net you massive loads of PP,take advantage of this.

Look for PP Markers every were. Like in The Safe Room Above the bed were you can save will be a marker board,snap a picture. In Wonderland Plaza The Giant Willaimette Bunny,in the play area next to it the Child's Windmill. Stuff like that.

Stock up on food and find good weapons. The game gets much easier as you level up. As you get more life bars and more empty stock storage for food,weapons,books etc.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...