Creech says "Hi!"

Creech

Okay, so I am not a new member. I even used the old dotcom site a couple of times...but I never seemed to get around to introducing myself.

My name is David Creech (although everyone just calls me Creech) and I have been gaming for more than 30 years. My mom's second husband wrote video games as a hobby (he actually made most of his money designing spy satellites for the US government) and I remember playing custom versions of Pacman and Donkey Kong on a 50" monitor growing up. He even wrote an application to let us design levels for Donkey Kong in a snap. Fun times :).

I spent seven years without electricity or running water after my mom divorced him, living on a farm on the border of Mexico. We raised goats (among other things) since that part of the world is a desert and goats do very well there. Never again without electricity and running water, and never again around goats. :eek:

My first console was a Sega Genesis, but I have owned almost all of them except the Play Station line. Primarily, however, I have been a PC gamer until the 360 came out, although I did play a LOT of Halo 2. I got into multi-player gaming when Doom came out back in the day, and I spent many a night and weekend playing Duke Nuk'em 3D, Command & Conquer, etc. I actually won a couple of racing tournaments that had a hundred or so people in them, and was very active in the San Diego BBS community in the early 90's (I ran a BBS called Dante's Inferno). When Halo 2 came out, I bought two Xbox's and part of my team would come to my house for lunch every day (3 blocks away) and we would spend an hour killing each other. :uzi:

I have been married twice, divorced twice, one kid from each.

My son is a gamer and lives north of Chicago with his mom; his blog is here and his gamer profile can be seen here. I bought him a 360 over spring break last year and while he is a huge fan, he also still has and uses a DS, PS2, original Xbox, and plays occasional PC games.

My girlfriend is a gamer as well (blog, profile). She has her own 360, although since it is on a 32" television we don't use it much. Mine is connected to a 55" HDTV LCD from Sony.

My daughter doesn't talk to me at the moment (she took the divorce pretty hard) and lives in New Hampshire. Hopefully she will progress in her feelings as she gets older and we can rebuild our relationship. She was pretty good at Halo 2 when she wanted to be, but not much interest in other video games.

I do most of my gaming with SundaySpeedtrap (blog, profile). He used to work for me and we are still friends. My son actually dated his daughter for a while (as much as 13 year olds can date). SundaySpeedtrap has a band and some of his stuff you can download on iTunes (search for Chris Eric) if you are into folk music.

Other interests outside of gaming: I read a lot, especially science fiction, historical fiction, military history, science fact, and mysteries. I like math (I did all my homework and tests for calculus in pen.) I am a Life Member in the National Rifle Association and a contributor to The Skeptics Society. I ran for political office about 10-15 years ago (US House of Representatives, got around 2% of the vote) under the Libertarian Party ticket. I am into music, especially hair bands, metal, alternative, and punk, but I listen to almost everything. My favorite bands are Metallica, Savatage, Mötley Crüe, The Offspring, U2, Unwritten Law, Disturbed, and The Dropkick Murphys.

I graduated from college a couple of years ago, going full-time while working full-time, and got a 4.0 GPA and was valedictorian of my class. Sadly, last year my school had horrible financial problems (okay, so they were over a three year period, but it all came to a crux in 2006) and shut down, but us Henry Cogswell College alum are still a pretty cool bunch. Lots of video game programmers graduated from there, as well as Boeing engineers and management types like myself.

I attached a picture of my son in a flight simulator and one of my girlfriend and I at a hockey game (SundaySpeedtrap actually took the photo at the hockey game).

I have written two achievement guides for x360a (Pimp My Ride and Hardwood Hearts) and may do more if the opportunity arises. I also contribute money monthly to the site and encourage any other employed member to do the same. See my tag for that thread and the link to the recurring payment site.

See you all around!

Nice intro fella. Always good to get to know the members in more detail and able to put a face to the tag :)

Hope to see you sticking around and doing what you've been doing and getting involved :D

Yeah, I don't think I have ever been accused of being taciturn and reticent when it comes to talking about myself. LOL!

very nice profile :) I don't think I could have ever lived without power my idea of roughing it is in an RV lol I do like camping just not on the ground :)

One of the cool things about no power is that a lot of my formative years were without television. So rather than sitting and absorbing pop culture, I read a lot of books. A LOT of books. I still find most television unbearable, although when I got my HDTV for the 360, I did find the picture quality helped make up for the predictability of most shows. The one thing I really almost never do is watch live television. I record everything that interests me on my DVR and then skip all the commercials.

My personal library is well over 1,000 titles, roughly half hard cover, including some signed by the authors. There were six of us kids and we would lay a book down on the floor and lay in a circle around it. The last time I measured it, my reading was 800 wpm normally, 600 wpm upside down, both with an 80-90% retention rate. Once I got into the public school system again (hrmmm...did I mention I was home schooled during that period? Anyway, I was) pretty much all of the classes were a breeze because I would read the entire text book in a week or so, and remember virtually all of the important parts. Made homework and tests a breeze. I doubt I am that fast any longer, but I still read very fast and remember most of what I read.

The one "academic" thing I never really got to where I wanted it is my typing speed. My mom is a writer and her typing speed is very high, 150 wpm or so on a bad day. The best I have ever measured myself at was around 60, and I am currently around 35-40...much much much less using the xbox live controller! LOL!

EDIT: Dang I ramble at times!!!!!

"taciturn and reticent" I like this guy more and more with each passing second.

;)

Shakespeare said (in Hamlet? I think so...) "Brevity is the soul of wit" so I guess he would not think me so funny...but I sure enjoy myself. I laugh more than anyone I have ever met, and I have met a LOT of people.

My mom has often told stories about how even as a baby I would let out big, loud belly laughs in my sleep...and I still do today, almost forty years later!

Hello there, long lost nephew! LOL! On the other hand, what is your mom's name? Did she ever party in San Diego about 13-14 years ago? LOL!

Achievement Unlocked - Read 800 wpm.

I shot you and your son some friend requests, so tell him i'm one of the more friendly predators if he asks who I am :)

I usually get more of a reaction to the reading upside down bit. I actually have picked up women by reading upside down in very public places, something of a conversation starter and all. ;)

I accepted your friend request, but my son won't. One of the agreements his mom and I have about Xbox Live is that he only has friends that either she or I have met in person. Plus, he just got grounded from the Xbox due to a horrible report card. Sigh...

• 1 month later...