Update details released!!!

mrsnugglesalot69

Mark Rein, Epic forums:

A Gears of War update should start pushing through the system at some point tomorrow, Tuesday January 9, 2007 prior to the two new multiplayer maps being available on Xbox Live Marketplace on Wednesday January 10, 2007. The maps, plus an introductory video featuring Gears designer Cliff Bleszinski, are free thanks to the kind sponsorship by the Discovery Channel's Future Weapons series which launches next Monday January 15th, 2007. Be sure to check out the show to see some really cool firepower. I expect game designers all across the country will be watching that series very carefully looking for ideas for their future games http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Here is a list of what was addressed in this update:

• Fixed aspect ratio distortion when using VGA cable with 4:3 displays at resolutions higher than 640x480

• Fixed voice issue with new players joining Player Match games in progress

• Players can now get the Achievement for "Dish Best Served Cold" when using Troika turret to kill RAAM

• Fixed rare situation where host could loop countdown and never start match

• Fixed rare situation where players could get stuck after chainsawing in multiplayer

• Reduced Grenade Tag melee distance

• Enabled “Strict” NAT check on host to prevent possible connection issues

• Optimized server browser queries to return results more quickly and prevent scroll bars from hiding quality of service icons

• Reduced number of possible revives in Execution to match Warzone

• Removed host name from Ranked match server browser

• Disabled security cameras in Ranked matches

• Ranked matches now require balanced teams (3v3 or 4v4)

• Increased penalty for quitting a Ranked match to -50 points

• Added additional cheat detection code

• Additional housekeeping updates

Im so glad they are fixing the grenade tagging distance!!:woop: and does the removal of the hosts name mean we cant play ranked games with our friends anymore?:(

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update is both good and bad.

Good:

• Fixed rare situation where host could loop countdown (Had it happen a couple times)

• Reduced Grenade Tag melee distance (Finally)

• Optimized server browser queries to return results more quickly (Will make searching better)

• Increased penalty for quitting a Ranked match to -50 points (Good, but far from enough)

• Added additional cheat detection code (always a good thing)

Bad

• Enabled “Strict” NAT check on host (Could make it harder to host?)

• Disabled security cameras in Ranked matches (I enjoyed watching these)

• Removed host name from Ranked match server browser (Why do all these games try to discourage from playing with friends? I thought that Live was all about making friends and playing games together with them)

• Players can now get the Achievement for "Dish Best Served Cold" when using Troika turret to kill RAAM

^I wondered why I didn't get the achievement the first time through, and now I know

I know everyone is going to complain but I have to agree with th "Removed host name from Ranked match server browser" update. It isn't fair for players who are decent but stuck on a bad team, then on the other side you have a group of experienced players that are all friends. They aren't discouraging playing with friends, just not in ranked. There's always Player matches people.

Now with that said here's the stuff I like...

• Fixed voice issue with new players joining Player Match games in progress (I've had this problem many times)

• Fixed rare situation where host could loop countdown and never start match (Sometimes it isn't the host's fault, I've had this happen to me during my hosting for the achievement and got bad rep because of it.)

• Fixed rare situation where players could get stuck after chainsawing in multiplayer (Haven't had it happen but sucks when it happens to teammates)

• Reduced Grenade Tag melee distance (Another great thing to help stop the winers)

• Reduced number of possible revives in Execution to match Warzone (Not something I completely understand but it sounds good)

• Removed host name from Ranked match server browser (Read above)

• Ranked matches now require balanced teams (3v3 or 4v4) (Finally that'll stop the people from trying to get better chances.)

• Increased penalty for quitting a Ranked match to -50 points (Maybe this will help quitters but most may not care about their score.)

• Added additional cheat detection code (I'm hoping this counts for glitchers, only bad thing is if it happens accidental via Fuel Depot)

Only bad thing I saw was... • Enabled “Strict” NAT check on host to prevent possible connection issues (I can see this hurting people looking for an achievement)

what exactly does "housekeeping" mean? i didnt know gears had a maid :p

It's actually a Berserker. Yes, in a maids outfit. And yes, she looks surprisingly attractive. The update they describe is giving her an updated Dyson® bagless vaccum cleaner and one of those feather duster gimmicks.

Crash; spot on. People will find a way to play with their friends anyway, MS/Epic ought seriously revise their position on this.

Edit:

....There's always Player matches people.

I wouldn't be playing ranked matches if it weren't for the achievements.

It's all about fun factor for me, and i have much more fun playing with friends than with random people that 9 times out of 10 i can't count on, let alone talk to them.

I know everyone is going to complain but I have to agree with th "Removed host name from Ranked match server browser" update. It isn't fair for players who are decent but stuck on a bad team, then on the other side you have a group of experienced players that are all friends. They aren't discouraging playing with friends, just not in ranked. There's always Player matches people.

The only problem with that is that Player matches don't keep track of stats. I mostly play with my team, so by playing ranked I can go into my stats and pretty much tell how we are doing as a team as far as wins/losses for both rounds and matches.

As far as someone who isn't as good getting stuck against a better team.. That is where they would benefit by going with a Halo style party and rank system. That way you are matched up automaticly with people close to your rank and skill. I still don't see why more games haven't done this with how popular it is in Halo 2.

WOW!!! Im like all these improvements. These are great steps to improved the ranked matches and put everyone on even ground. I hated going against committed teams on ranked. I hated host dropping rooms because their buddies werent in the room. I hated quitters. These improvements will help steer people who arent serious or just wanna play with friends to the player matches and those who really just wanna jump on to improve their ranking and achievements to the random ranked matches.

As far as someone who isn't as good getting stuck against a better team.. That is where they would benefit by going with a Halo style party and rank system. That way you are matched up automaticly with people close to your rank and skill. I still don't see why more games haven't done this with how popular it is in Halo 2.

Im glad they didnt do this because I personally learned from playing some of the much betters of how to defeat certain attacks and how to use weapons more effiecient. If it werent for me joining some of the more experienced sometimes and getting my ass handed to me I wouldnt be able to do it now to others.

• Reduced number of possible revives in Execution to match Warzone (Not something I completely understand but it sounds good)

That means you can only be downed 3 times then you automatically die to stop them point obsessed whores who just wait till you get up then beat you down so they can get the points.

YES YES YES!!! Finally...and soooo much stuff fixed, I would have to agree w/ the hiding of the hosts names on ranked matches...I always hated getting stuck on a team where no one would talk and the other team were all friends so they all were chatting up a storm....This is after all a TEAM GAME!!!! also bout time for the gernade tagging(hahahahah XMAS noobs!!) Hopefully the quitting penalty will slow down quitters(although 50pnts really isn't much)

thats it 4 now

Starscream

YES YES YES!!! Finally...and soooo much stuff fixed, I would have to agree w/ the hiding of the hosts names on ranked matches...I always hated getting stuck on a team where no one would talk and the other team were all friends so they all were chatting up a storm....This is after all a TEAM GAME!!!!

So your solution to this conundrum is to cripple the other team so they are just as miserable and non-communicative as the other team? That sounds like a better TEAM GAME to me already... :wtf

Seriously, I am so fucking disappointed in Epic right now. I'm just dumb founded. They had a near perfect game, and they go and completely fuck it up. What a brilliant idea. Fuck it, bring on Halo 3, goddamn it!

I'm pissed that there's still no kind of matchmaking system so that a team can stay together and go from game to game. :mad: I'm pissed with the update because it's removing the hosts name. :mad: And I'm pissed with people who bitch about people playing as a team! :mad: I really don't understand why people get so mad that there's four friends playing ranked matches as a team. I'd like to know why that causes such a problem for people. If you hate playing against people who play as a team because you always get beat because you couldn't count on the other three people on your team, that's no fault of the people playing as a team. The fix for this is to stop bitching about it and find three people that you can play with as a team.

The point is, there's no reason to get mad at people who play as a team just because they have a team to play with, and you get stuck with people who suck. The people playing as a team are not to blame for this!

And to L3gi0n, Graf1k, and Crash: We'll still find each other in the ranked matches and we'll continue to kick ass! (That's if you guys still want to play as a team, because apparently playing as a team is frowned upon by everybody who plays the game!)

So your solution to this conundrum is to cripple the other team so they are just as miserable and non-communicative as the other team? That sounds like a better TEAM GAME to me already... :wtf

Exactly! I tried playing a couple random matches, and all you get is people that quit, steal your kills, don't talk, or speak in a language that you can't understand anyways. Therefore I play with friends.

Also looking at the epic forums, it seems a large number of people think that teams only play together to boost rank, and that by hiding the host it will show your "individual" true skill and that is what the ranking was made for.

What I don't understand is why do you care about "individual" skill when it is a team based game. They might as well made it deathmatch only and took away all team-based gameplay if you can't play with your team.

I seriously have lost a lot of interest in this game now, and I am sure 1000's of others feel the same way. I can see Halo 2 becoming the #1 played game on live once again where you can actually play with your friends/team

I'll tell you what. After the patch, I'll either still play with my friends as a team if possible, or if it isn't, as soon as the MLG and forum tourneys are over, I'm selling my fucking copy of Gears of War.

Even though the host name will be hidden, I still think that we'll all be able to get into the same game.

Seriously, I am so fucking disappointed in Epic right now. I'm just dumb founded. They had a near perfect game, and they go and completely fuck it up. What a brilliant idea. Fuck it, bring on Halo 3, goddamn it!

thats what im f***ing sayin man!!! the only time i ever wanted to play this game anyways was with friends and they just went and killed it all with one false swoop! im only waiting for the new maps to come out, im gonna play just them for about a day or two then im taking gears to gamestop for that deal and im gettin lost planet :drunk

"Removed host name from Ranked match server browser" :eek:

Thats absolute horse shit man!!!!!! What a load of crap!!!

Damn you Epic!!!! :mad:

Way to make a step backwards!!! Rainbow Six then it will be for me I think :eek:

yea they totally messed up an all the fanboys on the epic forums are stuck on there nuts n saying how we all need to suck it up and play player matches

This is making me mad, I really wanted to setup a team or join some games with some forum members on ranked and work as a team. I am hoping playing random matches isn't to be of a headache or I will second webb and be looking at vegas or possible lost planet.

Seriously, FUCK YOU EPIC.

Why in the hell would they remove host names from ranked match servers?! This is the biggest crock of shit I've ever seen. We were supposed to get a matchmaking system, and instead they go the other way and fuck us up the ass. Way to go Epic, you ruined what was the best online multiplayer since Halo 2. I'm one step away from selling my copy and never buying anything from Epic again, FUCK THEM. :mad: