Points in Paint = Missable Achievement!

Lucifer Adams

I think the guide needs changing to state that the Points in Paint achievement (Complete the story with 42,000 points or more) IS missable.

Missable as in there's no way you can go back to alter or boost your score once you have every collectable and have finished the game.

I finished the game with a score of 41785 (215 points short), after collecting ALL the items and using only 2 clues (Y button). It knocks off 250 points for every clue you use.

Crucially, my time reads 785. Now, I've seen a lot of people saying time doesn't matter but I think it does. I took my time and it cost me this achievement (well, that and the 2 clues I used).

Even the author of the guide only just got this achievement without using any clues (by 910 points).

To make matters worse, I started getting bored about midway through and used the Walkthrough to fly through the 2nd half of the levels. So I only took my time on the first half of the game but still didn't get enough points.

So, to sum up: -

1) I'd advise against using clues. At all. If I'd used 1 clue instead of 2, I'd have the achv.

2) Time DOES matter. If you're not using the walkthrough, do what another forum poster said and figure out the level first and BEFORE you finish the level, restart the chapter so you can zoom through it.

3) The game seems to count only your first time per level. Quicker replays don't adjust your time score.

If only one person reads this and saves him/herself a 2nd playthough, then it was worth typing this.

Right, I'm off to play this through. Again.

EDIT: OK, I've just used the Walkthrough for a speedrun and, thankfully I got this achievment as expected.

And I can confirm that Points in Paint only becomes missable if you use clues. Basically, getting all the collectables and finishing the game gives you 42,000 exactly.

But you need MORE than 42,000 so this is where your time comes into it.

On top of the 42,000, you get your time added to your score (the time you have left after each chapter is added to your total).

I ran through this as fast as possible and my time score was 1112. Each clue used takes off 500 so if I'd used 3 clues, I'd miss this achievement and would have to play it again.

So, to sum up: You CAN take your time but DON'T use clues. If you get stuck , refer to the brilliant walkthrough by entrax.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=183193

Edited by Lucifer Adams
Additional Information

I finished the game with a crappy 35,000 points but because I got the achievements for the balloon and boat mini games (finish with over 10k) before I did the final lvl it boosted my final score to around 62k =)

You DONT need to finish the STORY with over 42k as all points from STORY & ALL 3 MINI GAMES count towards your final score.

Ok I just loaded up the game to double check and I was right. My score on 1st run through using around 3clues and NOT gettin ALL bones, tubes or paintings are...

STORY 35214

BALLOON 12150

BOAT 10270

CAR 7500

TOTAL 63134

When the game finished the final scene I was awarded the achievement as I smashed the 42k score it asks for =)

haha I did this on a separate tag and by using this method I got over 70k =) I would assume that you could do the minigames AFTER the story and then just replay the OUTRO so it totals up your entire score.

I went back into the game after I completed it to find 2 TUBES I had missed, played the OUTRO and got the MASTER PAINTER achievement so I guess it works =)

• 1 year later...