I just bought this game!

LilAnalAnnie

And I'm returning it in a few hours. Unless somebody can really convince me to keep it.

I wanted to test my new credit card make sure it works and all that. I go to best buy--see Mortal Kombat on sale for $40. I'm very hesitant on buying it because fighting games infuriate me. I mean seriously, to a point where I've punched holes in walls. I don't hate fighting games--but there is just something about losing to a computer that makes me rage. But I figure that this game has great reviews--lots of people are playing online. SO I pick it up.

I get home and realize they've charged me $60--full price. Well fuck me... lemme go at least check out the achievements before I start playing it. OH WOW 400+ hours of gameplay? Fucking 16 playthroughs? Online achievements that are outrageously fucking hard? Fuck all that.

Going back and returning this piece of shit. Thankfully I kept it sealed and I have the receipt.

And I'm returning it in a few hours. Unless somebody can really convince me to keep it.

I wanted to test my new credit card make sure it works and all that. I go to best buy--see Mortal Kombat on sale for $40. I'm very hesitant on buying it because fighting games infuriate me. I mean seriously, to a point where I've punched holes in walls. I don't hate fighting games--but there is just something about losing to a computer that makes me rage. But I figure that this game has great reviews--lots of people are playing online. SO I pick it up.

I get home and realize they've charged me $60--full price. Well fuck me... lemme go at least check out the achievements before I start playing it. OH WOW 400+ hours of gameplay? Fucking 16 playthroughs? Online achievements that are outrageously fucking hard? Fuck all that.

Going back and returning this piece of shit. Thankfully I kept it sealed and I have the receipt.

You bought the game, haven't even opened it, and decided it was shit. Cool.

Oh and you say you don't like fighting games, then get pissed that the game's achievements require some skill. Fabulous.

16 "playthroughs" is 16 runs on the Ladder (MK's arcade mode). Almost all arcade fighters make you run through their arcade mode with every character for an achievement. 16 isn't bad in comparison actually, Super Street Fighter has almost 35 iirc.

400+ hours for 1K isn't pure play time, you idle a massive chunk of that if you're really concerned about the achievement.

Sorry, if all you're concerned about is easy gamerscore, take the game back and get some Family Hits games.

===

That said, I'm not a completionist and say there's more to a game than its achievement list and how easy it is to 1K. Mortal Kombat is an awesome game, packed full of content and a killer story mode. I'm not fond of fighting games either but this game is fantastic and easy to pick up and play.

I would definitely advise going back regardless. Not just for the discount price, but also because Best Buy is having a buy 2 get 1 free deal on all of their video games. If you're interested in anything else now's the time to jump.

Edited by Veedrock

Mate you cant judge a game based on its achievements! Anyway the whole point of achievements are exactly what it says .. to ACHIEVE something! If you want respect from gamers for having a high gamerscore then theyll jus look at your games list and see all the easy games youve done ... At least with MK there will be achievements you can be proud of.

But if you're not big on fighting games why buy MK in the first place? MK is one of the most infuriating fighting game series there is!

You bought the game, haven't even opened it, and decided it was shit. Cool.

Oh and you say you don't like fighting games, then get pissed that the game's achievements require some skill. Fabulous.

16 "playthroughs" is 16 runs on the Ladder (MK's arcade mode). Almost all arcade fighters make you run through their arcade mode with every character for an achievement. 16 isn't bad in comparison actually, Super Street Fighter has almost 35 iirc.

400+ hours for 1K isn't pure play time, you idle a massive chunk of that if you're really concerned about the achievement.

Sorry, if all you're concerned about is easy gamerscore, take the game back and get some Family Hits games.

===

That said, I'm not a completionist and say there's more to a game than its achievement list and how easy it is to 1K. Mortal Kombat is an awesome game, packed full of content and a killer story mode. I'm not fond of fighting games either but this game is fantastic and easy to pick up and play.

I would definitely advise going back regardless. Not just for the discount price, but also because Best Buy is having a buy 2 get 1 free deal on all of their video games. If you're interested in anything else now's the time to jump.

I understand what your point is. However, you've mistaken me. I'm not all about easy achievements. It's timed based and online achievements in addition to being a fighting game. Dude I haven't put 400+ hours into a video game since Oblivion. I know for a fact I wouldn't complete this game. I don't wanna just leave my xbox on to idle for 24 hours... that isn't skill--that's idiocy. None of these achievements have any skill to them, there all achievements in which one must invest 100 of hours of time. So tell me why I should spend my money on a game i know i'm not going to complete?

To be honest I'll just get this game through gamefly. I'll play through the story once. Get a few achievements adn send it back. No big deal.

Take it back, MK isn't for pussies.

Back to Halo for you.

lol plymsol

You have a 16080 gamerscore.

I have a 80085 gamerscore.

I also noticed in Mortal Kombat you haven't even gained the mastery of 1 fighter. NOT EVEN 1 FIGHTER! Dude, I really can't respect you. You are beneath me as a gamer in every way possible. You have all the easy achievements and none of the hard ones.

Also take a look at my games bro. No disney--no pixar----no halo--no family games.

GT = Anniegoesrawr

Edited by Method

Thanks Method. :p I was just about to tell him to use the Edit Button.

On Topic:

MK is a good a game REGARDLESS of the Achievements. The Online Achievements honestly aren't bad at all. The Achievement that takes the Most work is My Kung Fu is Stronger. The only part you're idling your Xbox at is the 24 Hours of Played time with each Character. You obviously have to be there to complete the stats for the others (100 Victories and -Alities, 150 X Rays, and 10,000 Pints of Blood Spilled.)

I just got my 1000 for this game yesterday, but I actually enjoyed doing it. I'm regularly playing the Online as well. I love doing the Ranked Fights. The 10 Ranked Wins in a Row (The Online Achievement everyone bitches about...) was actually my 3rd Online Achievement. It's seriously not that bad.

If you don't like being beaten by the CPU though, then yeah... You might want to just return this game then. You WILL be beat by the CPU ALOT. Especially going through Story Mode and Challenge Tower.

I also noticed in Mortal Kombat you haven't even gained the mastery of 1 fighter. NOT EVEN 1 FIGHTER! Dude, I really can't respect you. You are beneath me as a gamer in every way possible. You have all the easy achievements and none of the hard ones.

I havent either... but I dont really care as I enjoyed the story mode and like to just pull it out and kill the comp a few times. I could care less about mastering 1 fighter.

The achievements dont make the game less fun. I think it comes down to do you like fighting games. Youve said no. As such Id return it. But if it were me id just challenge the price as it seems they over charged you. But i like fighting games and I rarely 1000k a game.

lol plymsol

Also take a look at my games bro. No disney--no pixar----no halo--no family games.

GT = Anniegoesrawr

Wow, you are amazing. Dude.

GT = Anniegoesrawr

I'll bet 1600MSP that you won't get a game on Plym in MK. Gaining Mastery for fighters means how long you can leave your Xbox on, has NOTHING to do with skill. Trust me.

I lol'd about bragging about Achievements. Isn't that more for a personal collection or for someone to be like "Oh wow, how'd he get that?" Don't people with very high gamerscore get ridiculed for the time you invest in it?

@ayx

No clue what you're talking about. You basically just restated the entire point of my post. I'm not going to play the game because the achievements are long and boring. They aren't achievements that measure skill or show that you've done something amazing in the game. MK achievements show that you know how to leave your xbox360 on idle.

And as stated before, I don't like fighting games. I wouldn't be good online. I'd rage/quit. As for why I am comparing plym and my achievements: because he called me a pussy and told me to go play Halo-- therefore I took offense to him. I let him know that he is nothing compared to me and I'd wipe the floor with him in virtually any game, minus MK and the fighting game genre.

And please, I know where this is going... I am aware others have better gamerscores than I. However I have a full time job and I can't play 8 to 12 hours a day.

I havent either... but I dont really care as I enjoyed the story mode and like to just pull it out and kill the comp a few times. I could care less about mastering 1 fighter.

The achievements dont make the game less fun. I think it comes down to do you like fighting games. Youve said no. As such Id return it. But if it were me id just challenge the price as it seems they over charged you. But i like fighting games and I rarely 1000k a game.

hey dude. you make a really good point. In all seriousness, you are right, it does come down to whether I like fighting games or not. I do not like fighting games but I try to keep an open mind. If a game comes out and gets amazing reviews and the community of people playing it enjoy it then I might want to try it.

I've played some amazing games that aren't necessarily my cup of tea and enjoyed them immensely just based off some user review or critique. However, if i'm on the fence about a game I may not enjoy; the achievements may become a deal breaker--not what I actually base my purchase on.

Well you have been a member since 2009 and should really know by now that people really could care less what you play or try to justify a reason for you to play it. Take it back, save everyone the argument as you're not going to get any supporters here.

yeah isn't that why one might say something dislikable? To gauge reactions? To understand things from another perspective? I wasn't looking for supporters dude. Call me a troll if you like but with each and every single post I got a different perspective and insight into some actual human values--this is what i want to understand.

So now i know something about you. And you know something about me.

I play games for achievements, fighting games, at least 7 or 8 family games, halo games, call of booty games and care not what people think buuuttt, to call MK a piece of shit is ridiculous. The achievements are hard to a degree but enjoy the game for what it is, prolly one of the best fighting games to date and will be played for years to come im sure.

I like turtles

@ayx

No clue what you're talking about. You basically just restated the entire point of my post. I'm not going to play the game because the achievements are long and boring. They aren't achievements that measure skill or show that you've done something amazing in the game. MK achievements show that you know how to leave your xbox360 on idle.

rather unfair. thats only 2achievements. And that is only if you use that method.

I wouldn't have bought it at all if I didn't like fighting games, so I'd suggest taking it back personally.

That said, I play it on several of my friends' PS3s in order to avoid the achievements getting on my card, and I rented the title on 360 to practice whilst I'm not at their houses- I have every offline achievement other than the mastery achievements and the lady luck achievement (which I imagine I'll get today, seeing as it isn't difficult) and it really wasn't challenging. If you're not looking for the full 1000g, you should still be able to get a decent chunk of the achievements without much fuss at all:

-16 playthroughs takes just 1.5 hours if you're playing on beginner difficulty/30 second rounds/one round wins, I knocked them out whilst watching Braveheart on my laptop.

-The challenge tower only had two challenges that took me more than five minutes to do (granted, I play a lot of fighting games) and the final challenge in the tower has the AI become easier the more times you lose to it, further increasing your chances of passing.

-3 of the secret fighter achievements can be done on the first stage of arcade mode if you have the patience to reload until you get the correct first stage, and the final secret character and max difficulty achievement can both be worked around thanks to a flaw in the AI.

I imagine some of the online achievements will be a bit harder (mainly ten ranked wins in a row, and the comeback from 10% health in ranked) due to boosting being difficult to set up in this game, but I really don't think they're that fearsome. If if wasn't for the mastery achievements I'd have bought the game instead of rented and mopped everything up with an expected 7/10 difficulty.

Edited by Didi Mau

• 2 weeks later...

Don't take back an unopened game due to gamerscore...

Mortal Kombat is an amazing game, great story, cool challenge tower and so much to unlock and discover.

I admit the 400+ hours is a bit steep but hey achievements are called that for a reason, they represent something you've achieved.

I can be quite an achievement whore myself but I won't let it put me off a game. Besides MK9 is that amazing I'll more than likely go for the 400+ hours purely for game enjoyment and not gamerscore.

Like others have said if you don't like fighting games then don't bother lol, I see beat em ups as an aquired taste, there not for everyone.

One last thing, I get infuriated a lot with fighting games but I just persevere and get better each time haha.

-The challenge tower only had two challenges that took me more than five minutes to do (granted, I play a lot of fighting games) but the more you fail a challenge in the tower the easier the AI becomes, increasing your chances of passing.

Just wanted to point out this little bit... The only challenge that gets easier as you fail and retry is Mission 300. The other 299 DO NOT get easier.

There are two kind of achievement hunters.

Achievement Hunters who try to get as many Games as they can only to push up their Gamerscores,

and Perfectionists/Completionist who complete every fucking game to the maximum.

Mortal Kombat is more for the Completionist ,so this is the hard way ,but if you make it to 1000Gs you will feel fucking epicness.

And fuck yeah i know what im talking about.

I don`t know where the problem is ,there is no Achievement where you have to be "Ranked 1" in the leaderboards ,so you are able to get every achievement.

Mortal Kombat is not hard ,its pretty easy ,there are just maybe 3 or 4 hard challenges in the Challenge Tower and playing with all the characters 24 hours is a pain in the ass ,but if you can bring it to 1000 ,will make you feell really good.

And its not 400 hours ,its much more.

So the point is: NOT hard ,but fucking time consuming , Mortal Kombat is definately worth the buy ,because its the most badass fighting game you can ever play ( i said not the best but the most badass ,because of the pure brutality in the game )

Lol brutality...FATALITY :D :D :D you gotta love that "piece of shit" like you said.

Anyways your opinion bro. ;)