Keep losing my save game data

Hellhog

I think the safest thing to do is to make a copy of you save file somewhere else on your PC after each time you play. I think that the game sometimes overwrites your save when you open the game and you lose all you stuff. That way, if it happens you can delete the 'new' save file and paste in the real one.

• 2 weeks later...

I have no-idea what half of you are on about here!!

I thought id try out the GFWL service and tinker was 1st as its free!

WHY is there no save option on the game??

Whenever I put the game back on its like I never played the bloody thing!!!!! How do you SAVE and how do you RELOAD the save once you comeback to the game a day later?? Really pisses me off all this fannyin about....

Waldo's even worse as it doesnt even load and crashes so there's a waste of 600msp and all MS say is "uninstall and reinstallin it" but you can only do that so many times b4 the DRM runs out - the whole service needs lookin at pronto!

• 3 weeks later...
It happens with me too, i got my save file erased after complete everthing, but the glitched level 19-set 7, i was just waiting for the patch to finish this damn thing and now ill need to play all the f*** lvls again.

That sux dude ! Just happened to me after the first 18lvls, think it may have been a windows update i did last night. Gonna try a system restore but not hoping for much, time to start backing up my saves i think.

Whenever I put the game back on its like I never played the bloody thing!!!!! How do you SAVE and how do you RELOAD the save once you comeback to the game a day later?? Really pisses me off all this fannyin about....

Waldo's even worse as it doesnt even load and crashes so there's a waste of 600msp and all MS say is "uninstall and reinstallin it" but you can only do that so many times b4 the DRM runs out - the whole service needs lookin at pronto!

same here bud must have wasted 5/6 hrs trying eveything but to no avail

really pi**ed me off given up now and moved on with my life no point hoping ms will be able to help thats 4 sure

same here bud must have wasted 5/6 hrs trying eveything but to no avail

really pi**ed me off given up now and moved on with my life no point hoping ms will be able to help thats 4 sure

Quote:

Originally Posted by zinadine76 http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/images/X360A/buttons/viewpost.gif

I'm not really sure how you guys are losing your game saves. What version of Windows are you using? Tinker saves automatically, so you don't need to worry about saving and reloading your game. It is also important to understand that you need to use the same Windows username each time, since the save file is found in the "My Documents" directory. So if you are using a community computer that has multiple accounts (ex: you and say a roommate) you need to use only your log in. The save also requires you to be logged into your Live account (not sure if you also need to be online) while playing Tinker, since the save is associated with your gamertag. In fact, your gamertag will be part of the name of the save file. Should be 584109eb_YourGamerTag.sav So if you see this "random" file on your hard drive, try to refrain from deleting it.

I highly doubt the game itself is deleting or overwriting your existing saves. That would be a problem in the coding of the game itself and effect everyone not just a select handful. But by all means create a backup of the save file, if it will make you feel better.

So for those people having problems; Windows, your firewall, or even your log in's user privileges may be the culprit. First and most important, check and make sure that after you play and close Tinker that a save file is in fact being made. If not then something may be blocking the file-write privileges of the game. You might need to try running Tinker.exe as administrator.

Also someone above mentioned that defragging your hard drive will ruin your gamesave. Well that is simple not true. Disk defragment moves where the bit data of files are stored at on the harddrive into a more organized sequential order, to reduce arm movement of the harddrive. It does NOT change the data of a file. Therefore the file remains identical and usable.

BTW, while we are on the subject of defragging your harddrive. To the guy who does it once a week. That is overkill, unless you download and more importantly delete files constantly in large amounts. Once a month or even less is more then sufficient.

I understand this is not the be all; end all of save problems for Tinker, but hopefully it will shed some light and help and a few of you. If you have and specific questions, feel free to ask.

PS: If you don't my grammar, well roflcockslap cause I don't care.

Edited by digitalink

Quote:

Originally Posted by zinadine76 http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/images/X360A/buttons/viewpost.gif

I'm not really sure how you guys are losing your game saves. What version of Windows are you using? Tinker saves automatically, so you don't need to worry about saving and reloading your game. It is also important to understand that you need to use the same Windows username each time, since the save file is found in the "My Documents" directory. So if you are using a community computer that has multiple accounts (ex: you and say a roommate) you need to use only your log in. The save also requires you to be logged into your Live account (not sure if you also need to be online) while playing Tinker, since the save is associated with your gamertag. In fact, your gamertag will be part of the name of the save file. Should be 584109eb_YourGamerTag.sav So if you see this "random" file on your hard drive, try to refrain from deleting it.

I highly doubt the game itself is deleting or overwriting your existing saves. That would be a problem in the coding of the game itself and effect everyone not just a select handful. But by all means create a backup of the save file, if it will make you feel better.

So for those people having problems; Windows, your firewall, or even your log in's user privileges may be the culprit. First and most important, check and make sure that after you play and close Tinker that a save file is in fact being made. If not then something may be blocking the file-write privileges of the game. You might need to try running Tinker.exe as administrator.

Also someone above mentioned that defragging your hard drive will ruin your gamesave. Well that is simple not true. Disk defragment moves where the bit data of files are stored at on the harddrive into a more organized sequential order, to reduce arm movement of the harddrive. It does NOT change the data of a file. Therefore the file remains identical and usable.

BTW, while we are on the subject of defragging your harddrive. To the guy who does it once a week. That is overkill, unless you download and more importantly delete files constantly in large amounts. Once a month or even less is more then sufficient.

I understand this is not the be all; end all of save problems for Tinker, but hopefully it will shed some light and help and a few of you. If you have and specific questions, feel free to ask.

PS: If you don't my grammar, well roflcockslap cause I don't care.

Thanks digitalink for trying to help out but alas i have aready tried all those options plus trying to run it in xp compatablily mode as to the save game file being 584109eb_YourGamerTag.sav well yes your right but there is the hart of the problem there is no file called this i only have a folder named 584109eb which contains a config.bin file thats it tinker is not creating the 584109eb_YourGamerTag.sav in the first place and you can be sure i have searched manualy through all my files and the window files and nope nowhere to be found !

microsoft are helpful up to this point then just blame it on our pc set-up and thats all you get from them and that may well be the case but its their os i am using and yes it has problems at the moment i cannot install a important IE update when i try it fails then tells me i already have a newer version already installed, its a glitch not of my doing though

I think there are quite a number of people with this problem you would maybe think they would update tinker with a fix for this like ooh i dunno off the top of my head say a manual save option into the game surely this cannot be that difficult for the mighty microsoft corp to achieve ooh yes no profit involed in that is there!!!!

It really is a shame that asking Microsoft for help is about as effective as pissing into the wind. Unfortunately because there are so many variables, it really is hard to diagnose your problem. It's odd that its creating a directory instead of the *.sav file.

By chance is your "My Documents" mapped to a different drive other then the default C:/? If so you may need remap your documents folder back to what the default would be.

I also wonder if you were to run Tinker on another computer and take the created save from that computer and import it to yours. This way if the save file was manually placed where it should be Tinker might be able to interact with it.

I know I'm grasping out threads here, but it's worth a shot.

Microsoft has really shaken my confidence in there products. Sure Tinker is free, but the other broken products they have endorsed are not. I understand implementing solutions can take time, but they won't even acknowledge there is a problem. It's like trying to get blood from a stone. I think it's safe to say any pc gaming I do will be done with Steam.

update: the system restore didnt help :( thanks for the suggestions digital link, but have ruled them all out ( except for moving the save file to another pc) its only happened to me once, but will be making copies of the save file from now on. is "my documents" not a bit of a stoopid place for any program to save files anyway, whatever happened to c:\program files...?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have finished this game up untill the glitched set 7 lvl 19 using Vista, but now I have changed to Windows7 (running both Vista and W7 on the same laptop) and I had to redownload Tinker using W7 and now I have to start all over again. I was wondering if it is possible to locate the save file in Vista and copy it to my windows7 documents, but I can't seem to find the damn file! I have already tried searching all drives for 584109eb_ but no luck. Any ideas?

EDIT:

ahh nvm, it seems I also lost my vista savefile due to creating a new partition... :(

Edited by Klister NL

• 2 weeks later...
possible to locate the save file in Vista and copy it to my windows7 documents, but I can't seem to find the damn file! I have already tried searching all drives for 584109eb_ but no luck. Any ideas?

EDIT:

ahh nvm, it seems I also lost my vista savefile due to creating a new partition... :(

Yep that would do it gone for good for sure :uzi:

wow, maybe its the way you guyz installed the game? maybe you installed it to a folder it didnt belong? or someone screwd you when you tried to cheat?(not saying you did) or maybe it glitched and didnt give you the auto save or someone signed into your profile on your xbox and you lost all saved levels?

I for one have not had any problems on this game so far besides my comp lag (ping) in some levels forcing my robot to move slower then the vids and still making the timer tick normal....

• 3 weeks later...

Also If You've Changed Your Gamertag You Need To Rename Your Save File Like This

584109eb_Ashley B Sivorn.sav to 584109eb_AshleyBazSivorn.sav

Also Would I Be Able To Use Someone Elses Save & Just Rename It To My Gamertag?

Send Me A Private Messege If You Want To Try This Out & I'll Give You My Email To Send The Save File

• 2 weeks later...