how many of you create characters of the oppisite sex

Fozki Razormaid

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9000 posts lol

Relax, no need to be antagonistic. Welcome to the site. As for me, I always end up playing male characters and try to make them look like me (with the exception of Mass Effect since the default Commander Shepard was the face of the series) because I like to think of them as an extension of me. All of the choices and options I make are supposed to be a virtual representation of me. I become a lot more immersed and invested that way. That's not to say I don't enjoy playing games where the female is the default lead (Tomb Raider, Mirror's Edge and Beyond Good and Evil immediately come to mind).

The only time I could think was in Saints Row 2 + 3. Saints Row 3 was fun to run around as a girl with a dildo beating everyone up. It just looks weird with a guy lol. Other than that I tend to keep to my gender.

I totally agree with this. I never make a female character but I did in Saints Row 3. And good times were had by all.

Given the chance, I will ALWAYS pick a female character. Partly because of some of the reasons that others have stated, such as it's simply more pleasant to stare at the back of a female than a male for the duration of the game and, on a slightly less superficial note, I just really like the idea of strong female characters.

• 1 month later...

I've done both, but when given the choice I tend to start with a male character. On the second playthrough is when I would try out a female character. Fun to see the little differences in the story details when playing the opposite sex.

As far back as fighters on Genesis, or Jill and Claire in Resident Evil/2, I've always preferred female characters. If I have to choose (for some reason) between a great male only led game, or a merely decent female led game, I'll choose the latter in most cases. I can't think of any male led game I wouldn't like more if I could play as a female. It effects my enjoyment as much as any other single feature I can think of.

If I ran the industry, it would be a requirement to either have a default male/female choice or a character creator. Would be right up there with forbidding multiplayer achievements.

Never. Mass Effect, Fallout 3, etc. I'm a guy, I want to play as a guy. I feel more connected to the world. Not against playing as a female character, it's more like I just don't want to.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I just think of the games I grew up playing, where there was no choice. Could you imagine a female Mario or Link? (Well, that Link/Zelda thing would have been pretty fucking progressive if Link was female.) I'm a dude, I play as dudes, and in games like Mass Effect where you can try to get with the opposite sex, I'd feel a bit weird being a female hitting on a dude and being like "YEAH! I totally got Garrus to sleep with me!"