My route to 1000

rekikire

So I've finally completed Game Room and I thought I'd list the games that I played and some comments on each. I'll list the name, then the medals in order G for gold S for silver B for bronze and O for no medal.

Purchased

Asteroids - GSB - Bought this after buying Asteroids Deluxe, I preferred the hyperspace to the shield. Easy game for high score, surviving was a little hard, and the time spender is waaay too long.

Asteroids Deluxe - SSB - First game I bought only to find that I didn't like the shield, doesn't really help much.

Centipede - SSG - a fun game, hard to play without the trackball but enjoyable nevertheless.

Devastators - SSS - had fun with this, a different sort of game, having a time limit forces you to move.

Gyruss - SGS - Enjoyed playing this when I was a kid, I was a lot better at it back then. Time spender is long

Kitten Kaboodle - BSS - bought this because it looked interesting, couldn't really work out a good tactic, but this was the game that kicked me over the 380 points.

Ping Pong - OGG - Played the demo on level 1 and it looked easy, I then bought it, played the rest of the time and was never able to beat the computer on level 2, very frustrating game had me putting the controller down and walking away a few times so I didn't throw it through the TV. Not recommended.

Laser Blast - GGG - Could never work out a good tactic in the demo so I bought this so it wouldn't defeat me. Eventually worked out the tactic. Stay at the top left of the screen when the enemies are coming on, as soon as the screen stops scrolling move right. As soon as a shot is fired move over the right hand enemy and shoot straight down, as soon as you do this move left, keep moving left until another shot is fired, then position and kill the left hand enemy. Immediately move to the right, as soon as the last shot is fired position yourself above the last enemy and shoot. Then move to the left hand side of the screen to start it all again. If you miss a shot, don't stick around to take another one, move, you only have 2-3 seconds between being fired at. Should be an easy game for a couple of golds and a time spender medal following those tactics.

Lunar Lander - GGG - Bought this because it is fun, pick your landing spot, position above it, thrust to reduce your speed and land safely.

Missing in Action - BGG - Fun game, havne't played too many platformers so this was a challenge.

Pitfall - GGG - Bought this because I couldn't get past the crocodiles in the demo and I couldn't let it defeat me. Here's the crocodile tactic, wait till the mouth is closing then jump on the croc and immediately move and stand on the head, wait for the mouth to open and start to close, jump on the next croc and move onto the head again, when the last mouth closes jump on and immediately jump off.

Rack 'Em Up - GGG - loved playing this when I was a kid, to play it well you need to learn the angles. The high score is sink %, so to get the gold, 3/4 of your shots need to sink a ball. Sinking multiple balls with one shot is great if you can do it.

Red Baron - GSG - To do well it's all about learning the spawns, and trying to avoid being shot at, not an easy game for triple gold.

River Raid - BGO - strange that surviving is so easy but the high score is so hard, not a recommended game.

Road Fighter - BSS - Fun game, but I found the controls difficult, first level is easy, second is harder, third is impossible.

Scooter Shooter - GSG - getting through the level is easy, defeating the computer is hard, fun game.

Scramble - GSG - fun game, enjoyed playing it, not that good at it though.

Space Duel - BSG - very hard game, after the first couple of levels I found it impossible, too many things floating around the screen, two enemy ships with a string of bullets between them. Tried hard but didn't do well.

Thunder Castle - GGG - I love RPG games, so this was a lot of fun, old school hack and slash. Easy triple gold.

Time Pilot - SGG - another game from my youth that I was really good at when I was younger, or maybe my memory is faulty. Fun game.

Tower of Doom - GGG - I bought this to see how hard the later levels actually are, easy triple gold, don't kill the first dragon, avoid it and just pick up the loot when it spawns. Don't pick up the comb.

Video Hustler - GGG - Like Rack Em Up, you just need to be able to read the angles and it's an easy triple gold.

Single Plays

Astrosmash - OSO - Not as easy as it first appears, just couldn't keep up later on in the game without dying.

Buzz Bombers - GGO - Easy golds, kill the bees, wait for the bird to eat the honey, don't kill the last bee until the bird has eaten most of the honey on the screen before you move to the next level. Don't let the last bee block you in though.

Chopper Command - BGO - survivor is easy, just keep moving left slowly so that you don't die. If you move too far to the left you may get hit accidentally.

Circus Atari - OGO - easy gold survivor, just keep moving left and right and don't hit A to star the game. You need to hit the stick at least once per minute for the game to not time out.

City Bomber - BBO - I wish I'd found this video prior to playing, shows a good tactic for a lot of points [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSLZxxr_4HU]YouTube - C.A.D.E.R.S. Game Room challenge week 16 City Bomber (arcade) winner[/ame]

Crystal Castles - GOO - as with other threads, head to the back of the castle, hit up and jump to warp up a few levels and get the Gold instantly

Finalizer - BBO - Got a bit unlucky and didn't get more medals in this one.

Gravitar - GGG - Easy triple gold, as posted in another thread orbit around the sun and keep shooting left.

H.E.R.O. - BBO - Easy to get more medals in a single play if you do some research ahead of time to get to know the maps, there are videos out that can help.

Night Stalker - OGO - Easy survival, don't leave the cage.

Pinball - BGG - Easy triple medal, at least once a minute pull down on the plunger and let go or hit a flipper. If you do this the game won't time out, once you have the time spender, play some and try and get a score.

River Raid II - OGG - Easy dual gold, at least once a minute hit the a button to stop the game from timing out and don't leave the carrier.

Super Breakout Atari - OGG - Easy dual gold, at least once a minute move the stick to the right or the left to stop the game from timing out. The game is impossible to play.

Super Breakout Arcade - OGG - Easy dual gold, same as the Atari version.

Video Pinball - OGS - Stuffed up and missed out on time spender gold, same as the other pinball, just hit a flipper, or pull the plunge once a minute to stop the game from timing out.

Yar's Revenge - BGO - As discussed in another thread, just stay in the safe zone avoiding the swirly shots at you for 9 minutes.

All of this got me 16 bronze, 21 silver and 57 gold medals. All up it took 44 hours over 2 weeks and 5920 points to buy everything.

If you want to come check out my arcade send me a message and drop a friend request.

Here's my list so far:

Total medals: 20 point buster, 21 survivalist, 15 time spender.

Current Level: 17

Points spent: Approx. 3200 ($40)

Astrosmash: 2 single play purchases (80 Points) -- GGB. An easy game. Wasn't able to last long enough to get the time spender medal in one play, so I bought a second one. The Survivalist and Point buster medals are easy as hell.

Buzz Bombers: Single Play (40 Points) -- GGB. Again, another easy game. See above for description.

Centipede (atari 2600) -- I've got 5th place on the leaderboards on this game. Bought it because me and my buddies used to have a blast with this when we were kids. (240 Points). Easy GGG if you purchase it.

Centipede (Arcade) -- single play purchase (40 points). Just wanted to see how well I could do on the arcade version without a trackball. GSx.

Crystal Castles -- Bought for 240 points. This was another favorite of mine from my childhood. If you're half decent, you could get triple gold easily. But if you're not, you still could use the hideaway trick to get triple gold if you can make it that far. GGG here.

Detana Twinbee -- Should have just bought it, as I spent about 200 points anyway on single playthroughs before giving up. Ended up with SGB.

Dolphin -- 2 single playthroughs. Wasn't satisfied with just double silver. Ended up with GGx. (80 points)

Frostbite -- Bought 2 single playthroughs, knew I could get GGG with some practice, so I bought the game outright. (320 points)

Jungler -- Bought 2 playthroughs. Thought I had the grasp of the game the first time, but didn't. Ended up with GGx on my second playthrough. (80 points)

Keystone Kapers -- 2 playthroughs. Ended up with BGx. Bought the 2nd playthrough thinking I could improve my score and ended up doing worse the second time. Wasn't interested enough to try a third. (80 points)

Kitten Kaboodle -- Single Playthrough. Very easy game. GBx. (40 points)

Laser Blast. I must've fucked up something because it only counted the first hour even though I played the full 90 minutes. Barring a glitch, a retarded chimpanzee could get GGG in a single playthrough. I didn't bother paying another 40 points to upgrade from silver to gold. GGS.

Missing in action -- Single Playthrough (40 points). BBx.

Pitfall/Pitfall II -- 2 atari 2600 classics and old favorites that I bought outright. GGG on Pitfall, and there's the single Time Spender medal that I got G on Pitfall 2 (total of 480 points)

Pooyen -- Another simple game that you can easily go GGx in a single playthrough, which is what I did. (40 points)

Pressure Cooker -- Avoid this like the plague. Thought it was easier than it was. Lucky to have gotten xBx on my single playthrough (40 points.)

Reversi -- I don't know why I bought this waste of time. Must've been drunk. Got the timespender medal, though. (240 points)

Seaquest -- Another simple game that you should be able to go at least GGB in 2 playthroughs. (80 points).

Spider Fighter -- After a couple of playthroughs, got frustrated because I wasn't getting the scores I knew I was capable of. Bought it outright, and eventually went GGG (360 points)

Thunder castle -- A very simple RPG that anyone should be able to triple medal in in one playthrough. BGB (40 points)

Time Pilot -- Arcade classic and another old favorite. GGG (240 points)

Twinbee -- Tried it just to see how it was. The Detana version is better. xBx (40 points)

Yars' Revenge -- Kept getting hit by the swirly shots because I wasn't paying attention. After about 3 playthroughs, went SGG (120 points).

Here's my list so far:

Total medals: 20 point buster, 21 survivalist, 15 time spender.

Current Level: 17

Points spent: Approx. 3200 ($40)

SGG (120 points).

wow u done well bud with only 3200msp spent

i would say that pretty good going

i've perchased 24 games at a cost of 5750msp =£57 approx?

Total medals: Gold-42 silver-16 bronze-13

Current Level: 15

cant be brothered to list all my games except to say i only stuck with the arcade versions

ie; konami & atari NOT the console games from atari or intellivision

i've said it before i thought those console games were bad then & still bad now coun'nlt play them for any lenght of time thats just me personally

and i'm not sure if i will ever hit level 20 but i do enjoi the games i have -played and still playing trying to get those last medals

but have to admit that some games i have given up on as i am just never going to be able to get those gold medals i think thats why its cost me so many msp but if i've enjoied playing msp not wasted and a few medal point gained

overall i have enjoin the game room experiance and still am

good luck to all u that want the 1000gs

Edited by RazerindemiX

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tips rekikire. Currently working on Single plays now following different the methods people have used. Do not want to purchase any more games (have 10 ranked and 5 unranked). have sent request too.

Just a couple of helpers: I know its mentioned but you can easily get Time Spender on any machine with a Turbo controller. Just have it rapidly hit button (can use rubber band too to hold it down) and let it do its thing....Also, Tutankham you can get easy Gold on Survival and Time Spender if you sit at bottom of screen on right hand side of 1st level (theres youtube videos showing). I mainly use the x360a thread Easy Single Play Medals, and now this one (thanks again!), along with youtube vids. have fun everyone and good luck with your medal hunt

• 2 weeks later...

I was curious if anyone knows the cheapest route i guess. I dont appreciate having one achievement in the game room and them microsoft making me buy arcade games to fill up to finish it off. I guess in the end though following some of your routes 3200 ms points ($40) is a gently used game anyway right?! so should i suck it up or leave it at 5 gs?

I got to level 20 yesterday, so here's the path I took -

[edit - almost done!]

My path:

Asteroids [2600] (GGB) - Simple, simple game. If you can time the shots on the small ships that appear, you never even need to move up or down, you can just stay in the center and rotate to shoot the rocks. No patience to get beyond the bronze Time Spender, though.

Chopper Command (GGG) - Easiest way I found to get the Time Spender was to kill every enemy on the first level except for one white helicopter, fly past it to the right, then wait for the screen to scroll until it looped. Took forever, but it worked.

H.E.R.O. (GGG) - Loved this back on the old Commodore 64, but I feel like the flight control doesn't work as well here. I still got enough points to earn the gold, though.

Keystone Capers (GGG) - To get the Time Spender, I just started a new game and jumped in place every few seconds until time ran out, while I watched videos on my phone.

Pitfall! (GGG) - Time Spender felt like it took forever, I killed time trying to get the maximum score, only to be at the LAST treasure with 0:02 on the clock and didn't get there in time. Grr...

River Raid (GGB) - You know, I really remember liking this game when it was new, but it felt less fun now. Even grinding out the bronze Time Spender was harsh to me.

Seaquest (GGG) - This is a pretty fun game. Seems less "cheap" than some of the other Activision shooting games of the era.

Video Pinball (GGS) - This is possibly the worst pinball game I've played. It seems like the flippers are just there for decoration, and they want you to tilt the machine instead, but then you get penalized for doing so. Got the silver Time Spender just trying to get the gold Point Buster. Then I saw the gold Time Spender would've required like another hour, and said forget it!

Yar's Revenge (GGG) - One of the easier triple golds, as everyone seems to say.

Intellivision

Astrosmash (GGG) - Listened to a podcast while playing this, but after hitting the 40k for the gold Point Buster, I ran into stuff to end my run. Did a few more runs for the Time Spender, luckily with the autoshoot, you can just warp around the screen instead of actually playing...

Pinball [iNTV] - (SGS) - This game sure likes to make you lose balls on the right side of the screen. Kept trying to sort out making it to the third board, but just getting to the second one was a chore, so I threw in the towel. I'll stick to actual pinball, or Pinball FX.

Shark! Shark! (GGB) - Died with 14800 points on my first game and got all pissed over it. Sat down and got the gold Point Buster (15000) and then that was enough Shark! Shark! for me.

Atari Arcade

Black Widow - (GGS) - This is a cool game, I like it. Until you get to those bastard fly things that explode, then it's less fun.

Centipede (GGG) - Easy as pie, and a short Time Spender, too.

Crystal Castles (GGG) - Again, Time Spender is the only "hard" thing here. I was initially doing runs where I just avoided the bees on level 1, but then I figured out that hiding spot in the castle level and that did the trick.

Food Fight (BGx) - Food Fight is pretty cool, but I'm pretty horrible at it. I see the leaderboards are full of people glitching the game, but I'll keep trying to go at it legit.

Lunar Lander (GGG) - Got all golds on this, as well as "my blisters have blisters." This is a pretty fun game, too.

Space Duel (xBB) - I really like the look of this game, but I'm horrible at it. Got 100 points away from the bronze Point Buster three different times, and said forget it, heh.

Tempest (GGG) - I was having trouble with Survivalist until I learned that you're invincible while shooting a spike, so if an enemy makes it to the top, that can save you in a pinch.

Konami Arcade

Detana! TwinBee (GGS) - I don't quite having the scoring mechanic sorted out for the bells, but I managed the Point Buster anyway. But two hours for the gold Time Spender, no thanks.

Kitten Kaboodle (GGG) - Time Spender was a pain because the fish missile things take you out if you linger too long. The Point Buster was easy because of the gambling game, if you bet max and hit the jackpot, there you go.

Missing in Action (GGG) - I actually like this better than Rush N' Attack. Survivalist is easy because you can camp out in a spot until the game forces you forward with the little bombs or those helicopter things.

Rack 'Em Up (GGG) - This is an easy triple gold, but I did a couple of single plays before just buying this. Wish I'd bought it outright to begin with, it's a pretty fun pool game, even if the scoring is kind of weird.

Scramble (GGG) - This didn't take too much doing, plus I like Scramble.

Super Cobra (GSG) - My brain doesn't comprehend how to survive for 4:00 for the gold Survivalist. I've watched videos, I've read tips, etc. Then I play and I just run into stuff and wind up with 3:xx. So frustrating!

Time Pilot (GGG) - It's Time Pilot. Most fun I've had on GR so far.

Tutankham (SGG) - Like Survivalist on Super Cobra, the Point Buster for this game simply eludes me. I can get to the third board with little trouble, but then it's over. I've even tried sitting in one spot killing waves of enemies, but you run out of time. After I got the gold Time Spender, I quit trying.

Single Plays

Gyruss (SSx) - I did well on the demo and gave this a whirl, then died 300 points shy of the gold Point Buster.

Iron Horse (Bxx) - Thought I had the hang of this on the demo as well, but apparently not.

Major Havoc (xxx) - Fruitless journey. I got turned into a really cool looking skeleton a few times, though.

Scooter Shooter (SBx) - Died a few points shy of the gold Point Buster yet again.

Shao-Lin's Road (BBx) - Probably could've done better here, but I kept walking into the enemies like a genius. Don't know what I was thinking, heh.

All in all, I wish there was a wider selection of games from the arcade catalogs, even without straying from Atari and Konami. There's still plenty of decent (by GR standards anyway) games that could be on there. I also wish that the games with only one medal would have had an option for all three, provided you played online or something. There's a lot of games I passed up simply because I didn't want a max of 5 points from a game.

Edited by Disaster Report

Iron Horse from Konami is another easy game to get 3 gold medals by using this trick I just found out.

First of all, choose the punch as the weapon because it will give you 200 points/kills instead of the 100 points/kills for the whip and pistol.

At the begining of the level pick up the gold bag (that's 1000 extra points each time you respawn for a total of 3000 points + another 1000 points for the bag when you get a free life at 30,000 points (you should reach that amount of points while playing with your last life) for a total of 4000 points, then quickly kill the first 6-7 enemies that come in a group of 3 (for another 1200-1400 points).

Now, simply stay inside where the bag was located and to the right (just left from the blue beds) and facing the train track/rails (so when you punch, you will punch toward) and keep pressing the A button all the time to punch the incoming enemies. 1 cowboy will always come from the left but you will kill him before he hits you. And 2-3 other enemies come from the right and up toward you (again, you will punch them before they reach you).

Rinse and repeat this trick until the timer is over (you will lose a life after). Repeat this until it's game over (at some point, you will get 1 free life so you can do this trick 4 times). You can get gold medal on both Point Buster and Survivalist at the end of the game (I was able to get 2 gold medals by using this method, so it should work for anybody else).

As for Time Spender, simply use the same trick but on Classic mode, using the Rewind feature when the timer is almost over. The time is still counted forward even if you use Rewind.

Edited by Dany1981Mtl

I was curious if anyone knows the cheapest route i guess. I dont appreciate having one achievement in the game room and them microsoft making me buy arcade games to fill up to finish it off. I guess in the end though following some of your routes 3200 ms points ($40) is a gently used game anyway right?! so should i suck it up or leave it at 5 gs?

At least 100 gs for you is free. Read up about it in the forum.

Single play 2 x gold possible on Jail Break.

Stand in the uppermost far left corner and shoot the prisoner that appears at the top right, followed by diagonally down (right to left) the two prisoners at the bottom. They will cycle in the pattern. You should net approx. 30,000 points doing this (gold) and will last more than 3 minutes (gold)

You need at least 20 different arcade games (preferably ones with 3 medals, points buster, survivor and time spender), because there is one achievement called Medal Mad where you will have to win 20 medals of each type (20 point buster medals, 20 survivor medals and 20 time spender medals (the type doesn't matter, if its bronze, silver or gold)

I suggest buying easy triple gold games so you can quickly boost your level too to level 20.

I suggest buying easy triple gold games so you can quickly boost your level too to level 20.

For the a lot of the easy gold games you can just buy a quick play rather than buying the full game. If you can get three golds in a game in 6 quick plays or less then it's cheaper than buying the game.

and tell me how will you get the time spender (gold) medal if you quick play (40 MSP/play)?

For most games, the bronze medal for TS is 20-30 mins in time. For gold, it's between 45 mins and 2-3 even 4 hours. 40 MSP per play for 3h, it's gonna cost you more than if you buy the full game for 240MSP. Same goes with the other two medals, if you suck at the game or don't know any easy tricks to get gold medals, you will need more than 6 quick plays.

For the a lot of the easy gold games you can just buy a quick play rather than buying the full game. If you can get three golds in a game in 6 quick plays or less then it's cheaper than buying the game.

well, you can't get example, a bronze medal for time spender with 1 quick play (40MSP) if you play in a ranked mode unless you are good in the game and you can survive for 30-40 mins (that's just for bronze in most games) without dying (after you lose all your lifes) you need to pay another 40 MSP so you can continue the time spender where it was left off. Points buster and Survivor is only for Ranked games, so you can't use the Rewing option in order to go back in case you died. Classic mode is good for time spender but for the other 2, it has to be ranked games.

You get the time spender the same way as if you owned the game, sure not every game you'll be able to get time spender medals with quick plays but I got 5 gold and a silver time spender medals with a single play purchase.

You don't need to be good at the game, as I described in my initial post you can get time spender medals on certain games for doing nothing at all. You only need to get 20 time spender medals in total for all the achievements and I've listed 6 games where you can get them with a single play. Yes if you're good you can get time spenders with single plays on other games, but only if you know what you're doing.

I find that it takes me a single play (or maybe just a lucky run on the demo) to even get some of these games figured out, so I'm just going to buy them instead of gamble on single plays. Until I get really close to level 20, anyway.

I'm getting pretty close to 1000 now, just need a couple of level-related achieves and the challenges. I've only got one friend with GR, though. Slow and steady, I guess.

you can do the challenges alone, with 2 controllers and 2 accounts (i.e, 1 gold account + 1 free account or 2 gold accounts if you have that, it doesn't matter)

With the main account, create 10 challenges (maximum allowed) with these settings:

Challenge expiration (or something similar) : 1 hour

Challege mode: Highest Score

Attempts : 1

Challenge length : 1 minute

Game : Any game you have

Friend : the other account.

With the main account (the one going for the challenge achievements), score some points then die. Repeat that 10 times. Now sign out with the main account and sign in with the other account and play the 10 challenges again, but don't score any points, simply die at the begining. At the end, you should have 3 achievements (Setup a challenge, win 1 challenge and win 10 challenges)

Now, create 10 more challenges and repeat the whole process again. You should have the Win 20 challenges at the end. That how I done that and it worked fine.

I find that it takes me a single play (or maybe just a lucky run on the demo) to even get some of these games figured out, so I'm just going to buy them instead of gamble on single plays. Until I get really close to level 20, anyway.

I'm getting pretty close to 1000 now, just need a couple of level-related achieves and the challenges. I've only got one friend with GR, though. Slow and steady, I guess.

I finally hit level 20 after grinding out some Time Spenders yesterday. Just need those two challenge ones (working on it with a friend) and I'll have the 1000.

Overall: I bought 27 games and did 5 single plays, so that's... $83.50? What a costly 1000! But it was cool to replay some things I hadn't touched since the mid-1980s. Don't think I'll buy anything else from this unless there's a massive expansion of new titles to the store, and if there's any new achieves related to that. I could totally see them releasing new things and then putting level-related achievements going up to level 50 or so.

But I hope not! :p

• 3 weeks later...

Here is my list of medals.

I didn't use any single plays to get to 1000, I did end up buying a few games which weren't fun at all. But in general it was fun to play some of these games again (or for the first time).

• SSG, Asteroids (arcade)
  • SGG, Astrosmash
  • GSG, Battlezone
  • SGG, Beamrider
  • GGG, Buzz Bombers
  • GGG, Chopper Command
  • __G, Codebreaker
  • GGG, Crystal Castles
  • BSG, Detana!! TwinBee
  • GGG, Gravitar
  • SGG, H.E.R.O.
  • SSG, Jackal
  • GGG, Jungler
  • BSG, Keystone Kapers
  • BSG, Kitten Kaboodle
  • GGG, Laser Blast
  • GGG, Lunar Lander
  • BSS, M.I.A.: Missing in Action
  • __G, Pitfall II
  • GGG, Pitfall!
  • SGG, Rack 'Em Up
  • GSG, Red Baron
  • BBG, Road Fighter
  • BGS, Seaquest
  • BBB, Shao-lin's Road
  • GSG, Tempest
  • GGG, Thunder Castle
  • SSB, Time Pilot
  • GGG, Tower of Doom
  • __G, Venetian Blinds
  • BSB, Video Hustler
  • SGG, Yar's Revenge
  • BGG, Yie Ar KUNG-FU

33 games.. but considering game room is almost a year old now, about 3 games per month. Which sounds about right, I usually bought one or two games on a wednesday if there was no interesting XBLA release in that week :)