You want to have Claimh Solais? Read here.

Enki

Hello Castlevania-Fans!,

as I stated in another thread I've got the feeling that it depends on who opens the chest and how much LCK the character needs.

As I told you in another thread almost every round I opened the chest at Chapter 6 one of the Soma-Players got the Claimh Solais. That was about two days ago.

Yesterday I've made some runs, playing with Shanoa (as usual) and some other Somas. I opened the Chest twice again (spamming 'Got it! Got it!') and everytime one of the Somas got the Claimh Solais. I don't know if this is pure coincidence or I just have a special equip that works really well together getting these items.

So I want to test something out with you. I want to play some rounds with five Somas and me as Shanoa, I won't change anything on my equipment. Then we could eventually really find out if this is true or mere coincidence. I opened about 12 or 13 Chests and 8 or 9 times someone got that weapon everyone wants to have.

I live in Europe and so it would be the best to play with some Europeans due to timezone differences.

Gamertag: enki2k

Hope it'll work!

I did about 15 runs on chapter 5 on Hard with 4 other friends. I was the third person in the room so I spawned at the quick spawn. I went straight to Death, fully lucked out (49 luck + luck cloak). Killed Death and opened the chest. 4/6 of us got Ancient Armor, three of us got Death's Scythe, I got Death's Robe, and Death's Soul.

With that said, I believe there is a lot of truth behind it.

If that doesn't convince people, we did Chapter 10 later that night. I would fight the Count, get the last hit on him, I would go back to the book and fully luck my guy out and open the chest. After about 5 runs, my friend got Claimh Solais +1. About 15 runs later, another one of my friends got a Claimh Solais +1.

It's not enought when you just open the chest with luck gear?? That way I got my Val+1 and Claimh+1.

Now I need all the whip-user rares. :rolleyes:

According to Konami, the luck defined by the chest is determined by the character who kills the boss.

But, if you really want to be on the safe side, have the player with the highest luck kill the boss and open the chest.

Chapter 10 I would disagree with. Probably because I have run the chapter so much now that I can do it blindfolded. Only with Alucard would I have any real difficulty.

Chapter 11, find a partner to damage the boss until it's almost dead, at which point the luck mule comes in to finish them off.

I would have to agree that luck makes the difference. I was previously under the impression that it did not when I began playing the game (around the time ch 7 came out). So I just kept doing chapter 7 runs hoping to find my first valmanway since it wasn't needed for that chapter. About 400 runs later I still had no val. I ended up finding 2 misers and got my gold to 10 million from ch 7 before finding one so I decided to try using some luck gear.

Using Soma with 51 luck (Dead warrior, thief rings, 7s, ect) in about 10 ch 6 runs I found my first valmanway, and a 2nd one 20ish runs later. After that in about 20 ch 5 solo runs ancient armor, serker mail, and deaths robe all popped out. Afterwards, with a 42 luck alucard I found the Alucard Sword in about 10 runs on 4 hard, vorpal blade in 20 norm 6 runs, and so on.

In short, luck definitely makes a difference on boss chests.

• 3 months later...

Vexorr, if you still check this thread can you let me know if it was you striking the killing blow and/or opening the chest when you got your rare stuff? If you can remember.

I'm after a Claimh Solais + 1 and don't think I'll ever be landing the killing blow on R. The Count. I'm a total liability against him I'm afraid!

Actually that brings me to another question, I saw a Soma using a small white shield to block R. The Count's fireballs, which would make it so much easier. Does anyone know which soul confers the ability? Or, can Alucard's shields block his fire?

EDIT: I now know that it's the Final Guard soul. Does it become cheaper to cast as you collect more souls? I only have 1 at the moment and it's very expensive...

I got a regular Claimh Solais yesterday, and it's the only time I've EVER seen it drop. Lucky, lucky me :) and I've become much better against R. The Count, so perhaps there is hope. Maybe even a solo run at some point... Final Guard souls now maxed out too.

Edited by Reverendjc

I've read that increasing your luck is actually counter productive towards getting rares and hurts your chances by increasing the odds for getting uncommon stuff by a bigger %. And the general consensus I've gathered from the freaks who obsessively play this game is that luck has little to no effect with getting super rare items from boss chests.

Supposedly the thief ring actually does increase the chances for rares, but I haven't noticed anything. And there's a cape in a DLC chapter that's said to increase the chances for rares too.

Anyhow, higher luck does effect things like normal monsters dropping items, getting souls for soma, and the chance to learn absorbed spells and that's about it.

Actually GETTING rares from boss chests deals more with things like completion time and how many times you get hit (less = better) but there's still no gaurantee. Then there are other factors like who you play as and what chapter you play on effecting the chances of what kind of rares you could get.

I still want winged boots really bad. =(

Edited by Fried Cola

• 2 weeks later...

I think its true. I have also played 5-6 runs on various Chapters with a friend a few days ago. I have ~49 luck with Soma. My friend and i get a Dracula tunic (Dont know the english name, but i mean the armor from dracula), Deaths Scythe, Gergoth x3. After that, i have played Chapter 10 solo with Soma and get a R. the Count soul.

I would really appreciate the help if you wouldn't mind and you're still doing it, I've played 15 hours straight and haven't been able to find that damn sword, I did get one Valmanway though, I also need a second one though, so hopefully I'll find one on the way to Claimh Solais.

If you do want to help, I'll be happy to repay you in kind in any way you can think of in-game, whether it's survival grinding or whatever, I'm game.

Fried Cola,

Believe what you want, and just play the game how you want too. Does luck work? I'm a believer, and I know that many of the people I have played with are too.

As for the obsessive players who talk about luck not working, I've already addressed on multiple occasions flaws in their approach. (From not keeping detailed information about who kills the boss, opens the chest, luck of other characters, etc). Running a level 8000x is no more decisive than 80000x if you're looking for a pure sampling statistic. You'd need to run something several hundred million times at best, and none of us have the time.

I've already posted a couple videos on my opinion of this. They were recorded in real time, and are back to back to back (etc.) (I included play time so you can verify that I didn't just take videos of recordings), and used as much of a control as possible. I included every run (sans when my video recorder froze), which included the bad drops and good. They were on the spot runs, so I didn't just remove the first several runs which were bad (at least without acknowledging them). In those videos, we had fast runs. We had slow runs. We had multiple deaths. We only had a few occasions where someone didn't take a hit. Judge the results for yourself. Granted, since I made those videos, Konami has brought forth to light more information that was unknown to us at the time.

Part of the problem though is that we've all pretty much stopped playing the game. And I believe that those who also believed in luck (if luck works as Konami has advertised), have done the same. Most of us went from having few rares to having multiple copies of every item in the game in a matter of a week or two. And when you have nothing left to play for but to have fun, you stop playing obsessively, and often, the burn out that existed before the lucky streak leads to them to stop playing altogether. What that leads to though, is that if we did figure out how to manipulate the drop pool, what you end up with is those very players with the ability to manipulate the drop pool no longer being part of the community, and thus what you're left with is once again a community who doesn't know what to believe.

While I could play the game again, I don't think I could devote hours per day anymore. And really, the only sensible approach to proving if luck works or not is to start a whole new character from scratch to see if they can acquire every rare item in a short amount of time. Unfortunately, there's more to the game than just items themselves, and grinding skills all over again is not something most of us would rather do.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri33VMj-ux4]YouTube - ‪Castlevania: Harmony of Despair - Luck Run # 4‬‏[/ame]

One of my friends just purchased this game, and I started playing again the past couple days after a several month break. I've already posted my other luck run videos, and this is one I recorded yesterday night/this morning. Included are the bad runs as well as the good runs. With the exception of my friend and one or two people who joined in and dropped out over the runs, we all have as high luck as possible for the characters. And to keep as much of a control as possible, we had a specific player kill the boss as well as open up the chest. (We had organizational issues with the first 3 runs of Chapter 2, but nothing dropped in them).

11 Chapter 2 Runs:

Puppet Master Soul x5

Healing Mail x1

Thief Ring x2

1 Chapter 5 Run:

Death's Robe x1

Death's Soul x1

Beserker Mail x1

14 Chapter 6 Runs:

Fois Gras x3

Dracula Soul x4

Dracula's Tunic x6

Claimh Solais x3

Valmanway x1

Impervoius Mail x2

26 runs, 31 rare drops. This is similar to my other lucks runs I've done. We're averaging about 1 rare item per run for a group of 4 when everyone is donning full luck gear.

My friend has his Claimh Solais, several Dracula Tunics, and Winged Boots in 40 runs of Chapter 6.

Believe in luck or not, but all I have to say is that I can reproduce these results on any chapter now, and have about 300 runs worth of data, all of which have similar results to the above.

Believe in luck or not, but all I have to say is that I can reproduce these results on any chapter now, and have about 300 runs worth of data, all of which have similar results to the above.

I'm a believer! :woop:

Over the last two days of farming with BehindTimes and his friends in luck gear, I've gotten:

1 Valmanway

2 Winged Boots

2 Thief Rings

2 Dracula's Tunic

3 Apollonian Rings

2 Artemisian Rings

1 Legion soul

3 Puppetmaster souls

1 Dracula soul

1 Truffle

1 Death Scythe

With lots of the same dropping as well for others in the group. Luck stat is most definitely a factor in drop rates.