Can a speedrunner set some time goals?

Deus.EXE

Before I try and beat it under 3 hours, I was wondering if any runners could post some goals. Like "Get X key- 20 minutes." and "Kill Crimson Head Prototype- 35 minutes.". As a way to look at it and say "well, I took 15 minutes longer than the goal, so let me start back at the lastgoals save. I remember setting times for myself with Code Veronica, like being happy to get to the second half in less than an hour, and if i didnt reach certain goals, i would start back from a checkpoint I made myself.

I normally would do this myself, but my job demands my attention.

I'd like to ask if I were to pause the game to go do something, does that affect my overall game time? I just don't want to attempt a speed run and have to go do something for a few minutes, and have that time added on. I skimmed through the achievement guide, but I didn't see anything regarding my question.

Thanks!

I'd like to ask if I were to pause the game to go do something, does that affect my overall game time? I just don't want to attempt a speed run and have to go do something for a few minutes, and have that time added on. I skimmed through the achievement guide, but I didn't see anything regarding my question.

Thanks!

I'll add it into the FAQ at the top of the guide but...yes, pausing does make the clock tick. Anything does really.

If you absolutely have to do something during a run, your best bet is to head to the nearest save-room and make a save. Then go do what you were going to do, plan out where you're heading next and exit out of the game. Now reload and you'll have just as much time on the clock as when you went in there to save.

Edit: Added it to the FAQ on both 360 and One guides, as well as a red note on the achievement itself in regards to pausing.

----

As far as the OP is concerned, I'm not a seasoned speed-runner myself (I mean I'll run games as fast as an achievement requires but...) but the general idea is this (someone can probably do this better):

Mansion: Start to Crimson Head Prototype - 35 - 40 minutes gametime.

Lisa Trevor Cabin and Courtyard - 5 to 10 minutes, most likely less than 10.

Residence - 20 to 30 minutes.

Return to Mansion - 10-15 minutes.

Caves - 10-20 minutes

Lab - 10-20 minutes.

So...adding my greatest estimates...40+10(50)+30(1:20)+15(1:35)+20(1:55)+20(2:15).

2 hours and 15 minutes. Most general speed-runs not done by the pros are around 2 hours, 30 minutes to 2 hours, 50 minutes. That leaves a good 15 or more minutes of leeway. Chances are and this is just a guess...you might end up spending a total of an hour in the mansion the first time (it's the most time consuming portion of the game). And that's just due to all the backtracking, pathways and number of enemies you have to avoid (this number decreases later in the game).

What I did when running the speed run was start at roughly X'oclock on the dot. As such, by example say I started at 6PM. I'd do my run, get to where maybe I felt I needed to make a save then make it. I'd check the clock. If I did things fast, we'll say maybe it's 6:20 by now and I'm at least after the death masks now. I then reload the save so I don't lose any time at about...6:25 (to keep track of time) and I keep going until I'm done, just barely getting passed 7:00PM as I'm out of the mansion at Lisa's cabin.

Alternatively if you have a stopwatch or something on your phone perhaps, you could run a timer and when you feel like saving, hit stop as soon as the save is made...then start it up again when you're ready to roll (if you make a mistake and have to reload your save, it might be a good idea to write down what time you had when you stopped so you can keep better track).

Edited by TVthePunisher

Saw this on on every speedrun video. Tried it and thought not gonna fuck my controller for this! :p

You only have to tap the run button, not mash it like this was Banjo-Tooie's Canary Mary race all over again x.x (not sure if you played that but...point being...you only have to moderately press it over and over again).

You only have to tap the run button, not mash it like this was Banjo-Tooie's Canary Mary race all over again x.x (not sure if you played that but...point being...you only have to moderately press it over and over again).

Yeah well I'm playing with the alternate controls type b remember. :nana There you have to use the :ls: to do that action.

if you type in "remake speedrun" on youtube you should find the gamecube playthrough of someone names carcinogen (or some play on spelling). He has the screen set up like the RE inventory menu that has several collection milestones and times to get them on the side as he's playing through. He did it in like an 1:45 so there's a decent amount of room for you to maneuver if you memorize chunks of his game at a time.

Sorry, just got back to the thread. I meant more for just to get the rocket launcher. Not to necessarily become one of the runners aiming for a 1:30 playthrough. Sorry, I wasn't clear on that. Mostly because I don't trust in my ability to avoid zombies the way the runners do.

Here's another question- if I DO kill any zombies, but manage to get to the residence on time will they still be crimson heads when I return or will they despawn for the hunters?

Here's another question- if I DO kill any zombies, but manage to get to the residence on time will they still be crimson heads when I return or will they despawn for the hunters?

Yes some crimson heads do spawn along with hunters. Don't waste your time killing them all ONLY THE ONES THAT ARE REALLY IN YOUR WAY or giving you a hard time to dodge.

I used this guide. 2nd playtrough Jill.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/gamecube/535836-resident-evil/faqs/17019

48 kills. Ended up with 2:38. 2 hr mark by wolf/eagle fountain. 1 hr mark residence I think.

10 saves, 1 death by hunters. 1 big mistake in backtracking (continued anyways).

Alternative controls is annoying but helpful in moving fast.

Edited by StarsRPD

48 kills. Ended up with 2:38. 2 hr mark by wolf/eagle fountain.

10 saves, 1 death by hunters.

I also used this exact same guide. I took brief notes on where I was going, what I was supposed to be collecting, and read them bit by bit during the door loading screens.

Ended up with 2:30:29 and there were a few times I went the wrong way. Mostly just ran past all zombies if possible. Total of 39 creatures killed.

Im not sure i read right but does having it on Japanese language also save time? I watched someone speedrun on twitch this morning and he did it in 1hr 52mins crazy!

Well I managed to do it in 01:47:19 on Hard with unlimited RPG. The fastest guy currently on the Xbox One leaderboards clocked in a 01:29:06. Glad they're still not fucked yet by any hackers. Can't say that on the Playstation leaderboards. I completed it there too and boy the first 500+ spot are all screwed. The first has a time of 00:00:00.

48 kills. Ended up with 2:38. 2 hr mark by wolf/eagle fountain. 1 hr mark residence I think.

10 saves, 1 death by hunters. 1 big mistake in backtracking (continued anyways).

Alternative controls ARE AMAZING AND helpful in moving fast.

Thanks for the guide link. I copied it over to word and trimmed it down by about 40 pages. Plan to use it for no save and speed run next weekend. Plus I fixed your post ;)

EDIT: Decided to give it a try today and was able to finish with a time of 2:37:51. I recorded where I was at hour one and hour 2. Had a couple problems with the guide, but nothing horrible. Grenade Launcher didn't lock on to Plant 42 a few times, so some ammo was wasted. That made the spider fight a little bit harder because I was out of fire rounds.

1:00:00 - Dorm 002 (Taking ladder down to Aqua Ring)

2:00:00 - Boulder Room 002 ( Use Hex Crank 3 times to activate boulder and access to puzzle room)

Edited by bob101910

I used this YouTube speedrun

. My time came in at 2:27, as I did deviate to pick up some ammo (which turned out to be waaaaay unnecessary, as I had a ton left at completion.) What I did was just watch about a 15 minute chunk, memorize the moves, then make a save when I "caught up". I ended with about 12 saves. Took just a few hours.

EDIT: Decided to give it a try today and was able to finish with a time of 2:37:51. I recorded where I was at hour one and hour 2. Had a couple problems with the guide, but nothing horrible. Grenade Launcher didn't lock on to Plant 42 a few times, so some ammo was wasted. That made the spider fight a little bit harder because I was out of fire rounds.

1:00:00 - Dorm 002 (Taking ladder down to Aqua Ring)

2:00:00 - Boulder Room 002 ( Use Hex Crank 3 times to activate boulder and access to puzzle room)

Nice! I just used shotgun on the spider boss, he took 8 shots but I had 29 in total. Had 2 fire rounds and 3 acid rounds. might still have killed him with that idk. http://www.twitch.tv/eskobarm92/b/615722084

For plant 42 you have to aim up if you're on the balcony. Wasted 1 or 2 shots myself.

Since I got the rocket launcher I finished hard mode no ink with 119 kills haha

4hrs with cutscenes http://oi57.tinypic.com/167o9cm.jpg

Real survival, knife only and Invisible mode to go.

Edited by StarsRPD

Nice! I just used shotgun on the spider boss, he took 8 shots but I had 29 in total. Had 2 fire rounds and 3 acid rounds. might still have killed him with that idk. http://www.twitch.tv/eskobarm92/b/615722084

For plant 42 you have to aim up if you're on the balcony. Wasted 1 or 2 shots myself.

Since I got the rocket launcher I finished hard mode no ink with 119 kills haha

4hrs with cutscenes http://oi57.tinypic.com/167o9cm.jpg

Real survival, knife only and Invisible mode to go.

2 fire rounds should be enough to kill the spider (according to the guide I used). Plant 42 bothered me because my first 2 shots hit. It was the next few that missed. Killed him with my last shot.

Plan on doing it again just for fun this weekend. This time with saving so bathroom breaks don't take up time. I haven't felt like replaying through a game randomly one evening since Resident Evil 5. If I can cut the time down to under 2 hours, I might be playing RE at least once a week.

Edited by bob101910