Beam Me Up!

owinn

Using only full beam shots and without dying, complete stage 1 of R-Type or R-Type II in 1P Classic

Anyone managed this yet? Which is easiest? RType or RType II? Can you collect power ups? Can you use the Force ? Does the single shot fired before a charge ruin this?

HELP!

Ah, you just beat me to posting the same query.

1. Can you pick up the first powerup and use it as a shield?

2. The shot you fire when you hold down the fire button to charge the beam up, if you take out an enemy with this single shot does it wreck the achievement?

Is it just me or is anyone else out there finding this an absolute bitch to do? I can get to the first checkpoint where you first enter the enemy base no problem, but get absolutely owned by the 20 or so aliens that cluster around the entrance.

I've refined the strategy for after the second checkpoint (narrow tunnel where the missile power up is) to get through to the boss no problem. The final boss is really easy, just 2 full beam shots to take it out. But its the middle section that is really tough!

Using only full beam shots and without dying, complete stage 1 of R-Type or R-Type II in 1P Classic

Anyone managed this yet? Which is easiest? RType or RType II? Can you collect power ups? Can you use the Force ? Does the single shot fired before a charge ruin this?

HELP!

I've been attempting this last night before bed and i'll attempt it again later tonight but it seems to me R Type 2 was easier than 1 well for me at least.. when you do the single shot just try to make sure you don't hit an enemy. There are walls and stuff you can lay a shot on and i dont think it ruins it because there's no way to charge a shot without firing a single.

Also you should be able to use powerups because it doesn't say "without powerups" and the achievements that dont want you to pick up powerups say so but beware when you start getting into the later stages of powerups the single shot fires angled shots that WILL hit enemies but that's near the end of the level anyway.

Okay so I finally got the achievement and to clarify you can use the Force as a shield... even better I definately shot an enemy accidentally with an uncharged shot and was kicking myself for it until I killed the boss and the achievement unlocked. I think, so long as you're using that shot to charge a full beam, it ignores the fact you shot an enemy with a regular shot.

Owinn - that's great to hear that you can get away with the single shot as long as you release a full powered beam shot.

Can I ask (sorry if this sounds stupid), when you refer to "the force" do you mean the pod that you draw onto the front of your ship after the first power-up pickup. If that's the case, on R-Type 1 does this mean that when you enter the base after the first checkpoint you can take out most of that alien cluster from a distance and then just run into what remains to destroy them?

Owinn - that's great to hear that you can get away with the single shot as long as you release a full powered beam shot.

Can I ask (sorry if this sounds stupid), when you refer to "the force" do you mean the pod that you draw onto the front of your ship after the first power-up pickup. If that's the case, on R-Type 1 does this mean that when you enter the base after the first checkpoint you can take out most of that alien cluster from a distance and then just run into what remains to destroy them?

Yes. The orb.

Ouch i think this achievement may be glitched for me, just beat R type 2 stage 1 using only fully charged shots, I hit a enemy here and there with a regular shot, but only when i was initiating the full charge, beat the boss achievement did not unlock, did a second run through thinking maybe you can't hit an enemy with a single shot, and so i didn't hit one with a shot, i used only FULLY charged shots, beat the boss boom didn't unlock. Earlier on i killed the boss at the same time he killed me, the game froze, stuttered, and took me into a black screen saying "ready" and never moved.. may have glitched the achievement for me :(

edit: tried it on my girlfriends account and did not unlock either! maybe it's problematic on R-type 2 or i'm doing something terribly wrong :p

Edited by panicky

I think powerups like missiles and or the lasers disable the achievement too. Because I used only fully charged shots and had powers ups and did not get the achievement.

Ah that makes sense and would probably explain why i haven't been getting it, bummer without powerups it's going to be a lot more difficult. Out of curiousity were you doing it on R-Type 1 or 2?

Ah that makes sense and would probably explain why i haven't been getting it, bummer without powerups it's going to be a lot more difficult. Out of curiousity were you doing it on R-Type 1 or 2?

For reference I got my achievement in R-Type 1. Maybe R-Type 2 doesn't allow the "hyper" beam?

I just got the achievement, I picked up the first Powerup in the beginning which grants you the orb, then I picked up the speed powerup, followed by the second orb (the one that hovers above you) and i was able to unlock it, basically you can't pick up the missile powerup, or any of the Orb upgrades.

R-Type 1 -

I've tried once only using only full powered shots with Force Orb, Missiles, Reflective Lasers, and satellite;

Once with Force Orb, Reflective Lasers, and satellite;

Once with Force Orb, and satellite;

Only Force Orb (hitting some enemies)

and I still haven't got the achievement to unlock.

I think if you've got the Force orb then you can't hit any enemies with it only shield yourself from bullets perhaps.

This thing SEEMS picky, but I think I've got it figured out, you can't kill enemies WITH the pod, just stop bullets, and the beam HAS to be 100% charged up? No premature ejacuplasma-ation? It's a hunch, but this achievement goes down TONIGHT!

*edit* Just got it, you CAN use the force pod as a battering ram. I also picked up a Speed boost but did not pick up the shield, also, I made absolutely sure every one of my shots was 100% fully charged.

Edited by The Bryceroy

Nice one Bryceroy. I'm going to try this out in a minute now.

To sum up for people coming fresh into this thread, here's a summary of how it seems to do it:

1) Play it on R Type-1 as there are some issues wrt the Beam in R-Type 2.

2) Pick up the force pod before entering the base to soak up enemy bullets and to use as a battering ram to clear enemies out of the way (useful for between checkpoint 1 and 2 in the enemy base).

3) Do not pick up any other powerups for the force pod.

4) Do not pick up the shield powerup.

5) You can pick up the speed up powerup.

6) Make sure that every beam shot fired is 100% fully powered up.

7) The initial single shot that is fired when charging the beam up does not affect the achievement if it hits an enemy.

8) If you mess up do not press START and restart level. Instead quit to main menu and restart the game (someone reported having an issue with this over on the 360 forums)

If anything you feel is out of place here please correct me on it.

*EDIT* I just got this to unlock. Got it on my 2nd attempt. Like a complete tard I got killed on my first go before getting into the base. Quit out to main menu and started level again from scratch. I followed every single one of these guidelines and it worked a treat. I won't be able to tell now about R-Type 2 now but on R-Type 1 it worked a charm :)

Edited by Aphrodite1

^is confusing.

Beam up immediately and if you can dodge until the first pod, pick that up to get the shield (orb). Run into everything that is in front of you and use the beam (but dont let it hit any enemy) for the tougher enemies.

Use the beam on the head of the alien boss (do not hit orbs) to charge up.

Finally got it. Took me a couple of tries. I beat the level without dying a few times and didn't get it. I guess I didn't have the beam charged up 100% for all of my shots. It's hard to watch the bar at the top and kill aliens at the same time. I can confirm:

1) You can get the shield and ram enemies with the shield.

2) You can get the speed up item.

3) You can kill an enemy with a regular bullet only if that bullet was the shot fired to charge the super duper cannon.

Okay so I finally got the achievement and to clarify you can use the Force as a shield... even better I definately shot an enemy accidentally with an uncharged shot and was kicking myself for it until I killed the boss and the achievement unlocked. I think, so long as you're using that shot to charge a full beam, it ignores the fact you shot an enemy with a regular shot.

Thanks for Clearing that up dude i was wondering would you get it if you accidentally shot an enemy while charging ; )

OK. Perhaps my point by point explanation of what to do isn't that clear, so instead here's a walkthrough of how to do it for R-Type 1:

When you start off press the fire button to charge up the beam fully to 100%. At this point you should then fire the beam to take out enemies. (NB When you first press the fire button a single shot is fired initially as the beam is charging. If this single shot hits and destroys an enemy the achievement is not affected). Continue this charge / full beam fire process at leisure (or you can opt to dodge the enemies if you wish) until the first powerup alien appears on screen. Ensure you take out this powerup alien with a fully charged beam shot as before. This will give you the orb which you should attach to the front of your ship. This will make your life one hell of a lot easier as you enter the enemy base. Continue to fire only fully charged shots and batter into enemies with the pod attached to your ship. When the second powerup enemy appears this will yield the speed up powerup. Pick this up if you so wish. After this point DO NOT pick up anymore powerups, but it is still OK to take out the powerup aliens. Now just play through to the end of the level firing only 100% fully charged shots / battering enemies with the pod / dodging if you want until you get to the boss. The boss takes two fully powered beam shots to kill by shooting the little creature that pops out of its guts. Achievement Unlocked!

Hope this clears things up. As I stated in point 8) of my previous post to err on caution, if you screw up a run quit out to main menu and start again that way. Don't select the restart level option.