Playing w/friends.

Gackt

Here is how it works for those still not clear.

Here is a link to a level calculator.

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Summon+Range+Calculator

Level gap between characters is 10 + 10%

You NEED to be Human to summon others and make sure you sign is not down while looking for others or they will not appear.

If you are looking to be summoned yourself, you don't have to be human...dead players can be summoned.

If you want to play with a friend, whoever is the one who is summoning phantoms into his world can not have defeated the area Boss.

Simply put down your sign to be summoned, if you are in private chat with your friend this can work better. You keep putting the sign down until it appears for your friend (should be fairly instant depending on your ping)

Seeing different msg signs all over the ground does not mean you are on different servers and can not play together, it does not work that way...what happens is each time you put down your sign it is putting it on servers that are visible to other players on other servers, keep doing it and it will eventually show up for your friend.

Tried this a few times with my brother and it worked very well on multiple occasions.

You can play with people who are on New Game+ even if you are not.

(Thanks to Auburok for this information!)

Hope this is helpful :)

Edit:

Seems like the game is set up on several server clusters. What that means for playing with your friends is, they need to be on the same one as you to even have a chance to see your summon sign. How it picks what server you are on is beyond me, quitting out and reloading MAY cycle you to a different set of servers I am not 100% on that though. Easy way to tell if you are on the same server as your buddies is, wait around the same area for a few moments and you will see a phantom of them. If you can see them, you are on the same server and should have few issues summoning.

EDIT:

Ok after some more testing, sometimes the sign will not ALWAYS show up right away. But if you find an area to play with your friend what you can do is put the sign down for 1 minute, if it does not show...repeat until it does. Doing it this way I was able to play almost every area with my brother so far.

Re-edit: This doesn't seem to really apply anymore since the update, much easier to find your friends.

After helping people with bosses and asking them what level they were, I can now definitely confirm that the level gap is at least 10. Not 10%

Edit: (Plenty of people including myself have been playing with others far beyond 10 levels apart from each other, at one point I summoned a guy into my game who was level 427...I was level 12. (This was before any patches, I have not played since then so I don't know if it's still broken like that or not)

Note: PRIVATE CHAT works, and will not kick you back to the dashboard.

PARTY CHAT WILL KICK YOU.

I will continue to update this if things change or new info gets confirmed. If you have confirmed information that differs from what I have please msg me and I will update this post! :)

Edited by Gackt

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the level gap is definitely 10 souls? There has been a lot of confusion between it being 10 soul levels or 10%.

My friend and I will check this out later today and see how it goes.

The guide and wiki information says 10%, but from experience I can tell you that this is not a strict rule. I just summoned someone to help with my first run at the gaping dragon, and the guy had crazy advanced equipment. His achievement list also showed that he was at the end of the game, so surely higher than 10 or 10% of my level 32.

The guide and wiki information says 10%, but from experience I can tell you that this is not a strict rule. I just summoned someone to help with my first run at the gaping dragon, and the guy had crazy advanced equipment. His achievement list also showed that he was at the end of the game, so surely higher than 10 or 10% of my level 32.

The guide (Future Press, which is pretty much a direct translation of the Japanese "complete" guide) actually says 10 Soul Levels, not 10%. I've also seen it go above 10 as well so I think the calculation is the same as Demon's souls which is: Host Soul level +/- (Host Soul Level * .1) + 10.

As for the "good" of this information; it's as I've said all along, same for the level function not being, well not a function at all, but a measly 10%. This will work, but it will take some time in most cases. I'll just start PMing Gackt, so he can report it, every time I try to tell you knuckleheads how it is -.-

Edited by Strid

The guide (Future Press, which is pretty much a direct translation of the Japanese "complete" guide) actually says 10 Soul Levels, not 10%. I've also seen it go above 10 as well so I think the calculation is the same as Demon's souls which is: Host Soul level +/- (Host Soul Level * .1) + 10.

As for the "good" of this information; it's as I've said all along, same for the level function not being, well not a function at all, but a measly 10%. This will work, but it will take some time in most cases. I'll just start PMing Gackt, so he can report it, every time I try to tell you knuckleheads how it is -.-

First off, I would like to thank anyone who gives up information to help others on this site. I lol'd @ "every time I try to tell you knuckleheads how it is -.-" because I remember seeing that in the multiplayer thread, I believe.

Even when all the information you present is correct, people would struggle to believe it when it goes against what everyone else says. That's when you need to demonstrate you're process and explain how you discovered your results. Simply telling someone they're wrong and then reiterating the same message won't change peoples minds.

I had this problem in a different game before. The spawning/looting method is different in the game and no one would believe me because it was unlike most other games. I had taken my time to carefully explain how the true system worked; I was 100% correct in the matter as well. I stopped everything I was doing to inform this individual, gifted them with my time and knowledge. After I finished the description with examples that took me a 5+ minutes to convey, his first words were,"wat's ur source?". I was slightly appalled; him asking this simply informed me that he didn't believe what I had carefully taken time to tell him. My source, of course, was me and I had carefully tested my theory over a few years when I played shortly each time; the information would be out there to prove me correct. However, at this point I was offended that this was his only response, and furthermore he became completely ungrateful when I mentioned I wouldn't take more of my time to browse and post a link for him.

Yes, this is the internet and people are trolls at time.

The best advice I can give from the above is to simply state the advice/information and not struggle with other ideas that appear in the thread. If you attempt to force the idea onto someone, they definitely won't believe it.

The only data I had to offer as example was collected by me in the game. I had once explained that I had summoned a friend (which took a long time) who was under 10% of my level. However, it's the internet, I didn't have any way to disarm the "LOLZ pikz r et dndt happn!" crowd, which suffice to say seemingly doesn't exist here beyond the day 2-3 trolls that have long since gone. Anyway, since I didn't have any proof I just brought it up once and let it go, I figured you guys would eventually figure it out on your own. That or, enough people would bring it up and, well, boom.

All is well that ends well, I'm just glad no one around here seems to want to pick fights. We may have varying opinions and thoughts about how things actually are, but we aren't having to fight to carry on. Good stuff.

Bumping this because it's getting buried and I think it is useful info for those who want to play together! :)

So the level gap is definitely 10 souls? There has been a lot of confusion between it being 10 soul levels or 10%.

My friend and I will check this out later today and see how it goes.

Yes. I have a character I leave at level 20 so I can help people defeat the bell tower gargoyles. Most of them when I ask have been level 10.

Edited by Gackt

This isn't working for me and my friend. I am guessing this is because were on different servers? He is seeing different "messages" on the ground than me. I have put down the stone like 30 times and wait a minute, but it never shows up in my friends game. Any help???

Edited by llll epic llll

@Gackt: How close is your brother to you that you tested this with?

Curious how the servers work and are located. Could someone from the UK and USA pull this off or are the way the servers are setup make this impossible?

My brother was level 10 and I was level 20. Also just did it at levels 30 and 20.

As for the servers, I have no idea how they work, I am fairly sure we can not play with Asia, they have their own. But Europe and North America can play together, I have played with a few Europeans so far(I am in America/East Coast) So yes, USA & UK should have no issues playing together.

This isn't working for me and my friend. I am guessing this is because were on different servers? He is seeing different "messages" on the ground than me. I have put down the stone like 30 times and wait a minute, but it never shows up in my friends game. Any help???

Make sure you are within 10 levels of each other. If you are both in the Way of White covenant...it makes it easier to find each other, but not required.

Also, make sure the area boss is not dead on the person who is doing the summoning, or it wont work.

Different messages do not matter, those seem to cycle through different servers.

Try waiting longer on your summon sign, sometimes it takes a bit longer to show up, if after a few minutes it doesnt work...put it down again and wait. I know that is a pain in the ass but it has worked for me so far. Goodluck :)

Hehe, when I asked how close your brother was, I meant distance not levels :)

I'm on the west coast. Going to try to pull this off with someone in Scotland.

Oh, we live together so...5 feet? lol. Both of our consoles are in our gaming room so that may help in us finding each other so quick/easily.

BUT I know it can work for different countries so, just keep at it and you will get it to work I am sure :)

Does this work for cross-playthrough play? Such as if someone is on playthrough 1, and someone is on playthrough 2, so long as they are within 10 levels of each other?

Can't seem to get this to work. Wonder if other things are taken in to account?

EDIT:

Nevermind, got it to work. You can play with players that are in different playthroughs on their difficulty, naturally. This means you can hang out in your first playthrough in areas you're much too strong to be in (like 80-100 soul level at the Capra Demon boss) and help people that are on their second playthrough.

Edited by Auburok

Does this work for cross-playthrough play? Such as if someone is on playthrough 1, and someone is on playthrough 2, so long as they are within 10 levels of each other?

Can't seem to get this to work. Wonder if other things are taken in to account?

EDIT:

Nevermind, got it to work. You can play with players that are in different playthroughs on their difficulty, naturally. This means you can hang out in your first playthrough in areas you're much too strong to be in (like 80-100 soul level at the Capra Demon boss) and help people that are on their second playthrough.

Nice! I added it to the original post and credited you.

Thank you so much for posting this, Gackt. It's so nice to finally be able to play with Auburok <3

lol no problem :D

I can confirm that this method is working fine for myself and a friend. The first couple of times it took about 10-15 minutes before my summoning sign would show up (with a refresh of the sign after about 10 seconds each time), after we played together a few times though the sign would show up after a few tries and we have had no trouble playing together.

The only issue we had was an invader entered my friends world whilst I was a phantom and the invader could not see me nor could I see the invader, he passed through me apparently as if I wasn't even there, so there are still definitely some kinks to be worked out but so far, so good.

I can confirm that this method is working fine for myself and a friend. The first couple of times it took about 10-15 minutes before my summoning sign would show up (with a refresh of the sign after about 10 seconds each time), after we played together a few times though the sign would show up after a few tries and we have had no trouble playing together.

The only issue we had was an invader entered my friends world whilst I was a phantom and the invader could not see me nor could I see the invader, he passed through me apparently as if I wasn't even there, so there are still definitely some kinks to be worked out but so far, so good.

We had something like that, but with normal enemies. In Sen's Fortress, IDiivil saw two snake people, and I saw two corpses. I just stabbed the air until I hit something. Hasn't happened since, though.

Great thread, this is good to know. My friend rented himself a copy of the game, as well as one for me, thinking it was co-op, kind of like borderlands, and we couldn't figure out why we couldn't get multiplayer to work. Well, this explains everything haha. It's kind of a shame you can't pick who to summon :/. Ah well, hopefully we get lucky and can summon one another. Again, thanks for the info!

Also, do you happen to know why you can't be in party chat while playing? I remember I created my character, and I happened to be in a party, and after getting everything perfect, I started up the game, and once the cinematics were over it booted me to the title screen, not saving any of the character customizations I spent forever doing D: