Official Bitching Thread

MyRifleIsBroken

I, for one, never experienced a single genuine scare in this installment.

Did you experience any in the previous games? I know I never did, I was startled now and then but never scared.

DS3 was just as tense as previous games [especially on the right modes] and had the same level of startles. While at the same time playing better, having better visuals/audio and was significantly longer.

For me horror games have the same problem as horror movies, they are not scary and they never have been. The best we can really hope for is that they are tense and the startles [scares] are well paced. I think DS3 hit that pretty well.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you experience any in the previous games? I know I never did, I was startled now and then but never scared.

DS3 was just as tense as previous games [especially on the right modes] and had the same level of startles. While at the same time playing better, having better visuals/audio and was significantly longer.

For me horror games have the same problem as horror movies, they are not scary and they never have been. The best we can really hope for is that they are tense and the startles [scares] are well paced. I think DS3 hit that pretty well.

The first game had me on edge the majority of the time. But, then again, you didn't really know what to expect. It seemed like the surprises were pretty constant and they were varied. (Sometimes something huge would punch through a window as you walked past, tentacles would grab your leg unexpectedly and start dragging you away, etc...) And then there was the ending.

The second game made me jump a few times but most of those jumps were caused by random items in the environment. Never the enemies. The few scares from enemies that you could potentially receive in the second game were all courtesy of flashbacks to areas you'd visited previously. Nothing really spooked me at all in the third game. I never even jumped. Items like the pinball machine are painfully obvious, enemies emerge almost exclusively from vents, etc... It kind of feels like they were too wrapped up in the combat to focus on adding even a few cheap scares this time around. :(

The first game had me on edge the majority of the time. But, then again, you didn't really know what to expect. It seemed like the surprises were pretty constant and they were varied. (Sometimes something huge would punch through a window as you walked past, tentacles would grab your leg unexpectedly and start dragging you away, etc...) And then there was the ending.

The second game made me jump a few times but most of those jumps were caused by random items in the environment. Never the enemies. The few scares from enemies that you could potentially receive in the second game were all courtesy of flashbacks to areas you'd visited previously. Nothing really spooked me at all in the third game. I never even jumped. Items like the pinball machine are painfully obvious, enemies emerge almost exclusively from vents, etc... It kind of feels like they were too wrapped up in the combat to focus on adding even a few cheap scares this time around. :(

The pinball machine jumped me bad. I didn't notice it when I was moving through the room.

Lol, yeah, that pinball machine got me good! The vents were waaaay overused here. I can kinda go for them constantly being used in buildings and on ships, but the ice vents were a step too far.

I remember seeing the vents in the ice caves and yelling "Seriously, wtf?" at the TV. That is the most absurd thing ever. They had the new system of enemies popping out from the snow and still chose stupid vents.

I remember seeing the vents in the ice caves and yelling "Seriously, wtf?" at the TV. That is the most absurd thing ever. They had the new system of enemies popping out from the snow and still chose stupid vents.

But even when they were popping out of the snow, you almost always saw them coming from the snow jumping around on the ground where they were underneath. Pretty much ruined the tension in the game. Only thing that gave me that tense feeling was the regenerating necromorphs. Still hate them!

loud noises to scare the player are so cheap. I agree the vents and the snow bits were so over used. you knew what was going to help. See a vent, you know a monster is going to pop out etc

The new DLC looks like what DS3 should of been but no way I'm buying the game and the dlc unless the point out more quality DLC

Sure I'll bitch about co-op so more. the game DOESN'T NEED IT.

I mean really? Does it really need it? Why can't you people play alone?

If the game doesn't rely on co-op as a integral feature then it's de facto tacked on. If it is tacked on, it's just a business stratagem.

Social gaming is a plague. It's infected virtually every single platform, genre, and franchise imaginable.

It's definitely tacked on as it was a business strategy by EA that all of their titles will be multiplayer in some sense. That way they can force gamers to pay an additional $10 when buying used, and they can introduce micro-transactions, DLC, etc. With that said, I just finished up single player and, other than being as easy as a Lego's game, the co-op didn't seem to interfere with the game in any real sense, other than the co-op partner showing up in somewhat odd ways at key moments when they weren't really part of the story.

It's definitely tacked on as it was a business strategy by EA that all of their titles will be multiplayer in some sense. That way they can force gamers to pay an additional $10 when buying used, and they can introduce micro-transactions, DLC, etc. With that said, I just finished up single player and, other than being as easy as a Lego's game, the co-op didn't seem to interfere with the game in any real sense, other than the co-op partner showing up in somewhat odd ways at key moments when they weren't really part of the story.

The co-op isn't tacked on, play the whole game co-op and there's quite a lot more dialogue as there's some good banter going on between Carver and Isaac.

Co-op really changes things up and makes for a very interesting alternative playthrough as well as the co-op specific side missions where carver sees and hears things that Isaac doesn't.

The co-op isn't tacked on, play the whole game co-op and there's quite a lot more dialogue as there's some good banter going on between Carver and Isaac.

Co-op really changes things up and makes for a very interesting alternative playthrough as well as the co-op specific side missions where carver sees and hears things that Isaac doesn't.

We can agree to disagree. From a single player perspective, it causes a few odd situations where Carver doesn't really fit in or pops up and says something when you didn't even realize he was there (single player plays as though he's there with you all along, even though he's not). In addition, co-op locks you out of areas (co-op only sections) that should have been available to the single player.

In addition, co-op locks you out of areas (co-op only sections) that should have been available to the single player.

It wouldn't have made any sense at all to do those sections in singleplayer unless they made Carver an AI partner, even then it would have been stupid cause we wouldn't see what he was seeing [enemies, toy soldiers, party decorations, the lot.] It would have just been nothing more than us having to protect an AI from attack like with Nicole in DS1.

My biggest gripe is the dramatic increase in the necromorphs' speed. I thought I was just rusty or something, but after reading this thread I'm not the only one who disliked this. I 100% the first two games and was wondering why I was getting my ass kicked so badly in this one lol.

Also 11 day one items? I think I'm done with games for a while. Got plenty to keep me occupied, and I'll just wait it out to see if devs stop pulling this BS. Season passes, day 1 DLC, DLC that's already on disc...

My biggest gripe is the dramatic increase in the necromorphs' speed. I thought I was just rusty or something, but after reading this thread I'm not the only one who disliked this. I 100% the first two games and was wondering why I was getting my ass kicked so badly in this one lol.

Also 11 day one items? I think I'm done with games for a while. Got plenty to keep me occupied, and I'll just wait it out to see if devs stop pulling this BS. Season passes, day 1 DLC, DLC that's already on disc...

I'm no fan of season passes, day 1 DLC and DLC disc, but it's harsh to lump DS3 in with games that do that (apologies if you aren't doing that, it just comes across that way to me). The DLC available from day 1 is actually just pointless items. Extra weapons, suits etc. Not like it's full DLC with achievements. And Awakened wasn't on this disc already, plus no season pass for DS3.

Can't say the speed increase bothered me that much. Made it more of a challenge in some places but that's a good thing I think.

Slower enemies in the first two games (especially the first), gave me a sense of slowly being suffocated...

As if the necromorphs were saying "we don't need to rush, Isaac. We're on a ship. There's nowhere for you to run. We'll get you eventually, Isaac. Count on it"

Which was sometimes broken up by the Brute charging at you, or a tentacle dragging you away... Both of which were actually slow, but because of the size of the Brute, and the inevitability of the tentacle dragging you to your doom... They felt really panicy. Inevitability also works as a good description of the Immortal.

In contrast, I *never* felt that pressure from any enemy in DS3... Not even from the immortals.

Slow methodical enemies make horror (ie Alien)

Fast zergy enemies make action (ie Aliens)

I'm no fan of season passes, day 1 DLC and DLC disc, but it's harsh to lump DS3 in with games that do that (apologies if you aren't doing that, it just comes across that way to me). The DLC available from day 1 is actually just pointless items. Extra weapons, suits etc. Not like it's full DLC with achievements. And Awakened wasn't on this disc already, plus no season pass for DS3.

Can't say the speed increase bothered me that much. Made it more of a challenge in some places but that's a good thing I think.

In a way I kinda was lumping it in there. I get really bothered by online passes. I mean, we already have to pay to play online, and now if we don't buy a game new, we have to buy codes to play it. My first time experiencing this was Mass Effect 2, and thought it was cheap, now lots of games are like that. DS3 wasn't as offensive as having Javik as a day one DLC character for ME3. I know RE5 Versus mode was already on disc, so I assume other devs do that as well.

And as a correction, I meant online passes, not season passes lol

In a way I kinda was lumping it in there. I get really bothered by online passes. I mean, we already have to pay to play online, and now if we don't buy a game new, we have to buy codes to play it. My first time experiencing this was Mass Effect 2, and thought it was cheap, now lots of games are like that. DS3 wasn't as offensive as having Javik as a day one DLC character for ME3. I know RE5 Versus mode was already on disc, so I assume other devs do that as well.

And as a correction, I meant online passes, not season passes lol

Ah, that makes more sense then. Yes I hate online passes, but I guess they've done their job with me because I refuse to buy online-pass games second hand. Although, with most, buying new is still cheaper anyway unless the game is really new.

Other devs do put DLC on disc then release the DLC a month down the line, Visceral didn't with DS3 though, Awakened was a 1.14GB download.