Survival Guide (Youtube coming soon)

III Vesper III

Sup, Many people have yet to achieve this even though this game has been out for so long and there hasn't been any concrete consistant

guide out yet. Im going to give my best shot on giving a very consistant and easy guide to accomplishing this.

So let's get started, First were going to use Hayate.

======================================================================================================

Legend

P = Punch

K = Kick

F = Free

- = Then (waiting after your initial hit)

QCF = Quarter circle forward

I'll write the directions you use in a numpad format

Examples

8P = Up plus P

3FK = Downforward plus Free and Kick at the same time.

66 = Tap forward forward

QCFP = Quarter circle forward punch

=========================================================================================================

Things to do and know before you start that will help you:

1. Using a fresh file, This way you will get to choose NOT to update your DOA4 because many charactors such as Hayate, Are

much more overpowered than they already are. Few examples include his 8P launching even if its not a counter hit. And his

3FK - K - P Combo launching them up thus allowing no room for the cpu to counter you.

Also this will erase all your extra charactors so you don't have to face counter happy people such as Leon or Ein. Since you can't select them

the cpu can't either.

2. If you are determined enough to use a fresh file, I suggest unlocking Genfu because he uses predictable combos and their always

mids. So facing him in survival should be a freebe.

3. Have the lifebar set to Largest, Many people say it takes skill to win this. I think its random and luck the cpu can counter you 3 times in

a row even if you change your attack patterns. Setting to largest will make this take a hell of alot longer but atleast you won't lose because

the cpu countered u 3 times in a row. Also health items will be more potent since you have more life to recover.

4. If you lose, reset your game back to the dashboard. Its not fact but for me it seems as if the computer has your last game saved and

already has your moves figured out.

5. Pausing the game when u face the 27th,47th,77th opponent. Since your on the largest life bar this will be time consuming, Also the

LAST 3 opponents of every 10th increment 7th,17th,27th,37th etc. Will be like a "super" mode type which will counter you more often, and

block more often. You don't want to panic when they counter you or block you and you start spamming p-p or k-k-k cause your not sure what to do.

You will get countered 90% of the time. When you pause, take a break grab some water and walk around a bit, call your friend, or watch some Bleach

to get your mind of the game.

6. Do not panic, It's very easy to get nervous when your on a roll. I made it to 97 wins once and 99 wins, And lost because I got nervous

and did the P-P-P string cause I was thinking of inputing something fast when I was getting attacked. When you reach that high amount of

wins you will get countered for doing the same type of attack twice much more often. Stick to the plan and if you start shaking up don't

be afraid to pause the game.

7. Do not counter unless its genfu or bass ( I'll explain later on ) This is about consistancy and even if your an advanced player and you know

what their going to do next, understand theres a reason why you haven't got this achievement yet. The cpu is random, they input their attacks slowly

if you have noticed. The reason they do this is because it waits for you to input a counter, when that happens the cpu recognizes that then switches

its attack string. Basically the cpu has an unfair advantage over you.

This can severly mess you up if you countered incorrectly because sometimes they will restart another chain and input lethal damage and end

it all. Just sit back and take the hits then recover. You have a large lifebar, you want to lose because of badluck not because of a mistake.

=========================================================================================================

Alright its time to get familar with Hayate. Basically your only going to use these fairly easy combos. Hit up sparring mode and get these Aced

10/10 times.

8P - PP 6P k

8P - PPP 7K

These will be your juggle finishers the top one is your 100% juggle that works on all weight type charactors use this when you think their

not launched high enough.

The second is your more damaging one. Yes I understand there is more damaging juggles but consistancy is key.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Now im going to explain your bread and butter combo make sure your on the wrestling stage and have your opponent close to the ropes.

QCF P - PP (pause) PP (pause) P - 8P - PPP 7K

So you start off with QCF P which does your dashing punch attack. They will hit the ropes and stumble towards you. Do a quick dash towards them then

Tap punch punch. Wait half a second tap punch punch again... wait half a second then press punch then launch them with 8P.

Then follow up with your PPP 7K finisher.

Keep in mind that the PP (pause) PP (pause) P - 8P - PPP 7K combo works after they collide with the ropes so don't forget to input it when you hit them

with any type of attack that causes this, Meaning theres many other moves that make them collide with the ropes.

Another variation is

66P - P - PP (pause) PP (pause) P - 8P - PPP 7K

Tapping forward forward punch causes hayate to do another type of dashing punch. Now remember that when the first hit of this hits it could smash them

on the ropes right then and there so don't press punch again cause that will end the combo ( 2 rope smashes max ) instead start the

PP (pause) PP (pause) P - 8P - PPP 7K segmant right after. If they block the initial P after the 66P, then press punch again and it might knock them in the ropes

starting the combo anyways.

If the initial 66P hits, and their not colliding with the ropes then press P again and continue the combo as written.

DO NOT use QCF K as your opener

I know its just as good but if the cpu counters it, basically they will do a dodge animation and your back will be turned towards the cpu. Which puts you in a bad

momentum swing if they start a combo. Id rather be countered and put on the floor then eat a huge combo.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

2FK - 8P - PP 6P K

2FK - 8P - PPP 7K

Hayate's Sweep. Another simple combo that you will be abusing alot, the cpu rarely counters a low hit and if you didn't download the update then the 8P will launch them afterwards.

This should be one of your most abusable moves.

2K K

A low kick into a roundhouse, this is good as well when their near the ropes, initially does a low then smashes them into the ropes. Afterwards you can follow up into your

PP (pause) PP (pause) P - 8P - PPP 7K chain.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

3FK K P

This is your panic combo, use this when u get nervous or don't know what to do. It hits high, then low, then mid - perfect for survival. What is even better is that it smashes them into

the ropes starting your PP (pause) PP (pause) P - 8P - PPP 7K chain.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

(When knocked down) 2K - 8P - PPP 7K

Whenever you get knocked down just laydown till the cpu comes towards you, they rarely counter you when you do this giving u a free juggle everytime. If they do their leap smash on you

oh well, doesnt do that much damage on large lifebar anyways.

============================================================================================================================

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright its pretty much that simple these were the only real combos I did to complete survival on both tag and single.

So let me summarise your combos.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

OPENERS (what you will be using to smash them in the ropes)

QCF P

66P P

3FK K P

2K K

++++++++++++++++++++++

BREAD AND BUTTER (After smashing them in the ropes)

PP (pause) PP (pause) P - 8P (Keep in mind that sometimes you might have to dash towards depending on how are you are after you smash them)

++++++++++++++++++++++

JUGGLE FINISHERS (After your bread and butter combo)

(8P) PPP 7K

(8P) PP 6P K (incase their too big and their going to land too soon)

++++++++++++++++++++++

ABUSABLE (Your general pattern of playstyle)

3FK K P (Whenever you're losing momentum and not sure what to do, its your panic combo)

2FK (Your sweep)

If their not near the ropes then follow your sweep with 8P PPP 7K

If they are by the ropes then follow it with 2K K (smashing them in the ropes) and begin your bread and butter.

++++++++++++++++++++++

WHEN KNOCKED DOWN ON THE FLOOR

2K (Sweep) follow it with 8P and begin your juggle

+++++++++++++++++++++++

OTHER NOTE WORTHY COMBOS

PP 2K P

PPKK

6P K

66P 2K

The top 3 are alternative ways to smash into the ropes. The last is a variation of your opener that sweeps.

====================================================================================================================================

Alright now you have your combos and you aced them all 10/10 so let me explain what your survival playstyle should look like.

Match starts, QCF P... 66P P begin your bread and butter, then launch and juggle. Then sweep (2FK), 2K K (smashes them again) Begin your bread and butter again. This is pretty

much the nutshell of my entire survival session.

Abuse 2FK then 2K K ALOT the computer doesn't seem to catch on to this.

Abuse 66P P ALOT remember to pause after the first hit sometimes it will smash them if their too close on the first punch, if they block then press punch again.

And don't forget to use 3FK K P as your panic combo when your not sure what to do when the computer has you locked down.

When fighting Genfu counter MID (4F) very often when he has you in his string.

When figthing bass counter MID K (6F) very often when he has you in his string.

Do not try to counter on other charactors or try to throw, you want consistancy.

Alright that should get you started untill I release a video on youtube. As for tag I honestly didn't really learn a second charactor I just won tag with Hayate alone (lost my second guy

on the 42nd then just did it with Hayate all the way to 100).

I'm sure I missed some stuff, but im pretty tired. I'll add more to this after I get some sleep.

• 2 weeks later...

That was a really well put together guide Vesper, I'm really impressed. I'm going to have to look over it again a time or two just to make sure I'm fully understanding what you say, but I have faith since you have obviously done these achievements. Good thing I have a VF5 stick so things are going to be a lot smoother.

Most likely going to do a 3 part Single Survival section. From 1 - 100

Then I'm going to let my first character die at the start in Tag Survival. But honestly that is alot of footage so I will probly just do 1 attempt at tag but ill make sure I put in as much footage for single since it seems to be the most difficult of the 2.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well done Vesper!

I've copied this and pasted it into a notepad, and I've saved it on my computer (of course). I'll check on this later, I don't really have time now.

Post the youtubelinks here in this thread, will you?

God Night

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Very well-done guide, and great resource. The Gold and 100-win achievements for survival were the only ones giving me trouble, aside from the SS rank type stuff of course. I haven't played DoA4 since back when I got my system, four or five months ago. This makes me wanna pick it up again. I'd always used Ein for survival, but always considered using Hayate. Too bad they weakened him like that with the patch, and I don't have the patience to do everything over again without it.

EDIT: Actually, come to think of it, I have the Platinum Hits version. So the patch was already included in the game, as far as I remember. The only update it ever gave me was for the online battle section specifically. But none for the overall game, which surprised me back then. Before I realized that the Platinum versions include the newest build of the game available at the time they're printed.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is probably just me being stupid, but what do you mean about starting with a fresh file? If the game is patched (which mine is) isn't it patched permanently (unless I use a new memory unit)? How do I do this while keeping the rest of my achievements? I don't even understand how to do this while keeping my PROFILE. Can you explain that part please? Is it too late for me to do this if I already patched?

This is probably just me being stupid, but what do you mean about starting with a fresh file? If the game is patched (which mine is) isn't it patched permanently (unless I use a new memory unit)? How do I do this while keeping the rest of my achievements? I don't even understand how to do this while keeping my PROFILE. Can you explain that part please? Is it too late for me to do this if I already patched?

If I understand correctly, It is possible to remove the patches by going to the dashboard > system > memory > once there hit this button combo ( x,x,LB,RB,xx - I think that is right can't remember :confused:) to remove all game updates. I don't know if this has changed since NXE. Plus it wont remove the updates from your disc if you have the platinum edition.

Okay, I'll try that later. I'll have to re-download all the patches for all my games afterward, right?

Also, will this strategy work at all on a patched game?

Yea just sign back into live on the dashboard and your achievements will update or do it while in the game but then you update first.

This strategy should work its just Hayate is stronger before the patch.

• 4 months later...