A small PSA regarding Dodging

So, I'm thinking that this might be the case for some of us. I completely misread the instructions for dodging.

The way the game phrases it is, you press Up or Down + A to dodge.

The way I read it is, you can press Up + A to dodge, or Down + A to dodge. That is incorrect, you just press Up by itself (it's like parrying in Street Fighter 3 except with a third-person shooter perspective.)

After realizing this, dodging has been a lot easier for me and I can almost do it whenever I want. Down + A of course requires the A button press, that is still correct. You also can't be aiming while attempting to dodge, from information I've gathered online.

So yeah. There's a tip for you all. Maybe I'm the only person that thought it was Up + A, but hey, a bit of public embarrassment for me could go a long way for somebody else in the same situation.

So, I'm thinking that this might be the case for some of us. I completely misread the instructions for dodging.

The way the game phrases it is, you press Up or Down + A to dodge.

The way I read it is, you can press Up + A to dodge, or Down + A to dodge. That is incorrect, you just press Up by itself (it's like parrying in Street Fighter 3 except with a third-person shooter perspective.)

After realizing this, dodging has been a lot easier for me and I can almost do it whenever I want. Down + A of course requires the A button press, that is still correct. You also can't be aiming while attempting to dodge, from information I've gathered online.

So yeah. There's a tip for you all. Maybe I'm the only person that thought it was Up + A, but hey, a bit of public embarrassment for me could go a long way for somebody else in the same situation.

Yeah it was just up or down or left or right to evade in that direction.

I'm pretty sure it says "A" when explaining. I know we don't need to do it like that, but why does it show it then?

Especially the DOWN+A, which is a 180 turn around. Which is beyond ridiculous cuz if an enemy swings at you & you do that, it's like saying "here monster, hit me in my back".

So in general, it is just timing of moving the stick when they attack?

Also, sometimes I swear I dodged while just pressing the RT.

It really wouldn't be surprise me if there are some alternative dodge commands that the game doesn't tell you about. Resident Evil 3 was the same way, where dodging was supposed to be tied to the quick-turn button, but I believe the R buttons would also work. I took a quick look around while researching Revelations' dodge command, and only one guide on GameFAQs lists the R buttons as an alternate for RE3.

As far as I'm aware, for Revelations, the guaranteed commands are:

Up,

Down + A,

and that's that. I have also heard what DeaDpOoL xx is saying, where as long as you tap the stick in a direction you will dodge, but I haven't confirmed it myself.

And regarding your RT comment, as long as you aren't aiming you should be able to dodge. The game specifically notes that you can dodge while reloading...The melee animation is very fast, so I wouldn't be surprised if you can dodge during it.

i never had it work by using A too, but it always seems to work if i tap RT at the same time (although it could just be the up/down working and not the RT)

in game menu fooled me not only on this, but on running. it said left stick is for walking/running, so i kept trying for minutes clicking the stick to make my character sprint. could have sworn in the demo i was able to sprint but i guess i remembered wrong

It's finicky, but yeah pressing RT at the right time will cause you to dodge I've done it a bunch of times now. It's harder to do, more of a fluke than anything. You can do it while aiming as well.

Same here, when I was surrounded by enemies and I tried to knife them obviously with double :rtbut: I dodged them so many times!

I wonder if the RT thing is a carryover from Resident Evil 6's counter attacks. Again though, RE3 did use the R buttons as well so who knows.

It would be really nice if Capcom put some more care into the dodge instructions; they have a lot of space in the textbox, too!

in game menu fooled me not only on this, but on running. it said left stick is for walking/running, so i kept trying for minutes clicking the stick to make my character sprint. could have sworn in the demo i was able to sprint but i guess i remembered wrong

Nah, no sprinting, but your character does move faster the further you hold the left stick. It can be kind of touchy when picking between the higher speeds, you really have to keep the stick pushed up all the way.

I think Capcom just straight up goofed on their dodging instructions. I went on Casual mode just to investigate this issue, clean up a few Achievements in a swift for-fun runthrough, and stock up my inventory/ammo/etc before my Infernal playthrough.

What I found out about the dodge mechanic really makes the game kind of a joke. First of all, for regular Ooze enemies, I decided to get a little knife-centric when it came to combat. I didn't really use my knife in my first Normal playthrough, as the enemies don't flinch or react much to gunfire to the knees or face a la Ganados/Majini, so I didn't really see much opportunity to get into close proximity. I also wasn't used to this game's mechanics just yet so I wasn't quite sure on what was the appropriate distance where my knife would hit the enemy, but I could back out of the attack quite easily.

Well, I got used to the mechanics and enemies during my first playthrough and after a few hours of Raid Mode, so I decided to fool around with in on Casual. I'd stay just outside of the enemy's field of attack, which was just within mine, and slowly back up as they approached, knifing them all the while. What I found is that quite often, the distance failed me - the enemy would lunge at me and start sucking my neck or whatever, but it seemed like I would dodge it about half the time. That intrigued me, as I wasn't even touching the A button - just the trigger.

I played with that a bit, and developed the technique of wiggling the stick while knifing up close to an enemy - my character would be kind of circle strafing without going anywhere. Now the enemies always go for a lunge, but I ALWAYS dodge it. I swear to god, the right trigger plus tweaking the left thumbstick at the right time is the key to this mechanic - it has nothing to do with the A button.

RT + Left stick + right timing = RE Rev's dodge mechanic.

I got to the first Terragrigia level as Parker, and found that this mechanic is exploitable to the point that you can back a Hunter into the corner and whittle away at him with a knife, and he's powerless to stop you because you are apparently Dodge God now.