Microsoft congratulate Sony on the launch of the PS4

Crimson Ridley

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/microsoft-congratulates-sony-on-ps4-launch/1100-6416208/

This was wonderful to see. Both Sony and Microsoft have really shown that for all of the off-handed remarks and digs at each other, they both really respect each other. It's a beautiful thing, and perhaps it should be seen as a wake-up call for the fans to stop all of this petty squabbling over which console is better, who has a better camera, better resolution and better exclusives when all it comes down to at its basic elements is they are consoles to be enjoyed by those that buy them.

I've been guilty of getting a little hot headed in console debates, but if Microsoft and Sony can show they can put rivalries aside to give praise to one another, then why are we fighting amongst each other to prove our allegiance to a particular brand? It's downright silly.

We're gamers, some of us more than others, but we all have a common interest. All that matters is that we are playing the games we want, or experiencing the features we have on our consoles, regardless of who has made it. If it keeps us entertained, then it's a successful console.

I'm going to take this moment to apologise to anyone that I have annoyed with my petty remarks about the Xbox One, and I hope that when you get yours home next week that you have many fantastic hours with it. Gaming truly is a thing of beauty, and we as fans should not ruin that.

Congratulations to Sony on what seems to be a successful launch, and good luck to Micorosoft next week! :D

EDIT: Try to avoid the comments on that article, as it's quite quickly devolved in to a shit slinging match. Typical Gamespot really.

Sony did the same:

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/11/22/sonys-shuhei-yoshida-and-adam-boyes-congratulate-microsoft-on-xbox-ones-launch/

Edited by Crimson Ridley

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Major Nelson had some kind words for Sony on Twitter when The Last of Us released too, which was cool. It's great to see this kind of interaction but the truth is most of these guys are friends behind the scenes anyway and have probably known each other for years. It's the ignorant fans that carry on the stupidity.

Of course, there is a subliminal message in Microsoft employees and their official social media pages congratulating Sony and a few of their big boys on the launch of the PS4. I wish these people would lose their income and be forced to sell the only console they can afford!

Publishers have done it in the past. Developers do it too. It may seem like one is taking a stab at the other or trying to stay relevant, but there are people in the industry who are genuinely fans of someone else's work. They are also friends. Why do people find this hard to swallow?

Slightly off-topic, but look at Shuhei Yoshida on Twitter and watch interviews with him. One of those people in the industry who respects the industry and doesn't shit all over it.

I saw the msg's between Larry and Yoshida last night, made me quite happy. I am glad Sony's launch is going well, a lot more smoothly than I expect so far lol, hopefully ours goes smooth next week too :)

I heard they had a small problem with connecting to PSN to begin with, and I expect a similar thing to happen on LIVE with so many people connecting to a new online architecture, but otherwise it's gone incredibly well. I expect Microsoft to have a similar launch, as I can't see there being any major issues cropping up. :)

Buzz, I hope you don't think I don't understand this. I just like to see this kind of stuff. I know many developers appreciate the work of others, such as Volition gushing over GTA V not long back. It's not difficult so swallow, it just shows that fanboys make the worst out of things when the actual companies themselves are getting along fine.

Edited by Crimson Ridley

Major Nelson had some kind words for Sony on Twitter when The Last of Us released too, which was cool. It's great to see this kind of interaction but the truth is most of these guys are friends behind the scenes anyway and have probably known each other for years. It's the ignorant fans that carry on the stupidity.

Yep. I've said it before and I'll keep saying it. There's nothing wrong with fanboyism, unless it fuels hatred for people who have different opinions. It's the same with racism, religions, etc. Any kind of group mentality that ends up focusing hatred on another group is just stupid.

It's the calm before the storm o_o The first team is on the field and enjoying the limelight. Soon the second team will be doing the same. Than the Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny shall begin!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WgT9gy4zQA]The Ultimate Showdown (with MP3 ♫) - YouTube[/ame]

It is cool to see them giving the metaphorical handshake. All things considered, Sony and Microsoft have been very cooperative with each other over the years. Sony pushes the hardware and Microsoft backs it up with the software, as is often the case with system like the Sony Vaio. If anything, I see it more like Mission Control at NASA. Everything is tense and everybody is real nervous, but as soon as that rover lands safely on Mars, it doesn't matter if you've never said two words to the guy next to you before. You're shaking his hand and hugging the shit out of each other. The PS4 touching down is that Mars Rover touching down. With it on the market, the next generation has officially begun and it has been a long time coming.

I saw the msg's between Larry and Yoshida last night, made me quite happy. I am glad Sony's launch is going well, a lot more smoothly than I expect so far lol, hopefully ours goes smooth next week too :)

I heard there's a case of BLOD (Blue light of death), many people are reporting that they're console don't even boot up, they're just broken. Search it up.

I heard there's a case of BLOD (Blue light of death), many people are reporting that they're console don't even boot up, they're just broken. Search it up.

There is also RLoD. The blue line turns red when the console is overheating. And there are reports of this happening to consoles right out of the box.

Oh, and also the WLoD. There are three different colors of a dying machine. -.-

There is also RLoD. The blue line turns red when the console is overheating. And there are reports of this happening to consoles right out of the box.

Oh, and also the WLoD. There are three different colors of a dying machine. -.-

RLoD = Overheating

WLoD = HDMI issues

BLoD = Hardware failure AKA RROD equivalent.

Atleast that's what I've gathered. Many consoles are apparently arriving DOA (dead on arrival). Let's hope the X1 doesn't have these problems.

RLoD = Overheating

WLoD = HDMI issues

Atleast that's what I've gathered. Many consoles are apparently arriving DOA (dead on arrival). Let's hope the X1 doesn't have these problems.

I just realized that Sony's different colors of failure are the US colors. 'MERICUH!

That would explain why they were so focused on getting the US release and completely bypassed their own side of the world. lol.

America, fuck yeah! Comin' again to save the mother fuckin' day yeah!

America, fuck yeah! Freedom is the only way yeah!

Terrorists your game is through, 'cause now you have to answer to...

America, fuck yeah! So lick my butt and suck on my balls!

America, fuck yeah! Whatcha gonna do when we come for you now?

RLoD = Overheating

WLoD = HDMI issues

Yeah..been reading a lot of reported cases of many things, discs not ejecting, consoles overheating or simply not booting up, not working right out of the box... at first I thought...this is to be expected with a hardware launch but the volume of them seems to be a little...concerning.

Yeah..been reading a lot of reported cases of many things, discs not ejecting, consoles overheating or simply not booting up, not working right out of the box... at first I thought...this is to be expected with a hardware launch but the volume of them seems to be a little...concerning.

I don't know if it's just that more people are "connected" now than they were in 2005/2006, but you're right ... it does seem like the amount of issues with the PS4 are HIGH.

Even though it was only 8 years ago, not everyone had smart phones and high speed internet ... so it took a bit of TIME for word on the 360 RRoD issues to really make the rounds and become known. Now, everyone has toaster ovens with more internet connectivity than most phones had in 2005.

Could just be that with everyone being more "connected" it's easier to pick out the cases of things going wrong. It's estimated that around 2-3 MILLION PS4's were sold last night ... so it's hard to tell just how big of a problem these things are.

Also ... the OVERHEATING may be an issue, but as long as you don't do anything stupid (like the morons trying to use freezers/refrigerators to cool them more quickly), it's not really a huge PROBLEM. It might mean you have to figure out a place to put the PS4 that is near a vent, near a window, not enclosed, put a fan nearby, etc.

The really weird thing is, some people are having overheating after 2 hours of play, others say they basically played all DAY and didn't have any issues.

Now, the WLoD/BLoD are actually PROBLEMS. Those are much bigger issues. Also the crashing/freezing that the 1.5 update is suspected to be the cause of ... that's an ISSUE, not a problem. They can fix that. I'm not sure if they can "fix" the overheating issue. If it becomes a problem like it did with the 360's RRoD, then they're definitely going to have to deal with it like a problem.

This is what happens when you adopt a new console right out of the gate; you're more likely to get a dodgy console.

The issues they are having isn't sky high, as there's only a very tiny percentage of people being affected. People like to jump on the bandwagon and blow things way out of proportion. "Oh, my PS4 is a bit warm, it must be overheating". It's a shame that some people are having problems, but nothing is perfect and it's still a success because only a very small minority are affected. Microsoft will find they'll have a similar situation and further batches of consoles will hopefully stamp out these issues.

I don't know if it's just that more people are "connected" now than they were in 2005/2006, but you're right ... it does seem like the amount of issues with the PS4 are HIGH.

Even though it was only 8 years ago, not everyone had smart phones and high speed internet ... so it took a bit of TIME for word on the 360 RRoD issues to really make the rounds and become known. Now, everyone has toaster ovens with more internet connectivity than most phones had in 2005.

Could just be that with everyone being more "connected" it's easier to pick out the cases of things going wrong. It's estimated that around 2-3 MILLION PS4's were sold last night ... so it's hard to tell just how big of a problem these things are.

Also ... the OVERHEATING may be an issue, but as long as you don't do anything stupid (like the morons trying to use freezers/refrigerators to cool them more quickly), it's not really a huge PROBLEM. It might mean you have to figure out a place to put the PS4 that is near a vent, near a window, not enclosed, put a fan nearby, etc.

The really weird thing is, some people are having overheating after 2 hours of play, others say they basically played all DAY and didn't have any issues.

Now, the WLoD/BLoD are actually PROBLEMS. Those are much bigger issues. Also the crashing/freezing that the 1.5 update is suspected to be the cause of ... that's an ISSUE, not a problem. They can fix that. I'm not sure if they can "fix" the overheating issue. If it becomes a problem like it did with the 360's RRoD, then they're definitely going to have to deal with it like a problem.

The overheating is an issue. The first thing a PS4 does when it is plugged in and turned on straight out of the box is should not be to overheat like some are.

This is what happens when you adopt a new console right out of the gate; you're more likely to get a dodgy console.

The issues they are having isn't sky high, as there's only a very tiny percentage of people being affected. People like to jump on the bandwagon and blow things way out of proportion. "Oh, my PS4 is a bit warm, it must be overheating". It's a shame that some people are having problems, but nothing is perfect and it's still a success because only a very small minority are affected. Microsoft will find they'll have a similar situation and further batches of consoles will hopefully stamp out these issues.

Obviously the person who filmed his overheating PS4 was complaining because it worked just fine and the flashing red light and the useless console meant nothing. There are consoles that literally don't work right out of the box, have faulty HDMI connections, have failing GPUs, or are constantly overheating after minutes to a couple hours of use.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-4-Support/bd-p/22090

Edited by xhunterrrr

The overheating is an issue. The first thing a PS4 does when it is plugged in and turned on straight out of the box is should not be to overheat like some are.

Obviously the person who filmed his overheating PS4 was complaining because it worked just fine and the flashing red light and the useless console meant nothing. There are consoles that literally don't work right out of the box, have faulty HDMI connections, have failing GPUs, or are constantly overheating after minutes to a couple hours of use.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-4-Support/bd-p/22090

I've seen, but that's been the case with the 360 for years. It's hardware, and some hardware just ceases to work. It's very annoying, but they'll send it back and get another, probably with a little gesture of goodwill too.

Again, the internet is filled with millions of people, so even if 10,000 have issues, that's still not a failure by Sony. It's enough to get them to notice, and work on sorting it out, but it's not a flop.

Many more people had issues with the 360, and it's going to be this way with most hardware. Some just haven't had enough testing, or were missed and sent out. What are you going to say when 10,000 people report problems with the Xbox One?

Edited by Crimson Ridley

You sure do like running around the forums shouting, "Guys, Sony fucked it this time!", don't you?

You must be new to these forums.

OT: Articles like these are always good to read. Even though the two are rivals, it's nice to see that they respect each other enough not to hold any ill will towards each other with the launch of their respective consoles.

Edited by Rapture639

I've seen, but that's been the case with the 360 for years. It's hardware, and some hardware just ceases to work. It's very annoying, but they'll send it back and get another, probably with a little gesture of goodwill too.

You sure do like running around the forums shouting, "Guys, Sony fucked it this time!", don't you?

Again, the internet is filled with millions of people, so even if 10,000 have issues, that's still not a failure by Sony. It's enough to get them to notice, and work on sorting it out, but it's not a flop.

Many more people had issues with the 360, and it's going to be this way with most hardware. Some just haven't had enough testing, or were missed and sent out. What are you going to say when 10,000 people report problems with the Xbox One?

Why do people feel the need to run around spouting the 360's issues. It's irrelevant I think. The original Xbox to my memory didn't have overwhelming problems so it's not like every console they did was a failure from launch. I got the red ring on my first console (got it replaced no problem, mind you).

I bought the Slim when it was released and it has lasted 4 years without fault. Not one fault.

This is a different generation. Sony should be held accountable for this error, as minute as it may be. If consoles are overheating out the box then it is a pretty big design flaw.

I don't wish this fate upon anybody. Even the fanboys who I loathe so much. They need to be accountable for their errors. Simple as that.

I've seen Walter go on about the maturity of the PS3 community. Well, on the articles I've seen about these problems, the most bog-standard response is "well, I bet it will happen to the X1". Fuck me...

I know every PS user isn't like that but there appears to be a lot of them. Same went for their launch reviews. Either MS paid them off, the reviewer was retarded or my favorite... "The X1 launch games will get lower" They then proceed to list their laughable predictions.

I'm over it, I'll get a PS4 when The Order comes out. Until then, there is nothing that interests me personally.

I do love Shuhei Yoshida though. Great guy.

Why do people feel the need to run around spouting the 360's issues. It's irrelevant I think. The original Xbox to my memory didn't have overwhelming problems so it's not like every console they did was a failure from launch. I got the red ring on my first console (got it replaced no problem, mind you).

I bought the Slim when it was released and it has lasted 4 years without fault. Not one fault.

This is a different generation. Sony should be held accountable for this error, as minute as it may be. If consoles are overheating out the box then it is a pretty big design flaw.

I don't wish this fate upon anybody. Even the fanboys who I loathe so much. They need to be accountable for their errors. Simple as that.

I've seen Walter go on about the maturity of the PS3 community. Well, on the articles I've seen about these problems, the most bog-standard response is "well, I bet it will happen to the X1". Fuck me...

I know every PS user isn't like that but there appears to be a lot of them. Same went for their launch reviews. Either MS paid them off, the reviewer was retarded or my favorite... "The X1 launch games will get lower" They then proceed to list their laughable predictions.

I'm over it, I'll get a PS4 when The Order comes out. Until then, there is nothing that interests me personally.

I do love Shuhei Yoshida though. Great guy.

I don't think your first paragraph was aimed directly at me, but I wasn't saying that Microsoft's consoles fail, I was merely remarking that hardware occasionally releases imperfect. I wouldn't wish failures on anyone but it's just something that happens from time to time.

I remember getting a PS2 for Christmas one year and it was dead straight out of the box. Yeah, I was pissed and it was the silver model so I had to wait a little while to get another, but I accepted that these things can happen.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love that these things didn't happen, and Sony is responsible for it, but people shouldn't be grabbing the pitchforks and getting ready to burn them.

The PS3 community is FAR from mature. There are some real pricks on this site, but wander around PS3T for an hour and you'll think that this site is full of saints! The level of fanboyism and nasty comments is ridiculous over there.

Launch games rarely get fantastic reviews, unless it was released by Nintendo 15-20 years ago, but there will only be a few genuinely bad ones for both consoles. The fact is, a launch game is not always an accurate representation of how good the console is. It's just testing the waters.

Edited by Crimson Ridley

How nice of Microsoft, i'm guessing Major Nelson was trolling. but i honestly don't see how Sony's launch is successful.

lol look at the amazon day 1 edition complaints.

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-4-Launch-Edition/product-reviews/B00BGA9WK2/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

I'm pretty sure a good chunk of the positive 5 star reviews are from corporate sock puppets and not real amazon users. the proof is when they did buy something they have the "Amazon Verified Purchase" under their names. a lot of the 5 star comments don't have that.

a shame they need to use fake accounts to sell the product.