EA Announces 'EA Access' Service for Xbox One

Maka

The program is for Xbox One games only. If you want to play any Mass Effect games again, dust off that Xbox 360 and play them on there. That is currently the only way of going about it.

I know that. But there have been rumours of an XB1 re-mastered edition, and if they turned out to be true, then playing them through this would be pretty cool.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07/30/sony-passed-on-ea-access-for-ps4-as-its-not-good-value

Does anyone else think their response is just really condescending?

"We don't think asking our fans to pay an additional $5 a month for this EA-specific program represents good value to the PlayStation gamer."

We can't decide for ourselves now?

And this...

"PlayStation Plus memberships are up more than 200 per cent since the launch of PlayStation 4, which shows that gamers are looking for memberships that offer a multitude of services, across various devices, for one low price."

No it shows that you started charging people if they wanted to play online. I have nothing against Sony really, certainly not a hater, I've owned every iteration of Playstation but their responses here just kinda bug me.

Personally I think they passed because its a direct competition to their own rental service. I also think that with EA being pretty hated, they wouldn't have expected the backlash that they've gotten so far. A fair few PS4 owners are pretty annoyed about this.

Is this through EA access? The DLC is free too?

DLC is sold separately, but at a 10% discount.

Edited by Hudson888

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This whole EA Access thing is still a bit "early" for me to weigh in one way or another.

It COULD potentially be a really great thing. Even though it's $5 a month, really at $30 a year, it's only $2.50 a month.

But ... for right now it's only 4 games (Peggle 2, Madden 25, FIFA 14, and BF4). It really depends on how often EA adds games to the "Access List".

As it is right now, I'm not sure that list is really worth the $30/yr fee. It might be worth a month or two at $5/mo, but only if there are 2-3 games out of that four that you haven't played or want the achievos from.

If they added PvZ and NFS:Rivals to that list, I'd be all for it and I'd agree the value was worth the cost. But most of EA's upcoming titles probably won't be joining that list for another year and EA really doesn't have many other titles to add to the list UNTIL then ... PvZ, NFS, NBA Live 14, and UFC (probably not anytime too soon with this one) are the only ones I can think of that are CURRENTLY released.

For those who rent games occasionally though, this is probably a much cheaper way to rent a game, snag all or most of the achievos, and maybe get another game all in a one-month subscription.

This service is, in large part, probably inspired by the fact that EA has LONG been one of the most vocal opponents to used game sales and the fact that they can't get their grubby paws on the profits of those sales. At least this way, they're profiting from their older game library which normally justs gets abandoned.

Hell, by GameStop's own admission, the most often found games in their dumpsters are 3+ year old EA Sports titles that people trade in for a measly dollar or two. They're not worth the storage costs and so they end up in a landfill or in some lucky dumpster-divers' pockets.

This whole EA Access thing is still a bit "early" for me to weigh in one way or another.

It COULD potentially be a really great thing. Even though it's $5 a month, really at $30 a year, it's only $2.50 a month.

But ... for right now it's only 4 games (Peggle 2, Madden 25, FIFA 14, and BF4). It really depends on how often EA adds games to the "Access List".

As it is right now, I'm not sure that list is really worth the $30/yr fee. It might be worth a month or two at $5/mo, but only if there are 2-3 games out of that four that you haven't played or want the achievos from.

If they added PvZ and NFS:Rivals to that list, I'd be all for it and I'd agree the value was worth the cost. But most of EA's upcoming titles probably won't be joining that list for another year and EA really doesn't have many other titles to add to the list UNTIL then ... PvZ, NFS, NBA Live 14, and UFC (probably not anytime too soon with this one) are the only ones I can think of that are CURRENTLY released.

For those who rent games occasionally though, this is probably a much cheaper way to rent a game, snag all or most of the achievos, and maybe get another game all in a one-month subscription.

This service is, in large part, probably inspired by the fact that EA has LONG been one of the most vocal opponents to used game sales and the fact that they can't get their grubby paws on the profits of those sales. At least this way, they're profiting from their older game library which normally justs gets abandoned.

Hell, by GameStop's own admission, the most often found games in their dumpsters are 3+ year old EA Sports titles that people trade in for a measly dollar or two. They're not worth the storage costs and so they end up in a landfill or in some lucky dumpster-divers' pockets.

I agree with basically everything you say. Maybe a group of new games every 6 months would be good? Or a game every other month?

for £30 I think its good value for what is there at the moment, providing you haven't already played them obviously.

I think I will probably sign up for it but just on a rolling month by month, so I can play Fifa, and maybe Madden. I would probably also sell my copy of BF4.

It's $29.99 in the US but UK pricing hasn't been announced yet, as far as I'm aware. It would translate to under £20 but I'm expecting they'll launch it in the UK at £25-£30 though.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/07/30/ea-access-is-3-99-a-month-subscription-service-for-games-4814994/

They updated the article at the bottom regarding the price. It's good that it's not a ridiculous markup like most UK products.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07/30/sony-passed-on-ea-access-for-ps4-as-its-not-good-value

Does anyone else think their response is just really condescending?

"We don't think asking our fans to pay an additional $5 a month for this EA-specific program represents good value to the PlayStation gamer."

We can't decide for ourselves now?

And this...

"PlayStation Plus memberships are up more than 200 per cent since the launch of PlayStation 4, which shows that gamers are looking for memberships that offer a multitude of services, across various devices, for one low price."

No it shows that you started charging people if they wanted to play online. I have nothing against Sony really, certainly not a hater, I've owned every iteration of Playstation but their responses here just kinda bug me.

how cna they say that lol. have you seen the prices on playstaion now?

rent ben 10 for 4 hours for what was it 5 or 6 dollars lol

F1 2013 ps3 is 50 dollars for 90 days

playstation now pricing is just stupid right now who would rent individual games they need a subscription plan at a reasonable rate. for now tho they have no right to say ea access isnt worth the value lol

I seriously want some of whatever the guys over there at Sony are smoking...

Playstation Now prices...

So $30 a year, $2.50 a month, for access to free games is not good value for your highly appreciated customers but hey nevermind cause you will rent me fucking Farming Simulator for just $10 a week...or if i am really in the mood for a bargain I can have FOUR whole hours with the mighty Ben 10 Omniverse 2 for a measly $5.

Even if EA only give you one more game per month for your $30 it's still far more value for your money than those rental prices they are schelping. What a joke.

EDIT: I somehow missed your response above Lewie, apologies for repeating pretty much what you said :p

Edited by Metabolic XBA

Just read the price for this is more in Australia of course. Makes minimal sense given it's a digital service.

#Typical

They always get us but $40 is not to bad I guess.

Okay I might give this a try but cant get it until my current games list is finished :S

$40 a year ain't bad at all. It's just a matter of which games are available at the time.

I for one would subscribe, but will wait until the big move and new internet before deciding on more premium services.

how cna they say that lol. have you seen the prices on playstaion now?

rent ben 10 for 4 hours for what was it 5 or 6 dollars lol

F1 2013 ps3 is 50 dollars for 90 days

playstation now pricing is just stupid right now who would rent individual games they need a subscription plan at a reasonable rate. for now tho they have no right to say ea access isnt worth the value lol

It's in beta for a reason.

$40 a year ain't bad at all. It's just a matter of which games are available at the time.

I for one would subscribe, but will wait until the big move and new internet before deciding on more premium services.

It's in beta for a reason.

and that makes it ok to charge ridiculous prices which at first glance shouldn't of even been considered lol

they also wont get much testing done if no one has to spend huge amounts of money for ps3 games

seriously beta or not those prices are not defensible

EDIT: I somehow missed your response above Lewie, apologies for repeating pretty much what you said :p

no worries man its all good haha

Edited by Lewie B I ReQ

and that makes it ok to charge ridiculous prices which at first glance shouldn't of even been considered lol

seriously beta or not those prices are not defensible

Well I said in the past that you should get one hour for every dollar spent on a game, I guess Sony took that idea and decided to charge tax.

Wait, that isn't the punchline yet.

The tax being five dollars because I get exactly zero hours of enjoyment from Ben 10 games.

Does anyone know if we keep the already existing Vault games forever, or do we lose the ability to play them whenever EA removes them? Cuz if we keep them, I'd definitely buy BF4 Premium since it's on the Deals With Gold right now for $33.49, kinda sucks that the 10% discount from Access doesn't stack on top of that but meh..

Well I said in the past that you should get one hour for every dollar spent on a game, I guess Sony took that idea and decided to charge tax.

Wait, that isn't the punchline yet.

The tax being five dollars because I get exactly zero hours of enjoyment from Ben 10 games.

I don't know what Sony was thinking when they put together the list of games currently available on PlayStation Now. I wanted to try the service to see how well it worked. I took one look at the list and turned off the PS4.

Does anyone know if we keep the already existing Vault games forever, or do we lose the ability to play them whenever EA removes them? Cuz if we keep them, I'd definitely buy BF4 Premium since it's on the Deals With Gold right now for $33.49, kinda sucks that the 10% discount from Access doesn't stack on top of that but meh..

I don't have beta access and I haven't read too much about it, but I'm guessing you don't 'get' the games unless you actually buy them. You pay to rent them basically. Once your sub is up, you no longer have access to the games. It'd be like renting a movie digitally pretty much. You'd keep anything purchased though - they do say it uses xbox/MS ToS.

So, once the games are removed, we'd not have access to them; however, I don't see why they'd remove games so quickly.....

You get to play them as long as they are in the vault. And I am pretty sure I read somewhere that EA won't be removing games from the vault.

EDIT: Found it!

@EAAccess: "We have no plans to remove any game from The Vault. If one does leave you'll be notified and can opt to purchase with your discount."

Edited by xhunterrrr

I don't have beta access and I haven't read too much about it, but I'm guessing you don't 'get' the games unless you actually buy them. You pay to rent them basically. Once your sub is up, you no longer have access to the games. It'd be like renting a movie digitally pretty much. You'd keep anything purchased though - they do say it uses xbox/MS ToS.

So, once the games are removed, we'd not have access to them; however, I don't see why they'd remove games so quickly.....

Yeah, I know it's a rental service, pretty much PS+ or Games With Gold for Xbox One. I just don't recall them saying if we can still play games IF they ever leave the vault.. and yeah I already owned Peggle 2 from months ago and when on the EA Access app, you can see which games you've purchased and for me it shows PvZ:GW and Peggle 2.

You get to play them as long as they are in the vault. And I am pretty sure I read somewhere that EA won't be removing games from the vault.

EDIT: Found it!

@EAAccess: "We have no plans to remove any game from The Vault. If one does leave you'll be notified and can opt to purchase with your discount."

Thanks a lot! I hope one doesn't leave for a good while then due to the fact that they probably won't be adding games in that frequently.

Edited by ImAPirateSoSueMe