The REAL reason the Xbox One is Kinect Mandatory

DarkReign2021

MS only responds to per-request demands. They do not provide blanket access to all accounts and do not always provide the requested information. They are merely obeying the current laws.

While I do not necessarily agree with the practices of providing information based on Skype usage, they aren't breaking any laws and they aren't providing the government with unlimited access to all user data.

All they have to say is 'this person has aroused suspicion' and the person could be completely innocent and Microsoft just provides everything. As for the law, don't get me started on the law lol

I get it's obeying the law and there are a lot more companies who do this too, but I feel like it's going to deter a lot more people with all this information being revealed.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All they have to say is 'this person has aroused suspicion' and the person could be completely innocent and Microsoft just provides everything. As for the law, don't get me started on the law lol

While we don't know what is or isn't true behind the scenes, MS stated they look at each request and have no issues denying access to data if they feel it is an inappropriate request.

Again, I don't necessarily agree with the practices, but what is being said should be taken with a grain of salt.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1408947/guardian-revealed-how-microsoft-handed-the-nsa-access-to-encrypted-messages/20#post_20389623

So Microsoft has given rights to NSA.

Reminds me of John Carter who got prisoned for his comment on A LOL Team speak server.

You guys have it well in Merica/

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83y0vRqdRSI]IGN News - Microsoft's Alleged Collaboration with NSA Surveillance Programs Detailed - YouTube[/ame]

Microsoft's statements are that their involvement in PRISM was only on a per-user, per-request basis. Which means the government had to actually request a specific user(or username)'s data in order to access it -- which they were required to do so by LAW.

If they'd failed to follow this law, Microsoft's services, servers, and entire corporate structure quite possibly may have been shut down by Federal injunctions if a judge had ordered it so.

Hopefully, that law will be changing soon as "Right to Privacy" has become a HUGE public debate in the US currently.

EDIT -- And yes, for some reason, that's Jason Mewes doing the reporting. Snoochie Boochies!

I like the features kinect is capable of doing, but problem with kinect only xbox is I'm going to be using it for voice commands and thats about it... Another thing I find funny is that I usually keep a cover over my kinect at most times unless I'm using it, mainly to keep dust off so it won't scratch the lens.

Seeing as how I don't use kinect much all they'll get from me is a dark screen.

Removing Kinect will reduce the price of the Xbox One itself.

http://www.gamepur.com/news/11446-xbox-one-without-kinect-would-have-cost-less-399-says-xbox-one-dev.html

http://www.examiner.com/article/xbox-one-s-kinect-costs-almost-as-much-as-console-integral-part-of-experience

"The majority of the masses care only about the console, except that the success of the Kinect carries much more weight to us. The sensor costs almost as much as the console to make."

This is where the actual quotes came from where the dev does the Q&A.

http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/1i71s5/i_am_an_xbox_one_dev_ask_me_almost_anything/

When a forced gimmick like the Kinect costs almost as much as the system itself and that it is definitely $150+ and is likely $200 or $200+, I definitely don't want it.

I agree here, what with us paying 60 bucks a year for premium service we shouldn't have to deal with ads shoved in our face. Worst one I saw was an ad for ICP's newest album... *insertsideshowbobgrumblehere*

I have nothing to hide and, if anything, I'll probably make more of a show to fuck with them. Xbox One launch night and I'm bring my girlfriend home and chaining her to a wall and whipping her in front of it. See what the advertisers can come up with for that shit.

This made me laugh so hard XD go for it if she's into it xD

I hate to break it to you Gackt but if the Kinect honestly watched you and recorded what you were doing, Microsoft would be would be sued and/or shut down. But you're right, I shouldn't be forced to buy something I won't use.

Because all those companies that are giving data to the NSA are being sued right now.

I'm just saying that if MS really did that they'd get into a lot of trouble.

I'm just saying that millions of people are happily giving away their privacy and personal data on facebook and other sites. MS does not get in trouble and you agree to let them access and sell your data by using their progams/sites/whatever.