The Guilds and the Main Quest?

tpb

OK, I have a few questions.

Firstly - can I be locked out of any of these quests? ie if i complete too much of the main quest - will some of the guilds be closed to me (like Mass Effect does :mad:)?

Secondly - can I do all the guilds in one playthrough? For example if I join the dark brotherhood, will i get not be able to join with the fighters guild because im then considered evil or something like that? Is there a good order someone can recommend where i dont have to do a lot of work to fullfil the pre-reqs for the next guild?

woot, first time I get to help someone! =D

Ok, no you cannot be locked out. (lol so short)

Yes you can do all the guild quests in one playthough. Just make sure not to kill the mages from the mages guild.

-- Random --

Just got conjurer. ^^

Depending on your character build, Arena is good to start off with, the rest don't really matter that much in terms of the order you do them. Don't do mages guild and thieves guild at the same time. Also, you might want to save assassins guild for last or at least not while doing the thieves guild. Upon completion of the thieves guild you get a helm that gives a huge feather bonus but a ton of infamy when worn. You can use this as a second persona and put all your assassins guild infamy on that second persona, just make sure you don't put any of your fame on it.

Some of the side quests also affect your guild quests and vice versa: for example, you probably can't work on the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild quests if you are also working on Knights of the Nine.

It was never clear he had the KotN expansion. If he does, that would be the one he should do after the Arena.

No, just do it however you want. But I would recommend doing the Thieve's Guild before the Mage's guild because you have to steal something from a mage, and if he sees you your out of the guild.

You could still do it however you want, you will never be locked out of another quest because you did a certain quest.

No, just do it however you want. But I would recommend doing the Thieve's Guild before the Mage's guild because you have to steal something from a mage, and if he sees you your out of the guild.

You could still do it however you want, you will never be locked out of another quest because you did a certain quest.

It's okay if he does the thieves guild after the mages guild is done, there is no penalty.

It was never clear he had the KotN expansion. If he does, that would be the one he should do after the Arena.

Doesn't that make it a pain to do the other two? Or does going back out on the pilgrimage wipe away everything you'll build up so you can wear the full armor again?

I don't know myself, I've only done KotN once, and that was after I had the achievements for the guilds, so I didn't go deep into the guilds.

Doesn't that make it a pain to do the other two? Or does going back out on the pilgrimage wipe away everything you'll build up so you can wear the full armor again?

I don't know myself, I've only done KotN once, and that was after I had the achievements for the guilds, so I didn't go deep into the guilds.

If he gets infamy, he will not be able to use the armor. He will need to go back on the pilgramage to clear the infamy. The advantage of doing the KotN early is that all the rewards level with your charater. This would make the fighters guild and mages guilds easier. It would also make the arena easier but to a lesser degree since you can only have a helm, weapon, and shield in the arena. If you do the KotN before the assassins guild and thieves guild, you cannot use the armor but those guilds don't really need the armor anyway. Just finish those two and do the pilgramage once more.

If he gets infamy, he will not be able to use the armor. He will need to go back on the pilgramage to clear the infamy. The advantage of doing the KotN early is that all the rewards level with your charater. This would make the fighters guild and mages guilds easier. It would also make the arena easier but to a lesser degree since you can only have a helm, weapon, and shield in the arena. If you do the KotN before the assassins guild and thieves guild, you cannot use the armor but those guilds don't really need the armor anyway. Just finish those two and do the pilgramage once more.

That's true. The Fighters Guild quests can be a pain if you aren't decently armed, and yeah, thieves and assassins get tools as they complete some quests. (If he's got Shivering Isles, he could also go there eventually to get armor, etc.)

That's true. The Fighters Guild quests can be a pain if you aren't decently armed, and yeah, thieves and assassins get tools as they complete some quests. (If he's got Shivering Isles, he could also go there eventually to get armor, etc.)

Do you know if forged armor can be enchanted with sigil stones or custom enchantments? The amber and madness ore armors have better stats than glass and daedric, but those matrices have me worried. I never took the time to forge armor...

Do you know if forged armor can be enchanted with sigil stones or custom enchantments? The amber and madness ore armors have better stats than glass and daedric, but those matrices have me worried. I never took the time to forge armor...

I suspect not because of the built-in enchantments. I've got one character with forged armor - I should be able to check rather easily.

Hmm, I forgot that some is enchanted and some is not. I may have madness of both types to check.

So I checked ... you cannot enchant the magical forged armor. You can enchant the standard type, but you'd want to use a sigil stone. With a Grand soul gem, you'd only add 10 points to a skill or an attribute, and the magical enchantments are better than that.

I do indeed that the KotN expansion and the Shivering Isles expansion (game of the year version). And that all very helpful thanks. Good to know im not locked out of nething. Would like to finish the game as a "good guy" if possible - which makes doign the theives/dark brotherhood ones a pain in the butt.

(dark brotherhood == assassins???)

• 1 month later...
Can anyone recomend a safe non quest related NPC to murder to be able to join the Dark Brotherhood? As I've just started this game recently and I don't want to mess up any quest lines by killing some one usefull.

If you do the Arena, and the champion's quest to find his bloodline or whatever, the champion will beg to be killed, killing him will count toward the dark brotherhood, will not count as a murder, and will not get you a bounty.

Yeah thats what I was thinking of doing but I wasn't sure whether I'd be denying myself any quest lines by accidentally killing a quest related NPC or a shop keeper etc. Guess I'll just have to suck it and see as it were. Or I suppose I could just whack some one who's quests I have completed.

As for the Arena Champion it sounds like I'd have to complete all the Arena quests first right?

Its really hard to 'ruin' the quests. And as for playing the game as a 'good guy' i would say unless you really get into RPGs not too bother. There are no bonuses and the game never tries to force you into a moral standpoint like Mass Effect does.

After playing Mass Effect, Oblivions convos seem dull and pointless!

But thats largly due to terrible voice acting (Martin *snore* Septim) and a lack of significance.

It wont take you long to work out what few 'rules' the game has for interacting with NPCs once you have them. They are really quiet stale characters!

Sure there's a bonus: no infamy. (Of course, with KotN, it's less relevant, because you can always reset your infamy if you're willing to repeat that pilgrimage.)

I'd recommend killing someone in Hackdirt. They're all jackasses anyway. At worst, you might mess up one side quest if you kill one specific person, but there are others you could get to.

There is another option if you complete the Arena questline first.

[spoiler=fan]There's this annoying fan (who saw you become the Grand Champion) who follows you everywhere in the Imperial City unless you make him stay put. I took care of him with one character, and that was my ticket to the Assassins Guild.