What does everyone see in Halo?

elementdelta59

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me neither, although I think the music in the main menu is WAY too dramatic...the first time I heard it I though I was going to witness the second coming of Jesus

This made me chuckle. Anyway I didn't chase the game after it's launch but eventually got it and loved the campaign. M.P. looked fun also and I had a few laughs on it.

The same goes for COD series. Although I found the M.P. to be like running stickmen and Halo's to be like colorful stickmen that can bounce.

So I don't really like any of them for M.P. and I tend to enjoy wingman on Gears more. But everyone to their own.

Glad Boarderlands M.P. is keeping busy as that shits fun.

First off, I'm posting this in the General discussion so the answers wont completely be bias.

This has really been pissing me off for a long time. Everyone says Halo is the greatest thing ever, but I'm just not seeing it.

Because its easy for ANYONE to pick up and play and do decent. Simple as that. Does not require much skill at shooters to do ok at Halo.

Hot Green chicks. Don't act like you wouldn't.

But I have to...because!!!...

Next week on MAURY: Who's my baby's daddy?

I SWEAR I'M NOT THE FATHER! Sure it's more of a...lime-green/Nickolodean slime color now...but...that doesn't make me the father!

*results* TV...in the case of 1 year old Klbasch (didn't know she was Jewish o_O), you...ARE NOT THE FATHER!

YES, YES, OOOOH BITCH, WHAT NOW...WHAT NOW *does a dance, she runs off crying like most of the girls do and I just kind of hipthrust the audience* NOW WHAT, YEA...YEA!

Well Halo is still somewhat SP-franchise as lots of thought is placed on SP. Ok MP is very big part of Halo, but remember that Halo started as a SP oriented series and Halo 3:s slogan was "Finish the fight." meaning that SP was more emphasised on the marketing.

Well that is true, the SP does have a strong grounding behind it (the bigtime fans of the series know everything about Spartans, Covenant...you name it) and is what people lust after if they're waiting at the Midnight release. Well, 70%...they're also there to play Multiplayer, but the mainstream really doesn't care much for the space story...they're all about "HEADSHOT! OVERKILL! KILLTACULAR!" and everything else the announcer says in Multiplayer matches. Yes I have a feeling the success would still be pretty big, but nowhere near as appealing to the mainstream as it is now...it's that Multi-player functionality that cries out to them, otherwise we'd see more people going for the Assassin's Creed series (even though it's adding multiplayer for Brotherhood...yeah, different genre all together) or...Bioshock? Yeah, there's a FPS that's success was built UPON the singleplayer...and kind of tacked on a multiplayer afterwards.

That wasn't the point. When Star Wars first came out it was supposed to be a failure. Even months after it came out it was ahead of its time and not as wildly adopted as years later. Halo isn't appreciated today as it will be in the future. Star Wars had its rabid fans then and Halo has the same now. People still talk crap on both franchises, but none can deny its success. Both are entertainment franchises. Although, I doubt there will ever be something in the Halo world such as 'Trekkies'. Either way, its huge and its here to stay. I could talk all day about what is good about it, but that would just start unnecessary drama.

To me it was something that nerds could hold onto, as well as for it's time...everyone felt the movies had the greatest special effects of all time. It was THE movie series to go see at the Movies back in the day, that's why it became popular even amongst the none-nerds who didn't get all indepth with the history of the galaxies and federations or whatever...while it wasn't meant to be successful, it became a sleeper-hit trilogy that spanned to be one of the top-two most popular space scifi series (next to Star Trek). Then everything else fights for third-place, fourth-place...so on after that point.

In fact, with the Halo series it's a similar situation. There's the fans of the original game (with it's on-console multiplayer or split-console variation...then of course the PC version with online) that adored the single-player experience and it became a platinum hit built mainly on the success of people interested in the genre in the first place (futuristic FPS that deals with aliens and human fights). People enjoyed the multiplayer a lot and when online play became introduced, suddenly it was jumped on and that's when society as a whole was hooked. Much like the special effects that attracted the crowd for Star Wars, Halo's multiplayer and advanced gameplay for the singleplayer grabbed the attention of just about everyone out there.

People paid money to see Star Wars over and over again in theatres, people paid money to buy Xbox's purely FOR the Halo series. Halo then spread in merchandise, got an animated movie deal, had a spin-off title or two and even has this whole huge thing on Xbox Live for Halo fans SPECIFICALLY. As we all saw with the release of Halo 3 (a Halo edition Xbox, Super Legendary Editions with a Master Chief helmet...THAT SOLD OUT MIND YOU BECAUSE EVERYONE WAS WILLING TO PAY THAT MUCH FOR COLLECTIBLES), the response to Halo is massive.

So what are we looking at years in the future? Live-action movie deals (that will probably grab sequels to go with it), a TV show maybe, maybe an entire convinction center (if not done already) for simply Halo...the possibilities are endless. Halo is not due out to lose it's popularity in the future...we might see remakes of the older games...god knows what's in store for the series.

Phew...was I negative in my original post in this topic? I can't deny it's success, like you said...as you can tell, I fully understand it's success from a non-biast viewpoint and don't condemn people for fapping to it (I have known someone to actually...anyways). While I may not like it as much as most, you have to respect the fact that it has a huge following...from both fanboys to just the average joe.

I SWEAR I'M NOT THE FATHER! Sure it's more of a...lime-green/Nickolodean slime color now...but...that doesn't make me the father!

*results* TV...in the case of 1 year old Klbasch (didn't know she was Jewish o_O), you...ARE NOT THE FATHER!

YES, YES, OOOOH BITCH, WHAT NOW...WHAT NOW *does a dance, she runs off crying like most of the girls do and I just kind of hipthrust the audience* NOW WHAT, YEA...YEA!

Well that is true, the SP does have a strong grounding behind it (the bigtime fans of the series know everything about Spartans, Covenant...you name it) and is what people lust after if they're waiting at the Midnight release. Well, 70%...they're also there to play Multiplayer, but the mainstream really doesn't care much for the space story...they're all about "HEADSHOT! OVERKILL! KILLTACULAR!" and everything else the announcer says in Multiplayer matches. Yes I have a feeling the success would still be pretty big, but nowhere near as appealing to the mainstream as it is now...it's that Multi-player functionality that cries out to them, otherwise we'd see more people going for the Assassin's Creed series (even though it's adding multiplayer for Brotherhood...yeah, different genre all together) or...Bioshock? Yeah, there's a FPS that's success was built UPON the singleplayer...and kind of tacked on a multiplayer afterwards.

To me it was something that nerds could hold onto, as well as for it's time...everyone felt the movies had the greatest special effects of all time. It was THE movie series to go see at the Movies back in the day, that's why it became popular even amongst the none-nerds who didn't get all indepth with the history of the galaxies and federations or whatever...while it wasn't meant to be successful, it became a sleeper-hit trilogy that spanned to be one of the top-two most popular space scifi series (next to Star Trek). Then everything else fights for third-place, fourth-place...so on after that point.

In fact, with the Halo series it's a similar situation. There's the fans of the original game (with it's on-console multiplayer or split-console variation...then of course the PC version with online) that adored the single-player experience and it became a platinum hit built mainly on the success of people interested in the genre in the first place (futuristic FPS that deals with aliens and human fights). People enjoyed the multiplayer a lot and when online play became introduced, suddenly it was jumped on and that's when society as a whole was hooked. Much like the special effects that attracted the crowd for Star Wars, Halo's multiplayer and advanced gameplay for the singleplayer grabbed the attention of just about everyone out there.

People paid money to see Star Wars over and over again in theatres, people paid money to buy Xbox's purely FOR the Halo series. Halo then spread in merchandise, got an animated movie deal, had a spin-off title or two and even has this whole huge thing on Xbox Live for Halo fans SPECIFICALLY. As we all saw with the release of Halo 3 (a Halo edition Xbox, Super Legendary Editions with a Master Chief helmet...THAT SOLD OUT MIND YOU BECAUSE EVERYONE WAS WILLING TO PAY THAT MUCH FOR COLLECTIBLES), the response to Halo is massive.

So what are we looking at years in the future? Live-action movie deals (that will probably grab sequels to go with it), a TV show maybe, maybe an entire convinction center (if not done already) for simply Halo...the possibilities are endless. Halo is not due out to lose it's popularity in the future...we might see remakes of the older games...god knows what's in store for the series.

Phew...was I negative in my original post in this topic? I can't deny it's success, like you said...as you can tell, I fully understand it's success from a non-biast viewpoint and don't condemn people for fapping to it (I have known someone to actually...anyways). While I may not like it as much as most, you have to respect the fact that it has a huge following...from both fanboys to just the average joe.

Because you were around in the 70's to watch the movies, right? My dad was around and he has told me, many times(like all dads spew about "the good ol' days"), that he had to hide having seen the films in fear of getting bullied.

In my opinion Halo is terrible. The sniper sucks both of them. The graphics yes they're great, but I didn't care for the story line. I am a guy that likes a story line like Mass Effect. That is a good alien/human game with a good story line and even better graphics. I give the Halo series a 6 out of 10. The MP is alrite but not even close to Call of Dutys!

Because you were around in the 70's to watch the movies, right? My dad was around and he has told me, many times(like all dads spew about "the good ol' days"), that he had to hide having seen the films in fear of getting bullied.

You could have condensed your rant much more tightly. Halo and Star Wars share common themes. Both of which are relate able by the players(theater audience). In essence, everyone who is receptive to any human emotion. No, some gamers are truly in human and promptly attempt to troll those who don't share their monstrous traits.

You could have condensed your rant much more tightly. Halo and Star Wars share common themes. Both of which are relate able by the players(theater audience). In essence, everyone who is receptive to any human emotion. No, some gamers are truly in human and promptly attempt to troll those who don't share their monstrous traits.

First off, I'll just point this out (and I'll later edit it out for your sake) that you posted the first half of your response...twice. Just letting you know that, in case you wished to delete one of them. (not offending you here)

Secondly, I don't condense my rants. I enjoy typing, it's something I like to do...so there's no reason I should change that for anyone. If you wish not to read it or if it's "sapping too much of your time", do something else...I could care less. I didn't even expect a response from you in the first place...this isn't a violent response mind you, just one without any real "emotion" to begin with so it might come out as cold.

But since you DID respond to me, let's go after the first thing you said. No, obviously I was not around in the 70's...and the situation differs from area to area...wherever your father grew up may have been a more "Nerds and anything resembling Nerdism is TRASH" type attitude, but it may have been more common in the High School or Middle School (bullies are everywhere and will remain until the end of time...or until the Government installs high-tech security to punish them in the event they do bully). Typically, it's unheard of other adults in that time-frame referring to other adults as nerds for watching a movie...I don't DOUBT it as a possibility, especially if it's a bully you knew back from your school days but after you get out of highschool, random strangers won't come up to you after seeing Star Wars and automatically "bully" you, especially if you're someone in your 20's and definately anyone over the age of 30.

Though I extend my condolences to your father, if he recieved any bullying...as bullying is the absolute low of a human being who has their own problems that people probably picked on them about (or they have a superiority complex and desire to prove it, no better...just more jerkish and with no emotional side).

Second, I agree with what you said in the second paragraph (minus the first sentence, lol =P ) about gamers and those who troll those who don't share their opinions. As I stated, I"m not going after you due to your response...I really don't see it as offensive in the slightest and I'm sure you didn't intend it to be...but if I were a more rage-consumed gamer, I would probably flip on you right now.

Ultimate Fanboys are dangerous creatures, they're like the final form in a series of transformations from simple geek...to nerd...to gamer (or Otaku, maybe both...) to Fanboy...to Guru...and finally Ultimate Fanboy. A guru is very knowledgeable and could be considered the alternate evolution (a light to the side of dark)...as they know everything there is to know about a series and are willing to help answer questions, enlighten and unconfuse certain plot points and are generally goodspirited.

An Ultimate Fanboy however is a dark, Golemn looking creature that sees everything around him as disgusting and wishes to live in a Fantasy world...he resides in his deepest lair (basement) while his servants (or so he thinks, aka mother) feeds and pampers him while he attacks unsuspecting citizens (actual people sometimes outside of the Internet, IF he travels to a nerdy store like the comic book retailer or otherwise) with his infinite knowledge of a particular subject or the entire series in which he dominates his life with. You say anything offensive towards his knowledge, suggest any crack theory or speculation and he'll explode and turn you into a mere ashpile of what you once were (or he'll just flame you until you can't stand the idiot anymore). Beware, the Ultimate Fanboy...he waits in your deepest, darkest dreams (forums and wiki sites)...and will strike at the slightest indication of your own logical thinking (basically, his way is the only way...if he thinks Sasuke from Naruto is an antivillian...and you think he's an Antihero, he'll rip you shred from shred...with rants).

I'm not a fanboy though! Even though I use rants, that is only because I like to talk...a lot. And I don't do enough of it around civilization (I'm usually quiet). Does that make me nerdy? In a way, yes...but not entirely.

EDIT: I realize that whenever a minor subject is introduced, I tend to create paragraphs describing it...and my own views of how it is built. I'm just like that...I do it in my head all the time when I think about my past experiences with videogames...then I talk in my head like there's an audience listening in, curious of the history of video games from my point of view. I've also noticed that my mind is 5x more effective when I'm thinking...wonder why I can't tap into that when I type..?

Edited by TVthePunisher

In my opinion Halo is terrible. The sniper sucks both of them. The graphics yes they're great, but I didn't care for the story line. I am a guy that likes a story line like Mass Effect. That is a good alien/human game with a good story line and even better graphics. I give the Halo series a 6 out of 10. The MP is alrite but not even close to Call of Dutys!

I couldn't have put it better myself. Now all we need is a game with Mass Effect story line, Halo graphics and CoD MP! :woop:

That wasn't the point. When Star Wars first came out it was supposed to be a failure. Even months after it came out it was ahead of its time and not as wildly adopted as years later. Halo isn't appreciated today as it will be in the future. Star Wars had its rabid fans then and Halo has the same now. People still talk crap on both franchises, but none can deny its success. Both are entertainment franchises. Although, I doubt there will ever be something in the Halo world such as 'Trekkies'. Either way, its huge and its here to stay. I could talk all day about what is good about it, but that would just start unnecessary drama.
Usually in the gaming world, being huge is a real problem, because it results in sequelitis.

Which, funny enough, is what almost managed to ruin Star wars, as well.

For a game example just look at Sonic the Hedgehog or the Pokémon spin-offs. Really, the video game industry has a reputation for running series in the ground.

Like many others have stated, it's all opinion based. I'd personally take Halo over CoD anyday, but the lack of friends playing it makes it less fun (I miss custom matches), so I play neither for the most part. I personally like the fact that all players, low or high rank, have access to the same weapons, so nobody has an unfair advantage. I also like how you don't die from like 3 shots from an assault rifle. In CoD, it seems like whoever sees a person first, will win, unless they can't aim for sh*t. In Halo, you have more time to fight back, which allows you to be more strategic, and gives you a chance. I also like the variety in game modes and the maps, as well as the huge amount of customization for custom matches. Creating your own maps, and well as sharing them and downloading others is great.

Of course, this is just my opinion, you have yours, and thats fine. Half the stuff you said in your post was untrue, however.

Duel wielding is ridiculous, and can take someone down before i even see them. Yes their is duel wielding [in CoD] but you need to work for it, and it isn't all that overpowering

Um, I almost never see anyone dual wielding in Halo, and when they do, it isn't extremely overpowered. And, IMO atless, the dual wielding in CoD is far from reasonable? And you don't have to work for it, you just put on a rapid fire mod and spray away. And I'm pretty sure you can take down a person in CoD with almost ANY gun before they even notice. So I honestly don't understand why you're complaining about these in Halo when the same problems exist and are arguably worse in CoD.

And, please, don't say any of that sh*t about how realistic a game is. This is for everyone. No multiplayer game is realistic. Want to test it? Go shoot yourself in the head with a pistol, and see if your health regenerates. If it does, call me.

I'm not saying that CoD or Halo is better, like I said, it's all opinion. And I'm not saying Halo is perfect either, it has its flaws, as does every game. However, the whole point of your thread seems to be flaming Halo, instead of actually wondering what makes it good. If you own a game, and need to ask what makes it fun, then you won't like the game, simply put. Nothing anyone tells you will make it better.

People are TOLD (in advertisements) that Halo is a good game.

So they believe it.

I have never, in my life, seen an advertisement for Halo, and I like the game. Thank you for pretty much insulting me and every other Halo fan out. And I'm pretty sure every advertisement will say that their product is good, so your statement is stupid and pointless.

Edited by vgfanatic1

Because its easy for ANYONE to pick up and play and do decent. Simple as that. Does not require much skill at shooters to do ok at Halo.

You must be fucking joking.

Go play level 50 high in any playlist and this game is a completely different story.

Cod relies on who sees the other person first and pulls the trigger. Halo revolves around positioning yourself on the map to benefit your team as much as possible and dominate map control.

I guarantee you, a player from GoW, if they played Cod/Halo the 1st time, 100% they would say Cod is easier.

Edited by ZanKioH

You must be fucking joking.

Go play level 50 high in any playlist and this game is a completely different story.

Cod relies on who sees the other person first and pulls the trigger. Halo revolves around positioning yourself on the map to benefit your team as much as possible and dominate map control.

I guarantee you, a player from GoW, if they played Cod/Halo the 1st time, 100% they would say Cod is easier.

u must be fucking joking cause CoD is about who has a higher rank dumb shit. there's no reason to just admit CoD is bullshit online, i still play it though.

u must be fucking joking cause CoD is about who has a higher rank dumb shit. there's no reason to just admit CoD is bullshit online, i still play it though.

Erm are you mentally challenged?

I was bashing Cod...

Wow.

CoD isn't about who is the higher rank.

I could hop on right now, as a level 1, with a shitty SMG and cheap perks and camp my way to a 20 killstreak in every game.

Also, Halo's weapons might not be perfectly balanced, but I don't think they were going for exact realism. You fight goddamn aliens.

I prefer Halo's multiplayer over Call of Dutys, but I can't stand Halo's singleplayer. The only reason for that is that i've always sucked at it. I've been stuck on Gravemind on Halo 2 on the easiest difficulty for years, and I can't beat Halo 3 on normal/regular/whatever they call it.

Damn, I wish my modem let me connect to XBL. I really wanna play some Halo now ;-;

To be honest MW2 is one of the most balanced games ever!

Pardon? MW2 is not even more balanced than Halo, let alone every other multiplayer game out there. I understand that Infinity Ward had to add in some new features to the multiplayer so it didn't play exactly like CoD4, but they added way too much stuff; there's no way they could have added all of those new guns, perks and killstreaks and still maintain the intricate balance that the first MW had (not that the first CoD4 didn't have it's problems *cough* martyrdom and juggernaut *cough*). For example, all of new killstreaks means that there are often moments where there are numerous air support shooting at you at one time, meaning it is alot more easy to die if you are not doing well.

You cite the rockets as a balancing problem in Halo, however both teams always have an equal chance of obtaining them at the beginning of the game, and it;s not all that easy to get a kill with every single one of them. In Call of Duty on the other hand, you can have both tubes on both your primary and secondary slots (or if your a high enough level an RPG in your secondary), Bandolier so you are never far away from ammo, and Danger Close which gives your explosives a lot more damage. I may be crazy, but that doesn't sound more balanced...