Achievement Guide & Roadmap

Overview:

Estimated achievement difficulty: 3/10

Offline: 24 (400:gsicon:)

Online: 0 (0:gsicon:)

Approximate amount of time to 1000:gsicon:: 5-10 Hours

Minimum number of playthroughs needed: 4 (both games require 2 seperate playthroughs in different "modes")

Number of missable achievements: Varies

Glitched achievements: 1 (Peace Returns To Our Home)

Do cheat codes disable achievements? Yes

Introduction:

SEGA's latest Vintage Collection compiles both original ToeJam & Earl games into one package. Like all classic SEGA collections both games are emulated and provide the typical save state features you'd expect. Both games are considerably different from each other gameplay-wise. The first game is a "dungeon crawler" styled game style game while the second is a side-scrolling platformer.

Step 1:

I recommend first completing the original game in Fixed World and obtaining any of the miscellanious achievements on this initial playthrough. This is because levels are always the same in addition to the locations of presents being static (i.e. the first 4 presents of Level 1 will always contain Decoy, Boombox, Tomatoes and Doorway).

In addition maps are available here:

http://skutter.net/tjande/maps.html

Step 2:

Now it's best to replay the game in Random World. This can be considered a tad more difficult given that presents and levels themselves are "randomly generated" meaning there aren't any guides to help you out here.

Fortunately with some patience, use of save states, as well as the experience gained from your Fixed World playthrough, this really shouldn't be that much harder nonetheless.

Step 3:

It's time to get "Lil Kid Mode" out of the way. Fortunately this really isn't all that difficult since the hidden warp zone related to the "I'll Just Go On Ahead" can be used here to skip straight to the last level (Level 5) right from Level 1!

In addition, all but the "Peace Returns To Our Home" achievement can be grabbed here along the way.

Step 4:

Now all that's left is to complete the game in normal mode.

Conclusion:

With the use of savestates, achievement completion is possible even by those unfamiliar with the game. At least some of the hazards in the first game (such as the Total Bummer! & Randomizer presents) can now easily be avoided with save states. Like a lot of sega compilations, it's simply a matter of time and patience.

An important thing to note is that Co-op disables achievements in both games for Player 2 (Earl). It seems Player 1 (ToeJam) in LOCAL Co-op can earn achievements like normal however. - Thanks RockMan Respect & Flibbity Floid for confirming this.

Edited by Kahn13

Achievement Guide:

ToeJam And Earl

0YCLiGJhbC9FFQUXXFJQHTRjL2FjaC8wLzEAAAAA5+fn-uAPRg==.jpg

Word Up! Back To Outer Space! - 40:gsicon:

[TJ&E] Cleared a Random World.

Select "Random World" in the main menu. The object of the game is to progress from one level to the next in search of "Ship Pieces". Recovering all 10 pieces over the 25 Levels will unlock this.

Given that levels are randomly generated, there's really not much that can be said. However I do strongly recommend that new players start out with Fixed World first and take what they learn from there into a second playthrough.

04CLiGJhbC9GFQUXXFJQHTRjL2FjaC8wLzIAAAAA5+fn-MEG8w==.jpg

Smell Ya Later, Earth! - 40:gsicon:

[TJ&E] Cleared the Fixed World.

Select "Fixed World" in the main menu. The objective is identitical Random World, however this time levels and present/power-up locations will always be the same in every playthrough.

Use this guide to help navigate levels:

http://skutter.net/tjande/maps.html

Another very important tip that will make this playthrough considerably easier is to grab (but NOT use) the present second from the mailbox in Level 2. This is a randomizer present which will mess around with all the presents in the game and undo the progress you've made in identifying presents. I recommend taking this present to the wise "carrot" man (first appears in Level 4) and having him identify it for 2 bucks, then discarding it.

0oCLiGJhbC9HFQUXXFJQHTRjL2FjaC8wLzMAAAAA5+fn-SH+YA==.jpg

The Long Road To Funkiness - 30:gsicon:

[TJ&E] Obtained a rank of FUNK LORD.

Starting off as Weiner, there are a total of 8 ranks to progress through, with every third rank granting you an extra life.

Weiner - 0 points

Dufus - 40 points

Pointdexter - 100 points

Peanut - 180 points

Dude - 280 points

Bro - 400 points

Homey - 540 points

Rapmaster - 700 points

Funklord - 880 points

The key to unlocking this achievement is exploration (each map block uncovered grants 1 point) and present usage (2 points). Use your playthrough of Fixed World to explore and use any harmless presents you have rather than dropping them.

In addition, "promotion" presents can be found which can rank you up instantly (one such present appears in Level 2 of Fixed World on the narrow bridge near the Ship Piece). Save these up for one of the later ranks so as not to waste points.

14CLiGJhbC9AFQUXXFJQHTRjL2FjaC8wLzQAAAAA5+fn+IMVmQ==.jpg

The Mailbox Ate My Mail - 15:gsicon:

[TJ&E] Defeated a Demon Mailbox.

Mailboxes encountered in later levels may sometimes be a monster in disguise (starting around Level 5). Unlike regular mailboxes they cannot be used and when approached spring to life and chase you for a few seconds doing high damage. If you wait patiently they will peer out of the mail slot briefly and thus give themselves away.

The absolute safest tactic to use once you identify one is to use a boombox present to incapacitate them (one will always spawn on Level 1 [Fixed World]) and then follow up with some tomatoes. If you don't have a boombox the next best option is to use the Slingshot from distance. DO NOT use the standard tomatoes on their own as the throw distance is too short and leaves you vulnerable.

Another way to identify and attack them is to provoke them and then use either the edge of the map or water to block and safely wait out their rampaging attack. Once it's finished it will remain idle long enough for you to attack it. It takes a total of 10 tomatoes to defeat.

1oCLiGJhbC9BFQUXXFJQHTRjL2FjaC8wLzUAAAAA5+fn+WPtCg==.jpg

Fallen Angel - 15:gsicon:

[TJ&E] Defeated a Cupid.

First encountered around Level 4, these enemies are more of a nuisance than a threat. As they're in the air, they cannot be harmed by tomatoes. Either use Icarus Wings to fly up and knock them or a charged bounce from the Spring Shoes to kill them.

1ICLiGJhbC9CFQUXXFJQHTRjL2FjaC8wLzYAAAAA5+fn+0Lkvw==.jpg

Wh-wh-what Time Is It!? - 5:gsicon:

[TJ&E] Woke up from a nap.

Either leave the character idle or use a school book present to fall asleep. Then simply mash buttons until the character wakes up.

1YCLiGJhbC9DFQUXXFJQHTRjL2FjaC8wLzcAAAAA5+fn+qIcLA==.jpg

This Earth Food Isn't Half Bad! - 15:gsicon:

[TJ&E] Ate all of Earth's delicacies.

Throughout the levels are food items (and occasionally presents) that are both helpful and harmful to your character. Simply eat each helpful one (in addition to those found in presents).

Good: Candy Cane, Bowl of Cereal, Bacon & Eggs, Watermelon, Pancakes, Cherry Pie, Fries, Pizza, Fudge Sundae, Hamburger and Fudge Cake.

Presents: Food (Can be good or bad), Rootbeer and Fudge Sundae

It's been confirmed that harmful foods do not count towards this. However whether or not food contained in presents count toward the achievement is still unknown.

1oCLiGJhbC9MFQUXXFJQHTRjL2FjaC8wLzgAAAAA5+fn+YUIIg==.jpg

It's All About The Kicks - 5:gsicon:

[TJ&E] Dashed with the Super Hitops.

You begin with 4 Bonus Hi-Top presents at the start of the game. Just select one, then hold the Action button to start dashing.

14CLiGJhbC9NFQUXXFJQHTRjL2FjaC8wLzkAAAAA5+fn+GXwsQ==.jpg

We're Unstoppable - 5:gsicon:

[TJ&E] Flew across water using the Rocket Skates.

One of the many present power-ups available. If you've identified them simply use them near water then fly right over it.

1ICLiGJhbC8VFQUXXFJQHTRjL2FjaC8wL2EAAAAA5+fn+0qvHQ==.jpg

Up, Up, And Away - 5:gsicon:

[TJ&E] Flew using the Icarus Wings

Another available present/power-up. Once you find some, simply use them and while standing still press the Action button to flap your wings. In Fixed World there is a present containing them to the right of the Ship Piece on Level 2.

1oCLiGJhbC8WFQUXXFJQHTRjL2FjaC8wL2IAAAAA5+fn+WumqA==.jpg

Even Adults Like Presents - 15:gsicon:

[TJ&E] Snagged some goodies from Santa.

Simple enough. Once you find him, just "sneak" ("action" button when no present power-up is active) and IMMEDIATELY stop moving the second he suspiciously looks around.

14CLiGJhbC8XFQUXXFJQHTRjL2FjaC8wL2MAAAAA5+fn+IteOw==.jpg

Lovin' This Earth Lifestyle - 10:gsicon:

[TJ&E] Jumped in the bath on Floor 0.

Reaching Level 0 requires either Rocket Skates, Icarus Wings or an Innertube. The entrance is on an island at the bottom left corner of the Level 1 map.

Simply use one of those presents to make it across the water then fall down the hole in the center of the island. Then simply walk into either side of the hot tub to dive in.

Edited by Kahn13

ToeJam And Earl 2 - Panic on Funkatron

1Tc8P2NhbC8QFQUXXFJQHTRjL2FjaC8wL2QAAAABUFBQ+tjswg==.jpg

Peace Returns To Our Home - 50:gsicon: [TJ&E2] Clear the game.

In this game the goal is to capture and collect all earthlings in each level by throwing jars at them and taking them to the end of level spaceship. There are 17 levels in all.

Note: Apparently both Trixie's Rendezvous AND the Permanent Super Jars bonus will prevent this achievement from unlocking as they're considered cheats.

04CLiGJhbC8RFQUXXFJQHTRjL2FjaC8wL2UAAAAA5+fn-MlNUQ==.jpg

Inner Child - 30:gsicon:

[TJ&E2] Cleared "Lil' Kid Mode".

Select this in the main menu. Unlike the normal playthrough of the game there are only 5 levels and you cannot die. This can be completed quicker using the warp zone related to the "I'll Just Go On Ahead" achievement which can take you from Level 1 straight to Level 5!

0YCLiGJhbC8SFQUXXFJQHTRjL2FjaC8wL2YAAAAA5+fn-uhE5A==.jpg

Take Back The Skies - 20:gsicon:

[TJ&E2] Defeated a duck on a flying carpet.

Can be a pretty difficult opponent to hit since he will use hit and run tactics and is pretty agile. I recommend defeating him on Level 5 during your Lil Kid mode run, as you'll have to in order to finish the level anyway and you'll be invulnerable also.

0oCLiGJhbC9ECxoIG1lSUzRjL2FjaC8wLzEwAAAAAOfn5-1dRQc=.jpg

I'll Just Go On Ahead - 15:gsicon:

[TJ&E2] Found a Warp Room.

Despite the achievement description stating "a" room, there is only 1 confirmed Warp Room that can be found in Level 1.

When you reach the pool of water, swim to the left and walk past the button and through the wall, pressing the second button you find here. Now return to the very start of the level and use "Funk Vision" (press start and then the appropriate button) to see a secret door.

Enter it to discover the Warp Room. The doors here take you to levels 3, 4 and 5 respectively.

04CLiGJhbC9FCxoIG1lSUzRjL2FjaC8wLzExAAAAAOfn5-y9vZQ=.jpg

Clean Better, Faster, Easier! - 15:gsicon:

[TJ&E2] Sucked up 4 or more things at once with the Funk Vacuum.

I personally did this on level 2, right at the start where I uncovered all Earthlings in the first area. When you manage to have 4 Earthlings on the screen at once, simply press "start" and select the Funk Vacuum which will immediately suck all enemies up and place them into jars for you to collect.

Another option may be to use the old lady and her poodles as she normally has up to 3 dogs with her.

0YCLiGJhbC9GCxoIG1lSUzRjL2FjaC8wLzEyAAAAAOfn5-6ctCE=.jpg

FeeLiN' KRaZy! - 15:gsicon:

[TJ&E2] Went into Panic Mode.

There's a present containing this in Level 1 (hidden in one of the trees). Once you have one (shown at the bottom of the screen) simply press start and select the panic button.

0ICLiGJhbC9HCxoIG1lSUzRjL2FjaC8wLzEzAAAAAOfn5-98TLI=.jpg

The Jingle Of Change - 5:gsicon:

[TJ&E2] Used some Coins.

Coins are collected from presents (hidden in trees/bushes). There are usually several of these "parking meter" objects that can be found in a level (sometimes also uncovered from trees/bushes). Simply walk up to one and press up and you'll put a coin in.

You can find one of these right near your first encounter with an earthling on the first level.

1YCLiGJhbC9ACxoIG1lSUzRjL2FjaC8wLzE0AAAAAOfn5-rep0s=.jpg

Shake, Rattle, and Fall! - 10:gsicon:

[TJ&E2] Shook 5 presents out of a single tree.

Some trees will have multiple presents hidden in them (with 3 or sometimes 5 presents). I personally found one in Level 5.

1ICLiGJhbC9BCxoIG1lSUzRjL2FjaC8wLzE1AAAAAOfn5-s+X9g=.jpg

Sorry, I Just Can't Help Myself! - 10:gsicon:

[TJ&E2] Had a laughing fit.

Simply allow yourself to get hit by the read bag of dust of a Fairy/Witch enemy. There's a few flying about in Level 5.

1oCLiGJhbC9CCxoIG1lSUzRjL2FjaC8wLzE2AAAAAOfn5-kfVm0=.jpg

Treasures Just Out Of Sight - 10:gsicon:

[TJ&E2] Used the Funk Scan.

Press start and select "Funk Scan". You'll need to do this in order to reach the Warp Zone.

14CLiGJhbC9DCxoIG1lSUzRjL2FjaC8wLzE3AAAAAOfn5-j-rv4=.jpg

Can't Hide From Me! - 15:gsicon:

[TJ&E2] Found an Earthling hidden in a plant.

Some enemies will be hiding in bushes. You can't really miss this since you'll need all earthlings to finish a level anyway. Just follow the radar at the bottom which will warn you if an enemy is hidden nearby.

There's one right near the visible parking meter in the first level (also near your first encounter with an earthling.

1ICLiGJhbC9MCxoIG1lSUzRjL2FjaC8wLzE4AAAAAOfn5-vYuvA=.jpg

A Big Wet Kiss - 5:gsicon:

[TJ&E2] Gave a blowfish an underwater kiss.

Some larger bodies of water in the game will spawn a Blowfish which will replenish your air. Simply allow yourself to sink into the bottom of the screen and then search around. There aren't any in the first level but I personally found several in Level 5.

Credits

Hero-of-Time - For information on reaching the Warp Room in TJ&E2.

Zim - For listing the different food items.

RockMan Respect - Confirming that Co-op disables achievements.

AshiKou - For testing whether or not harmful foods go toward the food related achievement.

Flibbity Floid - Pointing out that achievements aren't fully disabled in Local Co-op.

yamatadragon - Providing reasons and testing why the "Peace Returns To Our Home" achievement is not unlocking.

Edited by Kahn13

Really, only 4-5 hours total?! Seems low considering I spent most of my childhood playing the first game.

But thanks for putting a guide up so quick anyway

Honestly I wasn't too sure what to put with some of the overview parts to be honest, as it can vary depending on how much experience someone has with either or both games amongst other factors (e.g. Random World etc).

Though on reflection, you're definitely right 4-5 hours definitely sounds wrong :p. Perhaps i'll double that for the time being...

I would say 10 hours is a fair estimate for it. 5 hours is WAY too short.

Doing the lil kids mode of TJ+E2 is only about 30mins. However then the normal play through is actually fairly lengthy. Not sure how long it took me but I went through about 2 and a half podcasts so must have been around 5hours.

Fixed world play through of TJ+E will vary depending on whether you use maps or have played the game before. I think this run took me about 1 and a half hours or so.

Random world play through I would say 3 hours is a fair estimate. Depends on how lucky you get with maps and ship pieces.

For difficulty I would actually say the game could be a 1 or 2 out of 10. Simply because the games were never designed for save states and having them makes it unimaginably easy.

Also feel I should add for people that a lot of the achievements in TJ+E2 are unmissable/99.9999999999% unmissable.

The only ones I would say are missable being ''shake rattle and fall'', ''I'll just go on ahead'' and ''Cleaner, better, faster, easier''

For difficulty I would actually say the game could be a 1 or 2 out of 10. Simply because the games were never designed for save states and having them makes it unimaginably easy.

That's what I was thinking. Save states are a game changer (literally here). However even with them the game(s) can still be quite difficult. I mean in some ways it's like comparing infinite tries/respawns on Legendary in Halo (though here it can abused much more). The games still aren't "easy".

That's why I made it 3 out of 10. IMO even with save states the game will still test players (particularly people new to the game and that don't expect to have to use invisible paths or know how best to deal with some pretty difficult enemies), but it's certainly not harder than that given save states and patience.

Also feel I should add for people that a lot of the achievements in TJ+E2 are unmissable/99.9999999999% unmissable.

The only ones I would say are missable being ''shake rattle and fall'', ''I'll just go on ahead'' and ''Cleaner, better, faster, easier''

The trouble I have with determining this part is the fact that if you were really conservative or unlucky in the first game, you could actually miss some of the actual presents (unlikely though) or enemy related achievements.

It's such an open game that really the only achievements you absolutely can't miss for certain are for finishing the world you choose (even levels that require a present to cross a gap could be solved with doorway or springshoes - neither are "directly" related to an achievement).

The same could be said to an extent for the second game - most of the achievements are actually very easy and many will easily be stumbled upon - but it's technically possible to miss all but 3 AFAIK (i'm not sure if say coins are needed to actually finish or not).

'Its all about the kicks' achievement is only worth 5G, but you've got it listed as 15G ;)

Ah thanks for pointing that out! It seems I made a mistake with a few of the gamerscore amounts (a few of the Panic on Funkatron achievements were off also it seems). I copied them from one to the next to save time when it came to formatting and it seems I must have lost track :S. Whoops.

I looked over them and made the necessary changes so it should be all fixed now...

Edited by Kahn13

Live Co-op disables achievements

Achievements are obtainable in 2 player Local Game since that was the premise of the original game.

I quickly ran a test just now and found that to be only half right. Player 1/ToeJam can earn achievements (tested this by restarting with different profiles and on 2 seperate achievements) but Earl cannot. This was also the case with TJ&E2.

I can edit the guide to reflect this, but as far as general "achievement hunting" goes, it's rather impractical to play 8 seperate playthrough's (assuming completion achievements unlock). Especially with savestates at your disposal.

About local coop achievements: if player 2 (earl) does something to earn an achievement, the achievement will not actually pop until player 1 (toejam) loses all his lives. I played as earl with my sister last week and did several of the achievements (santa, mailbox, cupid), but they did not pop until she got a game over. Completing the game may also allow the achievements to pop as well, but that's just a guess.

this was with player one signed into my Live account and player 2 not signed into an account.

About local coop achievements: if player 2 (earl) does something to earn an achievement, the achievement will not actually pop until player 1 (toejam) loses all his lives. I played as earl with my sister last week and did several of the achievements (santa, mailbox, cupid), but they did not pop until she got a game over. Completing the game may also allow the achievements to pop as well, but that's just a guess.

this was with player one signed into my Live account and player 2 not signed into an account.

When you say Player 2 wasn't signed in, what do you mean? AFAIK "Player 2" is always Earl in the game. Do you mean that the profile that wasn't signed in or guest started up the game and you joined locally AS Player 2?

I might try this out later and see what happens. if it's true then I guess if you used save states you may be able to simply kill off player 1 to unlock achievements and then simply reload (perhaps this could even be used near the end of the game - reloading so that each person can gain the achievement).

One more thing that I just thought of - has anyone that has tested/played the game through co-op started a Single Player game and THEN had Earl join? Does this make any difference whatsoever?

EDIT - I just tested out a 2 player local co-op game and I couldn't get the achievement(s) to unlock for Player 2/Earl even after Player 1 got a game over...

Edited by Kahn13

I mean that the 2nd controller was not signed into an Xbox live account. Just turned on the controller and pressed start, then selected 2 player game. The first controller (toejam) was signed into my account. When toejam lost all his lives, the achievements I earned as earl unlocked.

ToeJam And Earl 2 - Panic on Funkatron

1Tc8P2NhbC8QFQUXXFJQHTRjL2FjaC8wL2QAAAABUFBQ+tjswg==.jpg

Peace Returns To Our Home - 50:gsicon: [TJ&E2] Clear the game.

In this game the goal is to capture and collect all earthlings in each level by throwing jars at them and taking them to the end of level spaceship. There are 17 levels in all.

Note: Apparently some people are having trouble unlocking this without a clear reason as to why.

The reason is simple: DO NOT USE TRIXIE'S RENDEZVOUS'S! If you stumble upon a Trixie's Rendezvous, ignore it. The "powers" she gives you (unlimited coins, unlimited super jars, unlimited Funk Vacs, never run out of air underwater, any presents you find have twice the stuff inside, any food you eat will heal you twice as much, instant height on bouncy fungus, unlimited funk) are considered "cheats" and disable the achievement from unlocking. I can't say for sure if the Permanent Super Jars bonus from the Hyper Funk Zones disables the Achievement as well.

The reason is simple: DO NOT USE TRIXIE'S RENDEZVOUS'S! If you stumble upon a Trixie's Rendezvous, ignore it. The "powers" she gives you (unlimited coins, unlimited super jars, unlimited Funk Vacs, never run out of air underwater, any presents you find have twice the stuff inside, any food you eat will heal you twice as much, instant height on bouncy fungus, unlimited funk) are considered "cheats" and disable the achievement from unlocking. I can't say for sure if the Permanent Super Jars bonus from the Hyper Funk Zones disables the Achievement as well.

I'll add this as a possible/likely reason in the guide, but I'd like some feedback from anyone going for the achievement or that has attempted it, as to whether or not this was a factor in them unlocking/not unlocking it (though it sounds about right).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Submit this here if you haven't already. That way it can go up on the games overview. :)

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=954

Ah! Wasn't aware of that.

However, when I was putting together the achievement guide I remember reading one of the rules on the site mentioning achievement pictures. Up to this point I still haven't (and honestly can't be stuffed) finishing Toe Jam & Earl 2 for the last achievement. Does that create any issues there?

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone have all the passwords for toejam & Earl 2?

They are on gamefaqs.

BUT, using passwords to skip the levels disables any achievements. I skipped to level 15 using a password, and not only did i not get credit for capturing the flying duck, but the funk vac achievement didn't pop either, so i just reset and started a new game.

• 5 weeks later...