Man, this game is hard

madhatter1

I'm really stuck on the challenges. I've had to repeat them about a dozen times and am STILL stuck.

On the sub challenge, I can't get past level 1. That damn destroyer comes at me right off the bat and doesn't let up.

On the plane challenge, I can't get past level 2. I can hold off the first and second waves, but the third wave that comes after the shipyard always manages to get through.

On the ship challenge, I'm stuck on level 2. My cruiser usually gets wasted by the third wave of ships.

I have to admit that my grasp of naval tactics isn't very solid, but I can't believe I suck this bad. Is it me or is this game really hard? It also seems that there aren't a lot of helpful tips on ship tactics out there. :confused:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, take this into consideration. I played the game for the first time about a year ago. Got a little over half of the achievements at that time, but had to cancel my gamefly subscription a little bit ago to save some money.

Got the game back a couple weeks ago, played it a couple more hours and unlocked the rest of them. Doing the missions on veteran gave me the biggest trouble. If you find a boosting partner for the rest of them, you should be fine, no problems. :)

I don't think I'm gonna be able to pick up a full 1000 before BS: Pacific comes out. I guess I should find a partner and give it a go though.

I'm having a really tough time with mission #2 on the ship challenges. By the time I get to the USS Houston, my cruiser is in no shape to fight.

Edited by Beau Coup Dinky Dau

LOL Tell me about it. It is much more a thinking man's game than the standard mindless run-and-gunner for sure.

Okay, I downed the Houston (around my 18th or 19th attempt! Sheesh!). I saved my destroyers until the end, then used them as a screen to distract the Houston's guns (and confound it's helmsman with torpedoes) as I hammered it with my cruiser's main batteries. The next mission is tricky but I know what I have to do: Avoid the CLs by skirting the islands until I can make contact with the seaplane, then launch a close range strike on the cruiser using as many torpedoes as possible (I almost had it on my second attempt).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I did sub challenge 1 & 2, didn't try 3. It's easy enough once you learn some tricks. Fire off a spread against the clusters (especially on challenge 2) to do a little initial damage or cause ships to scatter and make it harder for the destroyers to steer around, but for your specific targets, get in front or behind them and hit them in the screws or the front hull. Even if they turn you'll still hit the hull somewhere and cause damage. Then haul ass far away and resurface to get more air. Go back down to depth 3, sink to 4 to confuse the destroyers, then come back up to 2 and repeat the process.

It's just a matter of confusing the destroyers, I've found it's easier to get them to chase you and just release your rear torpedos right into them. As before, they will still get hit even if they turn, just make sure you are close enough (like within 0.2-0.3).

I really love the sub missions. Sucks there's so few of them. They should just put out an entire sub campaign game. Maybe a historical one with old WWII subs all the way up to modern nuclear subs.

• 3 years later...
It's just a matter of confusing the destroyers, I've found it's easier to get them to chase you and just release your rear torpedos right into them. As before, they will still get hit even if they turn, just make sure you are close enough (like within 0.2-0.3).

I really love the sub missions. Sucks there's so few of them. They should just put out an entire sub campaign game. Maybe a historical one with old WWII subs all the way up to modern nuclear subs.

Oh man, I had such a hard time with the sub missions - damn destroyers never seem to follow me exactly; they always come from the side, making it hard to torpedo them before they get right on top of me. I did eventually complete the Sub challenges though - it's only the last ship challenge I have remaining.