Age of Booty - Road Map to 200

David x360a

Overview:

-Estimated achievement difficulty: 5/10

-Offline: 10 for 160 :gsicon: (5 of them can also be done online)

-Online: 2 for 40 :gsicon:

-Approximate amount of time to 200 :gsicon:: 5-10 hours

-Minimum number of playthroughs needed: 1

-Number of missable achievements: None

-Do cheat codes disable achievements? No cheats

-Does difficulty affect achievements? Yes. There are three different challenge sets, each with a different difficulty

-Glitchy achievements: None

-Unobtainable achievements: None

-Extra equipment needed? Not required, but up to 3 extra controllers may be used for the online achievements

Introduction:

Age of Booty is a real-time strategy game, where you control pirate ships and attempt to capture towns on small maps. It consists of several challenges rather than any lengthy campaign, and any challenge can be replayed at any time. The achievements are relatively straight-forward, but due to the sheer amount of luck required to beat some of the harder challenges it may take some time and effort to unlock the full 200 :gsicon:.

Now let's get going, I suggest you begin with Cartographer to get that one out of the way, then move on to Challenges, starting with the tutorial to get a feeling of the game mechanics.

Step 1: Offline Achievements

The following achievements are challenge-related and cannot be done online:

Landlubber, On the Account, Freebooter and King's Pardon. These will all unlock naturally as you complete all the challenges.

The following achievements can be easily unlocked during the challenges, but can also be done online: Plunder, Bombs Away, Flushed Away, Cherry Picker and Boom Boom.

The only really hard challenges are the 7th on Medium and the 7th on Hard. A few different strategies for the 7th Medium can be found in THIS thread. Try one or more of them, eventually you should find one that works for you.

Refer to the General Advice section in the achievement guide for some good tips on the 7th Hard challenge. Good luck!

Step 2: Online Achievements

There are three ways to do the online achievements. The first option is obviously to play the game normally, and eventually accumulate 10 wins for Old Salt while getting Sea Legs in the process.

Another way is to find yourself a boosting buddy (achievement trading thread here) and create a match where each of you include a guest account, and place the guest accounts on the same team, while you and you buddy stay on the other. This way, the guest ships will not pose any problems. Also, both of you will get the wins.

The third option is, if you can't find a boosting partner, to use this strategy by D_J_3:

"If you possess 4 controllers (can even be GH controllers) then all you do is go to set up a 2 vs 2 match. When it says searching for other players press X on another controller, you can then sign the other 3 controllers in as guests and the game will let you play with no one else needed.

Then you just use the 2 boats on your side to capture the towns."

While using the second or third method, you can unlock the non-challenge related achievements (see step 1) almost effortlessly, since the guest controlled ships will be standing completely still.

Conclusion:

All in all a quite difficult game, due to the amount of luck required on some of the challenges. The AI partner is not very helpful, and sometimes even makes the game harder. Sadly there is no local co-op for the challenges, as this would eliminate the AI problem and make the game more enjoyable.

Still, it's a fairly good game, and you are bound to have a few hours of fun with it.

---------------------------

Edited by David x360a
Minor esthetic changes

you should add more to this, maybe somthing helpfull that has not been posted in this small thread. Also the easy challenges are easy =) the medium ones are not to hard but I have been stuck on 2-7 for so long. It's so unbalenced, and getting annoying I can't seem to hold any place and when I do get a fort or base to 3, they wont attack at first but then will go as a team of 2 and take it no problem. I don't see how holding out till the times gone will help. I found a few times you can attack and when you see a ship from the team coming to defend fall back like 2 blocks and it will go back to what it was doing, then continue attacking. Other then that I'm lost and starting to not find this to much fun. Sorry for the long post.

I agree with you on the 7th medium challenge, it's BS. Seems like the only way to beat it is by sheer luck.

As to adding more.. well, if I find a brilliant strategy that will work with some of the harder challenges, I will of course put it in there, but that's really more the achievement guide's job, the way I see it. THIS thread has some potentially useful strategies, I will add them to the road map if I succeed with any of them. Thanks for the feedback!

Any suggestions to estimated length and difficulty for this game?

It took me about 45 minutes to get the online ones, and I have been playing challenges for 4-5 hours. I still have the last medium challenge and three hard challenges to beat.

I'm guessing anything from 10-15 hours, depending on luck...

I might adjust the difficulty value to 5/10, or maybe even 6/10, due to the fact that luck is such a big factor.

Well the easy ones took about an hour or two around there I think, it's a cake walk. The first few mediums are no problem also would say about the same time as the easy, about two hours. There was one about half way tohu medium that took a try or two and the last one on medium took about 4 to 5 hours give or take.

It's so random on the last medium but I triend about 4 times useing a method I found on here.You take the bottom town first and either the left or the right depending on which one the other team attacks. But like said before it's all random, somtimes, grab crates alot also if a ship is attacking ur base and he runs when hes weak. Follow him and kill him, they always drop crates and most of the time its for ship upgrades. Also just hang around at the bottom and luck really plays a big part.

As for hard the first 3 or 4 only took about an hour or so, have'nt touched the other hard ones. The online ones were pritty easy took about a half or so, really easy and straight forward. Don't go back to your base to upgrade just keep attacking and healing a little at bases you take. It takes about 5-7 mins for each win in 2v2.

I was kinda saying this thread a waste cause it's such an old game, I know people just bought it but theres really nothing to be said for help that has'nt. Ha also to save time if im about to loose I hit start and quit and restart, hate sitting there at the end for nothing. I woul say 10-15 hours is about right. Sorry for the long post, and I can't help to think this was a waste of time and will not help anyone. =)

Edited by TAXI DRIVER 420

I see what you mean, but a game without a road map is a game without a road map. I think every game should have one, regardless. I'll crank the difficulty up to 6/10 and leave the estimated time at 10-15. I'm only missing the last hard challenge and I am at about 10 hours total now, I figure I'll be spending at least a couple of hours beating that last one.

I did actually come up with something new for the game though, for the 7th medium I tried a completely different strategy that worked pretty well. I posted it in the thread I'm linking to in the conclusion of the road map.

I'm sorry you feel it's a waste of time, but I hope that others may find this road map useful. Thanks for the feedback anyway :)

Ok, I just 200 it, this game is really easy took me just about 2hours and a half including boosting the online achieves (2controllers.) I might just make my own guide because no offence this one is wrong, and doesn't help at all. What tips have you given? None, there's no point in even reading it at all.

10-15 hours lol

Edited by Nuffzx

Ok, I just 200 it, this game is really easy took me just about 2hours and a half including boosting the online achieves (2controllers.) I might just make my own guide because no offence this one is wrong, and doesn't help at all. What tips have you given? None, there's no point in even reading it at all.

10-15 hours lol

this is a road map, not an achievement guide

I always think a road map is a good help on any game page. Even though this game is old it might still help any gamer stumbling upon Age of Booty just recently.

Talking about the road map I think it does a fair job of summing up what has been said in other threads. The difficulty should perhaps only be about 5 as the only tricky thing really is getting past the 7th mission on medium and hard. The last mission on hard really is just that though (to much depends on random luck in my opinion).

Oh and Nuffzx, if you completed this game in just a couple of hours that might just not reflect the average gamer playing through Age of Booty. :)

That last mission seems to have caused a lot of people (including me) a lot of grief and it might potentially take more than two hours to complete all by itself.

10-15 hours lol

Please do. I would love to read how you completed this game in 2,5 hours because that's just amazing. You must have the dumbest Xbox360 in the world if it let you win all the challenges that quickly ;)

EDIT: OK, I call BS from Nuffzx. I just compared games with him, and he unlocked the achievements on four different dates, spanning from April 1 to April 10. I find it hard to believe that he spent 2,5 hours total divided between four different days. If it was that easy, why not get them all in one sitting? BS.

Edited by David x360a

Please do. I would love to read how you completed this game in 2,5 hours because that's just amazing. You must have the dumbest Xbox360 in the world if it let you win all the challenges that quickly ;)

On a few missions you can win they within a few seconds if your lucky. Why do I even need to tell you this haven't you played the game? Do some simple maths add up 7missions times 3 = 21 so divided by 2.5hours = 150mins which = over 7mins per mission why is that so hard to believe?

EDIT: OK, I call BS from Nuffzx. I just compared games with him, and he unlocked the achievements on four different dates, spanning from April 1 to April 10. I find it hard to believe that he spent 2,5 hours total divided between four different days. If it was that easy, why not get them all in one sitting? BS.

Lol, now you think I'm lieing... Wow, I'm sure many of gamers who played this game will agree with me. And yes I said 2.5hours for all the single player stuff and if you want to be pedantic look at the achievements dates for completing Hard, Medium and Easy challenges all in one day... I don't have to do it in one sitting, in total that's how much time I played it 3Hours.

Edited by Nuffzx

10-15 hours lol

I call shenanigans on this there’s no way, also this is not a guide, it is a roadmap on how to complete the game or whatever. The funny thing is in a later post he says that people would agree with him on 2-3 hours that’s funny. If he’s just not saying that to mess with people he has something wrong with him. Also I would like some of your tips please or are you just so amazing you don’t remember. Give a few tips for the last hard ones done in 7 mins on the first try or how you pulled of this miracle and I will believe.

Edited by TAXI DRIVER 420

I did do all the Single Player stuff in less than 3 hours too, and was quite disappointed at how easy and short the Challenges were.

Yes, Chapter 7 medium and hard challenges were quite easy too.

I'm only missing the online stuff, haven't started yet.

anyway point is; this is a Road Map, not an achievement guide. It's just to give you a general idea of how long and what kind of achievement you should look forward to do. Helps me a lot in deciding what games I want to 1000/1000 or 200/200.

So, stop saying this Roadmap is useless, it does it's job very well!

EDIT: (Just saw TAXI DRIVER's post)

Chapter 7 Medium; your biggest threat is Green, on my playthrough he attempted to gain control of mid-west Town with his 3 ships, let him destroy the town, and then jump in and conquer the city.

Once you have that, try upgrading your ship once more, and juggle between defending that city and conquering top left. Whenever you have enough resource to upgrade a City, do it right away and sit there to defend it until the HP regens so you can leave safely.

In the few last minutes just attack whoever has the most Town, in my game Brown had 3 Cities, I went and conquered his 3rd to get my win.

Boats upgrade priorities should be Speed. I had 3 Speed, 1 Canon. Rest of ressource dedicated to upgrading Towns.

For last mission on Hard;

I upgraded Speed and Canon, went to conquer Town directly below Pirate Lair. then I just wandered around picking boxes and pilfering Villages for ressource to upgrade the ship again before setting off(upgraded Speed once again)

To win, conquer the mid town that produces 2 Gold, that town is KEY to victory. Owning it means all computers WON'T upgrade their cities. Speed is key in this stage, as ressources boxes are very common and should be your main source of Income(simply altenate between defending and picking up ressources). I won by letting time run out and had 3 Cities at the end. (all 3 cities upgraded to max)

I did Chapter 7 Medium in 1 attempt, took 3 attempts for the Hard. I don't remember the exact details, but that was a good sum of my playthough on the Chapter 7.

Oh yes, another trick is to go after the Merchant Boats, If you get a Ghost Ship or Whirwind, do not bother using them. Keep the Curse with you, that has for effect that whenever you pick another curse, you will gain ressources instead, which helps in the income, instead of having useless bombs/ghosts/whirwind.

Yes Bombs aren't really useful in these 2 maps, as DEFENDING is your priority and not attacking. Especially in the Chapter 7 Hard, since comps won't upgrade their Cities if you conquer the Gold Town.

Edited by minh2

Allright, thanks for all the constructive feedback :)

I do realize that some people may breeze through this game, having no problems with any of the challenges at all, but for the average gamer I think it will take longer than 3 hours to complete this game.

So I adjusted the difficulty to 5/10, and the completion time to 5-10 hours, as I feel this is a more realistic estimate than the original 6/10 and 10-15 hours (my completion time was about 10 hours).

Cheers guys, I hope that at least a few people who come here will have use for this road map :)