So How is it?

the real a 0bsolete

How is it?  

166 members have voted

1. 1. How is it?

• Perfect 10- Best DLC I have ever played.
    • 8-9 (of 10)- Very nice!, But with it's flaws
    • 5-7 (of 10)- Mediocre
    • 3-5 (of 10)- It could have been worse...
    • 1-2 (of 10)- Absolute dog crap.

i dont think they can patch DLC

have u even played dawnguard?

Have you? It's just like the Kingdoms of Amalur DLC. Rehash of the main game. For 800 MSP, this would be fine. For double that, it's a piss take.

And they can patch DLC, don't know where you're getting that crazy notion from. They won't bother cause I'm pretty sure they couldn't give a rat's arse about fixing their game.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's good, but it's not all that long at all. To get all the achievements will take time but the actual story is probably about 10 hours maximum, an that's solely due to the huge amount of travelling you have to do.

Would give it a 9/10 if it cost me only 800MSP, but at 1,600MSP I guess I expected more.

Did the Vampire Questline btw, and don't find becoming a Vampire Lord all that interesting. Or being a Vampire full stop for that matter.

And they can patch DLC, don't know where you're getting that crazy notion from.

Would just like to add to this side of the discussion - wasn't Dragon Age: Origin's DLC patched quite often?

Anyways, I've popped in here with a question, and I ask here because this is a "how is it?" topic, and from what I've heard from a few places, it is something pretty major on effecting one's views. Anyways, here goes (and ***possible spoilers***): how bad is the random Vampire attacks on NPC's?

I'm hearing dislike for the feature, because quest giving NPC's are being randomly killed, and towns are becoming ghost towns.

[x] Very nice!, But with it's flaws.

First off, I think due to its length it was totally worth the money and I only played the werewolf part so far, not much into the vampires.

Yeah moment: When you free Serana. I was like "Well lookie here, what a nice cute vampire chic." :o

WFT moment: When I returned to Whiterun and tried to buy/sell stuff at The Drunken Huntsman. Serana starts to kill this guy Elrindir everytime we enter. He is no vampire. Crazy & weird glitch. Glad I had a save-file before to sort things out. He is quite essential for my bows supply.

Holy crap moment: In the Forgotten Vale when you get attacked by these two dragons (Naaslaarum & Vaslaarum). They break through the ice all of a sudden, I was stunned all over the place haha. Funny thing, when I defeated them. Both were lying next to each other like a couple. Double owned.

Wow moment: When you shoot a Bloodcursed Elven Arrow into the sun, way cooler than the sunhallowed ones IMO.

Only contra so far: The sidequest "Lost to the Ages". Had not much to do with all the vampire/werewolf feud and I hate fighting against Dwarvens. At least I got me a fine ass crown. Congratulations Katria. And...thank you.

Well that's it. I really enjoyed the DLC but I guess there are a few more side-quests I can/will do. A big plus that you can take Serana with you after the main quest is done + the option to turn you into a vampire. Thanks not for now, I'm happy with my werewolf skills.

Edited by JuSt BLaZe

Questline itself was fun and kept me interested through. Though I think it's stupid that you have to do bunch of side quests before you can really get into the main quest. I mean, they could have just made getting those bow schematics and killing few random vampires completely optional.

I really like Serana as a new character. For me, she is definitely one of the most interesting and one of my favourite characters in game. She is also a very good follower to have and I'm gonna keep on adventuring with her. Other new characters didn't really have as big role in the DLC, none of them had really any impact on me (I played on Dawnguard side).

Addition of random high level vampire encounters is annoying, at least for me. I don't have really any magic resistance and while playing on expert those chain lightnings really hurt. Few times some vampires even spawned when I was fast travelling to Whiterun and managed to kill of some npcs, who I didn't want to die. So I had to load a few times so I could save them.

New areas are interesting, but feel very empty. Soul Cairn is a desolate dark wasteland where everything looks the same and thus it's easy to get lost. Bethesda could have added few interesting quests there, but instead we got one boring fetch quest. This especially made me feel like they we're trying to find a cheap way to make player spend more time in Soul Cairn. Forgotten Vale was complete opposite in atmosphere, but it's even more empty. Just boring old falmers. Nothing really to be seen besides beautiful landscapes. Though there is an optional epic dragon battle there. Just watch out for that.

Addition of arrow crafting is a really good thing. I also enjoyed using crossbows despite annoying glitch(es) they have. Most annoying being crossbow getting stuck on aiming mode even when you're not pressing any buttons. This makes you unable to use shouts. And when you press X (I think it was) to lower the bow it uses the shout if you pressed RB before, but only first level, making you wait it to recharge. Also, equipped bolts seem to change by themselves when you unequip the crossbow. Or it might have been the conjured bow messing it up.

There is also new falmer armor which I will probably never even try on let alone use in combat. I also found few new alchemy ingredients. New spell tomes I got from Soul Cairn were nice. Especially the "Conjure Wrathman", quite powerful skeleton that's good for tanking and "Summon Arvak", an undead horse that can be summoned at your will and used like a regular horse.

For someone who likes to play Skyrim this is well worth the price. If you didn't enjoy Skyrim that much, this DLC probably will not change that, unless you're into non-sparkly vampire themed things.

TL;DR/Bottomline

My rating would be something between 8 and 9. I really enjoyed the new stuff, but I also feel that they could have done more, especially with the new areas. I will play this DLC again when I create a new character and then I will be playing on the opposite side.

I'm honestly bewildered how anyone could dislike this DLC in anyway, sure some frustrating glitches might get on your nerves (personally I haven't had any besides one very funny one where Sanguine was for some reason beating the shit outta a bunch of mages in the bottom of a dungeon I had cleared 6 months prior.) Despite me having like 7 freezes it hasn't dampened my enjoyment at all. There is SO much epic in this expansion, to me, it is officially the single greatest DLC I have ever played. Sure, I loved Shivering Isles big time but theres just so much epic in this one. Gorgeous new areas, like the *spoilers* Moth cavern, the large valley of ice at night, O.M.G. one of the prettiest things I've ever seen in a game.

Not to mention: *major spoilers* an incredibly epic immortal horse, tons of fun powers for werewolves and vampire (Vampire lord force choke = PWN) and I've only played the vampire side so far.

tl;dr: Greatest DLC to ever come out for the Greatest Game ever made, yeah, its an opinion, but a pretty damn good one.

Note: not expecting glitches/freezes/etc in a game this massive... go play CoD kids.

Note#2: People saying it's short... I don't know... they must have rushed through it. I played 15 hours on just one campaign, Given I challenge myself with Master but really I'm so skilled in Skyrim combat master no longer matters. Heck theres a few loose ends I still have left before I swap over to Dawnguard save. I see easily getting 30+ hours out of this DLC, which is quite a bit more than Shivering Isles and Knights of the Nine. Not to mention it's numerous long lasting benefits such as the immortally awesome horse and 2 new ways to handle battles. Not to mention an epic new dragon summon.

You sound the most up-their-own-ass person ever right now. This "expansion" is not big. Nowhere near as big as Shivering Isles, to mention. If this is DAH GREATEST DLC EVAR DUHHH then you've got some serious gaming to catch up on. Its tiny, the only 2 "big" places are The Forgotten Vale, and the new dungeon/sidequest place called Azgamrblahblah or whatever. "Tons of new abilities"? Theres less than 10 for both werewolf and Vampire each.

Only things that really made it for me was learning about Snow Elves FROM a Snow Elf and the two dragons bursting out the ice.

Also, it feels really rushed. On the Dawnguard side, you barely do anything with them, you do all the quests that the vamp side does, and the fort doesnt even get upgraded par a few wooden walls out the front. As soon as you defeat the last boss, thats it. Its over. Done. No huge woohoo from Dawnguard or big party for taking over the castle. Theres plenty more but i dont remember things when i want too.

Highly disappointed with this DLC, hope the next one is worth the 1.6k msp.:(

You sound the most up-their-own-ass person ever right now. This "expansion" is not big. Nowhere near as big as Shivering Isles, to mention. If this is DAH GREATEST DLC EVAR DUHHH then you've got some serious gaming to catch up on. Its tiny, the only 2 "big" places are The Forgotten Vale, and the new dungeon/sidequest place called Azgamrblahblah or whatever. "Tons of new abilities"? Theres less than 10 for both werewolf and Vampire each.

Only things that really made it for me was learning about Snow Elves FROM a Snow Elf and the two dragons bursting out the ice.

Also, it feels really rushed. On the Dawnguard side, you barely do anything with them, you do all the quests that the vamp side does, and the fort doesnt even get upgraded par a few wooden walls out the front. As soon as you defeat the last boss, thats it. Its over. Done. No huge woohoo from Dawnguard or big party for taking over the castle. Theres plenty more but i dont remember things when i want too.

Highly disappointed with this DLC, hope the next one is worth the 1.6k msp.:(

While I wouldn't say I was disappointed with this DLC, I certainly agree with a lot of your points. As soon as I saw a trailer for it I knew the DLC would focus on the ever profitable gimmick of the Vampire. I really wish games would stop making content about fucking Halloween creatures and costumes to appeal to all the hipsters and emo kids. It makes games look bad. Game developers need to show that games can be made for mature and intelligent audiences, audiences that can actually pay attention to lore and story and focus on the narrative being rolled out in front of them as it happens. I know SO MANY people who have played the ever-living fuck out of Skyrim, and yet never beaten the main questline, or only recently finished it. That is sad, people. It really is.

^ I agree the price is steep but it is far worth it in my books. Bethesda is not known for screwing it's fans over with shitty DLC like some devs (*cough EA *cough) do. even EPIC has sold us DLC on disk on at least one occasion (horde comand pack in Gears 3) which absolutely astonishes me, that someone creating such a loyal fanbase and great games over the years can piss on us like that.

I enjoyed it, but it was not up to the level that Shivering Isles was, I felt it was more like the Knights of the Nine DLC. it did have a few annoying glitches, l had it freeze on me a few times, the framerate would get really bad making it hard to move, sometimes the vampire chick that is your follower would disappear, when going for the werewolf perks sometimes my character would freeze before finishing the attack animation & one quest glitched on me.

Kotaku wrote a perfect review of this which I couldn't agree with more.

http://kotaku.com/5922058/skyrim-dawnguard-the-kotaku-review

It's good but for twenty dollars, I would recommend waiting for a deal of the week or the inevitable but far away game of the year edition. There wasn't anything wrong with it exactly but it sure didn't feel like a huge expansion that Bethesda claimed it was going to be.

From an achievement point of view, I spent probably 30% of my total game time with junk save files running around on a march of destruction leveling the vampire and werewolf perks to eleven, the former of the two being slightly more fun but both being completely forgettable. Also I'm glad I had the Ohgma Infinium sitting in a dresser drawer unused, so I was able to cheat my way to level 81 and get the Legendary achievement with little hassle. I never used the glitch back in the day but at level 67 I had no skills that I could increase without massive, boring grinding.

All in all for ten or maybe fifteen dollars I could recommend this but for a third of the original game's price tag, I'd say it's for fans only.

It's good but for twenty dollars, I would recommend waiting for a deal of the week or the inevitable but far away game of the year edition. There wasn't anything wrong with it exactly but it sure didn't feel like a huge expansion that Bethesda claimed it was going to be.

From an achievement point of view, I spent probably 30% of my total game time with junk save files running around on a march of destruction leveling the vampire and werewolf perks to eleven, the former of the two being slightly more fun but both being completely forgettable. Also I'm glad I had the Ohgma Infinium sitting in a dresser drawer unused, so I was able to cheat my way to level 81 and get the Legendary achievement with little hassle. I never used the glitch back in the day but at level 67 I had no skills that I could increase without massive, boring grinding.

All in all for ten or maybe fifteen dollars I could recommend this but for a third of the original game's price tag, I'd say it's for fans only.

Couldn't have said it better myself

so far I am having a lot of fun with Dawnguard, but I definitely agree 20$ is questionable.. I haven't seen all the DLC has to offer, but as a huge Bethesda fan, I don't have a problem with the quality, just the quantity.

This DLC is a solid 8 and maybe even a 9. It has everything a DLC should have.

It has it's own, reasonably long, questline which can be played twice from two different perspectives.

!!! SPOILERS BELOW !!!

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

It includes a few new places, Fort Dawnguard and Castle Volkhir, the Soul Cairn and the beatiful Forgotten Vale and Ancestral Glade.

Finally, it gives the player things to take back into the full game and/or future DLC.

-You get to increase your Werewolf prowess.

-Or gain the ability to transform into a "Vampire Lord" and improve that form.

-You are also given the addition of Crossbows and various Bolts.

-The ability to smith Dragonbone weapons.

-You can now craft your own arrows.

-A new demon horse "Arvak".

-New dragon shouts.

-Auriel's bow allows the sun to be blacked out and also allows the use of the sun as a weapon against your enemies.

And probably a lot more but that is all that comes to mind right now.

The only downsides I can think of are:-

-The cave system leading to the Vale was sometimes too dark to see the route to follow even at very high screen brightness.

-Dialogue options with the SNOW ELF were very limited, I mean you were led to believe they were extinct and you don't even get much dialogue.

-The two factions played out very similarly and didn't offer much variation of each other apart from (Crossbows vs Vampire Lord ability) and (Fort Dawnguard vs Castle Volkhir) and (killing vampires vs kiling dawnguards).

-Finally, eight months was just too long to wait. I can only hope the next DLC takes no longer than six months, if there is one.

The price tag is tricky as gameplay wise there's not that much content (in proportion to the main game). I've played around 10 hours and only have to grind the werewolf perks and I'll have my 100% back. I've not done all of the non-achievement sidequests, mind.

From a development point of view then I can see the price tag reasoning. When you think about how crappy map packs go (rightly or wrongly) for 1200 msp these days then the amount of work in this, through new characters, voice acting, all the new places (not just copy-pasted caves -- there's some massive landscapes like the Soul Cairn), new perk trees and a whole new way of playing... well there's a lot they've had to do.

I just think with all the time it must have took Bethesda to make this, they could have put more actual gameplay into it.

As a personal criticism I've not had too much actual fun, but I can't tell if that's the expansion or just Skyrim. After playing Kingdoms of Amalur, The Witcher 2 and Dragon's Dogma since finishing with this game months ago, I did start to notice that beforehand playing Skyrim I don't think I ever had too much fun. I think that's because I don't think the story in this game is up to par with The Witcher, and the combat is incredibly weak compared to Amalur and DD. At the time I didn't mind, but going back now to revisit Skyrim, well I've just kind of realised it now.

P.S. I like the Vampire Lord for the most part -- it's a cool addition -- but why the hell do they give you this power and then force you a.) Into third person and b.) Into being too big to easily navigate around many of the caves the story takes place in! At parts I had to switch back to human form because I actually couldn't fit through entrances! Which in itself wouldn't be too bad, if switching back and forth wasn't so tedious.

Just thought I'd say, I would just like to say thanks to everyone who shared their opinions! :p

I was intending to get this, but I wasn't sure whether to buy it straight away or wait a few weeks for my free Amazon voucher to come through, but judging from some of your view-points on the price tag, I'll just wait for the voucher :)

I need to complete DA:O anyway, so that should keep me busy :D

Thanks!