Campaign Dissapointment? Lets talk! may have spoilers

SIR TRICE

hmmm soo

i;ve been looking forward to halo reaches campaign ever since i saw those grainy photos appear on this site that everyone was hoping were real and not a fake april fools joke...

so after i arrived home at 12 30 launch night with my legendary edition i decieded to play threw the campaign with 3 friends on heroic....

game starts off....first mission is jam packed full of action. im thinking to myself "holy shit this is gonna be so sick...gonna be so much epic shit going on, giant battles..."

and then it hit me when i was on mission 8...

this game has 10 missions...okay i know halo is abotu the mutliplayer but goddamn this campaign is short...and the missions are....like...boring?

idk i think its cool you fly a ship like star fox in a mission but other then that....

its so idk linear and boring...

halo 3's campagin had alot more going on

i was hoping this was going to be epic and have HUGE battles erupting around every corner, and idk...it just feels as if they never develop the characters enough, you have no emotional bond between any of them...

the games good dont get me wrong, i;m not a complete hater its just it could be so much better.... i guess gears of war 3 is going to stomp out all the competion but until then i'll be owning on reaches mutliplayer...

i just feel also the firefight is a ltitle weak...sure its sick you can make your own stuff in it but the levels arent as cool as odst fire fight....

i want to hear everyone else's input. please no flaming, i love halo i have since halo 1...its just....this game could hold more room in my heart if the single/co op campaign had a little more bang for its buck

*spoilers everywhere*

I completely agree. The campaign was lacking but you know, I wasn't really surprised. I never buy a Halo game expecting a fantastic story or anything, I buy it for the gameplay.

There were certain things that I felt were done right (such as the appearance of Cortona and the Master Chief easter egg) but the characters weren't developed at all.

Whenever one of them would die I would say to myself "yep". The other characters didn't even seem to care. And yes they're suppose to be cold blooded killers or whatever but I would have loved to have seen them get a little emotional after a death. Some of the deaths weren't even really necessary (Kat's).

Not to mention there were no battles where I felt "Holy shit, how am I going to do this". I remember lots of missions from other Halo games, but there wasn't anything too special about any of these.

I still had oodles of fun playing it though.

Edited by Grandma Frank

What annoys me is the campaign was definitely lacking. Some good moments but utterly average, yet sooo many review sites have given it 10/10 or 90+%. This is just rubbish. The multiplayer is excellent but the multiplayer is only half the story. Factoring in the campaign, the multiplayer and firefight I'd have to give the game a a generous 8/10. The campaign isn't bad, it's just uninspired and I don't know why almost all review sites fail to pick up on it and still gave it full marks.

Overall I am satisfied with the campaign. Currently I'm on my legendary playthrough and (due to lack of skill) I haven't finished one mission yet under 1 hour.

I liked the death of Kat, 'cause it was no heroic death, more like a "this happens even to the best of us" death, but I would have liked a better reaction, like "shoot the bastard down" and your back in action.

What I didn't get was the cortana stuff. Okay there is an AI which has some vital information (of course uploaded by a user (in this case I guess Jorge's mother)) but this whole "she choosed you noble 6" bull* was weird. In the end Cortana is an AI like any other (her role evolves later in Halo through Halo 3).

What I also did not understand was why everyone of the noble team had to die. Sure, Reach fell, that's the main story, but one of the top teams loses every member. Naaah. If at least some of them would have survived it would have left some open space for a story add-on.

But, again, I am satisfied with the campaign and as we all know the focus is on the multiplayer Bungie did a great job.

the thing i notcied and liked was the overhual of covenet forces....... granted there humor in the other games was a blast but really like the redo on them....... also how can you not spot a super carrier sneaking into your system/planet and set up a huge cloaking field ???? on top of that not spoting them on the planet in the first place until they attack you :confused:

hmmm... I really enjoyed the campaign. I admit the character development was better before the game came out than during the actual game. But compared to the other Halo games, the character development was MUCH better. I enjoyed the campaign. I still think Combat Evolved was the best. But this one is a close second in my opinion.

@8...who said the game did not offer a lot? Every single person who has commented is obviously a fan of the game. There, amazingly enough, has not been one troll on this thread.

damnit... I just jinxed it.

The campaign was short true but I really enjoyed it.

I liked how the spartans died one at a time, with the exception of Kat taking a bullet in the back of the head they all got to face their ends their own way. Even the dude at the end with a energy sword through his gut still took the elite down with him. Tough bastard.

There's already several threads on this, but I'll jump in this one anyway.

Yes I agree the story was incredibly weak. The only possible way to enjoy it is if you already have a lot of prior knowledge of the Halo universe. Some questions that should have been answered in game are; Why is Reach so important? Why is it such a big deal that the Covenant found it? Who is Dr. Halsey? Why did Jorge call her "mom"?(she isn't really his mother by the way) These are questions that are easily answered if you know a little bit about the Halo universe, but you shouldn't be required to gain outside information to understand major plot points, these should be explained in-game.

The way I described it is that the campaign is full of epic moments that are incredibly fun to play through, but that's all it is: moments. Loosely connected individual moments with no cohesive story thread to tie everything together. The big top secret mission that made Noble Team so famous is only the last level of the game, and it really could have basically been handled with an e-mail.

...it just feels as if they never develop the characters enough, you have no emotional bond between any of them...

That's how I've felt about all the Halo games. Everyone says how there's this great story but I for one never really was drawn into it or even cared about ANY of the characters, even Master Chief.

I too breezed through the campaign the first day, on Legendary with 3 buddies. Now I'm doing my Legendary solo run and it takes about 2 hours for each mission and I really have to plan out and strategize on how I'm going to survive and get passed certain parts. It's quite fun.

But still, the story and characters suck. The gameplay is where it's at.

Well I work 11 hour shifts and if I spend all my time dreaming about playing a game I know its awesome to me. The obsession with Halo Reach for me was unbearable. I'll have to admit this is the first Halo I've loved. Or should i say obsessed with. I like the others but nothing compared to the joy I've received from this one. After 3 or 4 runs thru the campaign my complaints are limited to how much i suck at doing certain tasks. (My main complaint: why have jetpacks and every good sniper spot is attached with a warning that you're leaving the battlefield?)http://card.mygamercard.net/crest/islehopnpriest.png

I liked the death of Kat, 'cause it was no heroic death, more like a "this happens even to the best of us" death, but I would have liked a better reaction, like "shoot the bastard down" and your back in action.

What I also did not understand was why everyone of the noble team had to die. Sure, Reach fell, that's the main story, but one of the top teams loses every member. Naaah. If at least some of them would have survived it would have left some open space for a story add-on.

First off LOL i love Kat to death and she was the only one i was actually sad that died just because she seemed so innocent. but all in all she got CARMINE'D hard.

Secondly... i would like to say everyone in noble team had to die. no matter what. because if you watch the ending cutscene you see Autumn heading toward the first halo. which is exactly where HALO: CE starts if i am correct. also remember that john(chief for u banwagons) is the LAST spartan. which in turn leaves absolutely no "story add-on" like you mention.

IMO- campaign was quite entertaining. solo legendary is a pain but its very rewarding when u finish a mission. i believe there could have been some bigger battles, and your spartan team could have actually killed stuff, other than Jun that is. he actually helped. all in all it was pretty good for a closure to HALO

Story was weak, save for some spots here and there. The lack of a solid explanation for the attack was unforgivable. Yes, they explained it. But it was a half-assed explanation. Searching for the forerunners. Sure. Okay. How the hell did they know there were forerunner artifacts on Reach? Why, as someone already mentioned, did NO ONE see or hear them before they'd set up a goddamn city on Reach? Why the hell did Cortana choose Six? What was so special about him? What impact did his death have on her plans? If Master Chief was already on Reach, why didn't she choose him?

Meh. Wasn't terrible. But it certainly wasn't what Bungie's final effort in the franchise should've been.

For those who are wondering about the storyline, Reach completely FUBAR-ed the back story set by the novels.

As far as I am concerned, the novels are true canon. NOT this game.

In the novels, the Covenant found Reach because during one invasion, they planted a tracking bug on Keye's previous destroyer. This lead them straight to Reach.

As for how did the Covenant land such a big force without anyone knowing? They didn't in the novels.

What happened was much better. The Covenant arrived in force with an armada hoping to bring down Reach but discovered they couldn't punch through the orbital defenses. So they sent suicide squads down to take out the planetside generators.

This was where the major land battle happened. I was hoping they would set the game somewhere inside this major battle which would have been epic.

As for why Cortana chose Six? Again, she didn't.

In the novels, Cortana was already onboard the Autumn. The ship was ALREADY heading out system on a mission when they received transmission that Reach was being invaded and they headed back to defend it.

The Autumn was never caught on the ground

Also, in the novels, Halsey didn't discover the S-III program until much later and never met any of the S-IIIs until she reached planet Onyx.

As you can see, the novels created this wonderful backdrop for the games. The various authors tried as much as possible to have consistency between the novels. And then Reach comes along and screws things up.

Whoever wrote the story for Reach should be shot.

For those who are wondering about the storyline, Reach completely FUBAR-ed the back story set by the novels.

As far as I am concerned, the novels are true canon. NOT this game.

In the novels, the Covenant found Reach because during one invasion, they planted a tracking bug on Keye's previous destroyer. This lead them straight to Reach.

As for how did the Covenant land such a big force without anyone knowing? They didn't in the novels.

What happened was much better. The Covenant arrived in force with an armada hoping to bring down Reach but discovered they couldn't punch through the orbital defenses. So they sent suicide squads down to take out the planetside generators.

This was where the major land battle happened. I was hoping they would set the game somewhere inside this major battle which would have been epic.

As for why Cortana chose Six? Again, she didn't.

In the novels, Cortana was already onboard the Autumn. The ship was ALREADY heading out system on a mission when they received transmission that Reach was being invaded and they headed back to defend it.

The Autumn was never caught on the ground

Also, in the novels, Halsey didn't discover the S-III program until much later and never met any of the S-IIIs until she reached planet Onyx.

As you can see, the novels created this wonderful backdrop for the games. The various authors tried as much as possible to have consistency between the novels. And then Reach comes along and screws things up.

Whoever wrote the story for Reach should be shot.

^ I was waiting for someone to mention this.

Thank you.

Eric Nylund is a legend, First Strike & Fall of Reach were immense, any REAL Halo fans would have read them. What I want to know is like you said, who wrote them & rightly so should be shot.

This was meant to be Bungie's "swan song", well it's like the couldn't be bothered campaign wise. Like the whole transition/break/story whatever over Bungie & 343. They lacked inspiration. Started off well with the first mission, though cinematic's & story opening is something I frown on especially after the back story that was brilliantly detailed in the novels.

Kind of played out like Gears 1, feels like you've been drugged or passed out then wake up in the next mission like wtf is going on??? That or it just doesn't make sense. That or it's just so linear.

Atm I'm in that "survive" mission after credits, thinking I may as well just purposely die, no real bonus is there? *yawn*