Good for losing weight?

Panic1604670117

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Want something breakthrough for losing weight? Diet and exercise. Stop trying to associate playing video games in your living room as a way to lose weight. Maybe good for a nice warm up or after workout session but I wouldn't expect any console peripheral to drop an astonishing amount of weight on anyone.

I'm honestly impressed, I've been using EA Active 2 for about two months now. (Got it early through work) and have been getting one hell of a workout from it. It has had a genuine impact on shifting some of my "I just turned 30 and can no longer eat what I want when I want and drink all that beer" gut off of my waist and allowed me to shift some of that weight to actual muscles in my legs (Frigging squats are evil, I think that game is out to kill me via them).

To be honest I think you would get better results from going to the gym. Or maybe use the gym once or twice a week and kinect on other days.

If you want to use the kinect only, I suppose it would be better than doing no exercise at all.

I go to the gym or swim 3 times a week. Ideally I would like to go more. But sometimes I get bored with the gym and it’s really hard to motivate my self. I hope to get a kinect soon to motivate me to exercise a bit more, or to use when I can’t get to the gym for some reason such as getting snowed in.

Also you need to watch what you eat like previous posters have said, I know it’s more difficult to do in reality than it sounds. But it’s totally worth it when you start to see results. :)

I happen to know that im getting a kinect for christmas and im looking forward to working out with it. I have always been into games and cardioworkout. Me, myself HATES to run. It´s so much more fun to play games (even if they are more of a fitnessprogram than a game). (Have been playing yourself fitness and get fit with mel b... and tried out zumba, not the game, the dvd).

Recently i started to play "the fight" with playstation move and holy shit! Im hitting the gym 5 times a week and im doing cardio like once or twice a week (Cause it sucks, hope kinect helps me with that) and i was so tired after just 1-2 fights. Today im sore all over the body, both arms, the sides of my core and my traps are insane atm.

Like i said i really looking forward to yourself fitness... and dance central (should be kind of heavy for the cardio aswell)

And My Point For All This... If i can train my body to look good with videogames im 100% sure that you can loose weight with kinect, no doubt about it! I don´t need to loose any fat, but it´s always good to trim those muscles of yours and keep your sixpack;)

Edited by JeJans

whoever thinks it wont help at all are a bit naive. obviously any sort of excercise will help you lose weight along with a good health diet.

you dont have to go to a gym to lose weight. sure they are equiped well to do certain things but its not essential to be a member of a gym to be healthy. if you dont have time for the gym or sports its a good substitution. waggling your arms a bit wont do anything though lol.

As long as you give accurate information on the game regarding your size and weight then it should be fairly accurate to how many calories that you're able to burn. These games aren't a bad thing. Might be a stepping stone for some people to get motivated and start making healthier lifestyle choices.

Want something breakthrough for losing weight? Diet and exercise. Stop trying to associate playing video games in your living room as a way to lose weight. Maybe good for a nice warm up or after workout session but I wouldn't expect any console peripheral to drop an astonishing amount of weight on anyone.

Maybe you have never hear of a little something called DDR (Dance Dance Revolution) Hell that came out on the PS1 and if you actually put the time into it you could give yourself one hell of a work out. Especially if you play on heavy mode.

Maybe you have never hear of a little something called DDR (Dance Dance Revolution) Hell that came out on the PS1 and if you actually put the time into it you could give yourself one hell of a work out. Especially if you play on heavy mode.

yeah i'm not sure why he thinks excercising with a game is any different than normal excercise. i mean i lost weight when i had to walk to and from work an hour a day lol.

anything that keeps you active is good for you. i mean if you dont keep at it it will not work and if you pile burgers down your throat everyday aswell it wont work.

but you dont have to go to a gym to be healthy

On it's own? No.

With a decent diet/portion control, then it's better than nothing.

I bought Kinect and YS:FE to add to the gym/running/fitness classes I already do - plus to finally get my wife interested in gaming.

Personally I can burn far more calories running/eliptical/RPM class, but with YS:FE it gives me a chance to do classes I wouldn't do at the gym due to my piss poor co-ordination! It adds a good variety into my existing fitness routine, and provides a different workout so my body doesn't get used to just one thing.

Any exercise is better than no exercise at all. Personally I'm not convinced games like the ones available for the Kinect are enough to really loose weight or perform good exercise.

Watch what you eat, take up running or something like that and stick to it. If you just exercise without changing your diet as well, then it won't work.

I really believe that the game(s) won't transform an obese person into a model...but on the margin...it will make improvements for people that are in some degree of shape. As was said earlier...there is no magic pill...but I view these games as a nice enhancement to an already established fitness routine.

I've played through the entire Kinect Adventures and I think that a gym would be better, but the Reflex Ridge minigame is a pretty good workout - especially the Olympian level. For what it's worth, in Adventures, the most-to-least taxing workout minigames are:

Reflex Ridge - almost always heart-pumping

Rally Ball - not much of a game, but makes you flail a lot

River Rush - more fun, not so much of a workout

Space Pop - I GUESS your arms get tired after many games of this.

20,000 Leaks - this is neither fun nor a workout