The great 'Y' debate & how it affects YOU!

Ok, I've just lost out AGAIN to a question asking 'how many vowels in <this word>?'. In both occasions, the word had a Y in it. Now we all know Ys can be both vowel and consonant, but this game doesn't seem to distinguish between the two!

Example in point;

How many vowels in the word 'SYLLABLE'?

- You'd immediately think 2 (A & E), but the Y is a substitute for an I in this example, so the answer is 3!

- THE GAME'S ANSWER - 3

How many vowels in the name 'SIMON SAYS'?

- Again, you'd immediately go for 3 (I, O & A) & you'd be completely correct as the Y is now a consonant; the preceeding A is the active vowel.

- THE GAME'S ANSWER - 4

I missed my first f*cking million because of this dang-stupid oversight! I demand justice! For GREAT Justice!

• 2 weeks later...

Dependent on how a Y is used it can be a vowel or not.

For instance if the letter Y is used in the word say it is silent meaning it is NOT a vowel and it is also in conjuntion with another vowel.

Now if it is used in the word Syllable it IS a vowel because it is being substituted as a I sound and not silent or connected to other vowels.

Needless to say I missed all these fucking questions too until I had someone much better at english explain this crap to me and then I probably didnt explain it as correctly as they did.

Im sure the other vowels hate Y as much as we do.

• 4 weeks later...