Dragon Age 2, A disappointment.

Alucard9184

Everyone hates the second game of a franchise. Sure there are exceptions but usually the develops try to do the thigns they wanted to the first time around and for the fans it comes up short or they change it too much they don't accept it. I'm not that far in to the game, but I am enjoying it. With Origins I didn't like it at first but it grew on me and I like it more and more every time I played it. I'm not really sure why so many people don't like DA2, all the complaints I keep hearing are things I've seen/done in Origins lol.

I personally couldn't stand DA:O. I completed it for gamerscore and that was it. Everybody praised the game like it was a present sent to Earth from God himself. Not all that amazing to me. Very boring combat. That was my only real gripe.

... way to easy even in nightmare difficulty...

I think we are playing a different game, you can't be serious about this. It might be a walk-in-the-park on the first two settings, yeah, but not on nightmare, it aint. Probably you should try it. :) (For the record, I am by far not the most awesome player ever, granted, but still took me only two tries for the infamous Harvester fight on hard setting in DA:O, so it is not just my inability speaking here.)

Your argument has no basis. Female hawke with male voice? haven't seen it, achievements not popping? not me. Not deep enough? surely the political struggle and the complete collapse of kirkwall is truly a deep story yet you sound like just another kid who looks at everything at face value, if you don't like it, get some support for your arguments besides my character sounds like a dyke.

EDIT: also, too easy? try dueling the Arishok one on one on hard and tell me how easy a time it is.

For most people i think they will like this game but, It comes short compering it to it's predecessor.

The game lacks deep and is way to easy even in nightmare difficulty , the game can be clear in less that 50 hrs which is a rip off, not to mention the countless Bugs for some of the quest, achievements that never get unlock and the voice, like the female Hawke having male voice.

If the Developers thought that by adding some of the characters from the previous game was going to help carry the success in this on, They were clearly WRONG, Don't Get me wrong i loved the DA origins and Awakening and all the extra down loads. But like i said DA 2 relay way to much on the history of the first, I'm sure many will disagree so give ur opinion.

Do you mean depth? In what way exactly?

50 hours of gameplay is equivalent to 3 16-hour days if you sleep 8 hours each day. How many "regular" people do you think will sit for 16 hours, with no breaks and play a game?

It took me 4 days to play through and I put in around 12 hours two of those days. But I played through all the cut scenes and listened to the dialogue. Explored and didn't consult any achievement guides. I still finished with 40 achievements. (755/1130)

For most people this will be a 2-3 week game if they play a little each night after work/school. Most adults can't commit more than 5 hours a day for leisure. I think this gameplay time is a good balance for the hardcore and casual players. Extremely long games might turn some people off. If you're into unending gameplay try something like WoW.

AND of course the second one relies on the story of the first one it's a SEQUEL. ;)

Also.. I hope English is your second language. Otherwise you should probably be in school paying attention instead of playing games all day long :p

I agree that this game is a letdown. Comparing this game to the first, it fails to exceed it, which is what a sequel should do.

DA2 is a watered down experience. Much like Fable 3 was to Fable 2. There are a few improvements, but the restrictions given to the players do not outweigh these positives, for me.

The game is enjoyable, yes, but really falls flat. Rather than feeling like a grand adventure (like the first game) it feels more like a series of fetch quests.

Cons I have with DA2:

The entire game takes place in the same city with a few excursions to outlying areas around the city. You visit and re-visit the exact same locations over and over throughout the game, which gives it a "in a tube" feel. Many quests can become unavailable to you if you advance the story too far, which is restricting and adds to the linear feeling. While I can't complain about the time you can spend playing to finish the game, revisiting the same spots over and over to see if a new area is now open to you just makes it boring.

Interactions with party members are reduced to quest lines. In DA: O, you could visit your party camp to speak with members, learn their stories, give them gifts, start a relationship, etc. In DA2, you are given "quests" at specific points in the game to speak with a certain member, either through story progression, having completed enough side-quests or by having found a gift for one of them.

You cannot change the armor of other members, either. This really defeats the point of having several different types of equipment available to you if you can only equip new armor to Hawke. If you are playing a Rogue, chances are good you don't need the option to purchase Heavy Armors for them. As someone else pointed out, the resell value for useless equipment is extremely low, as well and winds up being mostly clutter in your inventory.

The leveling tree is limited now, as well. Things like your lock picking skill are integrated into your Cunning statistic. Not a horrible choice, but the overall execution of this system further adds to the watered down approach they have taken with this game.

Party members are less interesting, but this is likely due to the fact that your interactions with them are limited by Bioware. I'd probably care more about them if I could pick and choose who I wanted to chat up at any given moment.

Pros with DA2 are:

Character models look a little better and the combat is a little more satisfying, though it would have been nice to have included the option to play the game as in DA: O for those that prefer it.

All in all, the game feels more like you're playing "levels" and was, obviously, designed to have greater appeal to the casual market.

I am enjoying it, but I can't help but wish it retained more of it's roots. Game Of The Year, this is not.

As a sidenote, the day one DLC that was included with the Signature Edition is borked. As is usual, but in this instance, the achievements don't even unlock at all. Most of the time, they will unlock, but not update correctly. This particular set just doesn't even bother.