Multiplayer - any bad experiences?

jae200

Thought it would be fun to start a thread on this.. I'm not a big multiplayer guy.. Some games have been fun in the past, Gears 2, Red Dead Redemption.. I enjoyed Red Faction Armageddon until I got all the achievements.. And I've really enjoyed the multiplayer in Mass Effect 3.

I've heard people complain about guys joining games and not playing... Just to collect the credits. I've only had 2 experiences with this.. My 2nd was today. A guy sets himself as ready to play, the game starts and he goes and ducks behind a box and sits out for 5 rounds.. Suddenly he gets loud in the mic 'Hey teammates, hey teammates! Thanks for protecting me, I went out for a smoke'.. For 5 rounds?? Not only that, nobody protected him, we all would turn and look towards his blue outline behind the box and just stare. Then he proceeded to berate others for not getting to the landing zone fast enough in round 11 after we still got full extraction.

Mostly its been good experiences though. Any thoughts?

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have played very, very little outside of private matches. I was shocked at how awful my experience was as a whole.

People tried kicking other players on bronze, which I find absurd. I caught flack and got negative repped simply for using a Vanguard in a match. I also ran into at least one AFK trying to mooch in almost a handful of the 10-15 matches I played in pubs. Most salient, and a root of a few of the problems above, the scorewhoring was really disconcerting. It's all people seemed to care about.

I did not play any pub gold matches, though. I would imagine that these problems are less pervasive in a mode where most people are just struggling to reach the end.

Wow what a dick hole. I HOPE you filed non recommend on him. Ive had more issues with the game its self. Stuck in floor, powers not working, gun not reloading to full had in various maps but reactor level i had all of these. EA has shittiest severs ever even my ps3 is better.(when i play it) than crappy EA servers.. Ive had occasional person who wont turn down mic very disruptive easy fix i turn on my wireless and sit on floor by the sw, lol. And little kids crying you took my kill blah blah we are on the same team and all get xp gor working together....i swear....kids.:uzi:

Edited by Darth Cuda

I didn't file a non-recommend on him originally but did go back and do that. I don't really see score whoring as too much of a problem with this game (unlike some others). I think the way its setup with getting points for an assist is pretty nice.. If you don't get the kill, you at least get something. I'm usually on the lower end of scoring but some games I've managed around 50k.

On some of the later waves I've been known to pull out the missile launcher and take out a huge group of enemies at once mainly when you see ravagers, banshees and brutes all together but my goal isn't to rack up the score but to help clear the tougher enemies for the team. No idea what others think about that.. :)

It's good for the most part. Same as any game though, if you play public matches expect to run in to some real dicks. I've had a few games where people ready up, then don't play the match at all, maybe they run to the extraction zone if I'm lucky. More than a few times, I've been in a game where there are one or two guys who just refuse to pick anyone up when they go down, which is extremely annoying if they are playing an infiltrator or salarian engineer.

The most annoying thing I've had happen though was a guy who was kill stealing on me. I know everyone shares points and I have the veteran achievement so I don't care most of the time. This guy was purposely following me, waiting for me to overload and take the enemies down to about 2-3 sections of health, then unloading with a charged geth shotgun blast to kill them. Wouldn't have bothered me if he would have been using powers or shooting at them more than just the final shot to get a kill.

I experienced my first modded game today.

As soon as the game started, it said we were on wave 6 and all the enemies were Cerberus, despite the fact it said we were fighting Reapers. The host was moving extremely fast and seemed to have infinite ammo.

I left as soon as I figured out what was going on, but now I'm scared that I'll be reset for something I didn't do. I have reported the host, and I hope that this doesn't happen to me again.

Be careful, guys.

Today I ran into and invisible turret. You could see the health and shields meter pop up and hear the sounds of shooting and even die, but no physical turret. Also, on the reactor stage, tons of bugs with enemies getting stuck in the rafter roof tops. There was one instance where there was one Cerberus left and I looked up in the rafters and saw him lying down stuck. Fortunately I was able to snipe his foot and kill him with my M98 Widow sniper rifle. There are times where a missle wouldn't even kill the stuck enemy and the entire match was lost. There goes 20 mins down the drain....

I once entered the basement in firebase glacier and there were 2 cerberus soldiers stacked on two other soliders like a small wall off them. I guess it glitch when spawning them. I shot and killed them all and they never fought back.

Also I've been in a game where everyone had damn near infinite shields that recharged super quickly. Too bad it was a bronze game.

Also joined a friends game and it glitched where I couldn't damage any of the enemy units. Also a lone turret in that game keep Fing me up and no one else could see it or interact with it.

I've only run into one person who went and hid to collect credits. Funny thing is he never got downed at all. He must have done this before to pick the best hiding spot.

My biggest thing in multiplayer -- besides people taking forever to ready-up -- is kill stealing. I'm sure we've all done it, we all go for the same person and maybe a teammate put more bullets into the enemy but you got the kill. That just happens. But I've had teammates watch me empty a clip into an enemy and right as I reload or go to use a power: sniped.

I had one teammate do that for every kill in a match. I'd whittle down the health, he wouldn't help at all, and right as I'm about to finish him off he'd snipe them.

If I come up on teammate and he's shooting a guy, I will usually let them finish unless they get into trouble. I try my best to not blatantly steal a kill.

A few times, I've started lagging out hardcore; my bullets did no damage and when other people went down, I couldn't revive them. I could still take damage, but I couldn't contribute in any meaningful way.

I also have had a few instances where people just hide somewhere and don't move. When I'm with a team full of idiots, a lot of the time, they don't notice, and basically will die trying to revive the guy who isn't doing a fuckin thing. It also seems like back in the lobby, I'm the only one voting to boot.

The thing that bothers me the most, though, is people who don't even bother trying to complete the objectives. In a lot of rounds, it ends up being just me, so I'll die while trying to complete one of the four objectives that makes you crouch down and doesn't let you fire off a shot while everyone else is running around trying to get kills. This wouldn't be the most annoying if it didn't seem to happen in at least as many matches as it doesn't happen.

I try not to give a shit about kill-steals. Usually, lately, I'm playing as an Asari adept, and it sort of makes sense to shoot the guy that's conveniently not moving in the lil blue bubble. Sometimes, I get annoyed, because I'll often throw a 'warp' in the middle of a group of enemies for the sake of detonating it a bit later, and people take out that guy before I can, but since it's cooperative, it's something I try not to give a shit about.

i like the mp overall, i just once joined a quick match on bronze and on wave 11 whith only 16 secs to go, the host left and we got the host migration and restarting wave thing. only thing was, it restarted us on wave 1 instead of reatarting wave 11.

Firebase White, trying to farm gold and someone you think is going to be useful because they're running a salarian engineer turns out to be a grab fag who'll deliberately misplace the decoy and/or (usually and) let the choke point get overrun to get grab kills. Usually the same tard that causes one of the geth hunters to glitch out.

I just finished a match a while ago in which two such asshats let me bleed out right next to them while they fought over who got to grab the most enemies, before inevitably getting slaughtered.

when 3/4 people are ready the 4th person never clicks ready.

The hosting player leaves in the middle of a game.

Some dude following me and taking my kills. (wich i dont mind really but still annoying as hell.

1 or 2 people running around like crazy on gold in wave 9 and end up getting killed then when we try to revive him the rest of us gets killed.

and something i noticed. When i become the host when the old one leaves my Xbox crashes. So if any of you are in the same team as i when i become host SORRY!!

I once entered the basement in firebase glacier and there were 2 cerberus soldiers stacked on two other soliders like a small wall off them. I guess it glitch when spawning them. I shot and killed them all and they never fought back.

Also I've been in a game where everyone had damn near infinite shields that recharged super quickly. Too bad it was a bronze game.

Also joined a friends game and it glitched where I couldn't damage any of the enemy units. Also a lone turret in that game keep Fing me up and no one else could see it or interact with it.

Heh.. I've seen this a couple times, both with cerberus. Once we got down to the last enemy and found him floating completely still in the air (he was one that jetpacks in) and we all found him and unloaded at him doing no damage then miraculously he died.. The other time there were 2 soldiers stacked on top of each other like you said.. I melee killed the bottom guy and then the other fell to the ground to die.

Firebase White, trying to farm gold and someone you think is going to be useful because they're running a salarian engineer turns out to be a grab fag who'll deliberately misplace the decoy and/or (usually and) let the choke point get overrun to get grab kills. Usually the same tard that causes one of the geth hunters to glitch out.

I just finished a match a while ago in which two such asshats let me bleed out right next to them while they fought over who got to grab the most enemies, before inevitably getting slaughtered.

Ahh yeah, I saw that once before. Three of us ran over to the hacking objective, and this one guy stayed behind cover grabbing enemies. That match we also had a Salarian engineer whom apparently didn't know how to use decoy.

And wow, for a change I thought I'd join a public gold lobby. Got kicked out of every game I joined. How peculiar. I guess they thought a level 12 infiltrator shouldn't be on gold; had no problems getting highest score at that level on gold before. Evidently they overlooked my N7 level of 237, but considering the classes they planned on using, I would probably have ended up reviving people non-stop.

And now the EA servers aren't even available.

I may be getting burned out on the multiplayer or maybe just need to take a little break from it.. I was playing just now with a guy whose N7 rating was over 1000 and he went down more than any of us and didn't seem to grasp the point of the objectives.. While uploading data, everyone else went down and he was the only one left.. He would walk right past geth troopers and never used melee to take them out and would just run away and use his Phaeston X from far away and with 1:30 left to finish the upload, he would duck behind cover just outside the circle so that the upload never finished.. then he was taken out. Game over.. I was amazed that someone could have an N7 that high and still be so bad.

And wow, for a change I thought I'd join a public gold lobby. Got kicked out of every game I joined. How peculiar. I guess they thought a level 12 infiltrator shouldn't be on gold; had no problems getting highest score at that level on gold before. Evidently they overlooked my N7 level of 237, but considering the classes they planned on using, I would probably have ended up reviving people non-stop.

Yeah. Character level means nothing. I've been leveling my quarian infiltrator to 20, promoting and leveling again, all in gold matches. If you know what you're doing there's no reason you can't handle gold with a low level, even a brand new level 1 character. That said, if you don't know what you're doing, it doesn't matter if you have a level 20, you still won't manage gold. With that in mind I do tend to kick people from gold public lobbies if their N7 rating is less than ~120. I think by the time you've reached 120 you've had enough time to level each class once, or one/several classes a bunch of times and should know how to handle yourself. It is kind of shitty to boot people, but honestly, attempting gold with your human soldier and your N7 of 15 is just a waste of my time and yours.

I'd be more than happy to boss up a gold run with somebody with an even lower N7 rating than yours (and I do regularly) if they were rocking a salarian engineer. The very fact that you have that character unlocked at all says something. Turning up to a gold lobby with the salarian engineer says to me "I know what needs doing here", which is exactly why it irritates me so much when they turn out to be grab fags. The only other thing I see regularly which I find annoying is when I'm trying to infiltrate and capture objectives, and some fool won't stop "covering" me. I'm sat there capturing with my tactical cloak on and he's hanging out and aggroing every enemy in the vicinity, invariably getting himself killed and leaving me in the middle of a meet n greet for geth primes that all want to be my new daddy. Even then though, I understand that they don't know what they're doing and are just trying to help, but the engineer forgetting his decoy because he's busy making grabs is inexcusable.

...sits out for 5 rounds.. Suddenly he gets loud in the mic 'Hey teammates, hey teammates! Thanks for protecting me, I went out for a smoke'.. For 5 rounds??

LOL anything that happened to him in those 5 rounds, he deserved. :mad:

In any online game there are dickheads. Just the universal truth. :p

Had a bushwookie or two. Which is hilarious to me considering how small these maps are. Some dickbags with sniper rifles go hide in a corner the whole game sniping and not helping the team with objectives, revives, anything. Just staying in the same spot. Meanwhile myself and the other two dudes are doing our jobs, covering each other, reviving each other etc...

So when he gets flanked or overwhelmed, he starts wailing into the mic "guys guys!!! I'm doooowwwwwnnn!!! you're supposed to protect me!!! Come revive me!!!" He's on the complete oppostite side of the map, one dude with me just said "revive yourself" and we just laughed.

Kill stealers. If I end up in lobbies with guys habitually doing this I hang back and stop attacking so aggressively, then return the favour with Overload if I have it, insta-kill out from under them.

Constantly-needing-to-be-revived-morons. I've seen guys go head first into a crowd on wave 1, and get downed. Soon as you clear a path and revive they go and do the exact same thing again, repeatedly. Yah, just have to ignore them after a while.

I experienced my first modded game today.

Jedi: damn!! Haven't seen that yet, hope I never do!

I don't mind the MP in general, it's quite fun, more maps will be welcome as the ones we do have are getting pretty stale. But I do find it annoyingly laggy. Quite often I feel like I'm teleporting around the map.

Edited by Opiate42

Had a bushwookie or two. Which is hilarious to me considering how small these maps are. Some dickbags with sniper rifles go hide in a corner the whole game sniping and not helping the team with objectives, revives, anything. Just staying in the same spot. Meanwhile myself and the other two dudes are doing our jobs, covering each other, reviving each other etc...

So when he gets flanked or overwhelmed, he starts wailing into the mic "guys guys!!! I'm doooowwwwwnnn!!! you're supposed to protect me!!! Come revive me!!!" He's on the complete oppostite side of the map, one dude with me just said "revive yourself" and we just laughed.

I'd have to see how you play to either support or reject this. I pretty much exclusively play gold, and to do a gold run successfully you need to hold a position with classes that work well together and include someone with serious crowd control skills such as a salarian engineer. That said, anybody that doesn't get their hands dirty and help with a hack is dead to me.

Kill stealers. If I end up in lobbies with guys habitually doing this I hang back and stop attacking so aggressively, then return the favour with Overload if I have it, insta-kill out from under them.

Again, this is circumstantial for me. The xp gained by everybody is divided equally between the group, so "kill stealing" shouldn't be an issue as long as the enemies are going down. In fact it's well worth noting that you get more xp for 50 revives than you do for 50 kills. That said however, if somebody is genuinely trying to hog all of your kills, they probably aren't meting out damage across the entire field of enemies or assuming their share of the aggro, which is ultimately bad for the team.

Constantly-needing-to-be-revived-morons. I've seen guys go head first into a crowd on wave 1, and get downed. Soon as you clear a path and revive they go and do the exact same thing again, repeatedly. Yah, just have to ignore them after a while.

Ugh. Yes. As niko said, possibly in this very thread, just let them bleed out. By wave three or four they've usually either got with the program or quit. Either is fine by me. It can definitely be a positive part of the learning experience to spend a few rounds in spectator mode once you've been butchered, so you can watch your teammates do things properly.

Most annoying thing would be for me that I haven't found out how to mute spesific players yet, if it's even possible. I just had a match with someone who was obviously messing around with plastic bags or w.e, then suddently an alarm clock went off, and a door bell, (imagine getting cut to pieces by a brute and fed to a banshee, and then a door bell rings)