Ranking mode stage 2 sucks.

Durdens Wrath

On my first play through on story mode, on normal difficulty, I tried both auto aim and manual aim with no luck, always got stuck at last 3rd base. I ended up switching it to easy just for that part, and got through 1st time. Bizarrely, since, and as someone else also experienced, I was a second from beating it on my first time on hard, compared to normal difficulty.

Been using it on easy to try and kill as many zombies as possible, to help rack up points for the beat Dad's score achievement though.

I needed to join in on the Baseball Ranked Rage club just to calm my nerves. I think I am going to skip over this level to try for the rest first. I wouldn't have been so pissed (rage quit ftw) if the mini game came in the first part of the level. Twenty or so minutes for absolutely nothing... THAT'S what makes it the worst. I can't wait to be done with the game already.

I spent more time trying to pass Stage 2 in ranking mode, than trying to pass the Gondola game without shooting. Just saying.

That was exactly what happened to me. The Gondola game, upon failing, restarts you right at the checkpoint when doing in story mode. In ranking, you could just shoot your way through as well. But this baseball, man, 20 minutes of just trying to reach it, and then dying, and redoing 20 minutes of gameplay, over and over again. That takes the straw.

Slightly off topic but on Stage 1, which is long, I got all the way to the junkyard and stupidly pressed the wrong button on the last QTE with a car before Zed. Stupid on my part, but frustrating considering I'd breezed through the whole damn level.

I'm at the point where I try once, fail... then quit. It's too long to do the whole thing each time.

I've read several suggestions on how to get through it (I'm on Easy which I realize switches to Normal). The biggest deal is the aiming. While most swear by manual aim, others have said to rapid fire using auto. I've tried Manual aim each time and can't imagine going through this just to test out the auto rapid aim. Also, if you are using manual do you constantly hold in the left trigger or only when you are about to shoot? Any tips from those who passed it would be greatly appreciated.

I feel bad saying but I found this easy. Played through hard on my first playthrough and did baseball without getting hit. Went back did the level on easy only got hit once, then played ranking mode on normal and only got hit once.

I died once on the gondola game on ranking mode and had a mini rage fit lol

it's amazing i went through this stage like 3 times in story mode, once on easy and twice on hard and i never once had trouble with the baseball mini game. The second i go for my ranked run i get killed 3 times... I couldn't frigging believe it. I finally got it after my fourth attempt.

Best tip: Aim for the pitchers FIRST. Pitchers do the most damage and they also the easiest to take out. They always spawn on the pitchers mound starting after Nick reaches home base for the first time. If you playing your ranked run on normal they die in 1 hit. even body shots

This is the worse stage of all the rank modes, I used manual aim on the zombie baseball but its the biggest pile of BS on this level. I BARELY go thru this on rank normal but I got past this 1st try on HARD! WTF that makes no sense and the zombies are even twice and hard to shoot and kill plus you get those special infected that have more health!

This was the bane of my existance on this game til lastnight when I got the rank achievement, I beat dads score for stage 2, I got go medal racer go and all the BGM music in one sitting so all I can say is THANK GOD and screw this game it's going back to gamefly and I hope that they DON'T make any DLC with achievements for this damn game!

I finally got it after watching a few videos to see the pattern. I had a few times I almost made it but got screwed on the last run. Killing the pitchers and making sure all enemies around him die are definitely first priority. My biggest problem was trying to kill as many as I could instead of keeping my focus on pitchers and zombies closest. Oh and grabbing more ammo. THAT mess up left a palm print on my forehead for a while. I'm just glad it's over with.

• 2 weeks later...
it's amazing i went through this stage like 3 times in story mode, once on easy and twice on hard and i never once had trouble with the baseball mini game. The second i go for my ranked run i get killed 3 times... I couldn't frigging believe it. I finally got it after my fourth attempt.

Same here. Had to play this level two or three times on Ranked because I died on that part. I think I lost track of one of the cheerleaders during the first attempt and she killed Nick. No idea what went wrong the second time. I guess Ranked > Normal is more difficult than Story > Hard, at least on this stage... Bizarre indeed. :confused:

Managed to did it on the first try (nick only got hit once, so 3/4 of life left).

Once the second round, here's how I did :

Kill pitchers as soon as they appear (check often if there is a new one pitcher on the field). Once the pitcher is killed, kill the zombies near Nick (classic zombies/cheerleaders). Once a new pitcher appear (check every 5/10s), kill him then redo the same as before.

About the ammos, just stay on the location where they are spawning to get the automatically.

But I had to do the stage 4 three time, but it was my fault (first time, died at the QTE with the helicopter because I didn't had any ammo for the gun. Second time, I thought I was on a safe spot on Gondola game but I wasn't).

I did all the ranked, just missing Dad's score on stage 2 and 4, but I wo'nt do the stage 2 in ranked mode to get it, it's pretty useless, you can get them without the bonus, and sometimes even with using one continue, only -5000 to your score, not so much).

Edited by davhuit

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Use manual aim for the baseball. It's much easier as you can choose who you shoot instead of the stupid locking system locking onto less dangerous zombies.

THIS but I leave it manual for the whole game, auto-lockon sucks. Manual lets you get headshots easier, and overall better control of the chainsaw blaster.

For baseball, concentrate on what is in front of Nick first before you kill other stuff. But keep an eye on the pitchers mound too, stand right where the ammo respawns and you dont really have to move at all, and can just worry about shooting. Unload on them if they get too close, dont just take pot shots, cause if you miss they will hit him. I failed my first couple trys on normal the 1st time, then switched to manual aim and have not failed the 3 times I have played the level afterwards, even on hard he didn't get hit once.

Edited by Midnight Malice

• 1 year later...

I haven't had a problem with any of the stages in Ranking Mode until I got to stage 1 (I did all the others but accidentally skipped over this one), I failed once at the cake part accidentally kicking the zombie into the cake, then messed up on a QTE right before Zed. For whatever reason I saw :ybut: but my thumb wanted to press :bbut:. -.-

• 2 months later...
Too many instant death sequences.

Baseball sucks, especially sparkle hunts that throw off your aim.

And sorry 2-2 is not a loss.

Now I have to play through the whole godddamn annoying stage to attempt again.

My problem was it stopped spawning ammo. I mean.. what? You just stand there and watch him die. It's stupid. And the second time, he died on second base during sparkle hunting. I beat it on the third try.

The goal is to pretty much not kill enemies until you have to, which is contrary to EVERYTHING else in the game. And when you fail, you start over at the beginning. And it's right before the boss. Thanks for a identical mode with no checkpoints. You can already abuse infinite score in 3/7 levels.

I haven't had a problem with any of the stages in Ranking Mode until I got to stage 1 (I did all the others but accidentally skipped over this one), I failed once at the cake part accidentally kicking the zombie into the cake, then messed up on a QTE right before Zed. For whatever reason I saw :ybut: but my thumb wanted to press :bbut:. -.-

Stage 1 was what made me say "fuck this achievement" over a year ago. But I got it on one shot last night, so I figured since it was the hardest stage I might as well get all the rest.

But all in all, aside from ranked stages, the other achievements weren't too tough and were enjoyable for not having to put a huge amount of effort into. Finally 1000/1000 without ever planning to.

Edited by Sizzy

• 3 years later...
The instant death mini games should be skipped in challenge. Stage 4 kicked my ass with the gondola. Completely unfair to have to start over.

This! I put it on manual aim and still it took me 20 tries to get the 3rd home run. I'm was close to sending the game back to gamefly.