Best Chapters for Boosting Enemy Commendations

Clueless

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I said before, these figures should be used as a rough guide only, actual enemy counts may vary. There seems to be some random factors involved in the spawns.

@Clueless: I think you may have to add a disclaimer!

Most likely difficulty.

Nah, it's probably not the difficulty, as Clueless used Easy for these numbers, and 2 games back to back of Shootout in Valhalla on Easy produced very different counts for grunts for me. I wasn't paying attention to the other enemy type, but I barely saw any grunts the first time through, and saw a lot more the second time. Neither time, however, did I see the 40+ that this shows. The Hunter count was dead on both times though.

Go for it, the only reason we have Easy on here is that it's a thread to help with completing the commendations. And as the XP gained is barely affected and you will have to play some levels repeatedly and as quick as possible then it just makes more sense to do them on Easy.

You get all enemy variants on Easy, and the ones you will need most are the basic infantry Grunts and Jackals*. If you do them on higher difficulty levels you are less likely to get infantry.

*The main exception here is Grunt Ultras, they are quite rare and worth bumping up the difficulty every now and then. Especially on V.I.P.

But Normal, Heroic and even Legendary counts can't hurt. I honestly wouldn't bother counting Elites, I completed all the Elite master commendations without even trying. At the very least count Grunt Ultras, Jackals, Jackal Majors, Knight Captains and Crawler Snipers. . I found these hardest to come by. Aim for them and the rest will follow.

I've been a bit SpOpsed out these last few days, it's not as much fun whoring Promethians than it was the Covies.

I was marveling at the incredible number of Grunts and Jackals a player would have to kill in SpOps to master the aforementioned commendations - but then I realized that for the Covenant Destroyer commendation, you don't need regular Grunts or Jackals. My intent for this post is to consolidate hints, tips and enemy numbers for ease of access.

For Covenant Destroyer, these are the best levels strictly by the numbers: E3C5, E5C5, E3C1, E4C3 (for Jackal Majors) and E5C4 (for Grunt Imperial).

Forerunner Destroyer, on the other hand, requires all 7 enemy variants. The best level for the Prometheans is E5C1. To make the most of it, allow the Watchers to summon/resurrect as much as they can before destroying them. Usually, that entails summoning one batch of Crawlers and/or resurrecting one Knight. Sometimes I've seen a Watcher bring back two different Knights, but eventually they run out of Phoenix Downs and they'll focus their attention on the player. Also, E2C5/Gagarin is the best option for regular ol' Crawlers.

Try different things to make the most of the chapter. In E3C4, I've racked up 188 Covie kills by holding off on activating the turrets until the current wave of enemies was exhausted. As soon as you activate a turret, destroy it so it doesn't steal your kills and wait until the Phantoms and Drop Pods stop appearing before moving on to the next one.

In E5C4, I always stomp the Marines with the Mantis so they don't steal a kill or two while I'm distracted, shooting at another group.

The Excel spreadsheet posted on this page is an awesome tool. Props to the creator for taking the time to create it.

And difficulty doesn't affect anything, as far as I can tell. I launch every chapter on Easy and rack up the same number of kills every time - which is all that matters. Good luck and (try to) be patient. It's a long climb...

Edited by Guilty Trace

You should probably note that for the Wheelman commendation, driving around NPC's on the turret doesn't apply (at least from my experience). So you'll have to start up a non-Matchmaking Spartan Ops match with a buddy.

Do Shoot Out In Vahalla, clean out the first waves and DO NOT activate the turrets. Leave one Elite alive, and let him board your ghost and then Hi-jack it back. I completed the Wheelman Mastery using only Sparton Ops. Make sure his health is full before your next try, otherwise he will die. I used the creek and parked my Ghost sideways, so I could Hi-jack faster.

Question: is anybody else unable to find randoms through Spartan ops matchmaking? for me, it sits in an endless search. what i do to get around ths is signin a guest & then log them out right before the match starts.

Never had any problems with SpOps or matchmaking altogether, aside from the "Your NAT is moderate" warnings (which I have since rectified). If you have that problem, add your Xbox's IP address and the proper ports to your router. Other than that, the only telltale sign I'm gonna have a bad time in SpOps matchmaking is if the players in a chapter is under 1000. There's always one chapter with 2000+ players - and that is where I usually go to rake in the XP.

Do Shoot Out In Vahalla, clean out the first waves and DO NOT activate the turrets. Leave one Elite alive, and let him board your ghost and then Hi-jack it back. I completed the Wheelman Mastery using only Sparton Ops. Make sure his health is full before your next try, otherwise he will die. I used the creek and parked my Ghost sideways, so I could Hi-jack faster.

^ This. Goofing around, I got 8 hi-jacks in a minute or so. I could have sworn I did more than that, but maybe I was double-counting and factoring in the times I was getting hi-jacked.

Wheelman Master will at least unlock an armor variant for you. I was racking up assassinations on E1C2 for 'Backstab' and it appears you don't get diddly-squat for that one... aside from the XP, of course. :confused:

Never had any problems with SpOps or matchmaking altogether, aside from the "Your NAT is moderate" warnings (which I have since rectified). If you have that problem, add your Xbox's IP address and the proper ports to your router. Other than that, the only telltale sign I'm gonna have a bad time in SpOps matchmaking is if the players in a chapter is under 1000. There's always one chapter with 2000+ players - and that is where I usually go to rake in the XP.

I generally don't have problems with war games, other than occasional lag. however,my NAT type is always moderate

I generally don't have problems with war games, other than occasional lag. however,my NAT type is always moderate

They say a moderate NAT could possibly limit your ability to play with other people. I opened mine just to see if I could avoid any additional issues, but I've experiences the saame, in that War Games is usually lag free. Spartan Ops, for some reason, will suffer near debilitating lag every other few matches. Random people out there with crap internet, I suppose...

I already replied and quoted this, but a buddy and I just got Wheelman Mastery in maybe a half hour without doing Hi-Jacking.

Get a buddy and go co-op on E1C1 (Land Grab). One of you get in the gunner seat of a Warthog (preferably the Gauss) and the other player drives. Drive around your gunner and let the gunner shoot and kill everything and everybody. He will rack up a max of 150 Wheelman medals - which count toward the commendation! Abandon the Marines from the get-go, because from the side seat they can steal Wheelmans from the gunner and award the driver generic/rocket/sniper kills. Rinse and repeat a few times and you'll have Aviator BOND and the commendation mastered.

They specify that Splatters only count against enemy Spartans, but for Wheelman, all you need are the applicable four medals - no matter how you get them. :woop:

Also, you have to melee the shield head-on, not from the side. Make sure you melee the center of the shield. Anything different most likely results in killing the Jackal.

Yeah thats true.

What also can get you some assasinations. If there is a group of grunts, kill 2 or 3, big chance the rest wil run away.

You can get Backstab Master in less than an hour if you play The Cauldron Base (E5C4) on easy. The covenant are more concerned with the generators than they are you so you can literally dance around them and they won't shoot you (once they're focused on the generator). I got around 80-90 assassinations per game this way.

From the start of the chapter, hop in the mantis and kill the three marines that spawn with you. Once you clear the first objective, you can hop out of the mantis and head into the base. From there, I killed the other two marines and dismantled the UNSC turret (grunts that drop behind it would sometimes get on it). From there, just wait for the covies to drop in and start attacking the generators. You shouldn't lose either one.

Also, sometimes the grunts would start running away flailing their hands. I found that instead of chasing them down and sometimes killing them without assassinating them, it was better to just wait til their attention is back on the generators. I also picked up some fuel rod ammo so I could kill the hunters without much trouble once they dropped in.

Yeah thats true.

What also can get you some assasinations. If there is a group of grunts, kill 2 or 3, big chance the rest wil run away.

If you're going for assassinations, just stand infront of them and either use a hologram or active camo; it'll stun/stagger Elites, Grunts and Jackals assuming you haven't staggered them with the armor ability prior. When staggered you have ample time to move behind and give them a knife to the back.

If you're going for assassinations, just stand infront of them and either use a hologram or active camo; it'll stun/stagger Elites, Grunts and Jackals assuming you haven't staggered them with the armor ability prior. When staggered you have ample time to move behind and give them a knife to the back.

You can shoot grunts in the foot or jackals in the hand to stagger them, then circle-strafe them for the assassination pretty easily too.

just thought u might like to put this down but for the "backstab" commendation. what i found easy was run up to a jackel with a shield and melee his shield away then he would turn around to run away and i could assassinate him. i did "shootout in valhalla" for the hunters and just ran around on easy doing this on jackels.

Edited by acemlc