Upgrading my 360 to an elite

auburn fury

My question is this... I want to trade in my current 360 for an elite. But don't want to lose all my licenses and game data, is there any way i can do this?

I mean i want to give the shop my xbox and get money off the elite, but i think you need to have your original one on to transfer the licenses and stuff.

To be honest gamesaves are the least of my worries, it really is just my licenses. Also because i have an old account on that xbox which i did buy some stuff on like a few arcade games, will their licenses be passed on as well or just things linked to my gamercard?

I know about the license transfer thing, but i don't understand it completely, the biggest one i want to know is will other licenses on my xbox transfer too with my account.

Hope this makes sence =P

When you recover the profiles and transfer the licenses they are transfered to the console. I have done this myself. I had several profiles and transfered all their licenses to my new console

Edit: Licences are permanantly saved to the profile they are downloaded on. They are also saved to the console the profile belongs to....i think

Edited by AlmightyBronco

They have a data transfer cable you can get for free after you buy an elite(there is a card that comes with it, that explains it) and it will switch every nook and cranny of your memory over. I just did it a couple months ago.

And this includes console licenses?

Just one question... How would i transfer my memory if i've already traded my xbox in? =\

And this includes console licenses?

Just one question... How would i transfer my memory if i've already traded my xbox in? =

No, licenses are linked to your console as well.

You couldn't. The key problem here is if you traded your Xbox in before buying the new one. I believe there's a system to switch your account to a different console/hard drive but if it was on another Xbox that someone else bought, I'm not sure what would happen.

Is it possible for you to just trade in your console and not your hard drive? Or perhaps put your account on a memory card (maybe a friend has one?). Because then you could transfer your licenses and everything would be fine (except no saves). Either that or buy the Elite first, use the data transfer cable as well as the license transfer, and then sell your old console.

The only real problem I see is if your account is on a console/hard drive you just traded in and someone used it. But I have no experience with transferring accounts. Either way the only way to keep your saves is to hold on to your hard drive.

So even if i import the profile which originally downloaded the content on my current xbox, it would need to be online when my main account is for the DLC (or game) to work? Is that what i'm understanding? It's getting to the point where i'll just rebuy everything (i can imagine microsoft planning this out a little bit ¬.¬ ) oh well

So even if i import the profile which originally downloaded the content on my current xbox, it would need to be online when my main account is for the DLC (or game) to work? Is that what i'm understanding? It's getting to the point where i'll just rebuy everything (i can imagine microsoft planning this out a little bit ¬.¬ ) oh well

If you're online your DLC/Arcade games will work, in order to use them offline you'll need to do a license transfer.

I was trying to say that I'm not sure what would happen if your sold both your console and hard drive and someone logged into your account on that console. As I said I have no experience with transferring accounts. If you could theoretically transfer your account before anyone touched it on your old console I don't see any problems. However, you still wouldn't have your saves which is why I suggest if possible to buy the new Elite first.

I probably will buy an elite first in all honesty. Play have a good deal going on, and i've just seen how much i'd get for trading in my 360 and it's nothing to brag about.

Just FYI i have all my accounts on a memory card already. I'll just get an elite, then a data transfer and trade in/sell my xbox after transferring everything over. If i have to rebuy some stuff i'll just have to bite the bullet.

Thanks everyone =)

Hey guys, i traded my xbox in first and then bought my new one. Just keeping the hard drive. Thinking all of my arcade games and fallout dlc would work offline but they didnt. Each time i play offline it says all of my 20+ full arcade games are only trials. Please help. Also my fallout3 dlc only works online. Anyone know how to fix this??

Hey guys, i traded my xbox in first and then bought my new one. Just keeping the hard drive. Thinking all of my arcade games and fallout dlc would work offline but they didnt. Each time i play offline it says all of my 20+ full arcade games are only trials. Please help. Also my fallout3 dlc only works online. Anyone know how to fix this??

Did you buy the games with your main account? They should all work on your new hard drive if you go to your purchase history and stay online. If they were bought on someone elses account then you're out of luck i'm afraid. Unless you can be on Xbox live with the account they were bought with they'll be trials \=

http://www.xbox.com/en-CA/support/systemuse/xbox360/licensemigration/default.htm?WT.svl=nav

Follow the instructions and everything should work offline.

i dont think anyone mentioned this, unless i missed it,. . .but has MS told any of you that your only able to do the licence transfer once a year? They told me that, but i havent ran into the situation yet

Yes, after you use it you have to wait 12 months to use it again. I would hope that they let you do it again earlier if you sent your box in for repairs, though.

I did this and it works a treat, so glad i can play all my arcade games again. Once a year is pretty poor though, ''Boo Microsoft''. The only bad thing about it is i had to re-download about 10gb of DLC and Arcade titles.

And once more thanks for the information Viper :)

Hunty.

i dont think anyone mentioned this, unless i missed it,. . .but has MS told any of you that your only able to do the licence transfer once a year? They told me that, but i havent ran into the situation yet

Yeah its a bitch. Ive done it once and it looks like my new xbox is on the way out so its gonna be long arguments on the phone to M$ when it does die.

PS: Why did you change your sig? You used to have Megan Fox right?

I did this and it works a treat, so glad i can play all my arcade games again. Once a year is pretty poor though, ''Boo Microsoft''. The only bad thing about it is i had to re-download about 10gb of DLC and Arcade titles.

And once more thanks for the information Viper :)

Hunty.

No problem :) Yeah it does seem pretty silly, I don't see who's getting hurt with license transfers ... at least make them more frequent then once a year. Oh well.