Sharing my experience with Rustlung Horde "boosting"

vSully

With this method, players can control enemy spawns and finish waves in 10-30 seconds. You need two active players and ideally three idle players (I believe you can get by with two idlers but I haven't tried myself).

EDIT: You can definitely get by with two idlers- one on the silverback side of the munitions bay ammo box and one at the loading dock base.

EDIT2: People have reported using a single idler at the flamethrower/mulcher. Be sure to get the three necessary bases founded asap.

In the image below, purple dots are idle players and red dots are the active killers. Enemies will always spawn at the bulkhead and store room spawns.

http://oi44.tinypic.com/34rw0gm.jpg

Play on Casual difficulty with Super Reload, Big Explosions, and Instagib (to quickly kill normal Berserkers should they spawn).

At the start of the match, give idle players' money to the active players ($2000 and $3000). Once everyone is in position, have an active player found the base at the Incendiary Grenades, then one of the side bases (for $2000). Be sure to ready your Lancer with a full active clip and get into position in the grenade rooms.

Enemies will start spawning about five seconds after the 30 second countdown ends, so be looking down the spawn hallways from the grenade rooms and blast them when they appear. Wave 1 should take about 10 seconds. After wave 1, active players should be able to pool $4000 for the opposite side base. Having these three bases founded asap is crucial to control enemy spawns.

You can buy ink grenades on the even rounds and plant them at the spawn points, but once Boomshots and Frags are obtained (wave 4 or 5), I found the ideal situation between waves was to plant two frags at enemy spawn, buy ammo at the central ammo box twice to fill Boomshot and Frags, then run back to grenade room and wait for the next wave to start. I also run my lancer out of ammo to the point of forced reload, then switch to Boomshot so if I run out of Boomshot ammo, I can switch to Lancer and immediately hit a Super Reload.

Be sure to stay about halfway back in the grenade rooms to help prevent enemies from spawning in there with you. Unfortunately, they will occasionally spawn in there with you but it's usually a single enemy.

For fortifications, the left player should build the barrier marked in yellow near the bulkhead spawn to help prevent enemies from going through that hallway into the central area. The right player should upgrade the sentry marked in yellow as it will focus directly on enemies as they spawn down the hallway. Both players should also eventually build the barrier in the front doorway of the grenade rooms for a little extra protection.

I can't stress how important it is to have 6 Boomshot rounds for every wave and to hit your active reloads. Super Reloaded Lancer is ok but Boomshots kill RIDICULOUSLY FAST.

If idlers die, be sure to re-position them. And remember to share their money with the active players as it will build up over time.

Good luck!

Edited by vSully

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Use the Achievement Trading Thread here or, better yet, check out TA. There's at least one Rustlung session on TA every day.

Believe it or not, I was on TA yesterday searching for the rustlung session and found only 1 this whole week and it was maxed. :( Ill reply to the achievement trading thread. Thanks.

You can buy ink 'nades twice per even round with the possible exception of wave 2 because it may end too quickly. If you get the 'nades within the first 3 or so seconds of the 30-second countdown between the waves, they will respawn to be purchased again about 15 seconds into the next round. You should never run out of ink 'nades. I use Super Reload, Unlimited Ammo, and Instagib, though, because I just restart the game if I am at or beyond wave 25 and they are taking more than a minute to complete. Fastest I've done all 50 waves is 70 minutes exactly, but in that same time period, you can do 60+ waves if you stop when they are no longer efficient.

In general, the right side will have more spawns than the left side. There are exceptions, but in the long run, the stronger player should play the right side.

On rare occasions, something will spawn in the room with you. Keep your head on a swivel and pay attention to the location arrows when you take damage. To minimize the chance of that, though, stand as far back as you can. On the left side, stand to the left of the table, and just behind the back edge. On the right side, stand to the right of the box, and against the back wall.

I can confirm you can get by with 2 idles, having boosted hundreds of waves in such manner. Place one in the munitions bay as noted in your picture, and the other on the command post in the loading dock. The upshot here is that fewer enemies spawn, so waves are that much easier to control.

With this method, players can control enemy spawns and finish waves in 10-30 seconds. You need two active players and ideally three idle players (I believe you can get by with two idlers but I haven't tried myself).

In the image below, purple dots are idle players and red dots are the active killers. Enemies will always spawn at the bulkhead and store room spawns.

http://oi44.tinypic.com/34rw0gm.jpg

Play on Casual difficulty with Super Reload, Big Explosions, and either Instagib or Infinite ammo (your preference).

At the start of the match, give idle players' money to the active players ($2000 and $3000). Once everyone is in position, have an active player found the base at the Incendiary Grenades, then one of the side bases (for $2000). Be sure to ready your Lancer with a full active clip and get into position in the grenade rooms.

Enemies will start spawning about five seconds after the 30 second countdown ends, so be looking down the spawn hallways from the grenade rooms and blast them when they appear. Wave 1 should take about 10 seconds. After wave 1, active players should be able to pool $4000 for the opposite side base. Having these three bases founded asap is crucial to control enemy spawns.

You can buy ink grenades on the even rounds and plant them at the spawn points, but once Boomshots and Frags are obtained (wave 4 or 5), I found the ideal situation between waves was to plant two frags at enemy spawn, buy ammo at the central ammo box twice to fill Boomshot and Frags, then run back to grenade room and wait for the next wave to start. I also run my lancer out of ammo to the point of forced reload, then switch to Boomshot so if I run out of Boomshot ammo, I can switch to Lancer and immediately hit a Super Reload.

Be sure to stay about halfway back in the grenade rooms to help prevent enemies from spawning in there with you. Unfortunately, they will occasionally spawn in there with you but it's usually a single enemy.

For fortifications, the left player should build the barrier marked in yellow near the bulkhead spawn to help prevent enemies from going through that hallway into the central area. The right player should upgrade the sentry marked in yellow as it will focus directly on enemies as they spawn down the hallway. Both players should also eventually build the barrier in the front doorway of the grenade rooms for a little extra protection.

I can't stress how important it is to have 6 Boomshot rounds for every wave and to hit your active reloads. Super Reloaded Lancer is ok but Boomshots kill RIDICULOUSLY FAST.

If idlers die, be sure to re-position them. And remember to share their money with the active players as it will build up over time.

Good luck!

Still need help with this sully? You helped me finish this atrocious medal

You can buy ink 'nades twice per even round with the possible exception of wave 2 because it may end too quickly. If you get the 'nades within the first 3 or so seconds of the 30-second countdown between the waves, they will respawn to be purchased again about 15 seconds into the next round. You should never run out of ink 'nades. I use Super Reload, Unlimited Ammo, and Instagib, though, because I just restart the game if I am at or beyond wave 25 and they are taking more than a minute to complete. Fastest I've done all 50 waves is 70 minutes exactly, but in that same time period, you can do 60+ waves if you stop when they are no longer efficient.

In general, the right side will have more spawns than the left side. There are exceptions, but in the long run, the stronger player should play the right side.

On rare occasions, something will spawn in the room with you. Keep your head on a swivel and pay attention to the location arrows when you take damage. To minimize the chance of that, though, stand as far back as you can. On the left side, stand to the left of the table, and just behind the back edge. On the right side, stand to the right of the box, and against the back wall.

I can confirm you can get by with 2 idles, having boosted hundreds of waves in such manner. Place one in the munitions bay as noted in your picture, and the other on the command post in the loading dock. The upshot here is that fewer enemies spawn, so waves are that much easier to control.

With frags and boomshots, wave 49 takes no longer than wave 9 so we always finish all 50 waves. We did 50 waves three times yesterday, all in under an hour with the fastest being 52 minutes. Gunker, Reaver, and Corpser waves (even if it's wave 40) take literally 15 seconds. Berserker waves don't take much longer. Lambent Zerker waves are annoying and take a couple minutes.

I've started swapping my lancer for a Digger, which works just as good as a Boomshot (just moves a little slower). I can fire 6 boomshot rounds and 6 Digger rounds (assuming I don't miss any actives) and refill both and one frag for 1000 at the ammo box.

I need 150 more waves. Hope to bang them out today/tonight.

With frags and boomshots, wave 49 takes no longer than wave 9 so we always finish all 50 waves. We did 50 waves three times yesterday, all in under an hour with the fastest being 52 minutes. Gunker, Reaver, and Corpser waves (even if it's wave 40) take literally 15 seconds. Berserker waves don't take much longer. Lambent Zerker waves are annoying and take a couple minutes.

I've started swapping my lancer for a Digger, which works just as good as a Boomshot (just moves a little slower). I can fire 6 boomshot rounds and 6 Digger rounds (assuming I don't miss any actives) and refill both and one frag for 1000 at the ammo box.

I need 150 more waves. Hope to bang them out today/tonight.

Yeah. I was playing with you last night through Spoony. It's definitely faster than my method (even if someone forgot to turn on instagib, but something about the ink 'nades downing tons of guys practically makes me squeal with glee. Took us exactly 1 hour to do 50 waves, and usually I can do 25-28 waves in 30 minutes using the ink 'nade method, so it's a bit of a wash.

i played 300 waves with my buddy, and can confirm that 4 players works pretty well. we used the ink method, but maybe we try the silverback and boomshot method.

currently 800/2000 waves, so its a long road...

(Sorry, no friend request now, me and my buddy are doing this)

Today we found a way to refine this method into having 2 players in each room killing with 1 idle in the middle. We did all 50 waves in 49:50, and that was after spending 3 minutes killing a Lambent Zerker on wave 50 so potentially around 46 minutes.

Just gotta buy every base except the one near Silverback, and have your idle guy on the Scorcher/Mulcher spawn.

And as an update to Spoony's post, we did another 50 waves in 52 minutes with Spoony having locked up and dropped out for about 15 of those waves. So this technique also works with 3 players. 1 in each room, and one on the Scorcher/Mulcher. Our wave 50 was 12 seconds in duration once you take out the 35 seconds of fluff.

This method is awesome. Whenever it's Reavers for the boss wave it's pretty much instantly over. Spamming boomshots down the hallway is hilarious. when Spoony dropped, we still managed to knock out the waves pretty fast with only 3 people.

Thanks to SuperiorPosture for the invite. I didn't even realize it was you until I saw your GT on here, lol. Now I'm upset that I missed out on your Skunker lobbies.

I'm definitely down for this method whenever, so just message me if you wanna set up a match of this.

This method is awesome. Whenever it's Reavers for the boss wave it's pretty much instantly over. Spamming boomshots down the hallway is hilarious. when Spoony dropped, we still managed to knock out the waves pretty fast with only 3 people.

Thanks to SuperiorPosture for the invite. I didn't even realize it was you until I saw your GT on here, lol. Now I'm upset that I missed out on your Skunker lobbies.

I'm definitely down for this method whenever, so just message me if you wanna set up a match of this.

Ill send you a FR tonight and let me know if you have a game going. I ended up working a double shift last night so got home and passed out. :(

Still plugging away at Idle Boosting friends, been away from my xbox for almost 2 days. I check on it every few hours to make sure it's still going

Iron if your around this weekend I can help knock off some waves since you and sully helped me a ton

How many more matches do you need Zero??? and sully if you need an extra guy im down to help, got nothing planned this weekend so i just need a message and ill jump on.