Video driver help after "downgrading" to XP from Vista..

Hieroglitch

I'm running an emachines, T3656. Originally, it came with windows Vista. I had to re-boot everything, and incidentally used windows XP re-installation CDs.. And so what do you know, I'm running XP..

This has been an issue for a long time, and I sort of just accepted the fact that I can't play any games that are 3D, for instance.. Now, I've decided that there must be something I can do, that I didn't figure out when I'd initially ran into this problem.. I really want to play a damn game. Let's say I download an emulator to play an N64 video game? I get this error as soon as I start up the emulator;

"Direct3D failed to initialize your HAL device; Make sure you have a properly configured 3D graphics card compatible with Direct3D 6.0"

At this point, I'd love to re-boot it once again and go back to Vista, but I don't have the Vista recovery discs.. I guess I could still call for them, but I'm hoping there's a quicker, easier alternative to being able to run games again? Originally I had no problem

Doing a little Google-searching, I'd just tried locating my video driver via Device Manager, and I've got "Video Controller (VGA Compatible)".. Not sure what this is, exactly, if it is the video driver.. The "details" tab is blank, any "update/installation" attempt fails because it can't find the hardware or something.. So I went to the Emachines site and put in my model information and got all of the drivers needed.. Really just the video driver.

Tried to install it.. And apparently it's not a good idea to do with XP, it's not a guarantee that it'll work or that it wouldn't totally mess up my computer, so said the pop-up window.. So what the hell do I do? Is there not a video driver for my model that CAN work with XP, since I "downgraded" (Some would probably consider it an upgrade)? Or is my model somehow tied to Vista? What could I possibly do?

I just want to run some nintendo 64 games, dang it.

EDIT: It also says that the default/selected video plugin is missing or invalid.

Edited by Hieroglitch

Thanks, dude, but, uh, I posted this thread on another board (totally unrelated to this sort of stuff, ironically) and someone linked me to a driver that actually WORKED! Woo! I could finally play all of the stuff I used to.. So I'm reliving my childhood once again with a few dozen N64 ROMs now. Time to go play Paper Mario now. ;)