Ghost People Discussion

SovietCrusade

These things really rightly earned their place under the abomination category. My theory is that the are some kind of android, so security measure gone wrong, etc.

1) They avoid any negotiation with the Ghoul

2) Dog talks about the taste of "burnt wires"

3) Dismemberment usually spurts out a substance which I believe to be petrol

Any other theories? I would love to hear them.

It was implied that they were the remnants of former inhabitants of the Sierra Madre, specifically the workers that built the place. The gas was leaked early on accidentally during construction, so when repairing it they needed Hazmat suits. The hazmat suites corroded given brief exposure, so they had to cut their way out.

It's been hundreds of years since the war, so the original inhabitants clearly couldn't still be around if they were human.

My guess is that some survived the gas and were mutated by it while the majority died (the same way the FEV affected humans on the East Coast). The mutated survivors must have felt a similar compulsion to kidnap unmutated humans and mutate them, since you hear frequent references to their history of dragging victims off rather than simply killing them. There are also a fuckton of them, and a fuckton of people have gone missing trying to gain access to the treasures in the Sierra Madre while very few corpses remain in the streets which suggests that they do take the majority of the bodies.

Another notion that floats through my mind, something that might fit better with the wires, is that the cloud is comprised of nanomachines, and ghosts are corpses that have been converted to cyborgs of some kind. The trouble is that there isn't any specific indication of such technology being utilized here (although it does fit with the security-protocol-gone-insane theory). This would help explain, however, why they're so numerous. The gas clearly harms you, and it seems to harm the other companions as well, so if it just mutates some without killing them, ghost people should be rare as opposed to numerous.

It's all speculation, really. We're missing too much information to make even an informed guess. If we knew what the cloud was and where it came from, we could maybe understand better, but that information seems to be absent from the DLC.

We can know that it isn't natural, obviously, and that it isn't something caused by the radiation of nuclear war, since it was present beforehand, but we don't know why it covers the whole surrounding area now or where it comes from, or even what it's made of. It's certainly artificial, but the nature of the cloud is essentially unknown.

I don't think they're purely robots. Cutting off a robot's arm wouldn't stop it from getting back up. I doubt it's petrol shooting out when you kill them, and the taste of wires could relate to their suits as opposed to the bodies in them. Still, not sure.

I don't think they're purely robots. Cutting off a robot's arm wouldn't stop it from getting back up. I doubt it's petrol shooting out when you kill them, and the taste of wires could relate to their suits as opposed to the bodies in them. Still, not sure.

That sounds right to me... Ghosts trapped in a suit they cannot escape to live as the undead for all eternity. Hence why once you shoot a body part off (and therefore compromise the suit) they don't get back up.

These things really rightly earned their place under the abomination category. My theory is that the are some kind of android, so security measure gone wrong, etc.

1) They avoid any negotiation with the Ghoul

2) Dog talks about the taste of "burnt wires"

3) Dismemberment usually spurts out a substance which I believe to be petrol

Any other theories? I would love to hear them.

Seem like just ghosts, to me, trapped in suits. Though ghosts have been a part of the Fallout world since the beginning.:p

have you ever heard the stories of the morbidly obese people (in real life) who can't move from the couch, and eventually their flesh fuses with the couch fibers? maybe the hazmat suits reacted with the gas cloud in the same way.

I've never heard of that. Is that a real thing? I mean, even if you didn't get up, you'd have to stay in the exact same position... how exactly would the fibers penetrate your skin and start becoming part of your flesh?

Are you sure that isn't just like.. some weird rumor to discourage cupcake eating contests?

I've never heard of that. Is that a real thing? I mean, even if you didn't get up, you'd have to stay in the exact same position... how exactly would the fibers penetrate your skin and start becoming part of your flesh?

Are you sure that isn't just like.. some weird rumor to discourage cupcake eating contests?

That is completely false. Come on now...

I've seen things on people who sit on toilets 24/7 365days a year. As a result their butts literally fuse to the toilet seat and get stuck. So it is possible.

On topic: I wish they would have gave us a more detailed back story for them. That's my only gripe about the addition of them. They are definetly not robots, they way they get dissmembered is very "organic". I think they are just mutated people from the pre-war times or mutated prospectors.

I sort of think it's a security measure gone wrong as well. He wanted to protect them from invaders and irradiated monsters. I think the cloud is a cloud of nanomachines that attack flesh. When the victim is dead, they basically sequestrate the body to protect the Sierra Madre from infiltration. It's still flesh, but unless you destroy the body significantly, the nanomachines can regenerate them fairly quickly and have them on their feet again.

Don't know why the suits, though. It still seems like it has to relate to the cloud, and the original inhabitants of the suits should be long dead if they were merely human.

I thought it was a pretty obvious explanation. I thought they were just essentially Feral Ghouls trapped inside suits and armed with weapons. And that they were slightly different from regular Feral Ghouls in that the cloud messed them up, which is why their limbs have to be severed to kill them. Them being Ghouls would also explain why they lived for so long.

Now if someone above said that there are wires or something that fall out when you sever their limbs, I never saw that, and don't really have an explanation. Other then maybe the wires are just part of the suit itself.

I thought it was a pretty obvious explanation. I thought they were just essentially Feral Ghouls trapped inside suits and armed with weapons. And that they were slightly different from regular Feral Ghouls in that the cloud messed them up, which is why their limbs have to be severed to kill them. Them being Ghouls would also explain why they lived for so long.

I thought about that, but feral ghouls wouldn't attack Dean, and ghosts do.

I've seen things on people who sit on toilets 24/7 365days a year. As a result their butts literally fuse to the toilet seat and get stuck. So it is possible.

i was trying to find a quick article to show you about the couch fusing, so i googled "obese couch fusing" and well... apparently this happens more than it should.

The woman in that articles flesh had grown into the fabric of the sofa to make the 'fusion'. So perhaps it's feasable but it's not what some might think it is. It's not a genetic fusion but just the act of skin getting caught in the fibers of the sofa, thus they're binded or fused as they put it.

As to how someone fusing to an object like a toilet seat? I find it hard to believe, unless their fat rolls mended all the way around the seat and the flesh closed the seat within.

To me it's no difference than letting your hair grow around an inanimate object and calling it a fusion.

The woman in that articles flesh had grown into the fabric of the sofa to make the 'fusion'. So perhaps it's feasable but it's not what some might think it is. It's not a genetic fusion but just the act of skin getting caught in the fibers of the sofa, thus they're binded or fused as they put it.

To me it's no difference than letting your hair grow around an inanimate object and calling it a fusion.

by no means was i implying that these couch/fat people stories were fusion on a genetic level. the ghosts, however, might fall under that influence with the help of the gas cloud. high-tech hazmat suits combined with potent toxic vapor? sounds like a comic book origin story.

by no means was i implying that these couch/fat people stories were fusion on a genetic level. the ghosts, however, might fall under that influence with the help of the gas cloud. high-tech hazmat suits combined with potent toxic vapor? sounds like a comic book origin story.

Okay I thought you were saying on a genetic level, and was gonna call total b.s. Lol. And yeah I can see a comic book hero coming from that!

I thought about that, but feral ghouls wouldn't attack Dean, and ghosts do.

Why would they not attack Dean? I don't ever remember there being a point where Feral Ghouls don't attack Non-Feral Ghouls. And if that has been explained, I apologize.

And even if that IS the case, these aren't your normal Feral Ghouls either, do to the effect the Cloud has on them.

Why would they not attack Dean? I don't ever remember there being a point where Feral Ghouls don't attack Non-Feral Ghouls. And if that has been explained, I apologize.

An example in this game is the Bright Followers (they had feral ghouls with them that they were going to take on their journey or whatever), but in Fallout 3 you can even get a mask to disguise you as a ghoul, and feral ghouls won't attack you. Feral ghouls only attack non-ghouls.

EDIT:

And even if that IS the case, these aren't your normal Feral Ghouls either, do to the effect the Cloud has on them.

That's true, but it still seems to imply that they aren't feral ghouls. There seem to be too many of them for them to all just be left overs from 200+ years ago. I mean, there can't have been THAT many workers back then, and even if every single one wore a suit and miraculously every single one became a feral ghoul when exposed to radiation (rather than just dying, like most people did), after enough people tried to claim the treasures of the Sierra Madre, you'd think enough of them would have died that the population would be significantly diminished.

To me, it just seems like they drag off victims to mutate them, like the East Coast super mutants. Otherwise, I don't see why they'd have a history of dragging people into the cloud rather than just killing them, and I don't see how they'd maintain a steady population.

Of course, to be fair, it's not like the writers are going to sit down and think out the logistics of a population like this, so these considerations might mean nothing in terms of what was intended by the writers of the game.

Edited by Ethereal235

• 6 months later...